• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Hixx

Fucking baby necromorph alien things, why do you hate me so!

Long time since I felt so satisfied in killing things in a game, I'm glad I'm the only one in the house!!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
fizzelopeguss said:
I like how i'm using practically the same guns i did in Dead Space 1
Plasma cutter-only run baby. I blame the weapon designers for making the default weapon damn near perfect.

On my second playthough I have really been digging the Seeker rifle, you should check it out.

LiK

fizzelopeguss said:
I hardly used the plasma cutter in DS2. The alt fire for all the other weapons are much improved so I find them more useful and fun to use.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stallion Free said:
Plasma cutter-only run baby. I blame the weapon designers for making the default weapon damn near perfect.
I think it is kind of necessary in a game like this to have at least one weapon that's useful in most situations but, yeah, the plasma cutter is the best thing in the vast majority of situations.

Dyno

Here's my final boss strategy:

When the children rush I used the Force Gun and they never got near me. Their small enough for it to blow them away. Nicole gets pushed back as well so she's taking a bit of damage and keeping her distance even if you're not aiming for her.

Once Nicole is more or less alone then I pulled out my nicely upgraded Contact Beam and hit her once. That was enough. When the marker opens you can get two shots with the Contact Beam. The marker was dead on the second time it opened. Four shots total. Was not all that hard though I did mess it up once and got to see the Nicole death. Nice!

Really enjoyed the game and they did the New Game+ right so now you can take your stuff and play again on a higher difficulty. I don't think comparing the two is necessary because very little had changed. They just fine tuned the gameplay and then gave us more Dead Space! There were still plenty of scary and uncomfortable moments. Story-wise I think I'll need another playthrough to get all of what was going on.

Final Chapter Spoilers:

The last chapter was very nerve-wracking and quite difficult. I didn't really like it while playing but after the fact I appreciated it from the horror standpoint. Perhaps players get use to checking every nook and cranny for treasure and it's just not possible when you're being chased. I did like that Nemisis-type character and I don't believe you got to kill him. Who knows?

BeeDog

Damn, why didn't anyone tell me the Seeker Rifle is great? :p It feels awesome slowing an enemy down, popping a zoomed-in headshot, ripping off the arm of the still-flying ragdoll and finally use it on another foe.

HixxSAFC said:
Fucking baby necromorph alien things, why do you hate me so!

Long time since I felt so satisfied in killing things in a game, I'm glad I'm the only one in the house!!

It's only on my new game+ that I discovered my maxed out force gun can blow a whole mob of them to pulp with just one shot. Feels so good.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Sorta related to Dead Space, Jim Sterling rails against those who decry game length versus game value:

http://www.destructoid.com/oh-no-sixty-dollars-for-eight-hours-just-shut-up-192908.phtml

I thought it was a good read.
Really? He makes some pretty bad arguments in there. It doesn't help that he's a reviewer who probably got the game from the publisher for free anyway.

Not that I don't think Dead Space 2 is worth $60, I definitely think it is. But that article is just poorly written altogether and is just typical of Sterling.

Stallion Free said:
I can't begin to express my disappointment that Visceral removed that achievement/trophy from DS2. :( I got to be a fucking surgeon with that thing in the first game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
badcrumble said:
I can't begin to express my disappointment that Visceral removed that achievement/trophy from DS2. :( I got to be a fucking surgeon with that thing in the first game.
"The one thing I don't like about the Plasma Cutter is that it's almost too good."

Question about the Plasma Cutter - does it do more damage if you line it up with a limb to hit it with all three targeting reticles, instead of setting it to cut across that limb in a perpendicular fashion? I tend to treat it that way because I've always assumed that this was the case, but maybe I've been wasting my time (it's made me fucking awesome at lining up shots, though).

datruth29

An actual challenge would be to complete the game without Plasma Cutter.....

I just started playing on New Game+, and I've found a really effective strategy is to knock off an arm, TK it, and impale the shit out of the fuckers.

datruth29 said:
An actual challenge would be to complete the game without Plasma Cutter.....

I just started playing on New Game+, and I've found a really effective strategy is to knock off an arm, TK it, and impale the shit out of the fuckers.
Yeah, fully powered-up Stasis and TK are a big big deal and save you tons of ammo.

When I do my Hardcore run, I'm going to be sure to use TK as much as possible when I'm only up against one or two enemies in order to help me save ammo.

