• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

codecow

Air Zombie Meat said:
Flamethrowers good for the child looking enemies that rush you, haven't found much else its good on. Surprised to not see much love in this thread for the seeker rifle, probably used it the most in my first playthrough. Its really powerful with a few upgrades.

Not a lot of people know this but the Seeker rifle has some unique properties in Multiplayer. The aiming laser when viewed by another player only extends out a few feet and the flashlight corona is not visible on their machines.

mjc

Jesus fucking Christ.

I'm in Chapter
13 and I just got past the laser/marker part. Now I'm in the multi-leveled red room after it and I can't make it any further. I can't go back to the store to buy anything because the lasers are blocking my way.
I'm about to break something if I can't make any progress. I'm playing on survivalist btw.

mjc said:
Jesus fucking Christ.

I'm in Chapter
13 and I just got past the laser/marker part. Now I'm in the multi-leveled red room after it and I can't make it any further. I can't go back to the store to buy anything because the lasers are blocking my way.
I'm about to break something if I can't make any progress. I'm playing on survivalist btw.

Just run. Use stasis when you have to, and shoot the legs off things to slow them down. Don't waste time killing everything.

Anyway, I just finished. It's a fantastic game overall, but the last few chapters were really poor and brought the game down several notches. All creativity went out the window in favour of just throwing an endless amount of necromorphs at you. And then to cap it all off, the final boss is just lame.

The game really should have ended soon after chapter 10, especially seeing as that was a really awesome one.

I prefer Dead Space 1 (even if I disregard the last few chapters of DS2), as it was infinitely more atmospheric than Dead Space 2. I was genuinely tense pretty much all throughout DS1, whereas it was rare I found myself on edge in DS2. I think there's a few reasons for that:

1) DS1 got the lighting (or lack of it, to be precise) just right. You're in brightly lit areas for most of DS2.

2) The feeling of isolation was a lot more prevalent in DS1. For the most part, you were all alone on a huge space station. There were only a couple of other survivors, and it's rare you met them face to face; most communication was done over video. Whereas in Dead Space 2, you're constantly reminded that there are plenty of other people on Titan. And you actually meet other characters face-to-face fairly often.

3) The Ishimura felt more like a real place. Because each chapter was divided into different sections of the ship, and each section had you backtracking a bit, it felt like you were exploring an actual place rather than just following a preset path, as you do throughout the entirety of DS2.

4) The story was a billion times better in DS1. You slowly learned what had happened, and the audio/video/text logs revealed more and more about the fall of the Ishimura and it's crew. And while your underlying goal is to escape, each chapter had you doing different objectives in order to accomplish that (repairing things, fetching necessary items, etc). In DS2, your only real objective is to
find the marker and destroy it
, and you do that by simply traversing Titan. The audio/video/text logs felt somewhat disconnected, as they didn't really explain much in regards to Titan's downfall.

For these reasons, and because DS2 makes a point of always throwing something new at you (until chapter 11 or so), I definitely think DS2 can only be called an action game, and not a horror game. Going from DS1 to DS2 reminds me of going from the old Resident Evil games to RE4. The engine might be the same in the case of DS1 and 2, but the tones are nothing alike, and makes them feel like completely different games.

That means however, that while I prefer DS1, DS2 shines in it's own way. I still loved it, but just for different reasons.

Zeliard

Is it just me or are there far fewer node-locked doors relative to the first game? I always make it a habit in both games to save one node for those doors (and the game even tells you to this time), but it's very rare I come across them in DS2. I explore as well. Much like in the first game, I go every which way but where the blue line is pointing until I've exhausted the surrounding areas (blue line is quite useful for its opposite intended purpose).

Zeliard said:
Is it just me or are there far fewer node-locked doors relative to the first game? I always make it a habit in both games to save one node for those doors (and the game even tells you to this time), but it's very rare I come across them in DS2. I explore as well. Much like in the first game, I go every which way but where the blue line is pointing until I've exhausted the surrounding areas (blue line is quite useful for its opposite intended purpose).

