• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This just showed up on the main Steam page for the game.

untitledthbr.jpg

So at least they know about it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
MechDX said:
Anyone who has the console version: is the dead Space Ignition code inside the box?
Pretty sure everyone gave that out at the time of pre-order. I know I was sent the code from Amazon. I don't think you'll be seeing anything about Ignition in the box.

X26

Banned
Up early to workout, by the time I'm done that and make some breakfast...it'll still be ~2hrs till I can pick up my copy, buhuhu

Somnia

Holy shit @ the pc version. Just installed my retail copy (wish I got steam version, but employee discount out weighs full price this time). Game runs and looks amazing. I have everything maxxed (though vsync off) in 1920x1080 and am getting 70-80fps at all times. I will try to post some pictures later in the pc thread.

Wallach

Somnia said:
Holy shit @ the pc version. Just installed my retail copy (wish I got steam version, but employee discount out weighs full price this time). Game runs and looks amazing. I have everything maxxed (though vsync off) in 1920x1080 and am getting 70-80fps at all times. I will try to post some pictures later in the pc thread.

Are there any AA options, or can AA be forced?

careksims

Getting my PS3 CE today via snail mail. It will take every ounce of iron will power to play this game! I suck at horror games, but I really love the Dead Space universe. I can do it!

burgerdog

So steam gave me a cd key when I tried to play the game a few moments ago. I was super excited and then I entered the key and it was invalid. Steam wasn't giving you a key earlier, all you got was invalid key when trying to run the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SolidSnakex said:
Rey from the PSblog said that it's supposed to be up today and it'll cost $15.

Damn, I was hoping for $10 but I might still get it tomorrow.

I want to wait to get Dead Space 2 when my PC arrives in a few weeks rather than playing it now on PS3 but with Extraction factored in, it's a tough call. I need a new Move game. Sucks it's $60 on PC but I guess I might as well just get extraction PS3 now and get this game later when it's on sale.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, 2 discs? Didn't know that. What the heck is in this game that requires two discs?

Ooooh, uncompressed audio?

plasmasd

I'm at chapter 6 after 2:20 hours. At first I thought the game looked great, I've never played the first and thought it looked like a mix of Bioshock and Doom. Now I'm really tired of the tiny corridors. Every time there is a window I look out and wish I could do something outside. Then its back to stomping things so I don't run out of ammo. I can handle exactly one more chapter of tiny dark corridors until I give up on the game :(

seady

I am so excited for this game, not just the single player, but the multiplayer too as I love Left 4 Dead. Reviews seem to say it's fun too despite it being not too deep.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Snuggler said:
Damn, 2 discs? Didn't know that. What the heck is in this game that requires two discs?

Ooooh, uncompressed audio?

Uncompressed audio would be pointless as the best audio the 360 can output is DD5.1.

Forcing myself to shut this off and go to bed. I'm afraid if I keep going, I'm going to end up beating it in one sitting and I'll be bummed out. Up to chapter 8 now, really loving it. Substantially better than the first, loving the flow of the game more much compared to the first now that they've gotten rid of most of the backtracking problems of the original, and each chapter flows seamlessly into each other.

Can't wait to finish it up tomorrow and start over again on Zealot. I can already tell what a hellride that's going to be.

scitek

Ok, so the PC version unlocked and I was able to just now jump into the menus and play like 3 minutes of it.

Still no proper AA support, only "On" or "Off", and Vsync still caps the framerate at 30fps, using D3DOverrider I still get 60fps. However, there is a separate setting for controller sensitivity now, not just mouse, and the controller lag with vsync on is practically non-existent. I'll try M + KB next.

UPDATE: M+KB work wonderfully. No lag whatsoever either with in-game vsync or d3doverrider. I liked the default sensitivity, so I didn't mess with that, but the game felt good.

Tried to force MSAA using RadeonPro and it didn't work. :( Looks like I'm stuck using MLAA instead, but it's better than nothing. Someone with an Nvidia card should test it out too, though I suspect they probably can since they can force MSAA in the first game now. I have a Radeon 5770 BTW.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have everything maxxed (though vsync off) in 1920x1080 and am getting 70-80fps at all times.
Why would you disable v-sync? That ruins pretty much anything.

