• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Zeliard said:
Force Gun schematic is
towards the start of Chapter 7 in one of the lockers after you ride up that large maintenance lift.
Oh thank goodness, I just got to Chapter 7 and was starting to worry that I'd missed the schematic.

When do you get the Advanced Suit? I'm still stuck with the Security Suit.

LiK

darkjedi187 said:
So I will give the force gun a spot for my second playthrough. I missed the schematics and wasn't able to get it till way late in the game. didn't seem too useful compared to my other upgrades weapons.
Force gun seems more powerful in DS2 than DS1. Its pretty awesome. The large attack radius is a real life saver. One of my primary weapons in the game.

Zeliard said:
Force Gun schematic is
towards the start of Chapter 7 in one of the lockers after you ride up that large maintenance lift.

Thanks! It was the only one I missed and I think it was ch10 it's available in the store.

badcrumble said:
Oh thank goodness, I just got to Chapter 7 and was starting to worry that I'd missed the schematic.

When do you get the Advanced Suit? I'm still stuck with the Security Suit.

In chapter 11. you should have gotten the vintage suit in chapter 7.

Patryn

darkjedi187 said:
Finished last night. The DS2 was everything I was hoping for. The last chapter was a bit of a bitch, but fun none the less.

What are everyone's favorite 4 weapons? I maxed out the plasma cutter, always had the line gun and pulse rifle. I never found a fourth gun that I really enjoyed. Maybe on playthrough 2 I will give the force gun some time.

Dead Space, as a series for me, is all about the Ripper. Once I have that sucker, it's no longer about tactically hanging back and trying to pick off the enemy, it's about getting right in there and causing maximum carnage.

Helpful that it kills things right quick, and that the blade keeps spinning, so if someone drops behind me, when I swing around I'm already killing it.

You also get the fun of being a bullfighter with the stalkers. Wait for them to charge, sidestep, and use the Ripper to cut their legs out from under them. Ole!

It makes me love the sections like
the elevator ride in which all the necros keep dropping from the sky. Fucking easy as hell. Just grind 'em up in 3 seconds and wait for the next batch.

Hell, in the final boss fight I didn't even realize that Nicole respawns based on your location, because I kept charging that bitch straight on with the Ripper.

That's actually one of my favorite things: In DS1, you couldn't really use the Ripper for the final boss. In this game, it's a totally valid strategy.

But I think I'll ditch the Line Gun as my fourth slot in my next run for the Force Gun, since people seem high on that.

Wiggum2007

darkjedi187 said:
In chapter 11. you should have gotten the vintage suit in chapter 7.

Boo! That suit is featured in pretty much every piece of Dead Space 2 promotional material and the game is going to be almost finished by the time I get it. Ah well, that's what NG+ is for I guess.

LiK

Wiggum2007 said:
Boo! That suit is featured in pretty much every piece of Dead Space 2 promotional material and the game is going to be almost finished by the time I get it. Ah well, that's what NG+ is for I guess.
Yea, but you also unlock new suit schematics only in NG+ so more suits to get. Gotta catch them all!

Mako_Drug

Most unoriginal yet appealing idea evar? Dead Space done Mertoidvaina style. Like Shadow Complex but you know...with a Dead Space skin. It just seems like a natural fit with finding weapon schematics and upgrading your rig etc. Then you'd have a big ship like the Ishimura where you can explore and travel back to previous areas once you have the right equipment.

mileS

I forgot about forcing Anisotropic Filtering so I did that plus MLAA... the game already looked really good but man what a difference now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mako_Drug said:
Most unoriginal yet appealing idea evar? Dead Space done Mertoidvaina style. Like Shadow Complex but you know...with a Dead Space skin. It just seems like a natural fit with finding weapon schematics and upgrading your rig etc. Then you'd have a big ship like the Ishimura where you can explore and travel back to previous areas once you have the right equipment.
Omg Codecow do it do it do it. This sounds the perfect idea to hold us over until DS3. I would vastly prefer this over another Extraction style game.

Truant

Mako_Drug said:

I'd love this if it was in 3D.

One big environment free to explore, with obvious limitations to give the player a sense of progress like Metroid Prime.