They felt much rarer. In DS1 it seemed like there was at least one per chapter, sometimes more and I'm sure there were occasions where even keeping to the 'always keep a node on you' rule I would stumble on another door before I'd found another node and would have to backtrack to a store to buy one. It's something I wish was carried over into NG+ as well, restock the room but keep the door unlocked. I know I probably shouldn't complain about NG+ this time because they did at least lets us carry equipment over into higher difficulties, but it still didn't feel quite there as a fully thought out feature. Also picking up schematics for things you've already unlocked felt sloppy.

Also I too used the blue line to figure out which way not to go at a junction to make sure I went down every path.

Zeliard

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Sorta related to Dead Space, Jim Sterling rails against those who decry game length versus game value:

http://www.destructoid.com/oh-no-sixty-dollars-for-eight-hours-just-shut-up-192908.phtml

I thought it was a good read.

The notion of "game length" has always been silly for the simple, obvious fact that people play games at their own pace. It's an interactive medium. You're not sitting down and watching a movie that has its own set time, where the difference it takes two people to watch it will boil down to bathroom breaks; in games, the player is the one controlling the time.

It's literally meaningless to me for someone to say that such and such game is 10 hours long, or 50 hours long. That people base their purchases on such estimates is hilarious. It's at its worst when it comes to RPGs, where the amount of time different people spend before (and if) they reach the end-game varies enormously.

Die Squirrel Die said:
They felt much rarer. In DS1 it seemed like there was at least one per chapter, sometimes more and I'm sure there were occasions where even keeping to the 'always keep a node on you' rule I would stumble on another door before I'd found another node and would have to backtrack to a store to buy one.

It pretty much was that frequent in Dead Space 1. I was always opening up those locked doors, and yep, there were definitely times when I actually got to another locked door and didn't even have any nodes on me. That hasn't been the case at all in DS2. I'm pretty sure I didn't see more than like 3 node-locked doors in the first 10 chapters.

Zeliard said:

I do the same as you and I felt the same. It seems like there are less node doors. Also...it seemed to me that there was always a node close by either just before, or just afterwards to help offset the use of a node.

Don't know yet if I'm a fan of the whole random contents in the node rooms. I got fucked hard in one...although last night I racked up well over 15K in credits from one.

Crap shoot it is...

Patryn

bigdaddygamebot said:
I do the same as you and I felt the same. It seems like there are less node doors. Also...it seemed to me that there was always a node close by either just before, or just afterwards to help offset the use of a node.

Don't know yet if I'm a fan of the whole random contents in the node rooms. I got fucked hard in one...although last night I racked up well over 15K in credits from one.

Crap shoot it is...

The sheer amount of nodes IN a node room was ridiculous. It's like... isn't it supposed to be a choice between the value of a node vs. the supplies in the room?

In DS2 I felt more like, well, of course I'm going to use a node, because there's going to be another one in the room!

Patryn said:
The sheer amount of nodes IN a node room was ridiculous. It's like... isn't it supposed to be a choice between the value of a node vs. the supplies in the room?

In DS2 I felt more like, well, of course I'm going to use a node, because there's going to be another one in the room!

Yep...on my second run, I'm going into every room because chances are it'll be replaced quickly.

Patryn said:

well the choice in Dead Space 2 is 'do i upgrade my gun NOW and get 150 free pulse rifle bullets, or do i save this last node i find for the next node room and cope with the paltry amount of ammunition i currently have'. it's still a choice... but not really a new one to me, i've always felt the node rooms were worth it.

there's definately more than three node rooms in the first ten chapters. i'd say it's more like six or seven.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Sorta related to Dead Space, Jim Sterling rails against those who decry game length versus game value:

http://www.destructoid.com/oh-no-sixty-dollars-for-eight-hours-just-shut-up-192908.phtml

I thought it was a good read.
the idea of 'hours = value' isn't a new one. i remember it being really bad in the late nineties. i even bought into it for a while. i railed against Max Payne for being so short, but in time i realised that it had been awesome start to finish, and that i ended up replaying it more than Star Trek Elite Force, which had been much longer, but horribly paced.

