• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

JohngPR

*commercial guy voice* Batteries not included.

Can someone give me the chronological order of all of the Dead Space stuff from the motion comic all the way up to Dead Space 2?

BrokenBox

Does the Hacker RIG from Dead Space: Ignition unlock when you first boot the game? I'm playing on PS3, received the refurbished Plasma Cutter and a message about the Conduit Rooms, but no confirmation about the Hacker RIG and I beat Ignition once.

BrokenBox said:
Does the Hacker RIG from Dead Space: Ignition unlock when you first boot the game? I'm playing on PS3, received the refurbished Plasma Cutter and a message about the Conduit Rooms, but no confirmation about the Hacker RIG and I beat Ignition once.

When I went to the shop it was there for me.

JudgeN

-Mikey- said:
Is the PS3 version solid performance wise?

I'm only in first chapter but its been rock solid 30 FPS, I haven't notice any tearing either but I'm one of those people that does notice tearing.

Animator

Does anyone feel like the player camera is higher in this one compared to DS1? I feel like I am a nba player following isaac and keep trying to adjust the camera over and over.

BrokenBox

Well I guess mine's missing. I had the suit everyone starts with (1,000 Cr) in the shop and just bought that. Wonder what the deal is.

Teknoman

Animator said:
Does anyone feel like the player camera is higher in this one compared to DS1? I feel like I am a nba player following isaac and keep trying to adjust the camera over and over.

Try classic aim.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Arghhh, PC player here with the save bug. Lost a good 2 hours worth, thinking the checkpoints were still saving. =(

taoofjord

I'm really torn with Visceral Games. There are some hugely talented people working there. And as an extremely picky person when it comes to the aesthetic design (sci-fi especially), there's not much in the medium that is as great looking as the Dead Space universe. BUT, some (all?) of the developers there are really forcing this edginess into all of their games and it ends up being lame... not cool, not tongue-in-cheek, not authentic. It's just flat out forced.

I'm not against excessive gore or shocking your audience but Visceral tends to throw everything at the wall in an effort to make something stick. They don't pace their scares and they don't just use the best, most creative and memorable ideas... they put it ALL in. I'm not sure why. Maybe they're out of touch with how their games feel because of this? Maybe they're just incredibly arrogant and in need of an editor? Or maybe they idea of what is cool really just is... this?

I was fine with it in the first game due to the tight gameplay, great art direction, and rich atmosphere, but it's wearing on me in this one. Not to mention how obnoxious the marketing for this game has been. And then there's the cheesy writing...

Anyway, I hope the people at Visceral mature as developers for the next game. Artistic integrity, please!

Pace the scares, be more creative, and improve the writing.

With all of that said, I'm still loving the game. It's even MORE beautiful than the first one, and every new room I enter has me staring and inspecting everything.

Draft

The hacker rig is not in the shop at first. The other special rig you get for buying the CE is.

The hacker rig
schematic is in a room shortly after the second chapter begins.

taoofjord said:
Anyway, I hope the people at Visceral mature as developers for the next game. Artistic integrity, please!
I'm sure that's exactly what we'll get when we get Dante's Inferno 2 and/or the Jack the Ripper fights prostitute-murdering demons in London game.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
BrokenBox said:

I found mine in one of the specifically mentioned
conduit rooms in chapter 1 or 2, that only apparently are open
if you've played Ignition.

Overall, Survivalist is the right choice for anyone who's played the original, IMO. I started on normal, and it was way too easy.

On Survivalist, I've actually had to worry about health, finding ammo, etc.

Edit:

It is odd, though, there's a huge amount of spaces for text/audio logs under each chapter, yet I'm pretty sure I sandboxed fairly well. In the original, there were exactly enough spaces for all of the logs in each chapter, anyone know if this changed in 2?

Draft said:
The hacker rig is not in the shop at first. The other special rig you get for buying the CE is.

The hacker rig
schematic is in a room shortly after the second chapter begins.

Ah, I must have been thinking of the CE suit then.

Bildocube said:
where the hell do you put the batteries in this replica plasma cutter?

Look on the grip, there is a door for the batteries right there lol.

taoofjord said:
I'm really torn with Visceral Games. There are some hugely talented people working there. And as an extremely picky person when it comes to the aesthetic design (sci-fi especially), there's not much in the medium that is as great looking as the Dead Space universe. BUT, some (all?) of the developers there are really forcing this edginess in all of their games and it ends up being lame. I'm not against excessive gore or shocking your audience but Visceral tends to throw everything at the wall in an effort to make something stick. Instead of pacing their scares and only using the most creative and memorable, they throw in an absurd amount of cliche stuff in between them. I was fine with it in the first game due to the tight gameplay, great art direction, and rich atmosphere, but it's wearing on me in this one. Not to mention how obnoxious the marketing for this game has been. And the cheesy writing of the Dead Space spin-offs (which is pretty bad -- at least the video game writing, which is nothing particularly special, is minimal and usually happening while you're focused on playing the game).

