• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
don't get me wrong, it's pretty much indisputable fact that every game/work-of-fiction worth a grain of salt has a train, preferably a steam-train and/or a murder mystery on the train, but recently the run-away train with the environment scroll has been the hot new thing.

I wonder if it really is as transparent as people looking at what another dev did and thinking to themselves "hey, good idea, we can do that too". That seems a bit cynical, I'd like to believe it isn't true... but it seems so likely.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The environmental scroll + train has been around forever.

I remember Soldier of Fortune 1 having it.

But that wasn't on the triple or made by Naughty Dog so who gives a fuck.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stallion Free said:

yeah i'm sure that's exactly what rez is going for.

scitek

Stallion Free said:

You sure?

Quick question.

Are the enemy placements and item (ammo, credits etc.) all in the same position for each difficulty. I assume the the number of rounds they give out is less on harder difficulties.

Just wondering if the enemies increase and appear from elsewhere on the harder difficulties. Thx.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The final chapters on Zealot are sucking away all the fun I have had with the game thus far. Are enemies regenerating indefinitely in some rooms? Cos I swear they just kept coming in some, depleting all my ammo. I had to run past them at some point.

Too many cheap deaths too.

TTP said:
The final chapters on Zealot are sucking away all the fun I have had with the game thus far. Are enemies regenerating indefinitely in some rooms? Cos I swear they just kept coming in some, depleting all my ammo. I had to run past them at some point.

I think you're supposed to run. That's what I did, staying and fighting just wasn't a viable option. Stasis was pretty much all that worked (though I admit, for me, that was intense as hell).

scitek

TTP said:

Too many cheap deaths too.

Yes, they respawn. You have to run. I bet it's a bitch on zealot the first time through.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
scitek said:
Yes, they respawn. You have to run. I bet it's a bitch on zealot the first time through.

Fuck.

FUCK!

All my ammo lost for nothing (I kept killing and saving to update the checkpoint data). I hate when games do that without a "RUN!" warning.

Oh well, at least I managed to get to the final confrontation eventually. Any tips on that? I'm really worn out after having spent the last 4 hours for nothing so I just want to end this as soon as possible.
Do I need to focus on Nicole or do I have to clean the area from the shadows first?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TTP said:
Fuck.

FUCK!

All my ammo lost for nothing (I kept killing and saving to update the checkpoint data). I hate when games do that without a "RUN!" warning.

Oh well, at least I managed to get to the final confrontation eventually. Any tips on that? I'm really worn out after having spent the last 4 hours for nothing so I just want to end this as soon as possible.
Do I need to focus on Nicole or do I have to clean the area from the shadows first?
Focus on her. She can one hit kill you and you need to damage her to open up the Marker's core.

So I've beat the game twice now this weekend and I'm working on finishing my third run on Zealot. Went Survivalist -> Normal (to upgrade + achievement hunt) -> Zealot. Only achievements I'm missing are Zealot and Hardcore (which I plan on getting right after Zealot). Man...It's been a LONG time since I finished a game and immediately decided to replay it (replaying in three times in this case!).

While I enjoyed the mystery to the story of Dead Space 1, I felt the sequel improved upon just about everything else (graphics, game play, enemy variety, set pieces, etc.).

Despite being a crazy year with titles like Uncharted 3, Mass Effect 3, and (hopefully) The Last Guardian, I'll be damned surprise if this game still doesn't rank real high on my end of the year GOTY list.

Bravo, Visceral!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TTP said:
Fuck.

FUCK!

Focus on her, once the core opens up all the shadows go away for a little bit. Your loadout is pretty important here, especially if you're on zealot. You'll probably need to focus on the shadows a little bit with something like the force gun.

scitek

TTP said:
Fuck.

FUCK!

I died like 20 times trying to be all strategic and shit. Running around, healing, trying to avoid taking damage, it didn't work. I eventually said "fuck it" and just spammed the hell out of her and the marker with the plasma cutter and, next thing I know, the game ends. I was on Survivalist, though, so I don't know if you can do that.

aristotle

So I finally watched all of the cutscenes for Ignition and I watched all of DS: Aftermath. They set up DS2 really well surprisingly. Aftermath is sort've like The Animatrix though in that there are several styles throughout. The 2d animation was really pretty good as a direct-to-video release. The 3d was severely lacking. This is forgivable though since it's mostly just a vehicle for the 2d animation. The 3d segments are separated throughout to get the story of each character. Overall I liked it, but the back-tracking got a little old at first. It tied everything from DS1 to DS2 very well. Kudos.

Replicant

aristotle said:
So I finally watched all of the cutscenes for Ignition and I watched all of DS: Aftermath. They set up DS2 really well surprisingly.