Grisby

Hhhhmmm just had another weird bug this time. Was on chapter 14,
after the 'poker'
, and a door seemed like it was taking too long to open. Around this time I also noticed two of my weapons were just gone. So, I decided to die against a monster and reload, however, I got an infinite loading screen. Not a freeze, but I know how long the game takes to load after a death and this was way too long.

A boot to the dashboard and relaunch of the game fixed all of this. Still, this along with my missing suit, which never came back :(, kinda sucked.

Edit- 360 btw

scitek

Man, the story in DS1 was so poorly told I don't know how anyone can prefer it over the second, to be honest. They're both cliche as shit, but at least the second has a main character in it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dreamer3kx said:
Just passed the
huge drill part
, how much more, Im ready to finish this bad boy.
Few more chapters but they're tough. Probably a little over an hour.

My PS3 just died so I can't continue with Extraction :(

Frester

Reasonably sure that the necromorphs with the two arms and a tail are the worst in the entire game. Except for maybe
the Regenerator, which didn't seem like it was going to make an appearance until the very end

X26

Banned
Frester said:
Reasonably sure that the necromorphs with the two arms and a tail are the worst in the entire game. Except for maybe
the Regenerator, which didn't seem like it was going to make an appearance until the very end

that they are

although cyst's are pretty annoying too when they'e hidden and you run right into one

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
End game spoiler:

I can't kill the final boss no matter what I try. I must have put in at least 20 attempts at this point. My loadout is flamethrower, line gun, welder and cutter. I start off by using the cutter on the woman, then shoot 4 line gun rounds into the heart. Then I run to an edge, using the flame thrower to kill off the children, then back myself into a corner and flame thrower the horde of children. Then I use the cutter again on the woman, then get about 2 line gun shots into the heart. After this, not matter what I do, I end up dying. I run around avoiding the kids and grab all the health I can, use it, but inevitably I'll get the "children jumping on you" death animation. Even when I use freeze on them and roast them all with the flame thrower, it seems like one gets through and I get the animation. So frustrating.

X26

Banned
FlyinJ said:
End game spoiler:

I can't kill the final boss no matter what I try. I must have put in at least 20 attempts at this point. My loadout is flamethrower, line gun, welder and cutter. I start off by using the cutter on the woman, then shoot 4 line gun rounds into the heart. Then I run to an edge, using the flame thrower to kill off the children, then back myself into a corner and flame thrower the horde of children. Then I use the cutter again on the woman, then get about 2 line gun shots into the heart. After this, not matter what I do, I end up dying. I run around avoiding the kids and grab all the health I can, use it, but inevitably I'll get the "children jumping on you" death animation. Even when I use freeze on them and roast them all with the flame thrower, it seems like one gets through and I get the animation. So frustrating.

Have you tried using the line gun's alt for crowd control (and running around until it triggers) and the plasma cutter for the other two things?

and by welder do you mean the rivet gun?

beating last boss in 1 minute or so:
max out contact beam secondary fire, max out pulse rifle secondary fire, have plenty of ammo for both and lots of health. When Nicole is walking towards you Charge CB primary fire straight away and shoot and charge until marker heart shows. Charge CB primary fire at heart until Nicole appears again. Change to Pulse Rifle secondary and blast her until marker appears again. Repeat CB primary charge at heart then repeat Pulse rifle when Nicole appears again and so on. . . you can use the CB secondary attack if you want when the bratz appear. No need to even move just stay in one spot rinse and repeat.

Chiggs

Gold Member
scitek said:
Man, the story in DS1 was so poorly told I don't know how anyone can prefer it over the second, to be honest. They're both cliche as shit, but at least the second has a main character in it.

