• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
On the end of chapter 7 now and YES! FUCK YES you did this chapter, I was hoping something like this would take place and this is perfect.

Grisby

RoboPlato said:
Not too long but they have some tough spots. Took me a while to get through them.

Oy, thanks bud. No wonder they were loading me up on med packs the previous level or two. I swear I was getting nothing in that department and then I got flooded.

Merovin

ezekial45 said:
Haha

Gamefly sent me the Limited Edition disc for the game. I just got Extraction for free.

Don't all PS3 versions have Extraction free on the first run? I got that too. Plus I got the other one, can't remember the name, but as a pre-order incentive! So pretty good deal overall.

ezekial45 said:
Haha

Gamefly sent me the Limited Edition disc for the game. I just got Extraction for free.
You can't actually play the LE-included version of Extraction without putting the disc in your PS3.

Chapter 6 now... the story is building up nicely, and the game Just keep getting better and better, I didn't get this nervous playing a game for a while now... what a beautiful feelings :D

Facism

balls. Postie hasn't delivered Vanquish today so that means Dead Space 2 is gonna arrive next week.

Bag of wank.

scitek

Just beat it. Spoiler-ridden thoughts below.

Man, they reeaaally stretched it thin there at the end. It was the same three or four enemies over and over and over. Respawning enemies fucking suck, Visceral, don't pull that shit next time please. Overall, chapters 13-15 were pretty rough. They felt uninspired and like a rip out of a Resident Evil game where you inevitably end up at the HQ or lab setting of the entity that started it all. The end "boss" was fucking terrible, I died like 10 times trying to be all clever and tactical before giving up and just spamming the shit out of her with my plasma cutter. Next thing I know, shit blows up and the game ends. WTF? So yeah, the end was a big step down, but chapters 1-12 were nothing short of incredible.

I think the highlight for me was going back to the Ishimura in chapter 10. I was actually creeped out for the first time in the whole game (I didn't find it scary in the least otherwise, sorry), especially with the little touches like still being able to make out "CUT OFF THEIR LIMBS" scribbled on the wall in blood. Awesome stuff.

I'm most impressed with the amount of polish the game has. Its presentation is amazing and it's really solid from a production standpoint. I can't wait to plow through it again on NG+. In the end, I suppose the highest compliment I can pay it is that I don't feel like I wasted $60. That's huge from me because I really don't pay that price often. If I do, it's because I have high expectations going in, and this one managed to live up to them 75% of the time. Now to try multiplayer and enjoy the few unlocks there are, but I can see myself playing through this game multiple times. It's better than the first in every way, I think.

I'll have a video review up tomorrow or Saturday on my YouTube channel.

Any recommendations for best weapons to focus on and which ones should get upgraded the most? I mean, obviously the plasma cutter is your bread and butter as usual, but what else?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
badcrumble said:
Any recommendations for best weapons to focus on and which ones should get upgraded the most? I mean, obviously the plasma cutter is your bread and butter as usual, but what else?
Plasma cutter, line gun, pulse rifle, and focus gun were my bread and butter, just like in DS1. Those worked really well for how I play, especially if you make good use of the secondaries. Focus gun plus pulse grenade equals lots of dismemberment.

RoboPlato said:
Plasma cutter, line gun, pulse rifle, and focus gun were my bread and butter, just like in DS1. Those worked really well for how I play, especially if you make good use of the secondaries. Focus gun plus pulse grenade equals lots of dismemberment.
Sounds good, since those were the ones I used in DS1 as well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
brandonh83 said:
This game is so awesome that I haven't played it since Tuesday. I want to drag it out as long as possible.
It's long, in a good way. Took me just under 12 hours to finish and that's not counting deaths and retries. Definitely going back in tonight for NG+.

RoboPlato said:
It's long, in a good way. Took me just under 12 hours to finish and that's not counting deaths and retries. Definitely going back in tonight for NG+.

Damn, really? I've been seeing a lot of 6-7 hour completion times and it made me not want to keep going :(

Corky

brandonh83 said:
Damn, really? I've been seeing a lot of 6-7 hour completion times and it made me not want to keep going :(

huh, damn speedjunkies, I'm not really taking my time and playing on normal I've already clocked in 7hours for the first 8 chapters.

Do the chapters get longer or something? I made it to chapter 4 in about... probably 2 hours or less and I was certainly taking my time.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Started playing extraction with move. Might play DS2 on PC though. I dont have a Wii so its my first ever motion controlled shooter and I dont like the fact that I dont control the camera. Hate it! Extraction is decnt game, but its so hard for me to wrap my head around the automatic camera. Cant I play it along with my DS3 or second move controller, controlling the camera myself?

kittoo said:
Started playing extraction with move. Might play DS2 on PC though. I dont have a Wii so its my first ever motion controlled shooter and I dont like the fact that I dont control the camera. Hate it! Extraction is decnt game, but its so hard for me to wrap my head around the automatic camera. Cant I play it along with my DS3 or second move controller, controlling the camera myself?

