• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Despera said:
I have the Vintage suit now and I'm on Chapter
. Pretty sure I got it in Chapter
. Not sure about the Advanced suit though, could be the one you're talking about here.

Shit, I think I missed the Vintage suit then. Do you remember where in Chapter 9 you saw it?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Shit, I think I missed the Vintage suit then. Do you remember where in Chapter 9 you saw it?

The schematic is just sitting on a shelf by a save point. I think it's chapter 8 though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
A question for those who bought this on PC:

1)any v-sync issues?
2)do mouse control well? no lag? and if it control well isn't the game too easy with it?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
subversus said:

1)any v-sync issues?
2)do mouse control well? no lag? and if it control well isn't the game too easy with it?

1.) Nope.
2.) Mouse control is perfect, no lag, no sensitivity issues at all. I haven't played it on console, but the difficulty thus far has been pretty light.

lilltias

Sinatar said:
1.) Nope.
2.) Mouse control is perfect, no lag, no sensitivity issues at all. I haven't played it on console, but the difficulty thus far has been pretty light.

Well knock me over and call me a pig’s uncle.

I'll just up the difficulty if it is too easy. So excite!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
To those of you playing this on pc with nvidia cards; do you force AA through the controlpanel? If so does it work well without too big of a performance hit?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Sinatar said:
1.) Nope.

thanks.

I will up the difficulty then and buy this at the end of the week.

-Mikey-

Went with the PC version. Runs amazingly well on all fronts. Played long enough to get to the second checkpoint which is about 5mins in. I'm NOT playing this in the dark at 4 in the morning.

LostVector

Neo Member
Ugh, tried to tweak the ini file to get 3D Vision working better but to no avail. The lights on the walls are all rendering in the wrong place for each eye, the flashlight is a screen depth effect, and some shadows still don't go away even when I turn shadows off. The settings.txt file is far too limited to disable effects in the required areas.

Total disaster. I'm guessing this will never get fixed ... what a waste of a potentially great game in 3D.

G_Berry

Banned
OK, so I mentioned that I was going to buy the 360 version over the PS3 version a while back and the triple having no disc swap + the Wii game is a HUGE bonus HOWEVER!!!

I need to know some things that may sway me...

- Does the triple version have DTS?

- Does the 360 version have avatar / gamer pic unlocks?

- Is the multi on the triple a laggy mess like most 3rd art games?

K' Dash

Sinatar said:
The schematic is just sitting on a shelf by a save point. I think it's chapter 8 though.

It wasn't for me, I found it when I used a power node on a door, so it seems to appear randomly.

For those interested in aquiring the DLC suits, I bought the nova pack yesterdayand the specs of the 3 suits are, 15% armor and 15 items, if you could carry more than 15 items before, they retain that ability, here are the special bonuses:

Suit 1 has +5% stasis recovery
Suit 2 has +5% stasis duration
Suit 3 has +10% health from health packs (I'm wearing this one)

Just saw the upgraded weapons at the store, have not used them cause I'm pretty happy with mine.

I'll buy another pack when I get home tonight and post the info of weapons + suits.

Edit: beaten :(

This game is great. I find it to be more difficult than the first but it's not a bad thing.

Just got to chapter 5, gonna call it a night though.

Truant

How is the upgrade system now that there are lots of different suits?

Does each suit have several visual/stat upgrade like the engineer suit in the first game, or do you just upgrade your "rig"?

Metroidvania said:
I found mine in one of the specifically mentioned
conduit rooms in chapter 1 or 2, that only apparently are open
if you've played Ignition.

Really? That's why they're open? If so, cool.

After putting about two hours into it. I'm not a fan of the "seamless" story. It seems I was one of the few people that liked the chapters being divided up and having a definite conclusion with Isaac getting on a tram in the Ishimura.

I kept waiting for an "end" last night so I could go to bed but instead I just kept going and going.