I disagree. Dead Space 1 had a minimalist story, but in a lot of ways that's what made it work. It was unsettling and not knowing what the hell was going on was made it even more so.

Having Isaac transition into a talking character was a good move, though.

conman

Chiggs said:
Dead Space 1 had a minimalist story, but in a lot of ways that's what made it work. It was unsettling and not knowing what the hell was going on was made it even more so.
Agreed. Part of what makes the story in DS2 such a mess is that it tries to do too much and can't figure out what the hell it wants to be about. There's nothing coherent other than "get the hell outta there, Isaac!"

But the real sell in the story of DS1 was the political/religious feud going on in the background. In DS2, they try to revive that same storyline, but it drops off a cliff after the first big "twist" in the first third of the game. After that, it just turns into a series of loosely connected action vignettes.

scitek

Chiggs said:
I disagree. Dead Space 1 had a minimalist story, but in a lot of ways that's what made it work. It was unsettling and not knowing what the hell was going on was made it even more so.

See, all I could think while playing DS1 was that it a) wasn't scary, and b) wasn't interesting. The only reason I like it is because it takes what made RE4 so much fun, the mechanics, and improves upon them to deliver a really fun shooter. I don't find anything in the DS universe to be scary or unsettling except the last three chapter of 2 when it almost falls completely apart.

ultron87

Damn, this game really stops messing around once you get to
the Ishimura.

This section has made me really happy I'm playing on Survivalist. Scrounging for ammo in the middle of a fight really ratchets up the suspense.

Not sure how I feel about the last few chapters I've been through. I'm still early enough to where it could redeem itself, however.

dralla

FlyinJ said:
End game spoiler:

ignore the demon babies. use stasis on nicole, hit her with the flame thrower until the marker "opens up", shoot it with p cutter/line gun, rinse and repeat

FlyinJ said:
End game spoiler:

By the end of it I was so fueled up that I tried bashing Nicole's head with whatever weapon I had which led to an instant death.

CadetMahoney said:
beating last boss in 1 minute or so:
max out contact beam secondary fire, max out pulse rifle secondary fire, have plenty of ammo for both and lots of health. When Nicole is walking towards you Charge CB primary fire straight away and shoot and charge until marker heart shows. Charge CB primary fire at heart until Nicole appears again. Change to Pulse Rifle secondary and blast her until marker appears again. Repeat CB primary charge at heart then repeat Pulse rifle when Nicole appears again and so on. . . you can use the CB secondary attack if you want when the bratz appear. No need to even move just stay in one spot rinse and repeat.
This is how I managed.

Ryn

Just beat the game.

Holy shit that final boss was FRUSTRATING. I was either accidentally crashing into Nicole, or totally ran out of health items and got bombarded by those annoying little ghost children. My roommate eventually helped me figure out the strategy where you just use the secondary shot (timed mines) with the line gun on Nicole/mob of children [aim at the ground behind you, close to nicole/mob and book it], then shoot again using the timed mines of the line gun on the artifact, whip out plasma cutter and let er rip, rinse and repeat.

I also only ever had the Plasma Cutter and the Line Gun throughout the entire game. For the first one it was the same, except I picked up the Contact Beam for shits.

Overall, definitely an excellent game, I think I liked it better than the first one. Though after only playing and beating the first one a couple days ago, I think that desensitized me from all the scary/tense stuff in the 2nd one. Ah well, still was worth it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is the
Operation!
trophy just story based or do you have to do something special? I didn't unlock it and I'm into Chapter 14. I know I missed out on
Elevator Action and Hornet's Nest (don't even know when/where this was...)
but I guess I'm not sure what the other one is about either.

seady

How to get more nodes in this game?
It seems like they are super rare to find, and super expensive to buy.

Even when I devoted all my nodes on one single weapons it barely filled up half the slots (at the bench).

Gribbix

seady said:
How to get more nodes in this game?
It seems like they are super rare to find, and super expensive to buy.

