• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

(._.)

Banned
Interested in getting this on sale. Enjoyed the first quite a bit. The way they are marketing and promoting this game is a joke though. Truly embarrassed for the launch trailer I just saw for this game. Killed all hype I had. Think I will wait for when its $20 over the steam summer sale.

gdt

Amazon already shipped. Hopefully it'll be here before work tomorrow, but I won't get to play it till after anyway.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
(._.) said:
Interested in getting this on sale. Enjoyed the first quite a bit. The way they are marketing and promoting this game is a joke though. Truly embarrassed for the launch trailer I just saw for this game. Killed all hype I had. Think I will wait for when its $20 over the steam summer sale.
Everyone with the game has said it's better in every way from the first. Don't let that launch trailer deter you.

Pancho said:
Sucks being a bit monetarily tight right now :(

I won't be able to pick this up tomorrow

I'm right there with you but I'm thinking of trading in a bundle of games so I can get it. :/

College life is expensive...

Jeramii

Banned
i'll be going to the midnight release here in utah.

only thing that sucks is i have class at 8AM so no time to play tonight.... plus i work tomorrow evening. fml.

but wednesday. going to play it all in one sitting with one of my buddies who is a fellow gaffer.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
(._.) said:

You really want to let PR materials completely determine your purchasing behavior?

DancingJesus said:
Any other video reviews besides IGN's shitfest?
Giant Bomb announced they'd be doing a video review for it but given how small their team is and their previous track record the video review will probably be a day or two late.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I hope there's nothing like that asteroid shooting segment in DS1. It's what stopped me for doing more playthroughs till now >_<

Swag

is this releasing at 12am ( PST ) Like New Vegas or 3pm ( EST ) like most Steam releases?

Wanna know if I should stay up to play a little or not

DancingJesus said:
Nice! Man, watching this stream is reminding me how awesome the first was.

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/dead-space-2-review

Even better, my most trusted source.

Yes, for those who hated the IGN review, these are worth reading, though for what it's worth, I think I'm gonna disagree with AotF on the storyline. It seems more engaging then they say, while Edge really seems to dig the storyline. But extremely positive reviews are awesome.

Edit: Oh, now I sorta understand their apprehension on the storyline. It's not bad, but it doesn't work for the reviewer.

What's funny about the first Dead Space is that my brother bought it and brought it down to my apartment and I was totally disinterested and extremely skeptical.

He kept insisting me to try it just for an hour, so finally on a cold winter day after it laying on my desk for months, I booted it up. Make a long story short, it ended up being my favorite horror game of the generation, which is difficult for me to say since I love the RE series. The atmosphere is so immersive that for those few fleeting moments I spent under the dark, I forgot the world around me.

It may of been the most shocking pleasant surprise I've ever experienced with a videogame.

scitek

I couldn't give two shits about this franchise's story. I thought the first one did a miserable job telling it. Extraction was much better in that regard, but overall it's as cliched as it gets.

DancingJesus said:
What's funny about the first Dead Space is that my brother bought it and brought it down to my apartment and I was totally disinterested and extremely skeptical.

He kept insisting me to try it just for an hour, so finally on a cold winter day after it laying on my desk for months, I booted it up. Make a long story short, it ended up being my favorite horror game of the generation, which is difficult for me to say since I love the RE series. The atmosphere is so immersive that for those few fleeting moments I spent under the dark, I forgot the world around me.

It may of been the most shocking pleasant surprise I've ever experienced with a videogame.

yeah with as much we hear about re4 (which is amazing), the RE series has been topped by Dead Space in my opinion.

Despera

Banned
scitek said:
I couldn't give two shits about this franchise's story. I thought the first one did a miserable job telling it. Extraction was much better in that regard, but overall it's as cliched as it gets.
The story is good enough imo. Besides, you'll be too busy thinking about what's waiting for you behind each door and corner.

I wasn't expecting a Silent Hill 2, that's for sure.

scitek

boredofcanada said:
yeah with as much we hear about re4 (which is amazing), the RE series has been topped by Dead Space in my opinion.
I was going to say how easy it would be for me to admit Dead Space passed RE this gen since RE5 was complete shit, but you're just talking crazy.

scitek said:
I was going to say how easy it would be for me to admit Dead Space passed RE this gen since RE5 was complete shit, but you're just talking crazy.

as of now, resident evil in general is shit, because of Re5

scitek

Despera said:
The story is good enough imo. Besides, you'll be too busy thinking about what's waiting for you behind each door and corner.

I wasn't expecting a Silent Hill 2, that's for sure.

The lack of a GOOD story doesn't take away from the fun factor at all to me. I've been playing REs with absolutely god-awful storylines for years now, including RE4, but that didn't ever stop me from loving the hell out of them. I think Dead Space is a blast to play, and that's down to the mechanics first and foremost. More of the same gameplay is all I need to be happy with DS2.

scitek said:

I didn't mean to spark a RE vs Dead Space war here, just relating my experience with this franchise. Haha.

