• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

BeeDog

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I heard it unlocks the Riot Suit, which made no sense, because I don't have an iPhone, and I somehow unlocked the Riot Suit upon completing the game.

Oh... that's lame. Thanks!

Mako_Drug said:
Most unoriginal yet appealing idea evar? Dead Space done Mertoidvaina style. Like Shadow Complex but you know...with a Dead Space skin. It just seems like a natural fit with finding weapon schematics and upgrading your rig etc. Then you'd have a big ship like the Ishimura where you can explore and travel back to previous areas once you have the right equipment.

This would actually work pretty well since there's 3-4 suit functions (zero g thrusters, kinesis, stasis, oxygen supply) that work and you can make up the rest of the stuff by having Isaac fix generators, get power supplies, realign solar panels etc.

hermit7

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I don't know if this has been posted or not, but
apparently you can actually kill the Regenerator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSFUuvJOhsw

That is the last time that you see him anyways I think, so it is a little redundant.

Just finished. I went through the entire game on Survivalist but on the final portion I knocked it down. That was a retarded finale. All I had was the line gun (x1 ammo) and the cutter and after about 15 times retrying I knocked it down.

Will restart NG+ soon I think.

todahawk

Shoulda started on the next harder up from normal, I've never had so much extra ammo. I'm stocking my safe up like crazy and I'm only using the plasma cutter and force gun. I'm getting suprisingly efficient with the cutter, 1 horizontal shot for a leg and 1 vertical for an arm and the basic necros are down.

greenjerk said:
Shoulda started on the next harder up from normal, I've never had so much extra ammo. I'm stocking my safe up like crazy and I'm only using the plasma cutter and force gun. I'm getting suprisingly efficient with the cutter, 1 horizontal shot for a leg and 1 vertical for an arm and the basic necros are down.
let us know how you do in last 2 chapters

K' Dash

greenjerk said:

What chapter are you in?

Mudkips

Banned
Beat Zealot last night.
Only used plasma cutter.
Had 18 power nodes, about 90,000 credits, and a safe full of all the other ammo and shit I didn't use.

You can easily decode the alien writings on the walls and shit (and on the title screen). They don't seem to say much other than the typical flavor text. If you need a mapping and you don't want to do any thinking, just take screenshots while viewing the credits.

Is there a point to doing NG+?
I don't see extra unlocked doors so far (I believe in DS 1, NG+ resulted in everything being open).

If there's nothing special about NG+ besides a couple of new suits and items, I'm just going to fire up hardcore mode instead.

LiK

Patryn said:
What is up with the multitude of locked doors you come across? Do those ever get opened up?
They need Power nodes in your inventory to open. There are also a few rooms only opened if you have Ignition save.

Patryn said:
What is up with the multitude of locked doors you come across? Do those ever get opened up?

They are unlocked if you have a save of Ignition, you find both the hacker suit and hacker contact beam in them, as well as a random assortment of goodies

Patryn said:

Probably in the Severed DLC.

I hope not though, thought we might get to see some of the other areas of the Sprawl.

gdt

In Gov sector now, shit is getting hard now. Draining my ammo. Hopefully the loot keeps up!

razgriz417 said:
They are unlocked if you have a save of Ignition, you find both the hacker suit and hacker contact beam in them, as well as a random assortment of goodies

No way, not all of them. He's talking about regular locked doors, you're talking about Conduit Rooms I think.

Got through to chapter 4-5 on Zealot. Thinking of knocking it down after hearing all about the enhanceds later on in the game. I think I'd much rather see what I'm getting myself into, then going at Zealot in NG+ with an idea of what'll happen later on in the game.

MarshMellow96 said:
Got through to chapter 4-5 on Zealot. Thinking of knocking it down after hearing all about the enhanceds later on in the game. I think I'd much rather see what I'm getting myself into, then going at Zealot in NG+ with an idea of what'll happen later on in the game.
Don't listen to GAF regarding hard difficulties. If I hadn't listened to them, I'd be sitting on a completed Zealot run already. Smh.

LiK

MarshMellow96 said:
Yea, lower if you're having trouble and have fun. Some guys here are torturing themselves during their first playthrough. NG+ ftw

CerberusE

Neo Member
Finished the game last night on Normal. Only used the plasma cutter and assault rifle and didn't find the difficulty to spike too much in the last few levels.

The ammount of monsters went up but I thought the point of that section was to run and get to the marker as fast as possible, not kill everything. The final boss fight was decent and I was satisfied with the ending. Will do some multiplayer next before a NG+

gdt

I haven't really had too much trouble on my Survivalist run (first run), I'm just depleting my ammo a bit in these last few chapters. No biggie.

I just roll that way, I guess.

It's good if you have a team of people you know. Otherwise, don't bother because the fucktards pubbing are playing it like it's Call of Duty.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I don't know if this has been posted or not, but
apparently you can actually kill the Regenerator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSFUuvJOhsw

DAMMIT! I wish I had seen this like 13 hours ago when I beat the game. Running from that thing nearly gave me a heart attack! Way too much stress on my blood pressure, especially when you combine the chase with the other necromorphs. I have to say that I LOVED Dead Space 2. Huge fan of the first game ad the sequel did NOT disappoint! I'm on play-through two now having fun with the weapons, and milking achievements.

Patryn

gdt5016 said:
In Gov sector now, shit is getting hard now. Draining my ammo. Hopefully the loot keeps up!

No way, not all of them. He's talking about regular locked doors, you're talking about Conduit Rooms I think.