BeeDog

badcrumble said:
Question about the Plasma Cutter - does it do more damage if you line it up with a limb to hit it with all three targeting reticles, instead of setting it to cut across that limb in a perpendicular fashion? I tend to treat it that way because I've always assumed that this was the case, but maybe I've been wasting my time (it's made me fucking awesome at lining up shots, though).

Actually, my experience is that slicing does more damage. I feel like I chew through more ammo if I DON'T cut off limbs.

Facism

Finished earlier today. Brilliant game. Didn't have any of the problems some have been having with monster's swarming in the later chapters. prudent use of stasis and kinesis tossing plus the ripper = easy times.

zlatko said:
@Ben2749. That was the most tense/atmospheric part of the game for me too was chapter 10.

I also liked the ending area where,
that necromorph that won't die chases you non stop as you fight tooth and nail room from room taking more and more necro baddies. Wasn't necessarily scary, but it was really a tense moment of "oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck," and I felt was really well put together. I know one part of that sequence has you waiting for an elevator, and the damn thing caught up, and it was at this point I was thankful for the ripper even more. Seriously the Ripper DESTROYS the black skin necro baddies like they are no issue, and he was no exception.

The Ripper is just fucking devestating for those guys. The only issue it has is range-so if one of the Spitters comes up on you, you have to switch to a long range weapon ASAP-I haven't had much luck with the Ripper's Alt-Fire.

Alright me and my brother just started this last night.

2 things right off the bat.

1st the game is absolutely gorgeous. I can't believe how fantastic the lighting is in some scenes. Best looking game I have played since GOW3.

Secondly its so terrifying. Me and my brother screamed at least 3 times during the first chapter and I don't mean like a "Waaah ahh phew" where you catch your breath and smile after I mean a uncontrolable "AHHHHHHHH!!! *deep breath* AHHHHHHHH!!!" I went to bed jittery.

Bless Visceral Studios they have handily stolen a crown that I never believed would have left Capcoms head.

eshwaaz

Up to Chapter 7 now - this really is an extremely high-quality game. I don't have a very high tolerance for games of this nature, but I feel just empowered enough that I'm not getting too tense or frustrated.

Kills are so damn satisfying; other devs should take note of what Visceral has done in this series. It's not just the dismemberment and gore; it's the "feel" of each weapon and the brilliant sound design as well.

I can't get over how great this game looks. This is an in-house engine, correct? Definitely some incredible talent at Visceral; I can't wait to see what else they're capable of.

I'd ignored the Ripper in the first game, but praise for it here has motivated me to give it a try. Those annoying baby hordes just charge in to their deaths; I took out six with one blade. I'm definitely going to focus on upgrading.

I have been finding that it's harder to hoard ammo and health packs than it was in Dead Space 1. In the first game, if my inventory was full and I was in an area with a lot of pick-ups, I would go back to a store, drop off some of my items into storage, then go back and retrieve the other pick-ups. By the end of the game I had amassed a ton of ammo, health packs and stasis modules. In DS2, the stores are rarely conveniently placed for hoarding and I often find that I get "gated off" from the supply cache before I can get to one. Probably intentional on Visceral's part to a degree.

Dyno

fizzelopeguss said:

Yup, me too! Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, Contact Beam, Force Gun. They seem to compliment each other perfectly.

I tried the Javelin Gun and the Detonator and while not bad, they just didn't do it for me. The Pulse Rifle is effective but I use a weapon like that in every other shooter I play. The Ripper is fun, I might get to upgrading it in NG+.

dralla

does anyone have this problem, you get attacked by a swarm, you kill a guy with a weapon, you switch to another weapon and try to line up a shot but the weapon select wheel is in your way! fuuck

Numpt3

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better than
floating around in space staring down at the sprawl far below... you get to 'skydive' through a debris field back down to it. :D

I love this game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
1)How can I put my stuff into safe?
2)Should I upgrade my health or should I focus on stasis? Or may be air is more crucial later in the game?
3)At what limb of ramming necros should I shoot?

LiK

subversus said:
2)Should I upgrade my health or should I focus on stasis? Or may be air is more crucial later in the game?

