• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Gribbix

The Praiseworthy said:
Ok now I have a question about the hardcore mode ... I know they will give me only 3 saves slot but what happened if i died? will be i restarted back to the checkpoint or all the way back till the last time I really did save?
You'll restart at your last save. Checkpoints are disabled in hardcore mode.

Gribbix said:
You'll restart at your last save. Checkpoints are disabled in hardcore mode.

SH*******T!!!

This is madness :O

OMG why the hell did they do that! for? why making the Platinum more pain in the a** than already is!!!

oh no... what to do now ;_; ?

zlatko said:
@Ben2749. That was the most tense/atmospheric part of the game for me too was chapter 10.

I also liked the ending area where,
that necromorph that won't die chases you non stop as you fight tooth and nail room from room taking more and more necro baddies. Wasn't necessarily scary, but it was really a tense moment of "oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck," and I felt was really well put together. I know one part of that sequence has you waiting for an elevator, and the damn thing caught up, and it was at this point I was thankful for the ripper even more. Seriously the Ripper DESTROYS the black skin necro baddies like they are no issue, and he was no exception.
How exactly was that well put together? They put square room after room filled with a non-stop flood of enemies dropping from the ceiling onto you all the while an enemy you can't kill chases you. Real genius level design there. I love how the excuse to a terrible last 3 chapters has become: "You're NOT playing the game right!!! Use _____ weapon idiot!"

Sidzed2

DevelopmentArrested said:
How exactly was that well put together? They put square room after room filled with a non-stop flood of enemies dropping from the ceiling onto you all the while an enemy you can't kill chases you. Real genius level design there. I love how the excuse to a terrible last 3 chapters has become: "You're NOT playing the game right!!! Use _____ weapon idiot!"

The problem with the endgame sequences is that up until that point, the game has promoted or even necessitated killing everything in sight.

However, the prudent course to adopt in the endgame is clearly "STASIS, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, STASIS, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!" and I don't think the game adequately prepares or cues the player in. For example, if another NPC came on over the radio and told Isaac to "Run, don't stop running, you can't take them on!", people would get the idea and not become so frustrated.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Just finished the game. Quite easily one of my favorite games ever. In the end I was having a hard time until I realized that its just better to kill off everything necessary and just make a run for it. Funny though, the only part that seriously scared the crap out of me was Chapter 10 on the
Ishimura.

iirc it isn't the "last 2/3 chapters" that you have to run. . . the only scenario where you have to run is in certain sections of the Last chapter (as in the chapter before the boss). I could be wrong. But trying to run through certain segments in the Chapters before the last one is not possible.

----

Does anyone know of a CRT monitor that has built-in gamma settings? This game in multiplayer is so dark you can't see shit.

Playing on VGA on my crt monitor which only has brightness and contrast settings.

So I didn' think much of the Javelin at first, but now I've fully upgraded it, I have to say it's a nice little weapon with the Alt Fire, especially with the special attack, where the bolt explodes after eletrocution. Not so good up close, because the alt will hit Isaac as well, but if you've got a bit of space and aim well it's pretty devastating.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Is Hardcore Zealot (difficulty wise) + 3 saves? Or is it Survivalist + 3 saves? I've been hearing different opinions from different people..

Sidzed2 said:
The problem with the endgame sequences is that up until that point, the game has promoted or even necessitated killing everything in sight.

However, the prudent course to adopt in the endgame is clearly "STASIS, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, STASIS, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!" and I don't think the game adequately prepares or cues the player in. For example, if another NPC came on over the radio and told Isaac to "Run, don't stop running, you can't take them on!", people would get the idea and not become so frustrated.

the
regenerating necro
isn't enough of a hint?

Sidzed2

WickedLaharl said:
the
regenerating necro
isn't enough of a hint?

Imagine that you've never played DS1 before and don't understand the nature of the beast. I'm not saying it won't be obvious to a lot of people (hell, as soon as i saw that thing I just legged it), but some simple cues might get other players in the right state of mind (i.e. you are supposed to be overwhelmed and outmanned, just rrrruuuuunnn forrrr itttt).

Stackboy

Watched a video last night of a few of the different ways which you can die in the game. I can firmly say that I will never play this game, because it looks insanely creepy. Never thought I would say that.

Just completed my 1st playthrough, 8 hours 30 mins on survivalist. Loved every minute of it, i know many of you are saying the last few chapters were ridiculous with the gang bang of necromorphs, but i actually quite liked it, so close to the end yet so many things cock blocking me, low on ammo and making every shot count, forced into using those random spears hanging around and grabbing every bit of health available, was good shit :)

Chapter i think 10 was quite nice, glad that was included. Gotta love the
fake end credits starting up, nice little touch :p

Now i gotta try me some multiplayer......

