• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Bought the 360 version last night. Probably won't have time to crack the plastic until Sunday at the earliest, but I had to pick it up. The first Dead Space is on my top 10 of all time, easily.

JoeBoy101 said:
Dude...

Going through the Hab Complex Apartments with people either screaming behind their doors or seeing them getting killed in the plaza, you come across one apartment with door open and blood everywhere. In the back though is a children's room with one of those rotating shades on a lamp with (unicorn) cutouts on it rotating all around the room. Once getting there, you lose it for a bit and there's Nicole sitting on the bed, bleeding from mouth and eyes. And she starts singing that song.

That is if I remember it right. I was a little... stressed, at the time.

That never happened to me at all.

I think you're going fuckin' crazy dude. There isn't even a
Hab Complex Apartments
level. You're crazy!

It happened to me too. It was awesome.

I'm fucking with you. It never happened. You're CRAZY!

Horsebite said:
WTF is going on in multiplayer when you play as the Necromorphs!?

I HATE EA and their three page manuals. :(

PROTip - kill the guys that look like Isaac.

It's really not that deep for Multiplayer. Play it. Look at the controls on the back of the instruction guide. You'll figure it out. I believe in you.

owlbeak

bigdaddygamebot said:
PROTip - kill the guys that look like Isaac.

It's really not that deep for Multiplayer. Play it. Look at the controls on the back of the instruction guide. You'll figure it out. I believe in you.
Well dur. I figured that part out. The spawning makes no sense. You look around and some stuff highlights green, I press A to "respawn". Sometimes it lets me, sometimes it doesn't and I just won't be able to respawn at all.

JoeBoy101

badcrumble said:
So is the best money-making strategy in this generally the same one from DS1, i.e. sell off excess ammunition and health packs in exchange for more Power Nodes?

Not entirely sure yet, but the Storage Closets you can get into with a power node have some randomized loot, but a LOT of it. One of them I walked out with nearly 20,000 credits and some ammo. They are way more useful it looks like than they were in DS1.

JoeBoy101 said:
Not entirely sure yet, but the Storage Closets you can get into with a power node have some randomized loot, but a LOT of it. One of them I walked out with nearly 20,000 credits and some ammo. They are way more useful it looks like than they were in DS1.
They were pretty good in DS1 too - the first couple of them were kind of crappy, but in the second half of the game you were pretty much guaranteed to pick up items worth more than $10,000 when sold, i.e. it was always worth it to open them up because you'd get more than a Power Node back. Sounds like they're even better this time around.

Horsebite said:
Well dur. I figured that part out. The spawning makes no sense. You look around and some stuff highlights green, I press A to "respawn". Sometimes it lets me, sometimes it doesn't and I just won't be able to respawn at all.

If someone else is using the spawnpoint...you can't spawn to it.

JoeBoy101 said:

My experience with these in DS1 was disappointing so I've avoided them in this game. Wish I didn't this time around. As someone said, the first half of DS1 the loot just didn't seem worth it. The next time I see a room though, I'm going in!

Are the power nodes cheaper in DS2?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hmm what's up with the game unlocking :

27th on steam
28th on d2d

I thought the whole unlocking thing was done by EA themselves and their software? Don't tell me there's somekind of exclusivity going on here?

edit : hmm interesting... the game is released the 28th in the uk, which is reflected by the uk steam store aswell, maybe the game will still unlock the 27th for us here in sweden ( where the game is supposed to be released 27th )

pahamrick

Looks like forcing AA causes the real-time shadows to disappear / not work. Well, guess that explains why ATI disabled forcing AA in one of their updates.

Darklord said:
I was going to buy the PC version but no DLC is a bummer. I'm not sure what to get now.

I'm in the same boat but I'm still leaning towards the PC version. Hopefully they come to their senses and give PC customers access to the content.

JoeBoy101

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
My experience with these in DS1 was disappointing so I've avoided them in this game. Wish I didn't this time around. As someone said, the first half of DS1 the loot just didn't seem worth it. The next time I see a room though, I'm going in!

