• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm only at chapter 10 but I have to get this off my chest :

This game was put under A LOT of undeserved angry scrutiny during pre-release, and I'm so fucking happy it not only exceeds mine ( and seemingly everybody elses ) expectations, but shatters all the " bububju I feel like ds2 is bioshock 2 tralalal " preconceptions.

To Visceral games!

TheJollyCorner said:
this will be my first horror game played with surround sound.

am I going to die of fright? :D

Most assuredly yes

Nizz

Corky said:

This game was put under A LOT of undeserved angry scrutiny during pre-release, and I'm so fucking happy it not only exceeds mine ( and seemingly everybody elses ) expectations, but shatters all the " bububju I feel like ds2 is bioshock 2 tralalal " preconceptions.

To Visceral games!

Most assuredly yes
These impressions sound awesome! It's killing me I don't have the cash to buy this just yet. :( So happy it turned out well. Just by the demo alone I knew it was going to be great.

Corky

purple cobra said:
These impressions sound awesome! It's killing me I don't have the cash to buy this just yet. :( So happy it turned out well. Just by the demo alone I knew it was going to be great.

Oh bet your ass man, and one other thing the demo of dead space 2, just like the demo of dead space 1, does a not do a good job of giving you an indication of the quality. If anything both demos were very misleading and the demo for the first game is, imo, one of the worst demos ( no offence to anyone who was chosen to put it together, it's not an easy game to demo ) ever.

Corky said:
Seriously. This game reeks of confidence in a way that few games manage to do.

I wish I knew more about the DS universe, though I don't really have the time to read all the comics/book, all the games and movies.

Any good links to the overall fiction besides wiki, thats not overly detailed?

Which control scheme did you guys choose? Center/Classic?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
betweenthewheels said:
I wish I knew more about the DS universe, though I don't really have the time to read all the comics/book, all the games and movies.

Any good links to the overall fiction besides wiki, thats not overly detailed?

Which control scheme did you guys choose? Center/Classic?

I'm on Classic, felt weird without it.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
Corky said:

To Visceral games!

Most assuredly yes

Hey! Thanks!

~ DS2 Team

Smokey

Corky said:

To Visceral games!

Most assuredly yes

dude..didn't you JUST get the game, or it unlocked or whatever.

Lakitu

st5fu
First thing in the morning, I'll go get the game. Was going to hold off after I finish my Oblivion playthrough, but I just can't (I'm more of a one game at a time guy).

S1kkZ

vas_a_morir said:
Guys, here is the problem with Dead Space: I've played through both games, and I have no idea what is going on.
same for me. they dont do a good job with the storytelling (like halo).
i finished ds2 a few hours ago and i love it, but please: better storytelling next time.

Corky

Smokey said:
dude..didn't you JUST get the game, or it unlocked or whatever.

technically, the game unlocked 00.01 the 27th for us in sweden. And this has to be the first time in many many years I have focefully pulled myself away from a game after sitting non-stop for like 8hours. I just....love it.

On another note, the game has really made me feel like I got my moneys worth from my new gaming-rig. The visual prowess of the game is fantastic.

Facism

Monkey Pants said:
Hey! Thanks!

~ DS2 Team

reckon you could do an angry phonecall to Royal Mail so my copy gets delivered tommorrow instead of monday? I'm gagging for this so bad. Dead Space 2 is Resident Evil 6 for me.
DS1 was RE5 :3

Nizz

Corky said:
technically, the game unlocked 00.01 the 27th for us in sweden. And this has to be the first time in many many years I have focefully pulled myself away from a game after sitting non-stop for like 8hours. I just....love it.

On another note, the game has really made me feel like I got my moneys worth from my new gaming-rig. The visual prowess of the game is fantastic.
That's great, I love it! :D :D

Smokey

Corky said:

I'm playing on 360 and it looks nice. Playing on a Sony HD CRT too and the black level of the TV really helps with the game. So dark and moody.

Can only imagine how it is in 1080p 60fps etc. May have to double dip when I get my gaming PC in a couple of months.

Alucrid

Banned
S1kkZ said:
same for me. they dont do a good job with the storytelling (like halo).
i finished ds2 a few hours ago and i love it, but please: better storytelling next time.

I thought it was all pretty clear cut.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
By the way, everyone. I wanted to clarify that the timer on the game re-sets to what it was at the last checkpoint when you die.

In other words, unless you never died, your playthrough time was probably quite a bit longer than that timer says.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
vas_a_morir said:
Guys, here is the problem with Dead Space: I've played through both games, and I have no idea what is going on.

Really? I can't speak for 2 yet but 1 was easy to understand.

stupei

Corky said:

To Visceral games!

Most assuredly yes

Really? I know some people were concerned by the comments about making the game less tense and stressful (which were LIES) but I thought the reaction to Dead Space 2 overall was way more positive than the response to Bioshock 2 for whatever reason. For me it's almost the opposite of what you're describing. I was excited for the game, so very hyped, and the anticipation only got bigger as release date approached.

And it's lived up to the hype in every possible way thus far.

vas_a_morir said:

Do you read the text logs? Because you really, really have to in order to really understand and appreciate everything.

Corky

_tetsuo_ said:
Really? I can't speak for 2 yet but 1 was easy to understand.

I think the same goes for 2 but I do agree that the story is an underlying part of the game, it has to make way for everything else and thus might be "overlooked" or not fully understood.