I love both very much.

Dead Space was much less about the story to me as the actual world and atmosphere the environment created. It felt really cohesive and well realized.

stupei

So for those of you who have played through the early part of the game already, a question: I'm in early Chapter 2, and can anyone tell me what loot is waiting in the first power node room? I really don't know if I want to use it there or not.
It's right before you hit that hallway with a huge chunk of the wall blown out and you can see people running and screaming outside.

Game is great so far. It's so incredibly good at directing the player's eye toward where to go next, even before you get the breadcrumb trail feature unlocked.

Draft

Man I'm so amped up for DS2! Look at all the amazing reviews. Seems Visceral hit this one out of the park.

It's obviously premature to discuss the toppling of RE4. DS2 is going to need some absolutely amazing boss battles to take the throne. The potential is there, but I dunno. I hope they pull it off. Dusty crowns make for good nostalgia but I'm primed for a new king.

Draft said:
It's obviously premature to discuss the toppling of RE4. DS2 is going to need some absolutely amazing boss battles to take the throne. The potential is there, but I dunno. I hope they pull it off. Dusty crowns make for good nostalgia but I'm primed for a new king.
While DS1 was a fantastic game, it didn't really have a great lineup of bosses. Has that changed this time around? (just a yes/no please, no spoilers).

scitek

DancingJesus said:
I didn't mean to spark a RE vs Dead Space war here, just relating my experience with this franchise. Haha.

I love both very much.

Dead Space was much less about the story to me as the actual world and atmosphere the environment created. It felt really cohesive and well realized.

Nah, there won't be any versus between the two from me. I love both and don't have to pick one over the other as a result, I just thought the comment of it being hard to put Dead Space over RE this gen was interesting because I thought 5 was all kinds of mediocre.

gdt

Dear god, I'm hyped. A bit bummed I didn't get the chance to replay DS1, but oh well. I'm just replay that before I replay DS2 :).

scitek said:
Nah, there won't be any versus between the two from me. I love both and don't have to pick one over the other as a result, I just thought the comment of it being hard to put Dead Space over RE this gen was interesting because I thought 5 was all kinds of mediocre.

Well since the Resident Evil series has such a long and storied tradition, it was difficult for me to crown the new kid on the block, but for the reasons aforementioned I've been more than impressed with this franchise.

Despera

Banned
scitek said:
More of the same gameplay is all I need to be happy with DS2.
Well, you'll get just that, and then some.

FunkyPajamas said:
While DS1 was a fantastic game, it didn't really have a great lineup of bosses. Has that changed this time around? (just a yes/no please, no spoilers).
Nope. At least from what I've played (6 chapters).

scitek

DancingJesus said:
Well since the Resident Evil series has such a long and storied tradition, it was difficult for me to crown the new kid on the block, but for the reasons aforementioned I've been more than impressed with this franchise.

I think it's crazy the amount of story this game has with it being just a couple of years old. Books, TWO movies, three games, five(?) if you count the iPhone one and Ignition...just nuts.

stupei said:
So for those of you who have played through the early part of the game already, a question: I'm in early Chapter 2, and can anyone tell me what loot is waiting in the first power node room? I really don't know if I want to use it there or not.
It's right before you hit that hallway with a huge chunk of the wall blown out and you can see people running and screaming outside.

Game is great so far. It's so incredibly good at directing the player's eye toward where to go next, even before you get the breadcrumb trail feature unlocked.
Might as well use it, youll get anothet powr node before u hit next door needing one

I'm thinking of driving to SF for the midnight launch on Powell St. with the developers-but it's a 45 minute drive for me-and I have to work in the morning.... I wonder what type of swag they're handing out...

stupei

DevelopmentArrested said:
Might as well use it, youll get anothet powr node before u hit next door needing one

Thanks. I actually just remembered there's a save spot right near there so I saved first and then tried it out, figuring I could just reload if I didn't think what I found was worth it and would rather upgrade my rig.
Turns out it was worth it overall because there was not only a ton of loot, but also a schematic for power nodes.

Draft

Despera said:
Well, you'll get just that, and then some.

Nope. At least from what I've played (6 chapters).
That's a bummer. If DS1 is any indication you're about halfway through, and by the halfway point in RE4 you've already plowed through a half dozen amazing bosses.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just realized, I'll be going straight from my course on Theory of Violence in Film and Video Games to playing this. I wonder if that counts as homework.

Replicant

My order has been shipped. *excited*

Oh, can anyone tell me if the save spot is still unlimited like in the first one? I hope so. Nothing annoys me more than a game that only has 3 save spots (Hi, Dead Rising 2!!!).

Replicant said:
My order has been shipped. *excited*

Oh, can anyone tell me if the save spot is still unlimited like in the first one? I hope so. Nothing annoys me more than a game that only has 3 save spots (Hi, Dead Rising 2!!!).
It is

Top Bottom