• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Patryn said:
It's a multi-branching path game, and fully half the achievements require you to take every branch. Which means multiple playthroughs.

Trust me: It's not worth it. I beat the thing once and I hated every minute.

The PS3 only accounted for 40 percent (PC is the other 4 percent). When you compare 56 percent to 40 percent, it looks a bit bigger doesn't it?

And that number really does shock me. I thought I was one of the few who was getting it on 360 since they were pushing the PS3 version so hard (I had a completed DS1 360 save plus I prefer the 360's controller).

Maybe the emphasis on multiplayer made people want to play it on whichever network most of their friends are? Just a guess. For me it was the controller and the prior save for the first game and that I'd already played through Extraction on the Wii.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The game is outstanding.

Questions:

1)Can I sell gold semiconductor or it will be needed for somethin?
2)What weapon is better to acquire and upgrade? I currently own "machine gun" and default weapon. Or should I just buy them all?
3)How can you locate additional savepoints by "advanced radar" or something like this? I didn't find appropriate buttons on keyboard or 360 controller.
4)do you use telekinesis to spear motherfuckers? I tried to no effect.

Patryn

subversus said:
The game is outstanding.

Questions:

2)What weapon is better to acquire and upgrade? I currently own "machine gun" and default weapon. Or should I just buy them all?
3)How can you locate additional savepoints by "advanced radar" or something like this? I didn't find appropriate buttons on keyboard or 360 controller.

1. All the semiconductors exist only to be sold. Sell it now!

2. There's a lot of personal preference. It's possible to complete the game with only the plasma cutter. I, personally, swear by the Ripper as my main weapon. Other people use the Javelin and the Force Gun. It's really up to you, although it only makes sense to invest in four weapons, since that's the max you can carry at any one time.

3. You get the "advanced radar" after a certain point in the game. When you get it, hold the pathfinder button and use the D-pad to scroll between the options (Objective, Store, Bench, and Save Point)

4. Grab the item with telekinesis and then hit the standard weapon fire button (for the 360, that'd be LT) when you're aimed at the enemy. If the enemy is close enough to the wall, and trajectory is right, it'll impale them and stick them to it.

gdt

subversus said:
The game is outstanding.

Questions:

4)do you use telekinesis to spear motherfuckers? I tried to no effect.

Sell that stuff.

LINE. GUN. Then, later, Contact Beam.

Up D pad while using the radar.

Just do it.

subversus said:
The game is outstanding.

Questions:

Semiconductors of every variety (Bronze, Gold, Ruby and Platinum) are just for selling.

To locate savepoints, click in the Right Analogue Stick. Then press up or down on the D-Pad.

As for additional weapons, a lot of that is just down to preference. Except for the flamethrower, unless they've buffed it since DS1, it sucks.

Why For? said:
Basically a free Wii game in HD that supports move? That's pretty significant. You're essentially getting 2 games for the price of one. Your 2 discs are 2 games on PS3, on 360 your 2 discs are 1 game.
Like I said, I think you're overestimating the draw of it. First, assume that a decent amount of people who don't follow these things like GAF don't even know about the extra content- they just see the game on shelves and buy it. Then think of the overlap between Move owners (it's not that widely adopted) and Dead Space fans, and then the number of people who are actually going to give a shit about a one off like Extraction after plowing through something as meaty and refined as Dead Space 2. And for good measure further subdivide that by the number of fans who might have already picked it up for Wii. It's a nice extra to be sure, but probably not the sort that's going to dramatically push unit sales.

Patryn said:
The PS3 only accounted for 40 percent (PC is the other 4 percent). When you compare 56 percent to 40 percent, it looks a bit bigger doesn't it?

And that number really does shock me. I thought I was one of the few who was getting it on 360 since they were pushing the PS3 version so hard (I had a completed DS1 360 save plus I prefer the 360's controller).
A bit. But again the question becomes how large of a discrepancy is there between the user base of each system? If it's anything near proportional to the amount sold I don't see what's shocking about it.

Patryn

Die Squirrel Die said:
Semiconductors of every variety (Bronze, Gold, Ruby and Platinum) are just for selling.

To locate savepoints, click in the Right Analogue Stick. Then press up or down on the D-Pad.

As for additional weapons, a lot of that is just down to preference. Except for the flamethrower, unless they've buffed it since DS1, it sucks.

You forgot Diamond. 25,000, yay!

gdt

A goddamn towel just fell off my bed and I almost hit the roof :lol.

Goddamn I LOVE this game. These last few chapters have been delicious. I'm enjoying the supremely ramped up difficulty here near the end. Almost too much, but not quite.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Am I the only one who was baffled at the descriptions of the semi-conductors? Namely the bronze one which lavished with the description " extreeeeeemely rare " but it's the least worth of them all. Gold is like " valuable " and diamond is " rare " or something.