God, you're lucky. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY IGNITION. What a fun-sucking game that was. The only fun part is probably the tower-raid mini-game. The rest? Sucking and frustrating. AVOID AT ALL COST. Don't say I didn't warn you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Replicant said:
God, you're lucky. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY IGNITION. What a fun-sucking game that was. The only fun part is probably the tower-raid mini-game. The rest? Sucking and frustrating. AVOID AT ALL COST. Don't say I didn't warn you.
I got it for free for preordering DS2 and I felt like I got screwed. It can't be exaggerated how fucking bad it is.

Fyi for all the lazy gamers like me, took me 6.5 hours to beat this on Casual, upgrade RIG, Plasma Cutter, and Rifle all the way. Also got all the suits.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'm not feeling scared by this game like I was in Dead Space 1. Granted, I'm only halfway through Chapter 2, but I'm not spooked.

Tendo

I replayed Dead Space 2 weeks ago. Chapter 10 is of course really messing with my head. Just got decontaminated and yeah... Gun drawn the whole time ready to freak out. Loving this stage.

Grisby

Started a second playthrough and one of my suits is gone. I had switched discs on the 360 and the next store prompted me to buy a suit I swear I had already purchased. Looked in my safe box and its not there. :(

Oh to the guy asking above, yeah Extraction is at least worth a rental. Fantastic game and a good 'dead space' story.

Plissken

Chiggs said:
I'm not feeling scared by this game like I was in Dead Space 1. Granted, I'm only halfway through Chapter 2, but I'm not spooked.

Wait until you get to the Church. There's a section there that freaked me the fuck out, had to stop playing for a few minutes afterward.

Finished my Zealot run today, that last section was brutal until I figured out the best way to get through was stasis, run, stasis, run, repeat. Overall I really enjoyed the experience, but it does get a bit monster closet-ish at the end. Looking forward to replaying on Hardcore, I NEED that handcannon. :)

Favorite moments:

The entire Church level, but especially the area where the stalker/raptor enemies are introduced.
Pretty much all the zero-g sections were awesome, but the solar panel alignment and subsequent ejector seat part were the standouts for me.
No lady, don't touch the baby! DON'T PICK UP THE BAB.......KERSPLODE! BLOOD! The whole elementary school was fucked up, in a good way. :)
Going through the Ishimura again, what an intense level. If you've played the first game, you pretty much expect guys in every corner, but they let the suspense build and build before enemies come at you.
The ending was perfect, such a great moment using just one word. "What?"

Kudos to the entire team at Visceral, you not only met but completely exceeded all my expectations for the sequel. Now, if you could just somehow convince your EA overlords to release the DLC on PC; I would love to give you more money. :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Papercuts said:
Focus on her, once the core opens up all the shadows go away for a little bit. Your loadout is pretty important here, especially if you're on zealot. You'll probably need to focus on the shadows a little bit with something like the force gun.

I have Pulse, Javelin, Force and Plasma Cutter. I'm low on ammo on all of them except the Pulse rifle. I'm using the Javelin secondary fire to dispose of the shadows. I run in circle around the perimeter, wait for them to pack behind me and then I turn and fire. I try to collect as much ammo as possible while I shoot at Nicole to keep her at bay.

But then, after shooting at the core for the second time I find myself with little Javelin ammo so I'm sort of fucked when the shadows come back.

I'm on my 12nd attempt now. Having Nicole spawning right in front of you when running away from the Marker was an awesome idea! So fun to die and restart like that! God bless the "restart at checkpoint" option. At least I don't have to watch my death animation ever time.

God is this leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Difficulty was fine till chapter 12 or 13, but then it all started to go downhill run and gun style. Shouldn't have gone Zealot on my first pt.

dreamer3kx said:
Quick one, if I have two guns in my inventory will the ammo pickups be for those particular guns?
Pretty much, yeah.

You'll occasionally get ammo for other guns but you can just sell those.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
TTP said:
I'm on my 12nd attempt now. Having Nicole spawning right in front of you when running away from the Marker was an awesome idea! So fun to die and restart like that! God bless the "restart at checkpoint" option. At least I don't have to watch my death animation ever time.

God is this leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Difficulty was fine till chapter 12 or 13, but then it all started to go downhill run and gun style. Shouldn't have gone Zealot on my first pt.

The final battle was so fucking tedious. A real disappointment (the last three chapters, but the final battle in particular) given the greatness that came before.
I ended up running back to the last upgrade station to max out my pulse rifle (the four weapons I went in with were all upgraded a little, but none were maxed out). Once I had a maxed pulse rifle, it only took me two and half "Nicoles" to finally finish the game.

Has there been a date announced for the DLC? Very excited for it.

scitek

Got to mid-way through ch. 2 on Hardcore before something dropped on me in the darkness and killed me in one hit. Not meant for me.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
aristotle said:
So I finally watched all of the cutscenes for Ignition and I watched all of DS: Aftermath. They set up DS2 really well surprisingly. Aftermath is sort've like The Animatrix though in that there are several styles throughout. The 2d animation was really pretty good as a direct-to-video release. The 3d was severely lacking. This is forgivable though since it's mostly just a vehicle for the 2d animation. The 3d segments are separated throughout to get the story of each character. Overall I liked it, but the back-tracking got a little old at first. It tied everything from DS1 to DS2 very well. Kudos.