Allow players to specialize and invest even more in their playstyle, like bigger incentives to invest nodes in a particular weapon.

AI Director.

Dascu

Mako_Drug said:
Yes. Do this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mako_Drug said:
Oh. My. God.

I need this.

Alucrid

Banned
Mako_Drug said:

No. I want more games like Dead Space Ignition!

darkjedi187 said:
Finished last night. The DS2 was everything I was hoping for. The last chapter was a bit of a bitch, but fun none the less.

What are everyone's favorite 4 weapons? I maxed out the plasma cutter, always had the line gun and pulse rifle. I never found a fourth gun that I really enjoyed. Maybe on playthrough 2 I will give the force gun some time.

I only bought 4 weaps on my first playthrough. Maxed out stasis, the plasma cutter and the hacker contact beam. That thing is so over powered once maxed out, takes about a 1.5 seconds to charge and can kill a black necromorph in one shot. Alt fire's AOE stasis was a godsend in the later chapters too. I also had the line gun and pulse rifle, the line gun wasn't that useful for me, probably because I didn't upgrade it much, while the pulse rifle was handy for mines and the pack. I kinda wished I tried out more weapons but I guess that's what new game + is for

LiK

MDavis360 said:
Maxed out Ripper is insanely good.

I can't quite get the hang of the Force Gun...
Complete opposite for me. I love the Force gun especially the alt fire. But I suck with the Ripper in both DS1 and DS2

Mako_Drug said:
This would rock, ESPECIALLY because it's a perfect fit for the Isaac-as-engineer thing. You could open up massive new areas by fixing life support systems, turning electricity on, remotely closing shutter doors on decompressed areas to make them safe to travel through, turning on the trams, obtaining higher security access for opening locked doors later in the game... it'd be a great fusion of character and environment because anything that worked would work because YOU had fixed it.

Zeliard

LiK said:
Complete opposite for me. I love the Force gun especially the alt fire. But I suck with the Ripper in both DS1 and DS2

I use both extensively. The Ripper is really great if you're playing on the higher difficulties and running low on ammo, since one blade with its primary fire can subdue several enemies. You can use kinesis to bring the blade in closer to work the range a bit. It can have issues against enemies who have knockback abilities, but otherwise it's very powerful.

I don't generally use the Ripper's alt fire nearly as much - I prefer to save the blade for the primary, since with alt fire it basically does the same thing as the plasma cutter's primary. Using kinesis to grab a used alt 2 blade doesn't seem to work anymore, when I think that worked in Dead Space 1.

Patryn

Zeliard said:
I use both extensively. The Ripper is really great if you're playing on the higher difficulties and running low on ammo, since one blade with its primary fire can subdue several enemies. You can use kinesis to bring the blade in closer to work the range a bit. It can have issues against enemies who have knockback abilities, but otherwise it's very powerful.

I don't generally use the Ripper's alt fire nearly as much - I prefer to save the blade for the primary, since with alt fire it basically does the same thing as the plasma cutter's primary. Using kinesis to grab a used alt 2 blade doesn't seem to work anymore, when I think that worked in Dead Space 1.

The Ripper's alt fire is only to be used when you're panicking...
Or when you're at the end boss and you no longer give a fuck about ammo and don't feel like switching weapons for shooting the core. It does do decent damage, higher than a fully upgraded plasma cutter.

LiK

ultron87 said:
I still miss the Pulse Rifle's old secondary "OH SHIT!" button. Mostly because it was ridiculous.
Yea, the nade launcher was pretty disappointing compared to the DS1 turret gun. Loved it!

Mako_Drug said:
Kinda sounds like Dead Space just without a bread crumb trail and a new list of errands being handed to you all the time. Which sounds pretty frikin awesome.

scitek

Mako_Drug said:

Dead Space Prime

Haeleos

Mako_Drug said:

I was thinking about this the other day but in the sense of retaining the third person gameplay. The only thing I couldn't see working that well is the combination of scares/tension and the backtracking/non-linear progression... but I think this would be a great way to do the third game and not let the series stagnate.

dralla

It seems I am the only one who uses the detonator. Maybe people don't realize that you can shoot them on walls and create a wall of death. It's great for covering your blind spots or any time you get to an area where there are multiple spots the Necros are coming from.