Nevertheless, as long as the story isn't all out ludicrous then it's all good.

vas_a_morir said:
What don't you understand? As mentioned, the text and audio logs help a good bit in filling in the blanks during the games events but it all seems pretty straightforward. I can see how some of the overall questions may be unclear though (about Unitology, the marker etc.).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
GringoLOCOo said:
I heard that they cut a lot of stuff from the New game+
You don't get a cash bonus or 10 power cores like you did in Dead Sapce 1, but it told me two new suits were available and it lets you up the difficulty.

BeeDog

I'm up to chapter 3 I think, (major spoilers)
not long after the fantastic train sequence.
This shit looks beautiful and plays beautifully. Amazing stuff, really. But I have to quote myself, hope someone can help me out:

BeeDog said:
I'm probably just retarded, but why is the "Redeem Code" option greyed out? PS3 version here.

robot

Not to derail - but I picked up Ignition for $2.50 on ebay. I can't believe how bad the art is in this game. And I guess they animated in flash, it's pretty hilarious how some of the characters move like jell-o.

The racing minigame is pretty cool though, reminds me of that gba game that came out in japan. But wow, overall this is pretty awful. Good thing it unlocks some stuff in Dead Space 2.

Draft

robot said:
Not to derail - but I picked up Ignition for $2.50 on ebay. I can't believe how bad the art is in this game. And I guess they animated in flash, it's pretty hilarious how some of the characters move like jell-o.

The racing minigame is pretty cool though, reminds me of that gba game that came out in japan. But wow, overall this is pretty awful. Good thing it unlocks some stuff in Dead Space 2.
It's so incredibly terrible.

You just need a save to get the DS2 unlocks. Beat the first puzzle, never play again.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
robot said:

It's one of the worst preorder bonuses I've ever gotten.

Just going to join in saying this game is great! Enjoying this SO much more than the first so far.

Dead Space had great atmosphere, but i found the story didn't interest me enough to keep going. Dead Space 2 is a big improvement.

on a side note: if anyone is having PC Performance Issues

When first booted up, the game (via EADM) ran at 5-15 FPS when in game whenever there where any light sources in frame.

To fix this i deleted the game, since it auto installed to Program Files, deleted the video drivers (ATI) and ran Driver sweeper in safe mode.

after all that, i download the latest drivers (for ATI these are from yesterday) and install the game again (placed in C:\Games folder where i have full rights)

Now the game is locked at 60 FPS :)

I'm currently at the last boss of the game, and I need some tips/help...

I'm at the end, trying to defeat forever respawning Nicole, and I'm having issues. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? When she first shows up, I hit her with 6 shots from the plama cutter, and then one burst from the force gun takes her out. Then, when she comes back, I get her with two bursts from the force gun. I try to find force gun ammo whenever the little necromorph children disintegrate cause I find that she goes down in 3 or so bursts. Thing is, it just keeps on going for I don't know how many rounds. Sometimes I'm dumb and run into her when she respawns, but most of the time I die by those little necromorph children. There's like way too many of them. I need help. :/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
lastinline said:
I'm currently at the last boss of the game, and I need some tips/help...

I'm at the end, trying to defeat forever respawning Nicole, and I'm having issues. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? When she first shows up, I hit her with 6 shots from the plama cutter, and then one burst from the force gun takes her out. Then, when she comes back, I get her with two bursts from the force gun. I try to find force gun ammo whenever the little necromorph children disintegrate cause I find that she goes down in 3 or so bursts. Thing is, it just keeps on going for I don't know how many rounds. Sometimes I'm dumb and run into her when she respawns, but most of the time I die by those little necromorph children. There's like way too many of them. I need help. :/
as soon as she disappears, target the yellow thing on the marker in the background. you will have to repeat this 5 or more times IIRC.

Max

I am not Max
Stallion Free said:
as soon as she disappears, target the yellow thing on the marker in the background. you will have to repeat this 5 or more times IIRC.
It only took me 2 times (Normal) :|

Gypped.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played a few chapters in NG+ and there's some really nice stuff about it. Your RIG, stasis, and plasma cutter are all maxed out right when you get them, you don't need to get to the first shop. I also upgraded the Refurbished Plasma Cutter my first time through and it applied those upgrades to the standard Plasma Cutter, which I'm using this time through. I assume the same is true for those who upgraded the Hacker Contact Beam as opposed to the Contact Beam. The two new suits are great. Nice armor bonus and the one that isn't free has a really, really useful secondary ability. I'll be sure to use that for my Zealot run.

Stallion Free said:
OMG, that's what I'm doing wrong! Thank you so much.

Max

I am not Max
Stallion Free said:
Look not all of us are pro lol.
Maybe it was because my pulse rifle was fully upgraded + 5% from the security suit

Dax01 said:
Is it just me, or does this game get annoyingly difficult toward the end?
It was just stupid how many enemies they threw at you during the last few sections. That combined with
the regenerator.
I'm all for difficulty, when it's done right, but during the last two chapters it just pissed me off.

Well the game just unlocked an hour ago and the 20 minutes I've played so far seem good.

However I have a slight issue with the PC version.

HOW DO I PAUSE THE GAME?!

It wont let me change the control set up for JUST the pause menu. Does it not let you pause in the first moments of the game or something?

I have also tried with the Xbox 360 controller and that doesn't work either when I press start.

Confused am I.

Top Bottom