Flamethrowers good for the child looking enemies that rush you, haven't found much else its good on. Surprised to not see much love in this thread for the seeker rifle, probably used it the most in my first playthrough. Its really powerful with a few upgrades.

gdt

Air Zombie Meat said:
Flamethrowers good for the child looking enemies that rush you, haven't found much else its good on. Surprised to not see much love in this thread for the seeker rifle, probably used it the most in my first playthrough. Its really powerful with a few upgrades.

The Force Gun does kills everything the Flamethrower can, but better (kids, mini facehuggers, that's about it).

I keep an un upgraded FG just to deal with those annoyances.

gdt5016 said:
The Force Gun does kills everything the Flamethrower can, but better (kids, mini facehuggers, that's about it).

I keep an un upgraded FG just to deal with those annoyances.

Haven't really used the force gun much yet, but I did like it in the first game. Maybe I'll dust it off for my next playthrough. My first playthrough was basically Plasma Cutter, Line Gun and Seeker Rifle with the fourth slot either Ripper or Detonator.

Grisby

gdt5016 said:
Has GAF put together a consensus on the multi? Haven't even touched that yet.

I thought it got old pretty fast. There are only 5 maps with a few objectives that are strung out in different ways. Granted I have only played a few rounds and am at about level 8 or 9. But the progression isn't that great (a new suit color here and there, more damage for necromorphs) and there isn't that much choice in the necromorph selection, nor are they a lot of fun to play as.

It feels like a round of L4D versus, but without a lot of the skill or randomness that L4D can have. If Visceral includes a MP function in DS3 I think they should have a separate co-op campaign, maybe like Splinter Cell. Of course, not at the detraction of the SP experience.

The MP is fun to mess with, but after a few matches I felt like I had my fill.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
thanks for answers everybody

Also I don't trust this bitch on the radio at all.
"meet me in the church" my ass.... yeah.

Numpt3

I'm still early on in the game (chapter 4) so I haven't seen most of the awesomeness that you guys are talking about. But I have to say that there is nothing like getting jumped by a necromorph, putting him into stasis, taking his arm off with the cutter and then using it to pin him to a wall before he knows what's hit him.. so good. :)

Why For? said:
Basically a free Wii game in HD that supports move? That's pretty significant. You're essentially getting 2 games for the price of one. Your 2 discs are 2 games on PS3, on 360 your 2 discs are 1 game.
Hardly. Extraction sells for 15$ on PSN.

Has GAF put together a consensus on the multi? Haven't even touched that yet.

Fun for an hour or so, at most.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Hardly. Extraction sells for 15$ on PSN.

Erm, it's free if you buy the LE. (which is the only version available on the PS3), so you are essentially getting two games for the price of one.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
On the subject of UK chart position it should be noted that the stated split is based on 1 day's worth of sales at most. So I wouldn't read too much into it.

Air Zombie Meat said:

The Seeker Rifle is awesome-very powerful...

see5harp

Guess what? It wouldn't matter if Dead Space 2 was significantly better in performance on PS3. Get over it already. It's not going to change this generation with mainstream/high profile titles. I don't think Sony cares when their slice of the pie is a couple million.

Speedymanic said:
Erm, it's free if you buy the LE. (which is the only version available on the PS3), so you are essentially getting two games for the price of one.
You don't say? Being reductive is fine, but really you are getting a 15$ game with a 60$ one.

Air Zombie Meat said:
Hmm that's a shame. I'll have to use it a bit to get the achievement though.

Replicant

Can anyone please give me a detailed direction to the Conduit Room? I think I missed the door and there's no way I'm going to miss out on that Hacker suit after enduring the craptastic Ignition.

LOL

They're swarming in through the Medical Deck. At least you won't have to go through there.
Unexpected (something). Welcome to Medical Deck.

TheUsual

Gold Member
brandonh83 said:
LOL

They're swarming in through the Medical Deck. At least you won't have to go through there.
Unexpected (something). Welcome to Medical Deck.

Yeah...as soon as I heard that part, I knew it was going to happen. Was a good chuckle.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Replicant said:
Can anyone please give me a detailed direction to the Conduit Room? I think I missed the door and there's no way I'm going to miss out on that Hacker suit after enduring the craptastic Ignition.
There's about 4 of them scattered throughout the game. You can't miss them. They're all right along the main path and some of them don't even let you continue until you go in them. You also get the Hacker Contact Beam, which is just a free version of the Contact beam as well as some other really nice items.

