• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just finished the game, only one complaint:
The necromorph that doesn't die and chases you while you're running to the Marker made my blood boil. I felt that that necromorph surved no role other than to piss me off.
On the other hand, it did create a sense of urgency in me and making me move fast.

TheUsual said:
Just finished the game, only one complaint:
The necromorph that doesn't die and chases you while you're running to the Marker made my blood boil. I felt that that necromorph surved no role other than to piss me off.
On the other hand, it did create a sense of urgency in me and making me move fast.

I was initially angered by
him, and felt it was a retread of the Hunter, but I quickly figured just to stasis him and run. He never bothered me too much as long as I was quick.

UFRA

bucknuticus said:
I really prefer the 360 controller more, plus all my friends have 360's. So if I want to get into a few MP matches to play with them I can.

Ah, fair enough. Well at least you can still get Extraction on it's own and still experience that. I highly recommend it since it's really an awesome Move game.

Chapter 10, man. That was one of the creepiest things I've done in videogames. I can't explain it.
You KNOW something crazy is going to happen, but they make you go through the place for like 10 doors before it happens. What a game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
God damn, on chapter 6 or 7 now, shit's ramping up.
I LOVED the way they continued the end of the demo, that whole segment to end chapter 5 was insane. On survivalist the damn Stalkers are the hardest things so far. The way they peek their heads out at you creep me out.

Clever Girls.
Elevator action achievement wasn't any fun at all. Detonator and pulse rifle alt fire works great for those of you going for this.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
YES, the game is unlocked wohooo what a great thing to wake up to. Played through the first two chapters and I can already say that this game supercedes Dead space 1 as one of my most favorite game of all time.

yes

yes

elwes

I was already sold back when they announced it, but the GB:QL has cemented the fact that I need this NOW. I don't think I've ever been that on the edge while watching a video of a game being played.

eso76

Truant said:
So is the demo level in the game? The three areas were cool, but in terms of progression it made no sense.

Didn't play the demo, but i've read people were puzzled by the fact they suddenly found themselves in a church.
Locations for the demo were just examples taken from different chapters; the final game has seamless progression from one area to another, in fact it's not even divided into 'chapters'.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ok, so RPS says:

Thanks to reader Dominic “Domino” Tarason for the tipoff, who also informs us that the vsync mouselag that troubled some folk in the PC version of Dead Space 1 is still alive and kicking in Dead Space 2. That is all.

is it true? I heard the opposite in this thread.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Truant said:
So is the demo level in the game? The three areas were cool, but in terms of progression it made no sense.

The demo level is basically a cut down version of one of the chapters.

KAOz

Short bus special
Fallout-NL said:
Heard they were just reskins or something. Wouldn't bother with them.

Not only. They also got different properties that do effect the gameplay. Like bringing more damage to your weapons and so on.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Stupid question, ill ask anyway. Does anyone know of anyone on Justin.tv who has streamed themselves playing Dead Space 2? Id love to watch a run through of the campaign ^_^

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Mr Cola said:
Stupid question, ill ask anyway. Does anyone know of anyone on Justin.tv who has streamed themselves playing Dead Space 2? Id love to watch a run through of the campaign ^_^

Don't know if this will help but I can get a stream up tomorrow if you are still interested :)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
_tetsuo_ said:
Don't know if this will help but I can get a stream up tomorrow if you are still interested :)
If you do the whole thing sure :D in stages of course, im looking for a full runthrough to watch. I "liked" Dead space one but i enjoyed watching others playing it 100x more, same with the bioshocks, god bless jtv

I'm on chapter 10 and really enjoying it. I hope these last six or so chapters are really long, because my total play time is about five hours and 10-12 hours was floated around a lot before the game's release.

K' Dash

KAOz said:
Not only. They also got different properties that do effect the gameplay. Like bringing more damage to your weapons and so on.

Meh, I bought the nova pack cause the Vintage Suit looks terrible, after the awesome Security Suit, wearing that sure made me feel unconfortable.

Ricker

bigdaddygamebot said:
Did you really know what you were buying?

Seriously. What did you think Dead Space was about?

I did lol,I beat Dead Space 1 on normal and all,I guess I just wasn`t in the mood for it last night...it was going ok until that big wide long room in chapter 5,at first you have the big guys that spew all those annoying little spiders,then there`s like a wave of about 10 non stop of some other kind of monsters...after about 5 tries I managed it but then I got to the room with the ones that charge you...those where awesome the first time you meet them but now I was just low on everything and couldn`t beat them...i`ll have to turn or adjust the brightness or contrast on my HDTV because it`s way too dark,I can`t barely see those little spiders on the floor or those sticks that you pick up and fling.

