• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Why For?

Banned
All those slots for Logs, should they ALL be full?

Because I'm sure I took my time and scoured everywhere for logs in Chapter one, but only found 3/4 worth according to available slots.

Just I think the game doesn't set up the story well. What is the marker? What are Unitologists? You have to read outside the game to know all of this. What is convergence? Who is this guy trying to kill Isaac? It's not WELL explained. Resident Evil 4 was far easier to follow. I think they are too ambitious with the story. .

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
vas_a_morir said:
Just I think the game doesn't set up the story well. What is the marker? What are Unitologists? You have to read outside the game to know all of this. What is convergence? Who is this guy trying to kill Isaac? It's not WELL explained. Resident Evil 4 was far easier to follow. I think they are too ambitious with the story. .
The Marker and Unitology are explained quite well in the first game, with a lot more background on the creation of Unitology. The other things are also outlined quite well in audio and text logs. The player is supposed to be a bit confused for a while since Isaac is too. You do get all of the necessary info by the end, though.

Why For?

Banned
vas_a_morir said:

If you haven't played the first game, there's a separate menu that gives the story from 1 for people who never played it.

Sorry for quoting myself but I have a feeling leaving this at the bottom of the last page will end up having this unread:
ashbash159 said:
Well the game just unlocked an hour ago and the 20 minutes I've played so far seem good.

However I have a slight issue with the PC version.

HOW DO I PAUSE THE GAME?!

It wont let me change the control set up for JUST the pause menu. Does it not let you pause in the first moments of the game or something?

I have also tried with the Xbox 360 controller and that doesn't work either when I press start.

Confused am I.

Burger

ashbash159 said:
Sorry for quoting myself but I have a feeling leaving this at the bottom of the last page will end up having this unread:

I haven't played it yet, but the GT review said something about a lack of a pause menu...

RoboPlato said:
It gets a lot harder but I found most of the game to be pretty easy so I didn't mind too much.
What difficulty were you playing on? I'm playing on survivalist, and I died more during the final few bits of the game than the rest of the game combined. I still have yet to defeat the
final boss/Nicole

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Gribbix

ashbash159 said:
There is an issue with the pc version that may or may not be related to the steam overlay which will prevent you from pausing when you hit esc. Worse yet, you can't save your game either. Exit the game before you go any further and avoid using the steam overlay to be safe. I got hit by the issue and had to repeat the game's intro.

S1kkZ

Dax01 said:
What difficulty were you playing on? I'm playing on survivalist, and I died more during the final few bits of the game than the rest of the game combined.

which weapons do you use? i love the laser gun: the alternate fire mode is so awesome (especially when you upgraded it and the shockwave gets a stasis effect).
it really helps when the enemies come from all sides.

S1kkZ said:
which weapons do you use? i love the laser gun: the alternate fire mode is so awesome (especially when you upgraded it and the shockwave gets a stasis effect).
Right now I'm using the assault rifle, plasma cutter, and the javelin gun. I mean, even if I had different weapons, the amount of enemies they were throwing at you at once was insane (in a bad way).

S1kkZ

Dax01 said:
Right now I'm using the assault rifle, plasma cutter, and the javelin gun. I mean, even if I had different weapons, the amount of enemies they were throwing at you at once was insane (in a bad way).

assault rifle is useless (imo). standard fire is too weak and the grenade hurts you more than the enemies (in small rooms). the laser gun has a great secondary mode which creates a shockwave and pushes the enemies back.

but yeah: whoever decided to put that many enemies in the last 2 sections...well, i should not continue...

gdt

Just started Chapter 6, holy fuck. That
space fight was badass

Loving the shit out of this.

Question, Ch6 is 3 hours in for me.....how long is the game?

S1kkZ

gdt5016 said:
space fight was badass

took me 8 hours on normal.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
gdt5016 said:
space fight was badass

Took me 10 on Normal without counting deaths/retries. The chapters get longer for a while in the middle.

S1kkZ said:
assault rifle is useless (imo). standard fire is too weak and the grenade hurts you more than the enemies (in small rooms). the laser gun has a great secondary mode which creates a shockwave and pushes the enemies back.

but yeah: whoever decided to put that many enemies in the last 2 sections...well, i should not continue...

How many enemies do they put on the screen at once?

S1kkZ

nextgeneration said:
How many enemies do the put on the screen at once?
4 or 5 but its a constant respawning. its really annoying when two enemies appear in front of you and you get attacked by another enemy behind you. that happens way too often.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
S1kkZ said:

Pulse rifle was pretty useless in DS1 but I find it to be really effective against the Pack.