Pace the scares, be more creative, and improve the writing.
Ehhhhhh... I'm really tempted to call bullshit on this but I will wait until I've delved further into Dead Space 2. Everything I've seen/played so far seems in keeping with pulp sci-fi horror, and if you're not down with that you've probably picked the wrong series. It's particularly worthless getting your panties in a bunch over the spin-offs and marketing when they've delivered so thoroughly with the main games though. Who cares if the comics, animated movies, etc. are shit? In fact, I find it hard to believe someone so concerned with avoiding cliches and cheesy writing would bother with extended universe fluff.

Do they still have the achievement for using only the Plasma Cutter? I played the first game on hard doing that, and I fucking loved it. I kind of want to do it again for DS2 since that's what Dead Space was all about for me.

I AM JOHN! said:
Do they still have the achievement for using only the Plasma Cutter? I played the first game on hard doing that, and I fucking loved it. I kind of want to do it again for DS2 since that's what Dead Space was all about for me.

Nope =/ I wish, it was so freaking fun. Not that it missing a trophy would stop me.

taoofjord

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Ehhhhhh... I'm really tempted to call bullshit on this but I will wait until I've delved further into Dead Space 2. Everything I've seen/played so far seems in keeping with pulp sci-fi horror, and if you're not down with that you've probably picked the wrong series. It's particularly worthless getting your panties in a bunch over the spin-offs and marketing when they've delivered so thoroughly with the main games though. Who cares if the comics, animated movies, etc. are shit? In fact, I find it hard to believe someone so concerned with avoiding cliches and cheesy writing would bother with extended universe fluff.

I don't bother with any of the side stuff. I like Extraction though.

I'm all about pulp horror but Visceral Games feel less like they're trying to make pulp and more like they're trying to make a thoroughly scary, immersive horror game. It just takes itself too seriously for it to be labeled as pulp.

3 chapters in and i can't really shake the "been here, done that" feeling.

the scares are damn near every bit as predictable as DS1 and there just isn't enough variety to enemy encounters (so far).

Despera

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
there just isn't enough variety to enemy encounters (so far).
Don't expect that to change though. The game's most obvious weak point is that 90% of the enemies are exact copies from DS1. And there's a huge lack of real boss fights.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm in chapter 8 and calling it a night but it's been great so far. Some really memorable moments (
the gorgeous solar panels in space section
) and chapters (
the section with the crazy AI was really cool
) that were quite different from what I expected.

X26

Banned
Might be fucked with the solar panels.
Low health, little to no ammo. Once I rearrange the first mirror and those things start flying at me I'm fucked. Problem is there is no checkpoint after the first mirror, you have to start all the way back in that elevator(?) which sucks. I'll get through it eventually but what a headache.

To those who have the PC version does the mouse control the same as the original? For reasons beyond my understanding the aiming sensitivity is amazingly slow compared to when looking around. I've found it particularly frustrating to say at the least.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
X26 said:
Low health, little to no ammo. Once I rearrange the first mirror and those things start flying at me I'm fucked. Problem is there is no checkpoint after the first mirror, you have to start all the way back in that elevator(?) which sucks. I'll get through it eventually but what a headache.
Use the pulse rifle to take out the things that get shot at you an aim at its weak points. There's just one of the necromorphs so once you take it out you're safe.

taoofjord said:
I don't bother with any of the side stuff. I like Extraction though.

I'm all about pulp horror but Visceral Games feel less like they're trying to make pulp and more like they're trying to make a thoroughly scary, immersive horror game. It just takes itself too seriously for it to be labeled as pulp.
Pulp can take itself seriously and still be pulp. If it didn't it would descend into mere parody. Lovecraft is pulp, for example, but that takes nothing away from the feelings his stories evoke. Pulp doesn't have to be tongue in cheek, just lacking a certain degree of sophistication, which is something I don't particularly expect from a game where I'm running around dismembering vomit spewing space zombies anyhow. The whole scenario of Dead Space, the O. Henry-esque plot twists, the jump scares, all strike me as pulp sci-fi horror. Maybe they do it so well that you can't help but wish for more from it, but I don't particularly think that's fair when they're so damn good at what they do. As for the pacing of scares, I think there's only so much wiggle room while making a game consistently entertaining, especially one that invites repeat play-throughs as Dead Space does. Again, all this is through the lens of having only glimpsed the tip of the iceberg for Dead Space 2, but I can't shake the feeling you're judging the game by unfair criteria.

Despera

Banned
X26 said:
If you have the Line Gun, use alternate fire on that fucker. One of those is enough to finish it off.