1)click on your stuff in inventory and select move.
2)stasis, cuz stasis is a real life saver later in the game. balance out and put some into the rig if you have extra nodes.
3)always the legs

Grisby

subversus said:

1) In your inventory menu at the store select 'move', instead of sell.
2) Both are good. I did the suit first because it gives you a damage increase on impaling things, which saves ammo. You always seem to have a lot of air refills around when your in space so no need to worry about running out.
3) Legs. Stasis them or set up detonator mines.

ultron87

subversus said:

1) Store -> Inventory Menu -> Select Item -> Click Move.

2) I'm in chapter 10 and haven't come anywhere close to running out of air with no upgrades. Health is obviously useful but it costs a lot of nodes past the first upgrade.

3) I usually use the line gun on them and take their legs off.

Zeliard

Speaking of the air upgrades, when is there ever a need to get them? I ignored them completely in both games (actually, I mostly ignore the suit upgrades in general). They have to make it possible to get through those vacuum sections if you never upgraded your air, so it seems pretty pointless.

LiK

Zeliard said:
Speaking of the air upgrades, when is there ever a need to get them? I ignored them completely in both games (actually, I mostly ignore the suit upgrades in general). They have to make it possible to get through those sections if you never upgraded your air, so it seems pretty pointless.

less trips to the O2 refill stations during a few sections in the game if you upgraded air a few times. seems like the air is way more plentiful in DS2 than DS1...i think.

Stallion Free said:

On my second playthough I have really been digging the Seeker rifle, you should check it out.
I blame the game designers for not incentivising other weapons.

Luken

SPOILER !

How to Kill the Ubermorph !
Link

In the first game you could kill the regenerator with ice and fire, now you use the winds.

:D

the chris

Luken said:
SPOILER !

"http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/975303-dead-space-2/58004932"]How to Kill the Ubermorph !

In the first game you could kill the regenerator with ice and fire, now you use the winds.

:D

Can you change the first part of the spoiler hyperlink? You can still see the text that's tagged.

edit: Thanks

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
thanks again for quick answers.

Going into chapter 5. I think that's the demo chapter but I haven't played it further than freezers because it was too good to be spoiled.

Zeliard said:
Speaking of the air upgrades, when is there ever a need to get them? I ignored them completely in both games (actually, I mostly ignore the suit upgrades in general). They have to make it possible to get through those vacuum sections if you never upgraded your air, so it seems pretty pointless.
yep, air upgrades are pointless.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Holy shit.. the part in Chapter 6 where

I'm fucking exploring these apartments, ready to shit my pants. There's little kid shit everywhere and I'm scared as hell. Then that alarm clock goes off. That scared the shit out of me 0_0

Numpt3

K2Valor said:

I'm fucking exploring these apartments, ready to shit my pants. There's little kid shit everywhere and I'm scared as hell. Then that alarm clock goes off. That scared the shit out of me 0_0
Lol, that got me aswell.
I remember seeing it and thinking to myself 'I bet that's going to go off' and then it did and I still jumped. :p

LiK

K2Valor said:

c'mon, they're harmless children.
;)

Beat it this morning.

Basically the first, I don't know 7-9 chapters or so is this really great horror/action title, and then the rest is just the original Dead Space. Which means it's damn good, but it kind of loses some points for bringing the horror aspects to a complete halt.

The problem is that I just don't find blasting the same Necromorphs over and over again is all that fun. When it's mixed with awesome little sprinkles of creative horror, I can deal with it because it makes them a little more scary. But when you completely remove that aspect, you're just shooting shit.

Barakov

Beat it last night and enjoyed this one thoroughly. My only gripe is
the chase sequence the regenerator.
It's probably the one problem I have with the game. I felt it could of been a lot shorter. Although, I tend to kill everything that crosses my path and that wasn't helping. I really can't imagine what that's like on Hardcore.

J2d

I'm playing hardcore and twice now I've been killed by those bomb arm fuckers. Everything else is manageable but I always seem to fuck up those encounters. Wish I had my force gun..

Just finished the game... ending spoiler:
I laughed so hard in the ending when Issac was sitting in the ship like the ending of the first game touching the keyboard and relaxing and I was like ( oh no not again ) and start covering my face scared then he looks left and sees Ellie and she is like ( What ? )... LMAO XD

Ok now I have a question about the hardcore mode ... I know they will give me only 3 saves slot but what happened if i died? will be i restarted back to the checkpoint or all the way back till the last time I really did save?

Top Bottom