S1kkZ

RoboPlato said:
Pulse rifle was pretty useless in DS1 but I find it to be really effective against the Pack.
because you can kill a pack member with one hit. i was impressed with the ar at first but its not a good weapon against the later enemies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
S1kkZ said:
because you can kill a pack member with one hit. i was impressed with the ar at first but its not a good weapon against the later enemies.
True. That's what stasis and the maxed out Plasma Cutter are for. :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Outtrigger888 said:
Gonna pick this up tomorrow, I know the single player will be good, but hows the multiplayer?
I've only played a couple games in the final but I played the beta a decent amount. It's a pretty fun little diversion, nothing I'd play at length but it's solid.

Jeramii

Banned
RoboPlato said:

totally... never touched the pulse rifle in DS1, but DS2 it is my rescuer with those giant hordes of enemies who come out of nowhere.

edit. sorry i meant the force gun... the force gun is my bailout that i never used in DS1.

Grisby

Just finished on normal, about 10 hours or so I believe.

What a ride, what a ride. Hopefully you guys at Visceral are celebrating because you did a damn good job on this game. I'm going to see if I can't fully articulate my feelings into something more substantial later but wow if I'm not grinning ear to ear right now.

The game did get wwwwaaaaayyyyy more difficult at the last two chapters, but I feel it was only because of a certain enemy. Well, that and the tight corridor necromorph gangbang.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jeramii said:
totally... never touched the pulse rifle in DS1, but DS2 it is my rescuer with those giant hordes of enemies who come out of nowhere.

edit. sorry i meant the force gun... the force gun is my bailout that i never used in DS1.
I think I'm the only person who used the Force Gun is DS1 and it's still good in 2. It's really useful.

Draft

I don't know if I'll ever get around to posting details thoughts on DS2, but this one thing keeps leaping at me (no, not those ANNOYING monsters that walk on their hands.)

DS2 on hard is the true Resident Evil game that a lot of people thought RE4 was going to be. Maybe my game skill is in the basement, but I'm playing on hard and my health is always yellow, I'm always low on ammo, every fight is a struggle and I spend pretty much all my money at every shop on health packs and ammo. This is true survival horror.

Dax01 said:
What difficulty were you playing on? I'm playing on survivalist, and I died more during the final few bits of the game than the rest of the game combined. I still have yet to defeat the
final boss/Nicole

I'm a moron for highlighting that, but tell me sincerely why you have to fight
Nicole?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ChoklitReign said:
I'm a moron for highlighting that, but tell me sincerely why you have to fight
Nicole?
It's a fight within Isaac's own mind. Part of him is trying to activate the Marker while the other wants to destroy it. The brainwashed part that wants to activate the Marker is represented by Nicole.

ezekial45

Banned
Help with Chapter 15:

Is there something i'm supposed to do with Nicole? I thought i was supposed to keep killing her, but she keeps coming back. I must've went through six or so waves of enemies. It just keeps going.

What am i supposed to do?

Grisby

ezekial45 said:
Help with Chapter 15:

Is there something i'm supposed to do with Nicole? I thought i was supposed to keep killing her, but she keeps coming back. I must've went through six or so waves of enemies. It just keeps going.

What am i supposed to do?

Shoot her until she disappears. There should be a large marker/tree/heart thing that appears in the background. It's a golden color. Shoot the heart part. Rinse and repeat.

Don't let her make out with you.

vas_a_morir said:
Guys, here is the problem with Dead Space: I've played through both games, and I have no idea what is going on.

Seriously? I thought the narrative was fantastic. Though I did go through DS1 and all the text/audio logs and they provide a lot of backstory and context, but even without it, I thought it had a great story.

ezekial45

Banned
Grisby said:
Shoot her until she disappears. There should be a large marker/tree/heart thing that appears in the background. It's a golden color. Shoot the heart part. Rinse and repeat.

Don't let her make out with you.

Thanks. It was still a pain in the ass though. I got pummeled in the section before and this part really caught me off guard. I had no health items and i was low on ammo. It was pretty unfair.

Anyway, this was a great game. I definitely felt that the horror elements were toned down a little. I was on edge at times, but nothing really scared me.

Also, did anyone else think The Sprawl was a weak setting for the game? I don't think they set it up too well.
The first game had the great opening with Ishimura floating in space, but this game just had you straight inside. You never really got a good look of the place you were in. Like establishing shots or something. It didn't feel like a real setting like in the previous game, just a bunch of corridors. I think the pre-release interviews and docs did a better job of describing the place than the game did. I don't really recall any of the characters ever mentioning the name of the place.