Shouldn't be too hard ;)

Played up to Chapter Seven. So fucking awesome.

JohngPR said:
*commercial guy voice* Batteries not included.

Can someone give me the chronological order of all of the Dead Space stuff from the motion comic all the way up to Dead Space 2?

There's a quick one at the bottom of the first post

Smokey

picked this up today

although i dunno why i am a pussy when it comes to horror games. i feel it is my duty though since this is a AAA release

brandonh83 said:
I am so glad that chapters aren't divided up via tram.

This shit is holy crap incredible.

I'm with you on both sentiments. Really loving this so far. What a fucking opener.

Any word on power node cheats etc :p?

taoofjord

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Pulp can take itself seriously and still be pulp. If it didn't it would descend into mere parody. Lovecraft is pulp, for example, but that takes nothing away from the feelings his stories evoke. Pulp doesn't have to be tongue in cheek, just lacking a certain degree of sophistication, which is something I don't particularly expect from a game where I'm running around dismembering vomit spewing space zombies anyhow. The whole scenario of Dead Space, the O. Henry-esque plot twists, the jump scares, all strike me as pulp sci-fi horror. Maybe they do it so well that you can't help but wish for more from it, but I don't particularly think that's fair when they're so damn good at what they do. As for the pacing of scares, I think there's only so much wiggle room while making a game consistently entertaining, especially one that invites repeat play-throughs as Dead Space does. Again, all this is through the lens of having only glimpsed the tip of the iceberg for Dead Space 2, but I can't shake the feeling you're judging the game by unfair criteria.

Maybe I am. You bring up good points. And in the end I'm having a great time with the game anyway. I'm not sure if I'll be able to shake the feeling that they didn't have pulp in mind when they created the series, but I'll put that in the back of my mind and enjoy it for what it is.

X26

Banned
Despera said:
If you have the Line Gun, use alternate fire on that fucker. One of those is enough to finish it off.

Shouldn't be too hard ;)

0 ammo

ended up charging in with a flamethrower and somehow made it

brandonh83 said:
I am so glad that chapters aren't divided up via tram.

This shit is holy crap incredible.

Agreed, it was refreshing once the screen just said "Chapter 2". Although the tram was a nice, "Holy shit there it is, time to breathe"

taoofjord said:
Maybe I am. You bring up good points. And in the end I'm having a great time with the game anyway. I'm not sure if I'll be able to shake the feeling that they didn't have pulp in mind when they created the series, but I'll put that in the back of my mind and enjoy it for what it is.
Right on. I should probably note that I do understand where you're coming from btw. I have a habit of dissecting movies and games even if I enjoy them... especially if I enjoy them, lol. It's almost easier to be hard on something you really like, because you actually give a damn about it. The original Dead Space got a lot right so the sequel is understandably going to be held under a magnifying glass by those who dug the first one. I'm sure I'll be in this thread nitpicking this section or that between play sessions in no time. ;)

Plissken

Played single player until about halfway through chapter 2, loving it so far.

Multiplayer on the other hand needs some work. Not the actual gameplay, that's fine and I quite enjoy the Left 4 Dead style they've got going on. But for the love of god, why is there no host migration? 3 of the 5 matches I got in had the host bail, and it's just BAM, back to the menu screen. Also, a push to talk button would be nice so that everyone doesn't have to hear my conversation with friends over Skype when we play.

To those who have the PC version does the mouse control the same as the original? For reasons beyond my understanding the aiming sensitivity is amazingly slow compared to when looking around. I've found it particularly frustrating to say at the least.

I played the original with a 360 pad on PC, but I decided to go with m/k for part 2 and so far it's working fine. Haven't had to adjust sensitivity at all, aiming is as precise as I want it to be right out of the gate.

dralla

im up to chapter 6 and im still using the default armor because i don't really need the passive abilities of the other 2 I can buy, but im stuck with a small inventory. should i be waiting to find the right armor with a bonus I want or buy whatever is available for inventory slots? I guess there's no right answer but I don't wanna spend the 20G only to find an armor 10 minutes later I'd actually like to buy

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just wrapped it up in one day of a shit load of playing and goddamn it was good. Presentation was top notch. I need to go wrap up Extraction on my Wii now, or maybe I will see if I can perfect it on the emulator.

Sanchito

Anyone else get a plasma cutter with a non working light?? I took mine apart and it appears to be a bad bulb. No loose wires or anything. Oh well. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Despera said:
Haven't beaten it yet (10th chapter), but I highly recommend the Detonator. Extremely satisfying when used against
Stalkers

And of course, Plasma Cutter is mandatory.

btw, I've noticed something strange.
More Marker pieces are appearing in the main menu every time I launch the game, and more text in that strange language as well.

Oh shit, a dynamic main menu like Resistance 2. Nice touch.

Top Bottom