Yeah. I opened every power node door and had a completed Ignition save (FUCK THAT GAME), so I got all those. But there were still plenty of locked regular doors.

gdt5016 said:

Oops yea, you're right. I was thinking about the conduit rooms. You know now that I think about it, those conduit rooms really changed the difficulty of the games. I would have had more trouble early on if I didn't have the hacker suit, not to mention the free extra ammo, med kits, nodes, conductors etc. from the rooms. Also, I feel like the hacker contact beam really is a tad overpowered when maxed up lol

Patryn said:
Yeah. I opened every power node door and had a completed Ignition save (FUCK THAT GAME), so I got all those. But there were still plenty of locked regular doors.

O you meant the other random doors that were just plain locked throughout the game, forgot about those. It could be possible that they're for dlc like someone else said. EA did say that the first DLC will be with 2 different that is happening concurrently with Issac's story

Fuck yea, Rivet Gun. But it depletes so fast, can someone tell me if it's a good idea to use the Rivet Gun contineously, with ammo depletion in mind. Rather upgrade then go gung ho, then going gun ho in zealot mode so early.

Why For?

Banned
So does your NG+ playthrough have to be on the same difficulty?

I'm playing on casual now, so when I start new game plus, can that be the hardcore playthrough or does it have to be casual again?

LiK

Patryn said:
Don't even need to complete Ignition. I only played 3 minigames and still got the hacker stuff.

Why For? said:
So does your NG+ playthrough have to be on the same difficulty?

I'm playing on casual now, so when I start new game plus, can that be the hardcore playthrough or does it have to be casual again?
I haven't beaten it yet so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they let NG+ carry over to higher difficulties now. However, I believe hardcore mode starts you from square one every time. That's part of what makes it hardcore.

Ruuppa

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I haven't beaten it yet so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they let NG+ carry over to higher difficulties now. However, I believe hardcore mode starts you from square one every time. That's part of what makes it hardcore.

That, and only 3 checkpoints. Although I had 4 for some reason, because it didn't register the first one. Anyone else got this(PC)?

LiK

Why For? said:
Good news everyone

Dead Space 2 Tops UK charts

And holy fuck at the 360 version getting 56% of sales.

Dead Sapce was advertised as a PS3 game, got Extraction as a bonus and was only on one disc, and the 360 version still sold like a beast.

wow.
I think most guys like me who played DS1 on 360 wanted to continue the sequel on the 360. Got the save to unlock the bonuses in the sequel.

Why For? said:
Good news everyone

Dead Space 2 Tops UK charts

And holy fuck at the 360 version getting 56% of sales.

Dead Sapce was advertised as a PS3 game, got Extraction as a bonus and was only on one disc, and the 360 version still sold like a beast.

wow.
Holy fuck, 56%!??!! That's like, slightly more than half!

Seriously though, what are the installed user bases for each system in Europe? This is not that shocking. I think you overestimate the draw of the bonus content in the PS3 version.

ultron87

LiK said:
Don't even need to complete Ignition. I only played 3 minigames and still got the hacker stuff.

You can just skip the first cutscene, play the little race minigame, let it save, and then never play it again. It takes all of 5 minutes once you've downloaded it.

Why For?

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Is it really that big a deal?

Course not.

Just surprising. In the US, weren't Arkham Asylum sales really close thanks to the extras the PS3 version got? (or something like that?). The gap between the 2 isn't much at all in the UK compared to the US, so I honestly would have thought that Dead Space would be one of the games where the PS3 version would either match, or even outsell the 360 one.

I don't know if you saw the ads, but man, if you didn't know any better, you would have thought it was a PS3 exclusive.

GrotesqueBeauty said:

Seriously though, what are the installed user bases for each system in Europe? This is not that shocking. I think you overestimate the draw of the bonus content in the PS3 version.

Basically a free Wii game in HD that supports move? That's pretty significant. You're essentially getting 2 games for the price of one. Your 2 discs are 2 games on PS3, on 360 your 2 discs are 1 game.

LiK

ultron87 said:
You can just skip the first cutscene, play the little race minigame, let it save, and then never play it again. It takes all of 5 minutes once you've downloaded it.
I might just finish it later for cheevos.

I might still get the PS3 version for Extraction when I decide to buy Move.

todahawk

K' Dash said:
What chapter are you in?

I'm still somewhat early in, about 2-3 hours gameplay-wise... maybe i'll keep my mouth shut and see how bad it gets. I just remember being short on ammo almost all the time in DS1. i'm trying to keep spoiler free but now i remember some posts talking about the end being hard.

/don't get cocky kid

Patryn

LiK said:
I might just finish it later for cheevos.

I might still get the PS3 version for Extraction when I decide to buy Move.

It's a multi-branching path game, and fully half the achievements require you to take every branch. Which means multiple playthroughs.

Trust me: It's not worth it. I beat the thing once and I hated every minute.

GrotesqueBeauty said:

The PS3 only accounted for 40 percent (PC is the other 4 percent). When you compare 56 percent to 40 percent, it looks a bit bigger doesn't it?

And that number really does shock me. I thought I was one of the few who was getting it on 360 since they were pushing the PS3 version so hard (I had a completed DS1 360 save plus I prefer the 360's controller).

gdt

GODDAMN HOLY FUCK.

The difficulty just went through the roof! In an almost annoying way but not yet. It's fucking riveting just making it out of a room just by the skin of my teeth, with the
Regenerator
on my heels.

Can't take to much more of this though, very very low on ammo, especially for my non-Plasma Cutter weapons.

I'm almost at the end, I think.
Nicole just said "This is it, Issac" in the save/store/bench room after the Regenerator chase.

Top Bottom