This isn't necessarily a huge problem, or even a moderate one, but I do have to say that I prefer each level/chapter having a distinct beginning and end.

Also...the whole "Nicole Is Dead" thing with the chapters from the last game had the fanboy in me gushing.

Other than that...spec-fuckin-tacularo.

Shortly after the ride on the tram...
when it crashes and Isaac is hanging upside down and having to shoot necromorphs as they charge in at him...
Wonderful.

Man...a zealot run is no joke. It's not too tough if you play smart but you have to always play smart. One mistake and you blow a tonne of ammo and health kits that you are definitely going to need later.

And the packs of slasher-babies...fuck.

JoeBoy101

Truant said:
How is the upgrade system now that there are lots of different suits?

Does each suit have several visual/stat upgrade like the engineer suit in the first game, or do you just upgrade your "rig"?

Your rig upgrades with power nodes like before, but with a few differences. Less HP nodes and other items like Damage for TK. The suits themselves do not have levels, but you have different suits you pick up. For example, I just went from the Engineer Suit to the Security Suit. More inventory slots and a bonus to Pulse Rifle Damage. And it looks very different visually.

scitek

subversus said:

1)any v-sync issues?

1) The In-game vsync has a 30fps cap again, just use D3doverrider and you'll get 60.
2) I haven't played the game much with M+KB but there were no lag issues at all when I tried it.

is it true that when you beat the game all your stats and weapons carry over to the a new game? if so, that gives me a reason to continue play throughs till i eventually beat hardcore mode or whatever it's called (playing survivalist currently)

bigdaddygamebot said:
Really? That's why they're open? If so, cool.

After putting about two hours into it. I'm not a fan of the "seamless" story. It seems I was one of the few people that liked the chapters being divided up and having a definite conclusion with Isaac getting on a tram in the Ishimura.....

Same here, I really enjoyed the chapters being broken up via the tram rides. For me it was all about the dread and anticipation of what was waiting in the next area of the Ishimura.

I really enjoy DS2 so far but I think when it's over I'm still going to prefer the first game.

fart town usa said:
Same here, I really enjoyed the chapters being broken up via the tram rides. For me it was all about the dread and anticipation of what was waiting in the next area of the Ishimura.

I really enjoy DS2 so far but I think when it's over I'm still going to prefer the first game.

Yep, for me, it really factored in psychologically like..."Alright...definitely have this taken care of. Onto the next thing"

I can't explain why, but I definitely prefer the DS1 chapter handling compared to DS2.

Flib

Played up to the start of Chapter 3 on my laptop (I have a decent gaming laptop, nothing crazy but it runs pretty much every game on high at 1900x1200, despite being dual-core).

Game is fantastic, but I do want to thank the devs for making a great PC port. Runs around 60fps for me with v-sync off, and haven't had any screen tearing at all. Game is absolutely gorgeous, and the mouse+KB controls are so good that I'm thinking about bumping the difficulty up, because I seem to be wrecking everything in two shots. The only thing I don't like is having to use the arrow keys while in the inventory, but I don't really know how they would get around that, and I'm hardly in there anyway.

Other than that, great game, setpieces so far are killer
the train was fantastic
, can't wait to dig in more. I don't think it's actually particularly scary, aside from a few jumps I had, but that's mainly playing it right after Amnesia.

LosDaddie

Banned
So....is the new song as creepy as the DS1 song (Twinkle Little Star)?

I swear, that shit scared the crap outta me. :lol And of course, my daughter had to learn the song at her pre-school. :lol

chris121580

Game is absolutely fantastic. On the part at the school on the stage
when the sun dropped down, I probably jumped 10 feet :lol

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Guts Of Thor said:
Just played a little past Ch. 2 and I can tell it's going to be a great game.

A couple questions:

Did I miss the hacker rig? I'm at the part
Where you get off an elevator in the apartments and hear a baby crying in one of the apartments
in Ch. 2.

What brightness setting would you all recommend? I'm on a Sammy LCD.

