• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Monkey Pants said:
One note about the "unintelligble character audio" that a couple reviewers have mentioned with Nicole.

It's intentional. We're okay with you not understanding her, as at that part of the story she's the "noise" in Isaac's head.

fuck how the hell am I supposed to wait til friday?! :((((((((

Also, stallion free ; did you get everything up and running? Can you force AA with that 460 of yours? If so, would you mind telling me how? thx

Monkey Pants said:
One note about the "unintelligble character audio" that a couple reviewers have mentioned with Nicole.

It's intentional. We're okay with you not understanding her, as at that part of the story she's the "noise" in Isaac's head.

That sounds pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to those psychological parts a lot.

careksims

playing a bit of Extraction here. It looks good and it plays well with the Move controller. I am pleased. Will dig into DS2 after this chapter.

Is there any "outside the spaceship air lock" moments in DS2 like there was in DS1?

You know, where you're in the vacuum of space and everything's in slow motion and muted?

scitek

Monkey Pants said:

I think what they're referring to is more like one instance
in ch. 5 you have to magnetically tether some spinning rings, but you can barely hear the CPU voice instructing you on what to do because the noise from the rings is so loud.

I didn't mind it so much, but reviewers like being spoon-fed solutions to things nowadays.

Gribbix

Some weapon/suit DLC packs just popped up on XBLM (400 pts each):

Supernova Pack
banner.png

Gain the upper hand with this collection of stress-tested tools and suits approved by the CEC for deep space operations.

Hazard Pack
banner.png

A collection of powerful new suits and weapons built for the most demanding jobs on the Sprawl.

Martial Law Pack
banner.png

Stack the odds in your favor with this collection of battle-hardened weapons and tools.

ashbash159 said:
Shut up I have to wait for Friday and I don't want to end up on YouTube watching the intro.

Don't do it. This is amazing holy shit. My face is melting off.

I know it's just the opening but it's enough to tell me that the team meant serious business this time.

JohngPR

lastinline said:
Oh yes, you should definitely start over. DS1 is that good, imo.

Cool, I think I just might. Not only that, but I remember that I was in a tough spot in the game and I'd hate to go into the game at that part 2 years later and get frustrated.

Okay. I remember when the first one came out and everyone was pants-shitting and so on, couldn't stand to play it because they couldn't handle it.

Now, while I don't think a game could ever be scary enough to actually stop me from playing it, this one is so on the ball right now that I imagine this is what you pansies felt while playing the original.

I still maintain that the first one isn't really scary, but this is really, really intense so far and the atmosphere destroys the atmosphere in the original.

If it holds up this way all the way to the end, this will be a masterpiece.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Did they let up on the music a bit? One of my chief complaints with the first game was its overbearing musical score. I ended up playing the game with music disabled simply because I felt it detracted so much from the experience. It was loud and bombastic for no good reason and only served as an indicator that enemies were in the area. I found it wildly inappropriate for the mood they were trying to set. It kind of reminds me of the score in Shutter Island.

Have they improved this in the sequel? I'd love to have more atmospheric audio that actually enhances the experience rather than blasting the player with nonsense every time an enemy shows up.

This is what I'm talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Y8CmeXp7Y

I hate that kind of score.

dark10x said:
I found it wildly inappropriate for the mood they were trying to set. It kind of reminds me of the score in Shutter Island.

What amuses me about your post is that when you let the game idle on the XMB, the music is highly reminiscent of the music in Shutter Island when they arrive on the island.

First Impressions

Singleplayer - excellent. Started a zealot run and I like how if you get hit by a necromorph, you get dead. Really enjoyed the beginning and although initially off putting to see Isaac with the glimmers of a personality, I'm warming to him.

Can't wait to play more.

Multiplayer - Left 4 Dead Lite. Which isn't an insult. I enjoyed it and I enjoyed how different maps have different missions and how the objectives can dramatically change from "capture the flag" to "destroy the object" and even "defend the object" all in the same match.

And it SEEMS like...only seems because I haven't gone all granular with the achievements (as I want to be surprised by them as I earn them) but it it seems like all the achievements are for single player.

If true...Visceral...thank you. Seriously.

So far I think the writing and voice acting is very good. The opening scene
with Nicole and Isaac
felt pretty natural and helped me get somewhat more attached to them.

When I'm able to play this game on Friday, on the PC, can you guys explain to me what I need to do to get it to look as good as possible? I haven't used D3DOverrider or any other stuff so you may need to explain a bit more.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
well metacritic has now a couple of dozen reviews on record, and every single one of them rates the game very highly ( I for one don't care but I sure as hell bet the suits do ), good job :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Monkey Pants said:

Would you happen to know (and if you do, can you say) when we will get any media related to the DLC?

I would like to make a new thread about it, but I would like to wait until we have at least some screenshots or a trailer.

Krujo

Banned
Is the navigation controller required to play extraction or can you just use move controller? I don't want to buy it if I don't have to right now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Krujo said:
Is the navigation controller required to play extraction or can you just use move controller? I don't want to buy it if I don't have to right now.
I seem to recall the Wii version working with just a single Wii-mote (which has fewer buttons than a Move controller). I don't recall any sections offering free movement, however.

StaSeb said:
Hell yeah!

That awesome fat dude did an unboxing-video again. Watch and marvel as he unboxes the collectors edition of DS2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwRlBkXeLg4

Priceless!

Aw what the fuck? I shouldn't have opened that. Not cause I'm at work, but cause that burns the eyes.

Krujo said:

Use Move with the Dual Shock. It should work.

does dead space 2 pc retail has some kind of steam activation, as in, i can register my cdkey on there so i can download it from steam servers?
sorry if that's already been asked! cheers.

Nabs

kazuma_pt said:
does dead space 2 pc retail has some kind of steam activation, as in, i can register my cdkey on there so i can download it from steam servers?
sorry if that's already been asked! cheers.
nope

careksims

Krujo said:

Just played the game with just the Move controller. I don't have the Navigation controller. Works for me!

imperium

Just saw this on slickdeals.net Great deal.

KMart has LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3) + Dead Space 2 (PS3/360) + 1600 Microsoft Xbox Live Points or $20 Playstation Network Card for $90. Offer is valid in-store only

Top Bottom