• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

EagleEyes

codecow said:
I am a bit surprised at the multi disk hate. Nobody wants to release on multiple disks, it costs more to manufacture the game. The reason games are on multiple disks is because they don't fit on one.
Don't worry, it's not really a problem to be on 2 discs. There are just certain people on the internet that like to make it seem awful because it will make their console of choice look better because it runs on one disc. Adults won't have a problem getting up once to change a disc on an amazing game.

codecow said:
I am a bit surprised at the multi disk hate. Nobody wants to release on multiple disks, it costs more to manufacture the game. The reason games are on multiple disks is because they don't fit on one.
GAF overreacts to everything. Getting up and changing a disc one time isn't bad at all.

Irish

EagleEyes said:
Don't worry, it's not really a problem to be on 2 discs. There are just certain people on the internet that like to make it seem awful because it will make their console of choice look better because it runs on one disc. Adults won't have a problem getting up once to change a disc on an amazing game.

Really?

EagleEyes said:

:lol :lol :lol

Minamu

Anyone else getting this? :lol

5L8hj.png

Unitology tomorrow!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Minamu said:
Anyone else getting this? :lol

5L8hj.png

Unitology tomorrow!

I wish. I getting "Subscribe to Oprah's O Now!" Damn wife. <_<

So jealous of all these early pick-ups! The wait for my Collector's Edition is getting painful.

Keep all the impressions coming though, please! Glad to hear they're all positive.
codecow said:
I hear it's pretty awesome.

Can you confirm its awesomeness?

Replicant

EagleEyes said:

I hope there are *a lot* of backtracking in this game where one location is in one disc and another location is in the 2nd disc.

:)

Minamu

Burger said:
Tell me more...
Click it :)

It was actually oxygen/stasis, my bad. It's not perfect since you have to enter the code each time stasis run out, but there's zero penalty for using any of the codes, when it comes to trophies or achievements. I hope it's like that in DS2 as well.

LM4sure

Banned
Just finished chapter 3. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!

Was planning on finishing Red Dead Redemption this weekend but since I picked the game up this afternoon there's no chance it's happening!

MP seems beh though. Won't put too much time into it I can tell you.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
LM4sure said:
Just finished chapter 3. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!

Was planning on finishing Red Dead Redemption this weekend but since I picked the game up this afternoon there's no chance it's happening!

MP seems beh though. Won't put too much time into it I can tell you.

do you find yourself upgrading the plasma cutter more, or splurging for the new weapons? does that seem pretty balanced, having to make those options?

imperium

Just got a call from Gamestop, they're doing a midnight launch for DS2. Surprised somewhat since I thought it might fly under the radar.

So GAF, as a fan of the original, should I take the plunge? I'm really concerned that the focus was shifted from disturbed, lonely man in desolate, vaccuum-like space wastes to action omg. I welcome the shift to new locales and perhaps more of a "bustling citizenship" but I just don't know what to think. I've gone on a total media blackout here with this game because of my concerns.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So GAF, as a fan of the original, should I take the plunge? I'm really concerned that the focus was shifted from disturbed, lonely man in desolate, vaccuum-like space wastes to action omg. I welcome the shift to new locales and perhaps more of a "bustling citizenship" but I just don't know what to think. I've gone on a total media blackout here with this game because of my concerns.
You should have no concerns. You feel as isolated and alone in this game as DS1

Enojado

watched first 30 minutes of the game (links going up on youtube of complete game playthrough) and i'm getting pumped. can't wait till tuesday. i'm having the game delivered to my work and it's going to be killer just seeing it sit there and not being able to play it.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I've been sort of avoiding news about this game, but am psyched to play it this week. If somebody could be so kind as to quickly catch me up: Are there any good pre-order deals or should I just use the Best Buy gift card I've got and get it in-store. I've got a PS3 and 360, which version should I go with?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
tedtropy said:
I've been sort of avoiding news about this game, but am psyched to play it this week. If somebody could be so kind as to quickly catch me up: Are there any good pre-order deals or should I just use the Best Buy gift card I've got and get it in-store. I've got a PS3 and 360, which version should I go with?
I think the preorder only thing is an extra weapon from Gamestop and a free copy of Ignition from most places. Playing Ignition will get you the Hacker Suit in Dead Space 2. The two versions are identical from a technical standpoint but the PS3 version also comes with Dead Space Extraction (and HD rerelease of the Wii game) for free in the first run.

I want to pick this up but just got Mass Effect 2 PS3. My question is if I buy this new at a later date will I still get Extraction? Or is that just a limited early adopter/pre order thing?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TSAGoodness said:
I want to pick this up but just got Mass Effect 2 PS3. My question is if I buy this new at a later date will I still get Extraction? Or is that just a limited early adopter/pre order thing?
It's just an early adopter thing, not exclusive to preorders. It will be up on PSN to buy separately at some point.