Anyone?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
scitek said:
People with ATI cards, how do I create a Darksiders profile? I use RadeonPro and I'm assuming that's done with CCC.
Under one of the tabs when you have a DS2 profile set up, there should be a AA compatibilities drop-down and (when I last used Radeon Pro) Darksiders comp. should be in there.

pahamrick

scitek said:
People with ATI cards, how do I create a Darksiders profile? I use RadeonPro and I'm assuming that's done with CCC.

Under the latest version of RadeonPro, in the Tweaks tab for your Dead Space 2 profile next to both Force Crossfire and Force Anti-Aliasing there's a Manage Custom Profiles link. Click on it and just add the Game Title and executable name then click add to either AA or CFX list.

Can you let us other ATI folks know if the Darksiders profile (Or even the DS1 profile) allows forced AA? Still waiting on mine.

Flib

Guts Of Thor said:

I think it's farther in the apartments, somewhere on the upper level before you take the elevator back down...though I may be misremembering. I don't think you've missed it though, it should be the next conduit room you come across.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
G_Berry said:
OK, so I mentioned that I was going to buy the 360 version over the PS3 version a while back and the triple having no disc swap + the Wii game is a HUGE bonus HOWEVER!!!

I need to know some things that may sway me...

- Does the triple version have DTS?

- Does the 360 version have avatar / gamer pic unlocks?

- Is the multi on the triple a laggy mess like most 3rd art games?
It has DTS on PS3, 360 version doesn't have avatar unlocks, and the multiplayer was pretty smooth for the one match I played. It was definitely smoother than the beta.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I wish we got more from having a DS1 save game. It would have been sweet to get all suit variants (this is the same engine as 1 so it shouldn't be hard to copy models over) and maybe a starting bonus like 3 power cores or 25k credits.

Nykad

RoboPlato said:
You get the refurbished plasma cutter, which is a skin of the plasma cutter from the first.

I wouldn't call it a skin, its a different model all together. I prefer the new plasma cutter to the old one anyways :p.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, I set the mood last night, waiting until the wife went to bed, cranking up the home theater with my headphones on, lights out. That fucking opening was crazy awesome! The graphics are great, love the texture work on Isaac. Some genuine scares too, especially (minor beginning spoiler)
Isaac's girl showing up with the hollowed out eyes and mouth, both at the beginning when the doctor is interviewing you (fuck me how she squatted on the desk!!) and then later in the elevator, freaked me the fuck right out!

The sound, however, is the king here. Especially the way voices are muffled and spatially distant, just mind-blowing how well it works. A ways into chapter 2 I just would walk around, listening to stuff, panning the camera around. Sick sound work, you devs you. I bow in your general direction.

Stallion Free said:
I wish we got more from having a DS1 save game. It would have been sweet to get all suit variants (this is the same engine as 1 so it shouldn't be hard to copy models over) and maybe a starting bonus like 3 power cores or 25k credits.

Part of the game is ammunition, nodes and money management. Personally, I'd like to avoid being given something that immediately impacts that game and potentially throws off the balance of the game from the very beginning.

I'm fine with what they gave. I played DS1 because I enjoyed the hell out of it. I don't need some kind of further reward for playing it as much as I did.

jdevil99

Same here, I sold the new plasma cutter off at the first store and have been using the old school one ever since, I'm on Chapter 7, after the disc switch, on the 360 version. Taking my time seeing as I'm savoring every moment, me being an uber Dead Space geek. I bought the CE of the PS3 one to leave unopened for collecting purposes and the 360 version to play through. Just ordered the SE Strategy Guide, but haven't decided on opening it yet. I like any hardbound guides, but this one being DS, I'm gonna try and keep it in pristine condition. Just for the hell of it, since I was in a spending mood, I ordered both NECA Dead Space 2 figures yesterday. They'll hang nicely on the wall next to the 3 versions of Issac Clark figures from series 1.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
bigdaddygamebot said:
Part of the game is ammunition, nodes and money management. Personally, I'd like to avoid being given something that immediately impacts that game and potentially throws off the balance of the game from the very beginning.