I also really like the flame thrower, it's great for smaller enemies and ejecting the tank at groups of larger enemies is great, plus the fire effects look amazing.

I'm starting to use the Javelin gun more and like it as well. It one hit kills the smaller annoying enemies, like the ones who sit on walls throwing projectiles at you.

I still need to use the Ripper, Contact, Force and Seeker. The only one that seems worthless to me is the Seeker, I don't see a lot of situations were it would be useful.

LiK

Contact is great. Make them blow up and the alt fire is a good knockback/kill weapon when you're surrounded.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
omg all this talk about weapons, I'm drooling at the prospect of ng+ runs with new weapons only.

Lostconfused said:
Kinda sounds like Dead Space just without a bread crumb trail and a new list of errands being handed to you all the time. Which sounds pretty frikin awesome.
I actually love the way the bread crumb trail works now (the ability to track to save points/stores/benches is awesome) and wouldn't mind it in a Metroidvania sort of structure - maybe combine it with an overall map and the ability to set a destination point so it wouldn't just be leading you on but would actually let you set your own objective and just have a simple map to get there. That'd be pretty handy, I think, without feeling too 'directed.' Handled right, I think you could get all of the scripted goodness of Dead Space 1/2 but with a much greater feeling of freedom. It'd be awesome when you reach the point in the game where black Necromorphs show up and suddenly they'd be all over the areas you had already 'cleared.'

The biggest issue, really, would be game balance and weapon economy. That's something that DS1/DS2 handle beautifully, and it's not nearly so simple in a Metroidvania where you don't know if your player has gone around and scrounged up all of the available powerups or not; you've essentially got to balance for the bare minimum amount of collection.

I love love love the idea of a Metroidvania Dead Space (and have wanted it ever since the first game, where the inability to take the tram around to previously visited areas made me very sad), but you've got to recognize that there'd be disadvantages to it.

gdt

Just got the Advanced Suit and am one node away from fully upgrading the Plasma Cutter.

This game is so boss.

gdt5016 said:
Just got the Advanced Suit and am one node away from fully upgrading the Plasma Cutter.

This game is so boss.

I was able to get the plasma cutter, rig and stasis completely upgraded on my first playthrough. Now I just need to finish 3 more weapons.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'd like the Metroid Dead Space to maintain the perspective like in Shadow Complex, but drop the whole firing into the backdrop. I'd prefer it be a side story as well. I think the Sprawl could work well with it too, show us another side of it.

Ruuppa

Finished the game on Hardcore last night, still pissed that you can't get all the extras on the PC version.

Hardcore was.. Hard. Went to chapter 6 for my first save on saturday with about 3 restarts from the beginning, and got my second save going at the beginning of chapter 9 on sunday. Solar Panel "lol u ded" sequence and the processing plant destroyed my nerves.. Still, managed to push forward to the savepoint just before chapter 14 started. Rush to the final boss was exhilarating and easy after the grueling ch6-ch9 run.

The Force Gun.. It was the one gun I found completely useless in my arsenal(Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle, Contact Beam). It took like 5-7 hits to kill even one black necromorph(Hardcore, on Survivalist it took a few less).. Good against the miniature facehuggers, though. Will try the Ripper and Flamer on my next run. Good times!

Edited because I can't read that well.

LiK

Ruuppa said:
Finished the game on Hardcore last night, still pissed that you can't get all the extras on the PC version.

Hardcore was.. Hard. Went to chapter 6 for my first save on saturday with about 3 restarts from the beginning, and got my second save going at the beginning of chapter 9 on sunday. Solar Panel "lol u ded" sequence and the processing plant destroyed my nerves.. Still, managed to push forward to the savepoint just before chapter 14 started. Rush to the final boss was exhilarating and easy after the grueling ch6-ch9 run.