I`ll try again tonight...

Wiggum2007

Only thing I miss is the awesome 3D map. Granted the more streamlined level design doesn't really call for it anymore, but dammit that thing was so cool!

robot

Sorry if this has been asked before - but does anyone recommend playing Ignition before Dead Space 2? I'm up to Chapter 5 in DS2 but would start over if the story ties together nicely. And if they give some cool bonuses.

JoeBoy101

Truant said:

It does when I tell you this...

The freezer area? Thats a crypt. You're underneath the Unitology Church headed to the top and have to go through the Crypt to the Bascilia and forward. The end of the demo is similar but plays a little bit different.

JoeBoy101

Anyways got through Chapter 7 or 8, not sure which, where you have to
realign the solar array and escape on the Tram with Ellie and Stross

The whole space sequence with the array, though short, was great. I also love the added tension of non-necromorph puzzles and action, namely the 'descent' from the array to the tram, going through the processing plant, and dealing with the security AI.
Visceral is showing a real knack for cinematic moments that are not heavy handed or even predictable.

Also, and I'm going to leave this unspoilered, though its hardly one. The Elementary School section is easily some of the most disturbing shit I've played in a while. Not really that hard, but VERY unsettling.

Dyno

AvidNobody said:
How does Dead Space 1 PS3 run?

Beautiful. No issues whatsoever.

Anyone rocking the Hacker Suit? I found it to be a nice little upgrade.

EA is getting it right when it comes to new purchase incentives. Buying Dead Space 2 on PS3 provides you with a host of game experiences, a full package. I say enjoy it while it lasts because this kind of deal will not be around once the industry goes digital.

ultron87

robot said:
Sorry if this has been asked before - but does anyone recommend playing Ignition before Dead Space 2? I'm up to Chapter 5 in DS2 but would start over if the story ties together nicely. And if they give some cool bonuses.

You should at least launch Ignition, skip the first cutscene and complete the first puzzle so that it creates a save. This takes all of five minutes and unlocks a bunch of rooms in DS2 that contain fancy stuff. You've already missed the first one that contains the Hacker suit though. I dunno if that'll just get bumped forward to the next room.

rhino4evr

I played the first 30 minutes of this game yesterday. Already really Impressed.

So do people prefer to shoot Verticaly or horizontal with the plasma cutter? I seem to prefer horizontal, not sure why it's not the default option.

Dyno

ultron87 said:
You should at least launch Ignition, skip the first cutscene and complete the first puzzle so that it creates a save. This takes all of five minutes and unlocks a bunch of rooms in DS2 that contain fancy stuff. You've already missed the first one that contains the Hacker suit though. I dunno if that'll just get bumped forward to the next room.

Yeah, there are four additional treasure rooms added, including the decent and well-timed Hacker Suit. I played Ignition first for an hour or so, up until the puzzles got difficult. Then I fired up DS2 and was informed that I had more goodies.

big_z

rhino4evr said:

So do people prefer to shoot Verticaly or horizontal with the plasma cutter? I seem to prefer horizontal, not sure why it's not the default option.

horizontal. if DS2 is anything like the first then there is nothing you need to cut in the vertical setting.

rhino4evr

big_z said:
horizontal. if DS2 is anything like the first then there is nothing you need to cut in the vertical setting.
Exactly! So why make Vertical the default on the gun? Having to switch over every time is annoying. It's a minor complaint, but still.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I only ever use vertical on the dudes who are stuck to the wall that have tentacles coming out of the chest cavity (there are a lot more of them in DS1 than 2). Other than that, I am horizontal pretty much 100% of the time.

Ricker

CitizenCope said:
Is there an easy mode? This is for somebody else. =D

Yep,it`s called casual and you can change difficulty at any time...on the 360 you get a warning that it might affect the achievements though ;P

TheUsual

Gold Member
The game was solid and it was tough. Made it to chapter 13 on survivalist and I had to turn it down to normal because I couldn't get past a part on the higher difficulty. I was so close to finishing too :(

Flib

rhino4evr said:

Depends on the enemy. It's almost useless on some enemies while vertical, while I find standard necromorphs easier to kill while vertical.

Grisby

Hey guys, I think I'm on Ch12, 13? Where you
make it to the Earth Gov's fortress of solitude
. I know I only have about two chapters or so left. My question is are they long chapters?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Grisby said:
Hey guys, I think I'm on Ch12, 13? Where you
make it to the Earth Gov's fortress of solitude
. I know I only have about two chapters or so left. My question is are they long chapters?
Not too long but they have some tough spots. Took me a while to get through them.

Top Bottom