Anyway, it's still a awesome game. That was just my one gripe with it. I'm gonna start the second playthrough now.

ezekial45 said:
Thanks. It was still a pain in the ass though. I got pummeled in the section before and it really caught me off guard. I had no health items and i was low on ammo. It was pretty unfair.

Anyway, this was a great game. I definitely felt that the horror elements were toned down a little. I was on edge at times, but nothing really scared me.

Also, did anyone else think The Sprawl was a weak setting for the game? I don't think they set it up too well.
The first game had the great opening with Ishimura floating in space, but this game just had you straight inside. You never really got a good look of the place you were in. Like establishing shots or something. It didn't feel like a real setting like in the previous game, just a bunch of corridors. I think the pre-release interviews and docs did a better job of describing the place than the game did. I don't really recall any of the characters ever mentioning the name of the place.

Anyway, it's still a awesome game. That was just my one gripe with it. I'm gonna start the second playthrough now.

It would've been nice to actually hit the wide open streets or something, yeah, explore the city itself. Ignition sheds a little bit more light on the Sprawl itself, its separated into two sections called the Upright City and the Inverted City. There was opportunity to see more of the city, but I guess the story didn't really lends itself to that. I wonder what other locations future games may go to...

Alucrid

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
It would've been nice to actually hit the wide open streets or something, yeah, explore the city itself. Ignition sheds a little bit more light on the Sprawl itself, its separated into two sections called the Upright City and the Inverted City. There was opportunity to see more of the city, but I guess the story didn't really lends itself to that. I wonder what other locations future games may go to...

Do they even have 'streets'? I feel like all the buildings are just connected by the tram if anything.

george_us

Draft said:
I don't know if I'll ever get around to posting details thoughts on DS2, but this one thing keeps leaping at me (no, not those ANNOYING monsters that walk on their hands.)

DS2 on hard is the true Resident Evil game that a lot of people thought RE4 was going to be. Maybe my game skill is in the basement, but I'm playing on hard and my health is always yellow, I'm always low on ammo, every fight is a struggle and I spend pretty much all my money at every shop on health packs and ammo. This is true survival horror.
Shit I feel this way on Normal. I just got to the
Daycare; the part where you turn off the power in the gym
and I have to somehow survive a horde of demon children, exploding babies, and one of those black necromorphs. Not only that but I only have 4 line racks, 6 shots of plasma ammo, and 4 Javelin spears. There's FAR more emphasis on Stasis and Kinesis than on the first game. Both mechanics felt tacked on in the first game as far as combat went but here you NEED to use them or you risk being completely screwed when it comes to ammo.

So, I completed Dead Space 2. All in all, I think it was amazing. The later chapters, Chapter 10 on were just okay, but Chapter 1-9 were really good. :)

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, I didn't care how there was just a lot of necro gang bangs all one after the other.
I'm finding it annoyingly difficult throughout on Survivalist.

There's nothing more fun that being one-shotted by something off camera.

pakkit

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
I don't understand. There are audio logs, video logs, interactive elements (plenty of signs to debrief you on Unitology in Chapter 3). There's Extraction, which shows the initial outbreak. There's the anime, and the comic book too.

Even without these extraneous elements, I feel like the central narrative in Dead Space is one of its strongest elements. Similarly to the Half Life series, it feeds you just enough of a line to push you along. Certainly stronger than anything the RE series has offered.

Irish

I kind of missed the hub-like structure of the first game. I also missed seeing the visual upgrades in the the engineering rig. I mean, I like that there are several different suits, but I think I would have like to go through an upgrade process with each as well.

I'm not really feeling any relief from the tension like the developers supposedly intended. It's just as dreadful as the first!

Which is a good thing

I also had fucked up, violent dreams too after my first night playing :S

Pancho

Qurupancho
Finally got myself the game! Currently on CH3 on survivalist and I'm having a blast.
I realized though, that I have been de-synthesized with Dead Space since I don't find the 2nd one(for now) very scary. Not criticism, I'm loving it as much as the first one just without the large bulge of crap in my pants

Manus

I'm playing on Zealot and just finished chapter 5 and I don't think I've had green health since chapter 1. Love it!

Pancho said:
I realized though, that I have been de-synthesized with Dead Space since I don't find the 2nd one(for now) very scary. Not criticism, I'm loving it as much as the first one just without the large bulge of crap in my pants

I'm the same, but I still find it very intense and dreadful. Though some of the new enemies freak me out quite a bit.

venom2124

vas_a_morir said:
Chapter 13 spoilers.
Cross your heart and hope to die... That was the most affected I've ever been by video game imagery. I mean... shit, man. That was fucked up.
This was uncomfortable to watch to say the least.

Top Bottom