Even when I devoted all my nodes on one single weapons it barely filled up half the slots (at the bench).
If you need credits, you should carry the contact beam weapon. Don't use it. Just keep it on you so you can collect its ammo which can be sold for 1000 credits per unit. Also, nodes cost 9000 credits if you're wearing the vintage suit (normally, they go for 10,000 credits).

zlatko

Banned
For anyone who had trouble with the final boss, here's a few hints:

When it starts, use your crappiest weapon on Nicole. I picked the Ripper, because it won't really help you with the marker you have to shoot at. It takes 1-2 ripper blades on primary fire to make the marker open up the juicy inside. Unload plasma cutter/line gun---whichever is maxed out/has the most damage nodes on it. I had a maxed out Plasma cutter which works wonders on it. I could unload almost a full clip before it closes back up.

This is the hard part. Dark run baby shadows will come out. Probably 20 or so, and they never endingly spawn. Naturally you want to ignore/avoid them. If you have a TON of health items, then you can just focus on Nicole and blast her until it opens up again, and then unload. However, I had the Pusle Rifle on me with a ton of spare ammo. So what I did was run around in a full circle hugging the outsides. The babies will be too slow to catch up, and Nicole will end up behind you anytime you whip a 180. I used the alternate fire on the Pusle Rifle to insta kill splash damage all the babies around her, inflict like 1/3d of her health in damage, and then just unload shots from the Prifle into her, until the marker opens up again. Swap to your Pcutter/line gun and unload. Once it closes up, start running around in a full circle again. Reload weapons, pick up ammo from where the babies left it, and then do the same again with a blast radius shot, unload on her, then unload on marker. It took me a few tries to beat this boss, but that was the safest/easiest method I found to winning. I played on Zealot too, so I was basically a 1 hit/2 hit kill for anything the whole game. I was really low on health items too, and my line gun capacity wasn't upgraded so it didn't get much use on the final boss. Just mix it up to see what works for you depending on what weapons you used, but just keep in mind the babies can never hurt you as long as you hug the outer edges and keep running. The second you stop is when you have a 2-3 second window for them to pounce, so make it count.

Hope that helps someone.

Papa

Banned
As awesome as the game is, fuck this shitty fucking final boss. I just want the game to end but no, I have to go through this shit. The children are the same colour as the background, making them ridiculously hard to see. The sounds are incredibly grating. I have fuck all ammo because the lead up to this fight is so hard. I only have 2 weapons - the cutter and the javelin. I have 8 cutter ammo and 0 javelin ammo. Oh, and I'm playing on zealot. Fuck this fight.

Chiggs

Gold Member
brandonh83 said:
Not sure how I feel about the last few chapters I've been through. I'm still early enough to where it could redeem itself, however.

I'm at Chapter 4 and the game is just failing to scare me. The atmosphere from the first is gone. I'm playing it at night with my home theater system cranked and it's just falling flat.

Oh, and whoever decided that the necro-baby QTE needed to be nearly ten seconds long each time can kiss my ass.

Numpt3

I've just got to the
basilica in the church. I can hear something nasty moving around, oh god I don't want to go down there.
lol

zlatko

Banned
matt404au said:
As awesome as the game is, fuck this shitty fucking final boss. I just want the game to end but no, I have to go through this shit. The children are the same colour as the background, making them ridiculously hard to see. The sounds are incredibly grating. I have fuck all ammo because the lead up to this fight is so hard. I only have 2 weapons - the cutter and the javelin. I have 8 cutter ammo and 0 javelin ammo. Oh, and I'm playing on zealot. Fuck this fight.