I didn't think Aftermath was that interesting (I would have preferred something that focused on how Issac was found), but EA really should have used a DVD/Blu-ray as the pack-in for the Collector's Edition instead of that stupid plastic gun. It's pretty much essential viewing if you want to know the who/what/why of Stross. Although one thing I didn't quite understand: in Aftermath,
Stross is shown as wanting to build/restore/understand the marker - he's a Unitologist. But in the actual game, he's helping Issac out in his quest to destroy the marker. Seems like a bit of a contradiction.

I need to get Salvage. Maybe that explains more of the Issac backstory.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Stallion Free said:

But the train level in Uncharted 2 wasn't simply a stationary train with a scrolling environment.

Miroku

My strategy for the finale on normal worked really well so I think it will probably work on harder modes but I'm not sure.
Use the alt fire of the line gun for Nicole, just land it about one or two steps in front of her. When it explodes it will trigger the marker to open up, then use the Javelin gun on it. This finished the fight pretty quickly.
Of course I wouldn't be surprised if there are better ways.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
luxarific said:
The final battle was so fucking tedious. A real disappointment (the last three chapters, but the final battle in particular) given the greatness that came before.
I ended up running back to the last upgrade station to max out my pulse rifle (the four weapons I went in with were all upgraded a little, but none were maxed out). Once I had a maxed pulse rifle, it only took me two and half "Nicoles" to finally finish the game.

Has there been a date announced for the DLC? Very excited for it.

Yes! That did it! Piece of cake with the rifle maxed out. Thanks for the tip :)

aristotle

luxarific said:
I didn't think Aftermath was that interesting (I would have preferred something that focused on how Issac was found), but EA really should have used a DVD/Blu-ray as the pack-in for the Collector's Edition instead of that stupid plastic gun. It's pretty much essential viewing if you want to know the who/what/why of Stross. Although one thing I didn't quite understand: in Aftermath,
Stross is shown as wanting to build/restore/understand the marker - he's a Unitologist. But in the actual game, he's helping Issac out in his quest to destroy the marker. Seems like a bit of a contradiction.

I need to get Salvage. Maybe that explains more of the Issac backstory.

You know for some reason I never picked up on that. Derp@me. It's probably because all of the death involved. Although I'm not even half-way through DS2 so maybe his story is fleshed out more. I agree that is should've been included with the CE version though. I dunno if there is a story out there yet that tells how Isaac was discovered, but I haven't read the comics though.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
TTP said:
Yes! That did it! Piece of cake with the rifle maxed out. Thanks for the tip :)

Took me about 16 deaths with my
non-maxed out weapons before I said fuck it and ran back to upgrade (I was getting up to seven or eight "Nicoles" and still the damn marker wouldn't die).
Really sucked the joy out of the end game for me. :/

EDIT: not sure if this is the text you meant, but I'm spoiler-tagging it just in case since I'm going to bed.

:/ = smiley, not a tag.

LiK

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Yeah, it does.

Come on, Lux, tag that.
Thanks, checked the OP and they mention it lol. Now I'm seriously considering buying a Move for Extraction. Goddamit!

Miroku

Chiggs said:

Turn up the volume of your sound system. Then turn it up again.

Speaking of Stalkers, how did you guys deal with them?

At first I tried to hunt them and outsmart them, but they simply ran away too much and never really gave me a shot (only had the Plasma Cutter and Line Gun at that point).

So, my strategy was to put my back to a wall and wait for them to charge. When charging, I'd take out one of their legs, and when they crawl I'd take care of the arms.

LiK

Chiggs said:
Same here, I didn't get creeped out until Chapter 6. The first half of the game had some jump scares but lacked the tension of the first. I think it's cuz we already kicked so much Necromorph ass in DS1. ;)

Sidzed2

Revolutionary said:

At first I tried to hunt them and outsmart them, but they simply ran away too much and never really gave me a shot (only had the Plasma Cutter and Line Gun at that point).

So, my strategy was to put my back to a wall and wait for them to charge. When charging, I'd take out one of their legs, and when they crawl I'd take care of the arms.

I basically just sit tight in a corner with the Detonator and place proximity mines in a defensive wall around me. All you need to do then is wait for them to charge and 'kaboom'. Those who just want to play peek-a-boo can be blasted from afar.

hteng

Banned
Revolutionary said:

pretty much, it's pointless chasing them down, you never know if one of them is going to charge you from behind. so stink to a wall and have them come to you.

LiK

Revolutionary said:

Had my back to the wall, waited for them to charge and then Line gun to their legs. Pretty easy. Use Stasis on them if you need to reload.

Top Bottom