Inanna said:
Is Hardcore Zealot (difficulty wise) + 3 saves? Or is it Survivalist + 3 saves? I've been hearing different opinions from different people..

It's survivalist difficulty with zealot item drops. It's nowhere near zealot difficulty. In zealot, you can get hit once and lose like 80% of your health. On Hard Core/Survivalist, you lose like two bars.

Hard Core is really not that hard. Only use the plasma cutter and force gun, spend your credits on nodes and ammo, and be smart about your upgrades and it's very doable.

mjc

So I have a question about something near the end of the game.
The regenerating necromorph. My friend says that it's an alien-based necromorph, do we know the story on it?

dralla

the fuck. either I am an idiot or I hit a bug that won't let me progress, chapter 13
the room right before the marker recontruction area, where you fight the raptor-like necros. you need a battery to open the door but there is none, anywhere. I've already beaten the game and don't remember getting stuck here. I thought it was supposed to be in that thing hanging from the ceiling but there's nothing there. I've tried re loading and it's still not there.

J2d

mjc said:
So I have a question about something near the end of the game.
The regenerating necromorph. My friend says that it's an alien-based necromorph, do we know the story on it?
This is all the wiki has on it.

Finished the game earlier tonight, overall I loved it. Way more action packed but just as creepy and scary as the first game.

Some stuff about the end
personally I found the boss fight to be pretty contrived. I wouldn't have minded it too much had I not had to redo the fight like 6 times, which was a pain in the arse considering how long it goes on for.

I did enjoy the fake-out ending though, I wasn't sure whether they were about to go with a super depressing and fairly ambiguous ending or if something was about to happen. Glad they ended with a little bit of a bang.

The after credits tease was great, honestly though I can't see them going anywhere else but Earth now, or at least an Earth like planet.

Oh and going back to the Ishimura was perfect, especially the constant whispering and the fact you don't encounter any enemies for the first 10 minutes or so. That had me incredibly tense the entire time.

One more thing, about the transition into Chaper 13.
Did anyone else find that very odd? Like it was incomplete? It's the only place I can think of where the game fades to black and Isaac just appears in the next area. It's like they didn't have time to do the whole crashing sequence so they just skipped it. It's not like they haven't shown they can do elaborate stuff like that, I found it kind of jarring.

dralla said:
the fuck. either I am an idiot or I hit a bug that won't let me progress, chapter 13
the room right before the marker recontruction area, where you fight the raptor-like necros. you need a battery to open the door but there is none, anywhere. I've already beaten the game and don't remember getting stuck here. I thought it was supposed to be in that thing hanging from the ceiling but there's nothing there. I've tried re loading and it's still not there.

If I remember right, I found the battery
hanging from the ceiling...

Zeliard

I'm going to repeat the obvious advice to those who keep getting overwhelmed by enemies: use the Force Gun, Luke. Its purpose is literally as the "get the fuck off me" weapon, which pretty much makes it the most useful weapon in the entire game (much like in the first one).

If you refuse to use other weapons but the Plasma Cutter and Line Gun and keep getting hounded, you have nobody to blame but yourself, since those weapons are utterly ineffective for any close-range combat against groups. The game gives you a wide choice in weaponry because all are useful in their own way. No sense in ignoring them just because the Plasma Cutter cuts off limbs real good - other stuff, it does pretty terribly.

scitek

Zeliard said:
I'm going to repeat the obvious advice to those who keep getting overwhelmed by enemies: use the Force Gun, Luke. Its purpose is literally as the "get the fuck off me" weapon, which pretty much makes it the most useful weapon in the entire game (much like in the first one).

If you refuse to use other weapons but the Plasma Cutter and Line Gun and keep getting hounded, you have nobody to blame but yourself, since those weapons are utterly ineffective for any close-range combat against groups. The game gives you a wide choice in weaponry because all are useful in their own way. No sense in ignoring them just because the Plasma Cutter cuts off limbs real good - other stuff, it does pretty terribly.

What if your name isn't Luke though?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ok how do I unlock the
Prototype Suit (or whatever it's called)?

I have completed the game on my first run at Zealot and got a notification about it. Now I have completed it again via New Game + and didn't find it.

Perhaps it's not available in NG+

I'm about to start my hardcore run. Will I find it there?

I found that if you sell your plasma gun before the ending the game on a first run, on new game+ when you visit the shop for the first time and get all your items back it's not available to buy anymore.