Are the power nodes cheaper in DS2?

Nope, but I think I'm finding more than in DS1.

Dyno

Dead Space - Ignition. Where can I find it on my PS3? I went to the EA site, put in the code, got the PSN code, but that in, and Ignitinon was but a 6KB unlock. The thing is I can't find it. Where do I look for it now that it's been downloaded/unlocked?

Massa

Dyno said:
Dead Space - Ignition. Where can I find it on my PS3? I went to the EA site, put in the code, got the PSN code, but that in, and Ignitinon was but a 6KB unlock. The thing is I can't find it. Where do I look for it now that it's been downloaded/unlocked?

Get the trial from the Playstation Store, I'm assuming that unlock would turn that into the full game.

Fireblend

Banned
So, I've recently been very, very attracted to this game, been watching a couple of trailers and reviews and it looks just brilliant. But I never played DS1, and I'd really like to. Is it worth the price it's selling for right now in Steam? Should I be aware of any problem with the PC version? I'm really tempted to just buy it now and play away, but here's me asking you to push me over the edge.

Dascu

Fireblend said:
So, I've recently been very, very attracted to this game, been watching a couple of trailers and reviews and it looks just brilliant. But I never played DS1, and I'd really like to. Is it worth the price it's selling for right now in Steam? Should I be aware of any problem with the PC version? I'm really tempted to just buy it now and play away, but here's me asking you to push me over the edge.
It was on sale just a few days ago on Steam.

That said, current price is still more than worth it. There's an issue with mouse lag on PC, if you turn on vsync. If you turn it off, then the mouse works fine. I think you can force vsync through other software though.

JoeBoy101

Fireblend said:

1. Yes, its worth it. Game was reviewed as positively as the sequel is. Now, DS2 is an improvement over DS1 in my mind, but there is a lot of back story in the first one. Especially surrounding Nicole, how the events unfold, and about the Church of Unitology. And its real easy to get lost if you haven't played the first one.

Plus, if you haven't fought necromorphs before, the practice can't hurt.

2. If you need v-sync (which you probably will) force it through Nvidia control panel or ATI's version. The in-game v-sync caps the framerate at 30 fps.

3. Final thing I'll mention is that KB+M is a bit sluggish in DS1. 360 controller is a bit better, but precision is a good thing in these games, considering how you have to kill necromorphs. Don't worry though, as all the controls in DS2 are smooth.

Grisby

Man, oh man at the part before Ch 9. Issac is a total bad ass.

This was mentioned earlier as a intentional effect I believe but I still wish the audio for some of the characters came in clearer. Especially with a certain character, I can't understand a word she says 90% of the time.

Corky

JoeBoy101 said:
3. Final thing I'll mention is that KB+M is a bit sluggish in DS1. 360 controller is a bit better, but precision is a good thing in these games, considering how you have to kill necromorphs. Don't worry though, as all the controls in DS2 are smooth.

I wonder, I really want to do the whole "comfy-couch" shtick, so I'll be playing the game on pc with my 360 pad. Will this somehow significantly impede the aim-fidelity?

JoeBoy101

Corky said:
I wonder, I really want to do the whole "comfy-couch" shtick, so I'll be playing the game on pc with my 360 pad. Will this somehow significantly impede the aim-fidelity?

Don't get me wrong. Shooting necromorphs works. Its just taking off limbs with shots works quicker. And the weapons typically used are not bullet-sized. For example, the common plasma cutter actually shoots along a small three line path that you see when aiming. I used a 360 pad when I first played DS1 and it worked fine. I'm just more a KB+M player and unless you remove the in-game vsync, its sluggish as hell.

jsrv

Is the online activation code needed to use the DLC suits and Hacker Suit, or is that purely just for enabling the multiplayer mode?

Enojado

dreamer3kx said:
This game is all kinds of fucked up, was that a
kid in the washing machine I think in chap 2, I tried freeing him,
damn.

ha ha, me too. i stood there for a while and listened and then walked away.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Grisby said:
Man, oh man at the part before Ch 9. Issac is a total bad ass.

