• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Drewsky

I never finished the first game, so I've been playing it for the last week or so. Hopefully I can finish it today or tomorrow so I can pick this up.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Probably will get the DLC, because I like the universe. I'm glad they didn't shoehorn the Extraction people into DS2 (didn't really like the Extraction plot line or characters, honestly).

Players who do not have a code can purchase the Dead Space 2 Online Pass for 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live Marketplace and $9.99 on the PlayStation Network.

Is this the first time we've seen EA do this? I know they said they were going to, but I wasn't aware that it was going to be applied to DS2.

oh nice! the extraction is included on disc (vs download as EA did with mass effect 2 stuff like the comic)

the cover of the box shows "extraction inside"

Grisby

cleveridea said:
oh nice! the extraction is included on disc (vs download as EA did with mass effect 2 stuff like the comic)

the cover of the box shows "extraction inside"

Do you have to install it via the XMB? Or is it launced from DS2?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man, fuck EA. I let myself get hyped up enough to buy their game at the full 60$ on Steam which is already BS and then come launch day they fuck me in the ass with activation errors? YOU SAID YOU WERE DROPPING FUCKING DRM FOR THE STEAM STORE.

God what a bunch of cunts at corporate.

Also, we probably won't get the DLC unless some miracle happens and I would buy the shit out of some singleplayer DLC.

Grisby said:

ok checked the box, on back says "2.7MB Hard Drive Required" (YAY VS ME2)

so I am hoping it just runs from the game menu. the manual doesnt reference extraction, likely as its a common manual for the non-extraction copies to come.

HD output is both 720p and 1080i for those interested

they had the collector edition strategy guide at the store, its HUGE compared to the regular one (which is thin like for the original game). looks like they added a ton of concept art in there and some other stuff, plus hardcover

I wish I didn't have to wait for Friday for this game to work on Steam.

Valve are evil, allowing you to download the full game onto your hard drive but not letting you play it for days.

ARGH!

Stallion Free said:
Man, fuck EA. I let myself get hyped up enough to buy their game at the full 60$ on Steam which is already BS and then come launch day they fuck me in the ass with activation errors? YOU SAID YOU WERE DROPPING FUCKING DRM FOR THE STEAM STORE.

Also, we probably won't get the DLC unless some miracle happens and I would buy the shit out of some singleplayer DLC.

I feel your pain. Stayed up last night just to watch the game unlock @ midnight and still be unplayable.

Pachimari

At chapter 5, the pace is really fluid and well done!
Btw, I think you have to select Extraction through the "bonus content" in the XMB, the game lets you select between this and Dead Space 2 itself.

Stallion Free said:

You're making me nervous about going with the PC version. It'll likely be a few weeks before I buy it, so I'll see how things are by that time. Missing out on additional singleplayer content would definitely suck.

MoxManiac

ultron87 said:
Should I play Ignition before starting the actual game? How long does it take?

You get a suit or something, right?

I asked how long it was on the last page but got no answers. Lot of slackers in this thread D:

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
K' Dash said:
Damn, I'll have to buy it then, how long is it?
It's a little over an hour but it's really shitty. The story, artwork, voice acting, and minigames are all horrible. Evidently you only need to complete the first hack to get the hacker suit so just do that.

MoxManiac said:
I asked how long it was on the last page but got no answers. Lot of slackers in this thread D:

I think its supposed to last just an hour or 2

I tried it, HATED IT with a passion despite being a huge dead space fan

extraction was good, ignition was awful

K' Dash

RoboPlato said:
It's a little over an hour but it's really shitty. The story, artwork, voice acting, and minigames are all horrible. Evidently you only need to complete the first hack to get the hacker suit so just do that.

Understood, thank you.

codecow

MoxManiac said:

You don't need to beat it, just play it until you get a save game then quit. It takes about 10-15 minutes.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
c'mon guys stop blueballing me, where are the pc-shots gaf? WHERE ?! Also that MP-clip linked above actually looks pretty cool.

Grisby said:
DS2 itself doesn't need an install, but Extraction does. It's listed under Extras in the XMB and once installed, takes up around 3.5GB.

JohngPR said:
I decided to buy this at the last minute so I won't be getting my copy from Amazon until Friday. That'll give me plenty of time to finish DS1. I was thinking of starting it completely over because it's been a really long time since I played it (I stopped on Chapter 8).
Oh yes, you should definitely start over. DS1 is that good, imo.

scitek

This is kind of an odd issue, but 1280x720 is the highest res I can select in this game. All my other games allow for up to 1920x1080. Any idea what's going on there? BTW, Radeon 5770 is my card.

Somnia

dark10x said:
Why would you disable v-sync? That ruins pretty much anything.

If it's the 30 fps cap you're worried about, just download rivatuner and use the included D3DOverrider program. This will give you triple buffering + v-sync with all games including this. It will lock the game at 60 fps!

Thanks for this, I honestly knew no idea about this for some reason lol much appreciated.

LM4sure

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Work is gonna draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag. Can't wait to come home and play in the middle of the night!

HAHA, I know! I feel the same way!!! Need to go home and finish the game tonight! Such an amazing game. It only gets better the further you get. And I just read about hte dlc, DO WANT!

We got copies in my work today (UK) just seeing Extraction written on the PS3 copy makes me want to buy it, even though I already own it on Wii.

I actually think I'd be buying it just to have Extraction in HD than to have Dead Space 2, as the DS2 demo didn't impress me much.

Despera

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
I actually think I'd be buying it just to have Extraction in HD than to have Dead Space 2, as the DS2 demo didn't impress me much.
You'll eat those words once you experience the glory that is DS2 in 1080p :)

Pachimari

I really thought the Dead Space franchise would never really be for me, but two hours in and the pacing is just awesome - and I have been really hard to please this generation, handing out a lot of scores beneath 5. It's like a rush, though I can see the variety slowing down in a moment, I don't feel scared anymore either lol, as I just expect the Necromorphs around any corner now.

So when I started up DS2 it told me I unlocked the hacker suit and some different plasma cutter even though I haven't even started Ignition, I just have it installed. I'll probably still attempt to play though it just for the story before starting DS2.

I played though the first level of Extraction just to see how it looked because I never played it before, and it looks pretty damn nice. Sure, the texture quality isn't there but it runs smooth, has nice lighting and even the poly count is pretty decent. Did they do any other work to it other than upping the res?

the chris

ThirstyFly said:
So when I started up DS2 it told me I unlocked the hacker suit and some different plasma cutter even though I haven't even started Ignition, I just have it installed. I'll probably still attempt to play though it just for the story before starting DS2.

I played though the first level of Extraction just to see how it looked because I never played it before, and it looks pretty damn nice. Sure, the texture quality isn't there but it runs smooth, has nice lighting and even the poly count is pretty decent. Did they do any other work to it other than upping the res?

As long as you played Ignition you get the Hacker outfit, and you get that Plasma Cutter from having data from the first game.

netguy503

Can I have an extra Ignition code if someone doesn't want it/have extra? My gamestop ran out of codes for pre-orders. You could really help out a fellow forum member. Thanks.

Top Bottom