So your stuck in new game+ without PC for the rest of the game. Unless you revert back to the old save on the first run and complete the game without selling it.

Either that or i'm glitched.

Jerk

Banned
iconoclast said:
Hard Core is really not that hard. Only use the plasma cutter and force gun, spend your credits on nodes and ammo, and be smart about your upgrades and it's very doable.

This is word-for-word exactly how I Played Dead Space 1; glad to see that my play style carries over well.

scitek

I agree Hardcore isn't impossible, it's just I don't really have time to play through a lot of the shit in one sitting like it requires.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
scitek said:
I agree Hardcore isn't impossible, it's just I don't really have time to play through a lot of the shit in one sitting like it requires.

This is the main detractment for me. I was playing earlier on new game+ and stopped at chapter 3, only about an hour in which was enough for me. If I do hardcore it seems like the earliest you should save is around chapter 8.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Well, I just beat the game. Quite frankly, Dead Space 1 has a superior story (and atmosphere). I didn't initially mind that Isaac became a speaking character, but the absolute non-sensical development between him and his dead girlfriend becomes so nauseating, culminating in a completely awful "therapy" moment at the end of chapter 11, that I really wish they had included a "skip scene" option.

On a simliar note, the story really peaks right around Chapter 6 and then starts to tailspin. The last four chapters are seriously bad. They can be summed up like this:

SHOOT WALL PIMPLES AND MOVE DOWN HALLWAY---> WATCH OUT, IT'S BARF MAN ---> KILL BARF MAN AND PROCEED TO ROOM WITH AN EMPTY BATTERY SOCKET ---> INSERT BATTERY SOCKET AND HEAD TO PREVIOUSLY LOCKED DOOR--> MONSTER CLOSET ATTACK ---> HEAD TO OBJECTIVE AND ACTIVATE CONSOLE ---> ENJOY CINEMATIC FEATURING DEAD GIRLFRIEND GUILT TRIP ---> MOVE TO NEXT AREA _--> DEMON BABIES AND BARF MAN ---> TRANSMISSION FROM BAD GUY: "YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT OUT ALIVE, BUAHAHAHAHA." ---> ZERO G ----> NICOLE RUNS HER MOUTH ---> BARF MAN ---> HELP STUPID COMPANIONS OPEN A DOOR ---> AUDIO LOG: "THESE MONSTERS ARE CRAZY!!!" ---> BARF MAN

It became so tedious at the end I really just wanted it to be over.

Granted, the game did a lot of things right. Visuals are superb, voice acting is great. But the game just lacked any real horror. And the Necromorphs taking backseat to some crooked government conspiracy bullshit? Ugh...

Doom III was a better game and featured better use of monster closet technology.

Just finished it.

It surely was a contender for game of the year for me until
the last part of the game. Level Designers, everywhere, listen. Just because it's the end of the game doesn't mean you can toss a shitload of enemies left and right just because ''it's the end of the game''. That's just generic, frustrating and more importantly, lazy game design at its best. The first part of the game is intense and mysterious, the second part is scary as hell and unnerving and then the last part is just a generic shooter. I wasn't scared, I was just tired of all the enemies that kept popping left and right without any tension whatsoever. It made me want the game to end which is not the thing that needs to come up when playing a game. I played on Survivalist and didn't really have a problem until the end.

First three quarters of the game are really good, Game of the Year material, but the end is just lazy, boring and frustrating.

Anyone catch the PS3 scrolling thing at the end of some of the TV commercials? I was amused to see 'Dementia' and 'Annihilation' on that list :)

Regarding the end quarter of the game
I found must of it very tense, whereas a lot of you guys found it tedious, and I can understand that. On my first playthrough, there were a few very frustrating bits (though on my second playthrough, I used the Force Gun as sort of a lark and it kicks so much ass it's not even funny. Didn't die once.) I hope for the next game, they make the end game far more involving with bigger setpieces or much more unusual psychological gameplay... but Jesus, the Needle Machine was one of the highlights of the ending... I was cringing the whole way through that one.

So are we sure that Earth is next? I'm thinking they might leave Earth alone, and focus an a more unusual place... doubtful it'll be another space city, but perhaps a settlement on Mars or the Moon(!). Somewhere where Zero-G could be used

scitek said:

Hardcore mode is made even easier on Xbox 360 which apparently checkpoints you at end of disc 1/start of disc 2, so If you can manage to keep your 3 saves intact until then, you will have a checkpoint and 3 saves.

Top Bottom