If it's the 30 fps cap you're worried about, just download rivatuner and use the included D3DOverrider program. This will give you triple buffering + v-sync with all games including this. It will lock the game at 60 fps!

can anyone comment on how well extraction works with regular controller (NOT move)

tempted to switch to xbox 360 version for the DA2 code, extraction vanilla controller is the decider

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
scitek said:
Ok, so the PC version unlocked and I was able to just now jump into the menus and play like 3 minutes of it.

Still no proper AA support, only "On" or "Off", and Vsync still caps the framerate at 30fps, using D3DOverrider I still get 60fps. However, there is a separate setting for controller sensitivity now, not just mouse, and the controller lag with vsync on is practically non-existent. I'll try M + KB next.

UPDATE: M+KB work wonderfully. No lag whatsoever either with in-game vsync or d3doverrider. I liked the default sensitivity, so I didn't mess with that, but the game felt good.

Tried to force MSAA using RadeonPro and it didn't work. :( Looks like I'm stuck using MLAA instead, but it's better than nothing. Someone with an Nvidia card should test it out too, though I suspect they probably can since they can force MSAA in the first game now. I have a Radeon 5770 BTW.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I can't believe multiplatform games have to be like this sometimes, AA on or off? Yeah that's not how it should be.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Beggars can't be choosers! sometimes we don't even get the AA option in console ports. So mm to that.

Pachimari

I am mind blown and amazed by this game. I hadn't followed any of the reveals or anything before getting this game today, and I only played the demo of the first one - completed Extraction on Wii though. This game is awesome.

How many chapters does the game have?
I'm currently at chapter 3.

jdevil99

They just announced the first DLC of DS2 apparently. It'll be 2 new single player chapters that take place during Issacs adventures in nightmare land. You play as characters from Extraction, the Wii/PS3 shooter already being talked about plenty on here.Gabe, a Sprawl security guard who is attempting to escape the Necromorph attack with Lexine, again, both from Extraction. It'll be called Severed. No release date announced.

MoxManiac

How long is Ignition? I forgot to play it but i'm getting DS2 today; i want the unlockable from Ignition but I want to jump straight into DS2 :(

Corky

can someone take some screengrabs of the pc-version running with AA``? WOuld be very appreciated

DLC details

EA has announced Dead Space 2: Severed, a "digital download pack" that extends the Dead Space 2 story with two standalone chapters in the single-player game.

It sees the return of Gabe Weller and Lexine Murdock, the two main characters from 2009 prequel Dead Space: Extraction. The Dead Space 2 Limited Edition for PS3 includes Dead Space: Extraction, which supports the Move controller.

Weller and Lexine's story runs parallel to Isaac's in Dead Space 2. Players assume the role of Gabe Weller, who as a Sprawl Security Guard fights against Necromorphs.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-25-dead-space-2-severed-announced

Corky

SolidSnakex said:

Alright for once I'm going to be reasonable and ask questions before having my usual kneejerk reactions to announcements like these.

Codecow, Monkeypants ( obviously this is a buisness decision and nothing else, but ya'll might have some insight regardless ) was these chapters ready for release alongside the game? Or are they actually going to be "true" DLC?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Corky said:
Alright for once I'm going to be reasonable and ask questions before having my usual kneejerk reactions to announcements like these.

Codecow, Monkeypants ( obviously this is a buisness decision and nothing else, but ya'll might have some insight regardless ) was these chapters ready for release alongside the game? Or are they actually going to be "true" DLC?
Regardless, without the DLC market potential, these pieces of content would likely have never been created in the first place. I understand why people dislike the idea of DLC content being worked on alongside the full game, but really, that extra content would never have been considered if it could not be sold.

Grisby

SolidSnakex said:

Damn, I take it that means their not in the main game? I was hoping they'd pop up at some point. The whole deal with Lexine in Extraction was pretty cool.

So how did everyone like that opening? The
guy transforming right in front of you had my mouth down to the floor. It was great too because in Ignition two out of the four endings had that guy killing off his girlfriend and I always wondered if something bad was going to happen to him in DS2.

Corky said:

I think that it's fine since we're talking about a different main character. If it were Isaac DLC then I could see a possibility where they chopped it off from the main game to sell it later.

JohngPR

I decided to buy this at the last minute so I won't be getting my copy from Amazon until Friday. That'll give me plenty of time to finish DS1. I was thinking of starting it completely over because it's been a really long time since I played it (I stopped on Chapter 8).

Top Bottom