Why is everyone complimenting the Force gun here? It was the one gun I found completely useless in my arsenal(Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle, Contact Beam). It took like 5-7 hits to kill even one black necromorph(Hardcore, on Survivalist to took a few less).. Good against the miniature facehuggers, though.
Force gun works great on Normal. :3

Frester

Is there any consensus/opinion on which suit would be best for a Hardcore playthrough? I beat it on normal last week, doing a NG+ on normal just to pick up random achievements I didn't get the first time through and then dropping that to do a NG+ on zealot, then planning on doing Hardcore. The advanced suit has the -50% to stasis recharge but the elite engineering has +15% to med packs.

Ruuppa

Frester said:
Is there any consensus/opinion on which suit would be best for a Hardcore playthrough? I beat it on normal last week, doing a NG+ on normal just to pick up random achievements I didn't get the first time through and then dropping that to do a NG+ on zealot, then planning on doing Hardcore. The advanced suit has the -50% to stasis recharge but the elite engineering has +15% to med packs.

You can't choose Hardcore for NG+ at all. So.. Your basic Engineering Suit is waiting for you.

Edit: Oh what balls. You can't choose NG+ for Hardcore even from a Hardcore clear save.

LiK

Ruuppa said:
You can't choose Hardcore for NG+ at all. So.. Your basic Engineering Suit is waiting for you.

Edit: Oh what balls. You can't choose NG+ for Hardcore even from a Hardcore clear save.

i liked that the devs did that. Hardcore means hardcore.

Frester

Ruuppa said:

Right, I knew that. So I guess there is no elite engineering suit in Hardcore? Guess my question was redundant then :p Still torn as to what weapon other than the plasma cutter to use though. For my first playthrough I used the plasma cutter, pulse rifle, seeker rifle, and line gun (although rarely used the line gun at all).

LiK

Frester said:
Right, I knew that. So I guess there is no elite engineering suit in Hardcore? Guess my question was redundant then :p Still torn as to what weapon other than the plasma cutter to use though. For my first playthrough I used the plasma cutter, pulse rifle, seeker rifle, and line gun (although rarely used the line gun at all).

i recommend the Line Gun, basically a giant cutter and the alt fire bomb is pretty great.

Corky said:
omg all this talk about weapons, I'm drooling at the prospect of ng+ runs with new weapons only.

I've decided I'm going to leave the '4 maxed weapons' trophy until the last possible instance because I want full and proper runs with every weapon. Although I feel kinda boring for going Plasma/Line/Pulse/Javelin on the first time through and I barely used the Javelin either.

BeeDog

Sorry if this has been asked, but what exactly does the iPhone game unlock in DS2? I purchased the game and registered it, but I didn't notice anything in DS2.

Ruuppa

I recommend taking the Pulse Gun for the ride. It's great for farming drops from the necromorph kids, who fall from 1-2 hits even un-upgraded, and with a burst of 3, they'll always drop goodies before having a chance to disappear.

Just remember to get extra ammo for all your guns by upgrading the Cap of empty guns instead of reloading them, same with upgrading your RIG's Health for saving medkits, but be careful with that. Hardcore won't forgive.

BeeDog said:
Sorry if this has been asked, but what exactly does the iPhone game unlock in DS2? I purchased the game and registered it, but I didn't notice anything in DS2.

I heard it unlocks the Riot Suit, which made no sense, because I don't have an iPhone, and I somehow unlocked the Riot Suit upon completing the game.

Ruuppa said:
I recommend taking the Pulse Gun for the ride. It's great for farming drops from the necromorph kids, who fall from 1-2 hits even un-upgraded, and with a burst of 3, they'll always drop goodies before having a chance to disappear.

It is fun mowing them down especially in
the church and the school gymnasium
and watching the loot fly out of them. Both those spots were great for restocking.

LiK

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I heard it unlocks the Riot Suit, which made no sense, because I don't have an iPhone, and I somehow unlocked the Riot Suit upon completing the game.

probably one of those early unlocks for your first playthrough which is lame if true.

Ruuppa

Die Squirrel Die said:
It is fun mowing them down especially in
the church and the school gymnasium
and watching the loot fly out of them. Both those spots were great for restocking.

And in the later parts, after upgrading the rifle to 175 cap, you can lay down a sustained fire when it gets too hectic to aim properly at limbs and what not. An absolute life-saver in the
Government Sector, just before fighting the Black Tank.

Top Bottom