• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Any official word on when this unlocks on Steam? Just beat Dead Space. I'm on the hype train now.

For everyone amused by Miller's IGN review:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/best-response-to-igns-dead-space-2-review-3937

The above picture is NOT the best response, but let's get the story straight first.

Greg Miller has been verbally shot up at Reddit.com for his Dead Space 2 review that people are calling out as something "a middle school kid reviewed".

To counter, Greg has posted on his blog that this was the first time he's heard of Reddit and that after reading through the comments, he's pissed:

I've been here for four years, so I'm used to stuff I write being shit on by anonymous posters. The bullshit that we're paid off, that everything on the site sucks, and that I'm homosexual. That stuff doesn't get me, but telling me a review sucks and not explaining why it sucks steams my hash.

Near the end of his rant, he suggests his fellow readers to sign up for Reddit:

Two years from now I'm going to be on Reddit and hear about XongleBongle.com and go "What the fuck is XongleBongle.com?" and then it's going to be the next big thing. Get in on the ground floor of this stuff.

To counter the counter, gamejournos.com (pictured above) has gone to great lengths detailing the many, many ways they believe his review is "a terribly-written, poorly-constructed mess". The argument is witty, barbed, and unrelenting.

So then, what can possibly top that? Well... this.

http://gamejournos.com/

Scroll down to see the response.

What's hilarious about this is that nobody's even upset about the score, which is sometimes why a review can get ripped on. It's just that badly written.

He was probably thinking "eh, I'll give it a 9, no one will care about the writing!"

brandonh83 said:
What's hilarious about this is that nobody's even upset about the score, which is sometimes why a review can get ripped on. It's just that badly written.

He was probably thinking "eh, I'll give it a 9, no one will care about the writing!"

You hit the nail on the head.

Will be picking up my CE 360 edition on Friday. Can't wait to play this!

I played the first game with the lights off using a 104 inch projection screen with surround sound. The game was scary as hell. Expect to relive the same experience but in a more intense way this time. Bring it on!

A question for those with the 360 version. Can I install both discs to the hard drive, even though I assume that i will still have to insert the 2nd disc while playing the game?

Captain Bluey said:
Will be picking up my CE 360 edition on Friday. Can't wait to play this!

I played the first game with the lights off using a 104 inch projection screen with surround sound. The game was scary as hell. Expect to relive the same experience but in a more intense way this time. Bring it on!

A question for those with the 360 version. Can I install both discs to the hard drive, even though I assume that i will still have to insert the 2nd disc while playing the game?
Ds2 is 100x times scarier than one. Yes u can both discs, u still need to swap

scitek

brandonh83 said:
"I've already said that I've played the game over and over, so it's important to point out that no ride needs to be the same."

What.

Man, we could sit here and pick quotes from that review all night. How embarrassing.

You know, I almost tend to agree with this comment:

"The article wasn't bad because it contained bad grammar and uninteresting flow. That was just a symptom of the main problem - a shallow, uninvolving and gushing treatment of a review subject without anything to justify the words in the review. It felt like a little kid talking to you about how awesome Naruto is."

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
DancingJesus said:

"The article wasn't bad because it contained bad grammar and uninteresting flow. That was just a symptom of the main problem - a shallow, uninvolving and gushing treatment of a review subject without anything to justify the words in the review. It felt like a little kid talking to you about how awesome Naruto is."
I feel the same. That image of the review text being dissected is funny, but really only focuses on the technical aspects of the writing — even if those were perfect, the review would still be utter shit. I can't imagine that it took him more than 30 minutes to write.

scitek

DancingJesus said:

The fact that he needlessly went out of his way to include descriptors like "pimped-out" suggests 9-year-old kids were exactly the audience he was pandering to. Seriously, what the hell?

EDIT: To be fair, if anyone analyzed any of my written reviews with that kind of scrutiny, it'd probably be revealed to be filled with grammatical errors. Still, though, I'd never gush over a game like that in a review.

brandonh83 said:
I should stop making fun. The guilt might tear my sanity apart.

parks2.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Square Triangle said:
Is anyone playing the game or just making fun of Miller the rest of the night?

I'm not picking this up until tomorrow, so in the meantime the ripping on Miller is a great way to pass time!

Grisby

Just got done after 2 hours of playing. Picked up the game at the midnight launch and now I am dogged tired. Work in the morning too.

So this game is great. I'm on ch3 after 2 or so hours. Its Dead Space, but better refined Dead Space. The shooting feels better and Issac seems like he moves faster. Seen a fantastic set-piece and needed a breather. And to go to bed, lol.

The story stuff is nice, but not a lots happening right now. Love, love, love the introduction. Pretty nerve racking. Anytime Issac goes to his crazy place your in for a fun treat.

DancingJesus said:
Two more final questions before we move on to actual impressions.

1. What will his response be?

2. Does Greg have a NeoGAF account?

What I find really odd is... Miller was allowed to post his review three days before anyone else... but just about every other review I read today was far superior (at least in terms of technical competence) to his, and most of them gave a higher score, if not at least equal, to him. Why was he allowed to post early? Strange.

I think he already made a response essentially saying, "Piss off, fuckers."

DancingJesus said:
Reddit is hilarious:

There's now a correction to the corrector:

http://i.imgur.com/AzS0G.png

Waiting for the follow up.

Hahahaha, that's awesome. Correcting the corrector.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DancingJesus said:
More IGN review ass ripping:

http://i.imgur.com/cFm8Q.png
Keep in mind, he is paid to write. This isn't a high level analysis. The corrections made in that .png refer to material learnt in the twelfth grade. There is absolutely no reason to take pity on him. I'm not calling him fat, raging against IGN or picking on trivial punctuation errors. All I want is material written like an educated person published on the largest video game website.

Rez said:
Keep in mind, he is paid to write. This isn't a high level analysis. The corrections made in that .png refer to material learnt in the twelfth grade. There is absolutely no reason to take pity on him. I'm not calling him fat, raging against IGN or picking on trivial punctuation errors. All I want is material written like an educated person published on the largest video game website.

I don't think that's really asking for much. To be fair, not everyone at IGN is completely clueless.

I can't wait for the Giant Bomb review to start with, "Yo, this shit is dope!" - just to mock the whole situation.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I am so damn excited to play this... which means it'll probably arrive as late as possible tomorrow. Never fails.

Top Bottom