Replicant

RoboPlato said:
There's about 4 of them scattered throughout the game. You can't miss them. They're all right along the main path and some of them don't even let you continue until you go in them. You also get the Hacker Contact Beam, which is just a free version of the Contact beam as well as some other really nice items.

So that means 4 rooms and each rooms has 1 item from Ignition, am I right? Do they open automatically or do they need Nodes?

Ricker

Just finished the game today...I have to admit,I switched to casual on a few occasions but still,great game,liked it a lot...the monsters that screech and hide behind cover,peeking their heads out from time to time,before they rush you where some of the greatest ennemies in a game in a while for me,good stuff.

Alucrid

Banned
LiK said:
I might just finish it later for cheevos.

I might still get the PS3 version for Extraction when I decide to buy Move.

You are now my mortal enemy for saying that word. Yes, play through it to get 100%.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Grisby said:
If Visceral includes a MP function in DS3 I think they should have a separate co-op campaign, maybe like Splinter Cell. Of course, not at the detraction of the SP experience.

The MP is fun to mess with, but after a few matches I felt like I had my fill.

Tried one MP session but got disconnected for some reason. I have to say I'd much prefer a co-op campaign than MP for Dead Space 3. I sort of wonder if that's one of the reasons that
Ellie
is such a large part of the game. Would be fun to have the option of playing through a separate co-op campaign with
her
in DS3, as long as we're not forced into using
her
in the main campaign, a la
RE5

gdt

Just beat the game, loved it. Also (as I said before) loved the feeling the last chapters gave me. Really tense.

Is there something at the end of the credits? Skipped out of them by mistake, but now I put them on from the "extras" menu.

Also, do I get something/an achievement for beating it on Survivalist? I only got the general beat-the-game achievement.

LiK

gdt5016 said:
Just beat the game, loved it. Also (as I said before) loved the feeling the last chapters gave me. Really tense.

Is there something at the end of the credits? Skipped out of them by mistake, but now I put them on from the "extras" menu.

Also, do I get something/an achievement for beating it on Survivalist? I only got the general beat-the-game achievement.
Yea, there's some after credits stuff. It's pretty cool.

ArjanN said:
I thought they could have made it a bit more obvious you're just supposed to run the last couple of chapters, especially since they've conditioned you to go slowly and murder/collect everything. Once you know you're supposed to run, the last couple of chapters are really easy.

On chapter 13 so far and the only area I could remember even being able to run was a section in the Lab. All the other bits was impossible to run. Playing on survivalist.

GlamFM said:
shame we won't see how it does in NPD between the two. At least UK is very close to the US we can have a good baseline.

Just beat Hard Core and unlocked the
Foam Gun
. Amazing game; better than the original in every single way. Just running through new game+ now and getting the achievement for dismembering 2500 limbs. Should be cake with my newest weapon, lol.

just started my 3rd playthrough-this time on Survialist-the fully upgraded Ripper saved my ass in that last level, and the fully upgraded Pulse Rifle made short work of
Nicole
. Now in this playthrough I plan on fully upgrading the Contact Beam, Detonator and Flamethrower-weapons I've never used. :)

JaxJag

Banned
LiK said:
Damn, guess I'll get it since I don't feel like buying Move for one game. Thanks.
That's exactly why I didn't buy the PS3 version, I'm not going to buy move.

And plus I played the original on my 360.

Got my 1000/1000 :D

Damn that was fast. I dismembered 200 limbs in like 10 minutes with the
Foam Gun
. Best gun ever.

This game would be a shoe-in for GotY if it weren't for MvC3. Visceral :bow

K' Dash

So guys, I'm doing a NG+ and I'd like to know how many NEW suits will I find, I've already got
Elite Engineer Suit and Elite Vintage Suite
, is there a Military Suit like DS1?

I'm chapter 10 btw, I'm just gonna do a second run, I have a BIG backlog.

iconoclast said:
Just beat Hard Core and unlocked the
Foam Gun
. Amazing game; better than the original in every single way. Just running through new game+ now and getting the achievement for dismembering 2500 limbs. Should be cake with my newest weapon, lol.

Have you got any recommended save spots for hardcore?

Truant

Someone should make a youtube video of the (CH10 spoilers)
Welcome to the medical deck. OH CRAP
moment in the tram.

Baloonatic said:
Have you got any recommended save spots for hardcore?

My saves were on chapter 10 (at the start), 13 (after the ride), and 14 (in the room with the store and upgrade station). I think the game's fairly easy until the black necros start coming, so I didn't bother saving until they were appearing regularly. But I'd recommend keeping at least two saves for the last two chapters. Shit gets hectic.

The plasma cutter and the force gun were the only two weapons I used, by the way.

Top Bottom