RoboPlato said:
It's just an early adopter thing, not exclusive to preorders. It will be up on PSN to buy separately at some point.

Hmm, ok thanks. Tempted to cancel my Killzone 3 preorder and pick this up.

DevelopmentArrested said:
You should have no concerns. You feel as isolated and alone in this game as DS1

Alright, I'll take your word for it, especially after watching videos. Let me say that once I heard Mogwai's "Batcat" in one of the trailers on Steam I pretty much instant-ordered.

Fuck, this game snuck right up on me folks!

shwimpy

According to the PS Blog, Extraction (with demo) will be available on PSN day one... no word yet on the price.

How limited will this limited edition be since this is the case...? =/

Nabs

Avyrocky said:
Anyone played the PC version yet?

I hope that shit with the v-sync is not in this one...

You could always just disable vsync in the first one and use D3D instead.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Take the plunge. It's probably better in just about every aspect. It's not 'action omg', but there's more variety in what you do and the set pieces. From what I've heard, it actually more frightening then the original (if you actually did find the original frightening). And Isaac is still the focus... he's still disturbed, still lonely (though there's a bigger cast, I guess), and instead of a desolate locale, it's a panic-ridden dying one.

codecow

shwimpy said:
According to the PS Blog, Extraction (with demo) will be available on PSN day one... no word yet on the price.

I suggest you get it ASAP.

shwimpy said:

What's holding you back from buying the game? If you're eventually planning on buying DS2 and have interest in Extraction..just BUY IT IN TWO DAYS BRAH!

dak1dsk1

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
Well you'll be able to use a PS3/360 controller on PC, so you can use them if you don't like the KB+M controls.
Don't you need some kinda special homebrew driver to run a ps3 controller on PC?

VaLiancY

I'm a dumbass for forgetting about this game releasing on Tuesday. I want my Rivet Gun so hopefully I can still get it when I do a preorder.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Finally played the DS2 demo after just beating DS1 a couple nights ago.

Going to be hard to get used to the new button shortcuts.
I miss Select going to Map, and Triangle going to Inventory.

I kept wasting Stasis thingies.

I like that throwing objects actually does something now.

seady

I wonder if you are still exploring the whole space lonely by yourself, or will you get to meet more people this time around?

UFRA

Got my call from Automated Ashley at GameStop! Midnight launch at my location!!!

Yeah...I'll pick it up Tuesday afternoon lol.

eso76

yay, spoiled the entire first chapter for myself.
But i'm glad i did.

As someone who thought DS1 was a good, solid game ultimately ruined by the fact it relied on very few ideas repeating through the entire game, predictable set pieces, with too many instances where the doors would lock and monsters would keep coming at you (which dragged on for far too long) and repetitive scenery i have to say this sequel so far had me hooked and genuinely impressed.

Graphics are a nice step up from the original, although it may not look so in screens. The first chapter alone has probably more variety than the entire first game in regards to scenery, which also seems quite a bit more complex and detailed to me. As expected, lighting is impressive and the game really looks gorgeous at times.
It also felt less clumsy and more responsive, but i might be wrong on this, it's been a long time since i played DS1.
Completing the first chapter took nearly one hour (you don't rush through these games, it kills the atmosphere) and there's enough well thought and executed set pieces and variety and a good balance between action and exploration to keep you hooked.
Like i said, i was never with the "OMG DS is the new survival horror masterpiece" crowd as the first game always seemed like one decent idea copy-pasted a few dozen times too many, but they had to drag me away from DS2 (at 3 am, having to wake up at 6 am)

It's become a day one purchase for me, and considering i had so little interest in the game i didn't even bother downloading the demo, that's saying something.
I'm just not sure which version at this point.

Is anyone who owns a PS3 NOT buying the PS3 version? Is there any word of it being an inferior version? I have the first game for 360 but want to get the PS3 version for the Extraction game and I'm just wondering if that's the right choice...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
polyh3dron said:
Is anyone who owns a PS3 NOT buying the PS3 version? Is there any word of it being an inferior version? I have the first game for 360 but want to get the PS3 version for the Extraction game and I'm just wondering if that's the right choice...

I think Extraction will be sold separately on PSN eventually(could have sworn that was confirmed somewhere). Something about it being free for pre-orders and first-run copies, but available to public on PSN over time.

Regardless, I am getting on 360 for achievements mostly(and controller preference). I do already own Extraction for Wii and do not own a Move controller/Eye-cam for my PS3 as of yet to bother with whatever upgrades it will have. Extraction is a nice bonus though.

polyh3dron said:

i'm getting it for PS360 because i want extraction but do not want to play MP on PSN.

Top Bottom