This was mentioned earlier as a intentional effect I believe but I still wish the audio for some of the characters came in clearer. Especially with a certain character, I can't understand a word she says 90% of the time.
There are subs, right? I will be so ticked off if there aren't any.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Yeah, there are subtitles. That one character who is difficult to hear was made difficult to hear on purpose, apparently.
Thanks for the confirmation. Singularity was basically ruined by its lack of subtitles. Even if you're not hearing impaired, the sound mix was so terrible that a lot of the story was basically unintelligible because you simply couldn't tell what the NPCs were saying. So glad Viseral didn't leave.them out in DS2!

-Mikey-

ultron87 said:
So are most of the doors that require Power Nodes worth it to open? Or are nodes better spent on upgrading stuff?
I keep at least one node on me if I happen to find one of these rooms. You can find schematics and some thingys to sell.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just a little somethin' from PC land:

deadspace2%202011-01-26%2000-30-41-51.jpg

Corky

Stallion Free said:
8x

Used Nvidia Inspector and used the AA compatibility 0x004030C0.

cheers mate,

and you can run that well enough to go all the way up to 8x on a single 460 ( thought I read somewhere that that was your card currently )?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Corky said:
cheers mate,

and you can run that well enough to go all the way up to 8x on a single 460 ( thought I read somewhere that that was your card currently )?
If you don't mind 30 fps at times. You need a 500 series Nvidia card to lock proper levels of AA at 60 fps sadly. When the 600 series drops I am going to pick one up and replay both DS1/2 with full AA and it's gonna be so damn good.

I am about to strategically dismember my UPS delivery guy. Yesterday I left a note while at work for them to leave my copy of the game from Amazon inside the building, but of course they didn't (they constantly wake me up on days off to open the door for other people's shipments, but when I'm not home they apparently don't bother ringing the other half dozen apartments occupied during the day :p). Now I want to go play the game at a friend's place, but I'm stuck waiting here until UPS tries to redeliver, and it's already past their estimated time. Mother fuckers.

Just had to get that off my chest. :(

Mudkips

Banned
badcrumble said:
So is the best money-making strategy in this generally the same one from DS1, i.e. sell off excess ammunition and health packs in exchange for more Power Nodes?

Seems like it.
Also, don't spend nodes right away. When you've got a few rounds in your plasma cutter, head back over to the bench and upgrade the capacity to get a free full clip. (I believe.)
Same goes for health I think.

But the best way is to just kinesis the fuck out of everything to save ammo. The babies take 1 plasma cutter shot to down, and (depending on your loadout) typically drop 3 plasma cutter rounds when the corpses are stomped/abused. +2 to plasma cutter ammo is good, but +3 is better. Throw shit at them instead of shooting them.
And you might want to stasis some of them while you smash the corpses of the ones you've downed. I'm playing on PC with everything maxed out, and the corpses don't all stay - they disappear quickly (either time or after a certain number). If it disappears before you smash it, you don't get the ammo.

I got my plasma cutter tricked out with the special fire upgrade in chapter 3.
I tear through shit like nobody's business.

The in-game AA option is just on/off.
I'm running at 1920x1080, I've got a 6970, and I'm using D3DOverrider or whatever to force vsync and triple buffering on.
Looks like I should turn the vsync option OFF in the game (and make sure CCC doesn't turn it on), then force a decent AA mode in CCC? The in-game "on" AA isn't doin it for me.

Corky

Stallion Free said:
If you don't mind 30 fps at times. You need a 500 series Nvidia card to lock proper levels of AA at 60 fps sadly. When the 600 series drops I am going to pick one up and replay both DS1/2 with full AA and it's gonna be so damn good.

Oh I see, well I'm on two 460s which in ideal conditions perform on par with a 580, but I have no idea how dead space handles SLI. Here's to hoping.

Top Bottom