Why do you only have 2 weapons? You're pretty much screwed with only 8 shots. Go back to farther back save and prepare better before pressing forward. I knew the final boss was coming just by lots of videogame over time experience. I just know whenever the game puts you in a room with a store, a bench, and a save, that something hard is coming up. Take that into account and remembering how many chapters DS1 was, I kinda peaced together I should buy a ton of ammo and a ton of health for whatever is up ahead. Plus, as a general habit in games I always alternate between 2 saves, so I never get stuck.

zlatko said:
Why do you only have 2 weapons? You're pretty much screwed with only 8 shots. Go back to farther back save and prepare better before pressing forward. I knew the final boss was coming just by lots of videogame over time experience. I just know whenever the game puts you in a room with a store, a bench, and a save, that something hard is coming up. Take that into account and remembering how many chapters DS1 was, I kinda peaced together I should buy a ton of ammo and a ton of health for whatever is up ahead. Plus, as a general habit in games I always alternate between 2 saves, so I never get stuck.

Not to mention,
Nicole appears and tells you that the end is just ahead, while you're in a room with a save point, store, and workbench. I filled my entire inventory with large/medium healthkits, plasma cutter ammo (that was the only weapon I used throughout the entire game), and stasis refills.

Chiggs said:
I'm at Chapter 4 and the game is just failing to scare me. The atmosphere from the first is gone. I'm playing it at night with my home theater system cranked and it's just falling flat.

Oh, and whoever decided that the necro-baby QTE needed to be nearly ten seconds long each time can kiss my ass.

I was playing with a Turtle Beach headset, which should have made the game super scary (it certainly did on my recent fourth playthrough of Dead Space 1, even though I knew almost everything in advance), but there were still only a few points where I actually felt tense. Unsurprisingly, the scariest part of the game for me was Chapter 10 (
the Ishimura
).

zlatko

Banned
@Ben2749. That was the most tense/atmospheric part of the game for me too was chapter 10.

I also liked the ending area where,
that necromorph that won't die chases you non stop as you fight tooth and nail room from room taking more and more necro baddies. Wasn't necessarily scary, but it was really a tense moment of "oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck," and I felt was really well put together. I know one part of that sequence has you waiting for an elevator, and the damn thing caught up, and it was at this point I was thankful for the ripper even more. Seriously the Ripper DESTROYS the black skin necro baddies like they are no issue, and he was no exception.

Scotch

Finished the game last night, and I'm not quite sure yet if I prefer it over DS1 but it's close.

* I prefer the Sprawl over the Ishimura. It was a bit more diverse, I guess? It doesn't have as many narrow hallways as the Ishimura (makes sense, since it's a ship). The lack of backtracking can be seen as a negative or positive, but personally I liked it because I loved exploring the place, and there's always something new to see. I agree with the poster that said the Ishimura felt more like a real place, though.

* Chapter transitioning was handled way better. The thing in DS1 that got kinda old was stepping out of the tram, fixing some stuff somewhere, being told over the radio that something else needs fixing now and getting on the tram again. DS2's chapters don't feel as artificial.

* I prefer DS1's story, it's more focused and more mysterious. All the marker stuff in DS2 got kinda silly in the end, frankly.

* I found the game less scary overall but that may also be because I knew what to expect in terms of scares. Also you don't feel as isolated as in the first game.

* The voice acting was fantastic (just like DS1). I was wary of them giving Isaac a voice, but it worked out really well. It actually got me thinking that maybe, just maybe, it's time Gordon Freeman started speaking up.

Anyway, loved the game to bits.

FlyinJ said:
End game spoiler:

I had quite a bit of trouble with the final boss, but in the end it was actually not that hard. (survivalist)

Use the Line Gun's alt fire near Nicole and put her in stasis so she stays in place. This will kill her instantly. If there's any babies near Nicole when you use stasis they'll freeze as well which is a plus. Avoid the babies as much as you can and shoot them with the line gun when they bunch up together if needed. I used the remote detonator on the heart, which killed it after three segments. I think the line gun is also pretty effective but you'll need the ammo for Nicole. I didn't use the flamethrower or cutter on the boss so I don't know how well those do.

LiK

Chiggs said:

Agree with this totally.

Top Bottom