• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished it. I'll write up more tomorrow but all I can say is holy fuck that was incredible. Chapter 10 and on was simply perfect.

Does anyone have any idea what the DLC content holds? The descriptions on XBL and PSN are terrible. I cannot find any information on the three packs.

george_us

I'm loving the level design so far. In DS1 it felt like you were going down a bunch of corridors (and rightfully so). Here everything feels much more open and multifaceted.

Square Triangle said:
Does anyone have any idea what the DLC content holds? The descriptions on XBL and PSN are terrible. I cannot find any information on the three packs.

It's definitely in the thread around here somewhere. There was a link to a Gamespot page that detailed every last bit of the content.

Beyond that, sorry man.

REV 09

Played about an hour of campaign then hopped into multi. Really like it so far. The levels feel more alive or lived in than DS1. Multi is kind of fun too...I like these little multi diversions that aren't cod clones. I'm glad it has the multi.

Prezhulio

hmmmm made it to the end of chapter 3 on zealot for my first run...really thinking about dropping down to hardened...so many deaths (which i'm ok with), but the VERY limited ammo feels almost unfair, we'll see - but i thoroughly expect the endgame encounters to be total bullshit at this rate.

still amazing so far though, even the match i played of multiplayer was great, and i didn't think it'd be very good. bring on the horde mode/onslaught mode dlc please!

scitek

~Kinggi~ said:
Oh god i have the conundrum of getting this for either 360 or Ps3. I have DS 1 on 360 and like consistency on my series purchases. But ps3 gots that free game and shit. How is Extraction on the PS3 using a Dual Shock?

Get it for PS3, it's free shit. Good free shit at that.

UFRA

My progress so far...

Dead Space Extraction - Finished Chapter 1.

WOW! The Move + Nav is really fun!! The aiming is so smooth and precise. I really enjoyed this. I've never been a fan of on-rails shooters, but this game really hit the spot for me. The little "puzzles" during hacking and the story in general really keep my interest. I like it.

Dead Space 2 - Finished Chapter 1.

So far so good. IMO the graphics are definitely improved over the first. Things just look a lot cleaner and crisp. The attention to detail in the game is great, everything looks awesome. Love the lighting effects as well. The gameplay feels just like the first (which is good IMO...I didn't want them to change that at all) and so far the story seems good.

Maybe I've been desensitised due to Dead Space 1, but I don't feel as scared with this one so far. I jumped a couple times just due to sudden loud noises, but the monsters haven't really freaked me out the same way yet. Either way, it's still enjoyable and gives me the creeps lol.

Hopped on one match of multiplayer before I quit for the night. Played some mode where the humans have to transmit a bunch of signals in order to win. At first it was a little confusing but after a minute I understood what was going on and won the game as necromorphs and humans. Didn't notice any lag at all and it was actually pretty fun. I was really skeptical and anti-multiplayer for this game, but they really made it pretty cool.

Really happy with this game. :D

george_us

Just got past the part where you fight those
raptor looking necromorphs in the church.

emot-stare.gif

UFRA said:
It's on the PS Store for download at $14.99.

Nice, thanks for the answer, did they up res everything from the wii? Wanted to get this game, but really dislike the wiis controls so wanted to try it on the move.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Pretty sure Extraction is the best not-so-on-rails shooter I have ever played. I'm at chapter... heck if I remember (
right after the sewer boss
) and the amount of gameplay solutions built upon such a simple premise is impressive. Hacking while shooting parts are genius.

Quite surprised by the quality of lip syncing and facial animations too. And the camera work is amazing.

Move works perfectly (playing it vanilla, without the Navi): fast, precise, cool. And I almost dig the graphics more than those of DS2. Don't get me wrong, two worlds apart, but I can't stand the jaggies (present in DS2) and there are none to be found in Extraction. Love how clean it looks.

UFRA

bucknuticus said:
Nice, thanks for the answer, did they up res everything from the wii? Wanted to get this game, but really dislike the wiis controls so wanted to try it on the move.

Honestly I never played the Wii version, but IMO the graphics look better than a Wii game.

I mean, in the 1+ hour I spent in the game I never once thought "man this looks ugly" or anything like that. It was actually pretty nice. Menus really look nice and slick too.

If trophy hunting is your thing, it also has 48 trophies and a platinum. Really quite an awesome game.

Just curious though, why not just buy DS2 and get this game as a freebie? ;)

jsrv

Just go through the first 3 chapters, game is much, much better than I expected.

I might just be using it wrong, but is the
Rivet Gun
the crappiest gun there is? I'm glad I didn't waste any power nodes on it before trying it out.

Found it amusing that the Hacker Suit somehow has triple the armor of the miner rig suit.

Can't wait to get my Jehuty suit!

Dartastic said:
I just wish I could play Extraction without my disk, but I understand why you need the disk installed to play it.

Uh because EA wants to get paid? Either you buy it from the PSN store or you buy DS2. I doubt they'd be fine if people just rented DS2 or MoH and got Frontline or Extraction for free.

EA ain't Santa Claus.

UFRA

Square Triangle said:
Uh because EA wants to get paid? Either you buy it from the PSN store or you buy DS2. I doubt they'd be fine if people just rented DS2 or MoH and got Frontline or Extraction for free.

EA ain't Santa Claus.

They could have handled it differently. In retail copies only they could have included a one-time-use voucher code that unlocks DS Extraction on the PSN store for you to download. Wouldn't this work?

Then if you rent it or buy it used, you don't get this voucher, and therefore you don't get Extraction for free.