I'm fine with what they gave. I played DS1 because I enjoyed the hell out of it. I don't need some kind of further reward for playing it as much as I did.
IIRC, you will have 3 power cores picked up by the end of chapter 1 and 25k credits can't buy much other than power cores early on in the game. It wouldn't throw anything off.

Macattk15

How is the Dead Space : Extraction port on the PS3 game? Can you play it with a controller or do you need a Move (as you needed the Wiimote)?

jdevil99

It's what you'd expect. An HD version of the original. And you can use the PS3 controller. I'm glad they made it available on PSN and not just on the hard copies. Save me from opening mine. I beat the Wii version, and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable on rails shooters I've played on that system, and it has nothing to do with being a fan of DS. It is a good game all on its own without the fanboy hype I should probably be giving it.

Stallion Free said:
IIRC, you will have 3 power cores picked up by the end of chapter 1 and 25k credits can't buy much other than power cores early on in the game. It wouldn't throw anything off.

Except that you would have 6 nodes then instead of 3 by your estimates and 25K can buy a significant amount of ammo and health packs.

So...no.

Grisby

jdevil99 said:
It's what you'd expect. An HD version of the original. And you can use the PS3 controller. I'm glad they made it available on PSN and not just on the hard copies. Save me from opening mine. I beat the Wii version, and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable on rails shooters I've played on that system, and it has nothing to do with being a fan of DS. It is a good game all on its own without the fanboy hype I should probably be giving it.

How large is the download for Extraction on PSN?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
bigdaddygamebot said:
Except that you would have 6 nodes then instead of 3 by your estimates and 25K can buy a significant amount of ammo and health packs.

So...no.
Yeah it can buy a significant amount of plasma cutter ammo and small health packs because that's all that's available from schematics early on. And 6 nodes doesn't even get you that far upgrade wise.

FUUUUU

I was on Chapter 4 before I even noticed that I was going up in chapters, and all that time I thought getting to
that woman, forgot her name
was the first chapter, so a little disappointed with that. I was like, man this is taking ages!

Fucking scary jumps are all over this, in places that you kind of expect, but then don't happen, but then do happen when you think you're safe!

Also, I have this thing for the clicking sound when you aim. Weird.

Stallion Free said:
Yeah it can buy a significant amount of plasma cutter ammo and small health packs because that's all that's available from schematics early on. And 6 nodes doesn't even get you that far upgrade wise.

Dude...you don't get it. Play through.

scitek

pahamrick said:
Under the latest version of RadeonPro, in the Tweaks tab for your Dead Space 2 profile next to both Force Crossfire and Force Anti-Aliasing there's a Manage Custom Profiles link. Click on it and just add the Game Title and executable name then click add to either AA or CFX list.

Can you let us other ATI folks know if the Darksiders profile (Or even the DS1 profile) allows forced AA? Still waiting on mine.

Nothing I tried worked. Should probably let someone else who's done it before say for sure, though.

JoeBoy101

LosDaddie said:
So....is the new song as creepy as the DS1 song (Twinkle Little Star)?

I swear, that shit scared the crap outta me. :lol And of course, my daughter had to learn the song at her pre-school. :lol

Dude...

Going through the Hab Complex Apartments with people either screaming behind their doors or seeing them getting killed in the plaza, you come across one apartment with door open and blood everywhere. In the back though is a children's room with one of those rotating shades on a lamp with (unicorn) cutouts on it rotating all around the room. Once getting there, you lose it for a bit and there's Nicole sitting on the bed, bleeding from mouth and eyes. And she starts singing that song.

That is if I remember it right. I was a little... stressed, at the time.

So is the best money-making strategy in this generally the same one from DS1, i.e. sell off excess ammunition and health packs in exchange for more Power Nodes?

Top Bottom