• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Haunted

Frothing demand etc.

Could not give less of a shit about the multiplayer, though. Don't care, don't need it, don't want it.

Christ, I just read the IGN review. How the fuck does a professional reviewer write like that? It read more like a middle school kid writing a review for his school newspaper rather than something that would be published by IGN.
?

I don't see the contradiction.

K' Dash

Haunted said:
Frothing demand etc.

Could not give less of a shit about the multiplayer, though. Don't care, don't need it, don't want it.

?

I don't see the contradiction.

Same here, would appreciate if someone tell me how can I avoid the offering of redeeming the online pass everytime I play the game.

2real4tv

JRW said:
360 version of DS2 is slightly sharper but not enough to cause a big concern, I noticed it when comparing both demos myself and confirmed when looking at Lens of Truth's demo comparison shots.

Something looks wierd with the ps3 shots....even the text is blurry.

rhino4evr

I don't understand the 2 disc problem. I can kinda understand the 4 disc problem in a RPG where you have to switch discs to backtrack...but with a linear game like Dead Space, I don't see what the big deal is.

Anyway..all these reviews are great. Can't wait to play!!!!

rhino4evr said:
I don't understand the 2 disc problem. I can kinda understand the 4 disc problem in a RPG where you have to switch discs to backtrack...but with a linear game like Dead Space, I don't see what the big deal is.

Anyway..all these reviews are great. Can't wait to play!!!!

1. Having 2 more discs installed to my 360 at this point is kind of an annoyance when I'm jumping between 5-6 already installed games + big DLC expansions.

2. If both versions are pretty much the same, and I don't care about multiplayer (which I don't in this case) I'll go for the single disc PS3 option.

scitek

delirium said:
Christ, I just read the IGN review. How the fuck does a professional reviewer write like that? It read more like a middle school kid writing a review for his school newspaper rather than something that would be published by IGN.

IGN's been like that for a while. I've never thought much of their writers, but they're really poor now. Seriously, there are much smaller, totally indie sites where the reviewers aren't even paid, and they write better reviews.

Someone tell me this; can you select chapters this time once you beat them from a menu, or do I have to make a separate file on each chapter like I did in the first one should I want to go back to a certain level? That shit drove me nuts.

scitek

kamspy said:
GAF

Higher compression > multiple discs

?

It's not even multiple discs, it's two. RE4 was 2 discs originally and it didn't just magically get better when it was on one disc on the PS2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JRW said:
360 version of DS2 is slightly sharper but not enough to cause a big concern, I noticed it when comparing both demos myself and confirmed when looking at Lens of Truth's demo comparison shots.
I'm not sure that's true. What you're seeing is a product of their capture methods.

Both games operate at 1280x720 with no anti-aliasing.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Interview at Gamasutra with Dead Space 2's creative director Wright Bagwell:

The way he explains it definitely makes it sound better than the first game in terms of horror. Instead of one long continuous dark hallway with cool lighting it sounds like the game gives you a security blanket and then takes it away, leaving you with this "oh god this is going to be scary" feeling.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
delirium said:
Yeah, this is legitimately one of the worst game reviews I've ever read.

Just played the demo. Does it always end with
Isaac being killed by that thing with the yellow tongue? I couldn't shoot it. It didn't give me crossheirs.

ToyMachine228 said:
Isaac being killed by that thing with the yellow tongue? I couldn't shoot it. It didn't give me crossheirs.

No, I... I think you just might suck. Just kidding, use the Javelin gun, you'll only need to hit it once. Is it on center or classic aiming?

ToyMachine228 said:
You don't get a crosshair, just shoot it (IIRC)

delirium said:
Yeah, I can't believe he is paid to write.

Prophet Steve said:
You don't get a crosshair, just shoot it (IIRC)

I was pulling the Trigger and nothing was happening. No buttons were working at all. I could look around but couldn't do anything. I tried like three or four times thinking I was doing something wrong.

ToyMachine228 said:
I was pulling the Trigger and nothing was happening. No buttons were working at all. I could look around but couldn't do anything. I tried like three or four times thinking I was doing something wrong.

Really? Maybe there was a glitch in the demo or something it wrong with your controller. That's very odd.

ToyMachine228 said:
Don't mean to insult your intelligence or anything, but are you sure you were holding down the Left Trigger/L2 to aim first before pressing the Right Trigger/R2 to shoot? I know I accidentally forgot one time when I was replaying through the demo before realizing how silly I was and nearly dying lol. But yeah, if not that, I guess it glitched on you somehow or maybe your controller is acting up.

JRW

dark10x said:
I'm not sure that's true. What you're seeing is a product of their capture methods.

Both games operate at 1280x720 with no anti-aliasing.

Well like I said in previous post I saw the difference myself when comparing both demos on the same TV. but it's a very minimal difference, the only reason I chose to buy 360 version is the control layout.

Burger

I can't play games like this, I purchased Dead Space and while I loved it, I simply couldn't play it. I couldn't force myself to go down in there. It was just too scary, all the time. Never got past half way.

Sucks hearing about a new game that's getting great reviews, but you know you just won't be able to stomach it.

Burger said:
I can't play games like this, I purchased Dead Space and while I loved it, I simply couldn't play it. I couldn't force myself to go down in there. It was just too scary, all the time. Never got past half way.

Sucks hearing about a new game that's getting great reviews, but you know you just won't be able to stomach it.

But that's one of the problems that Visceral fixed, the pacing and constant-on-edge tension. I think you should give it a shot, they specifically fixed that issue.

Alucrid

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
But that's one of the problems that Visceral fixed, the pacing and constant-on-edge tension. I think you should give it a shot, they specifically fixed that issue.

I never found Dead Space to be THAT scary. It's not like Amnesia where I play for five minutes then turn it off or soil myself.

Kinyou

Dead Space 2 actionfigures:

EDIT reuploading pics:
2r5wc2c.jpg

a5ckte.jpg

2qiv82a.jpg

:lol @ the last one, he looks so happy

Burger said:

Im kind of the same, played the first one and loved it but it was pretty damn scary so I forced myself to go down that hallway knowing something will jump out at my ass at any second. Im going to force myself to play this one becasue I know its great but wont be looking forward to it, lol (if that makes sense).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Holy mother of fuck I just read the IGN review.

*Laughing emoticon x5*

Then I realised that someone actually got paid to write it. :(
What's so bad about the IGN review? I'm not reading anything (haven't even watched the last few trailers) because I'm trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible.

Alucrid

Banned
Minamu said:
Link is broken for me.

And Amnesia was barely scary at all >_<

You have balls of steel then. I guess games where I don't have a weapon or at least very, very limited amounts, scare the crap out of me. Fatal Frame did it, Silent Hill, Clock Tower (especially when you can't kill enemies), etc. I've never really found horror games where you can shoot (Dead Space, FEAR, etc.) scary.

dreamer3kx said:
Im kind of the same, played the first one and loved it but it was pretty damn scary so I forced myself to go down that hallway knowing something will jump out at my ass at any second. Im going to force myself to play this one becasue I know its great but wont be looking forward to it, lol (if that makes sense).

The thing is, the ques and set ups for something to 'jump' at you were so obvious after the first few. Oh music? Oh bodies lying on the floor?

Top Bottom