You've never played an on-rails shooter before?

Alucrid

Banned
Corky said:
huh, damn speedjunkies, I'm not really taking my time and playing on normal I've already clocked in 7hours for the first 8 chapters.

I took my sweet time and ended at a little under eight hours. This was on normal of course. If you're playing on a harder difficulty it's probably longer. The length though, isn't really that much of an issue since you'll want to replay this a shit ton. That's one thing they did really, really good, the end game, giving us a new game+ was incredible.

Fuck, release date check? I have to put up with this on non-Steamworks games as well now? :(

And I'm willing to bet that pirates are already playing it.

I got the PS3 version as well so I guess I'll fire up Extraction.

NinjaBoiX

Looking to pick this up on friday, big fan of the first game. Quick question, if I buy the limited edition on ps3, is extraction on the disc or do you get a download code?

Phionoxx

extraction is included on the disc as bonus content. You install the entire game to your HDD I think it is about 3.5 GB. You also need to have the dead space 2 disc in the PS3 in order to play extraction, but it's not that big of a deal.

Question guys:

After I buy the "advanced suit" is there anything else big worth saving my money for, or should I node up?

Also, I got the "Special" upgrade for the cutter... but I don't see the difference.

Mudkips

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
Question guys:

After I buy the "advanced suit" is there anything else big worth saving my money for, or should I node up?

Also, I got the "Special" upgrade for the cutter... but I don't see the difference.

Adds a fire effect to shit you hit.
Dunno if it increases damage in general, has an effect on certain enemies only, or what.
Seems pretty underwhelming to me so far.

That said, I intend to use nothing other than the plasma cutter, so I might as well have it.

Just got this and I can't decide which difficulty to start on. How are you guys finding the normal difficulty? Don't want it to be too easy. Also how does the new game+ work?

Corky

Air Zombie Meat said:
Just got this and I can't decide which difficulty to start on. How are you guys finding the normal difficulty? Don't want it to be too easy. Also how does the new game+ work?

I think it's balanced well, I have a tad more ammo than I "should" atm, but I'm running low and low on funds so it seems rather balanced as of now. Died several times due to carelessness så the enemies are no slouchs

Corky said:
I think it's balanced well, I have a tad more ammo than I "should" atm, but I'm running low and low on funds so it seems rather balanced as of now. Died several times due to carelessness så the enemies are no slouchs

Thanks, that sounds good to me, guess I'll start with normal. Just as long as it isn't a cakewalk. Gives me more excuses to replay it on the higher difficulties later anyway. :)

Chapter 13 spoilers.
Cross your heart and hope to die... That was the most affected I've ever been by video game imagery. I mean... shit, man. That was fucked up.

I hit Chapter 10 last night. Holy hell there's some amazing stuff in this game. I want to mention two of the absolute best action sequences I've experienced so far and probably the most standout level in a horror game I've seen in a long time:

Realigning the Solar Array in deep space and the subsequent high speed ejection and fall back to the Sprawl. Just a completely blood pumping experience! I loved it.

The extension of the demo including the battle with the Tormentor also in deep space. Igniting the missile to finally end his ass was one of those slow down moments in a film where the hero throws out some cheesy quip to finally trash the monster in the end. Isaac didn't quip but I kept hearing Horner's score from Aliens in my mind as I completed it. :D

That freaking elementary school. Oh god that school!! Watching the mother call for the baby and the blood splatter that follows set ups that place so well.

It takes Dead Space 2 a little time to really break out of its own familiar shell. The first couple of chapters are very much the original Dead Space but by the time you reach
the Church of Unitology
the game REALLY comes into its own.

A few things I also wanted to mention:

- The game simply has the most incredible lighting effects. Even when it's not being showy about it, the lighting is naturalistic and effective.
- Unitology is honestly one of the creepiest and most psychopathic cults created in fiction. That these people believe in
an amalgamation of Elron Hubbard and Jesus as thier martyr figure in Altman and in the Marker being a divine object is one thing. It's a whole other level when they see what the Marker truly does (convergence!) and yet you have characters like Daina wanting to kidnap Isaac to create more of them!
-
Reintroducing the Ishimura at the end of Chapter 9 and showing that it somehow survived Aegis VII was a nice touch. It really got me into the story even more just because I want to find out how it made the trip back!

Top Bottom