UFRA said:
They could have handled it differently. In retail copies only they could have included a one-time-use voucher code that unlocks DS Extraction on the PSN store for you to download. Wouldn't this work?

Then if you rent it or buy it used, you don't get this voucher, and therefore you don't get Extraction for free.

True, they didn't account for those who buy used. Either way, I don't see the huge issue of having the disc in the drive =O

jsrv said:
Just go through the first 3 chapters, game is much, much better than I expected.

I might just be using it wrong, but is the
Rivet Gun
the crappiest gun there is? I'm glad I didn't waste any power nodes on it before trying it out.

Found it amusing that the Hacker Suit somehow has triple the armor of the miner rig suit.

Can't wait to get my Jehuty suit!

I think I might be the only guy who liked the Rivet Gun... I love firing a bunch of nails/rivets and then blowing guys up from the inside out... but in the second half of the game, it becomes far less useful.

jsrv

MiniBossBattle said:
So did people play extraction and ignition before they started DS2 to get the bonus stuff?
I am installing extraction now.
There's an extra for playing extraction?

UFRA said:
Honestly I never played the Wii version, but IMO the graphics look better than a Wii game.

I mean, in the 1+ hour I spent in the game I never once thought "man this looks ugly" or anything like that. It was actually pretty nice. Menus really look nice and slick too.

If trophy hunting is your thing, it also has 48 trophies and a platinum. Really quite an awesome game.

Just curious though, why not just buy DS2 and get this game as a freebie? ;)

I really prefer the 360 controller more, plus all my friends have 360's. So if I want to get into a few MP matches to play with them I can.

Smokey

holy FUCK

I've been playing the game in 5.1 but decided to try it with my headphones on because my gf is sleep. goddamnit. Within a few minutes of loading my save goddamn necromancer scared the SHIT out of me. To the point that I was spamming the RT button not hitting shit and I ran out of ammo lolol

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I think I might be the only guy who liked the Rivet Gun... I love firing a bunch of nails/rivets and then blowing guys up from the inside out... but in the second half of the game, it becomes far less useful.

Playing on Zealot, I've been reluctant to change up from the plasma cutter although I DO need some area attacks for the swarms and packs of baby-slashers.

Ammo can get a bit dicey at times and I do have a chance to use the free rivet gun and ammo I've scrounged up.

How many rivets, after detonating does it take to squash a necro?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
PLaying on Zealot I have the plasma cutter, line gun, Javelin and pulse rifle. Constantly scrounging for ammo for all of them lol

bigdaddygamebot said:
Playing on Zealot, I've been reluctant to change up from the plasma cutter although I DO need some area attacks for the swarms and packs of baby-slashers.

Ammo can get a bit dicey at times and I do have a chance to use the free rivet gun and ammo I've scrounged up.

How many rivets, after detonating does it take to squash a necro?

Five or six shots with a subsequent detonation seems to work for me, though if they're all center-mass, then it's a crapshoot.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
_tetsuo_ said:
PLaying on Zealot I have the plasma cutter, line gun, Javelin and pulse rifle. Constantly scrounging for ammo for all of them lol
Even on Normal I was hurting for ammo and Medpacks way more than I ever was in DS1. They really upped the survival part of survival-horror for this one.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Five or six shots with a subsequent detonation seems to work for me, though if they're all center-mass, then it's a crapshoot.

Fuckin necromorphs...someone oughta do something about them.

So can anyone speak to DS2 being similar to DS1 in something I've speculated on but never confirmed.

Playing DS1...a great deal, I seemed to get ammo drops for the weapons I was carrying more often than not. Sure...there was other drops but it was predominantly for the weapons I was carrying.

So I started only carrying around two weapons and I ended up more often than not with the ammo I needed.

So...has anyone noticed if that was the same for DS2?

Manus

I love how if you die in one part and restart from that area the monsters will spawn or come at you from different points each respawn. Makes it much more fun and challenging. Plus playing this with surround sound headphones is just bliss.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Fuckin necromorphs...someone oughta do something about them.

So can anyone speak to DS2 being similar to DS1 in something I've speculated on but never confirmed.

Playing DS1...a great deal, I seemed to get ammo drops for the weapons I was carrying more often than not. Sure...there was other drops but it was predominantly for the weapons I was carrying.

So I started only carrying around two weapons and I ended up more often than not with the ammo I needed.

So...has anyone noticed if that was the same for DS2?

It's similar for me, though occasionally I'll see ammo for other weapons, but very rarely. Mostly just ammo for whatever I'm carrying.

X26

Banned
Wonder how long until someone puts up a complete death compilation on youtube, the ones in DS2 put to shame even RE4

One of the worst for me was
the needle in the eye if you fuck it up, chapter 14 or 15

X26 said:
Wonder how long until someone puts up a complete death compilation on youtube, the ones in DS2 put to shame even RE4

One of the worst for me was
the needle in the eye if you fuck it up, chapter 14 or 15

I do my damn best to avoid getting killed, haha. The one possible one in the final chapter was fucking crazy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I pick up ammo for all kinds of weapons. That's actually why I bought the guns I have, because I kept getting ammo for them.

Before playing I saw a few comments like "holy fucking christ the game is amazing" and thought it was just new Car syndrome.

Just gotta say it is pretty damn great. They really upped the cinematic feeling in this, the game is insanely polished. The graphics have me stopping in each room and look around, which I rarely do in most games.

Can't wait to dig deeper

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I do my damn best to avoid getting killed, haha. The one possible one in the final chapter was fucking crazy.
I didn't even realize what was happening and I was like holy shit what just happened to his body. THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME. It almost happened to me a second time and I wouldn't have minded.

Top Bottom