• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

I'm up to chapter 4 (or 5?) so far, and I'm loving the game. It doesn't quite have the same feel as the original, though. I'm terrible at putting my thoughts into words, but here goes . . .

First, the change in level design leaves me slightly disappointed. I like backtracking when done properly, and I find the more linear nature of Dead Space 2's environments prevents the Sprawl from feeling like an actual location. It just feels more disconnected, as though the corridors and rooms you travel through exist entirely on their own rather than as a part of a whole. The
Church of Unitology
is sort of a taste of what I like, so I hope there are some similarly designed areas later on.

Second, the first Dead Space was uncomfortably scary for the first few chapters, and I absolutely loved it. Granted, the original ran out of tricks quickly, but at least it was initially frightening. Dead Space 2 has yet to scare me, and I have seen nothing in the first 4 or 5 chapters that indicates the dev team has any new tricks to make the necromorphs scary again. The original game had the benefit of the necromorphs being an unknown enemy, so they were frightening until you learned their behavior. Now, though, we know they're going to jump out of vents, and simply making them faster is not enough to make them fresh.

Third, I really disliked the opening. The onslaught of the necromorphs seemed way too abrupt and in your face. There was no build up, just pure action, and it simply didn't sit right with me.

Other than those possibly nonsensical nit-picks, Dead Space 2 is absolutely fantastic so far. I mean, I enjoyed the gameplay of the original, and this is a refined Dead Space with increased production values. Some quick things of note: I love that Isaac has a voice now, and I think the actor they chose is perfect for the role. His voice sounds very natural and fitting for Isaac. Also, the
train ride
was immensely enjoyable. It was definitely a "holy shit!" moment, and it put a humongous grin on my face to see things go from bad to worse. In a post-Uncharted 2 world, well done set pieces like that really help elevate a game to another level.

I want to go back to playing now, but I don't want it to end. Congratulations to CodeCow and team for crafting yet another stellar game.

Replicant

Schwowsers said:
I love that Isaac has a voice now, and I think the actor they chose is perfect for the role. His voice sounds very natural and fitting for Isaac. Also, the
train ride
was immensely enjoyable. It was definitely a "holy shit!" moment, and it put a humongous grin on my face to see things go from bad to worse. In a post-Uncharted 2 world, well done set pieces like that really help elevate a game to another level.

Yeah, I definitely love these two elements. Isaac's VA sounds good and appropriate and he's so much better being a fully-fleshed out character than just an unknown lackey that he was in the first one.

And the train sequence was just gold. I really love how tense it was and the conclusion was exciting without being frustrating.

I also need to add that I love the suiting-up sequences. There's just something cool about how the suit's armor closes itself and cover Isaac's face.

JEKKI

whooo~!! I played sum multiplayer!!

actually, there is absolutely nothing whooo about multiplayer -_-...

let's never play it again.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Would be awesome if the game had some sort of in-game bestiary. A more in-depth description of how each of the necro types transform.

Max

I am not Max
SailorDaravon said:
Yeah, when these rarely pop up they usually go for over $1,000, and I've seen just parts of them go for a few hundred. Pretty crazy.
Oh my god! I have the art book somewhere

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Those leaper enemies are BASTARDS. I don't see them mentioned that much but they're easily the most annoying guys for me.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Papercuts said:
Those leaper enemies are BASTARDS. I don't see them mentioned that much but they're easily the most annoying guys for me.

Yeah, they really gained a level or 2 between dead space 1 and 2. Every scenario that they appeared in it was at least one guaranteed death for me. That leap they make is lightning fast, more so when you compare it to the floaty slow leap they did in DS1.

Struct09

Completed the game tonight. I liked the game, but I think I enjoyed Dead Space 1 more. DS2 has some great set pieces, but other than that I constantly felt that I knew what to expect, and I got a feeling of repetition starting in the later chapters. DS1 was a fresh experience to me when it came out. I also hate
unkillable enemies, so I found the last couple chapters quite lame :-/

But anyway, good game, and I quite enjoyed the ending.

hteng

Banned
Papercuts said:

yea i almost always get hit by them, second only to stalkers. when a leaper leaps at you it's pretty much impossible to interrupt. hate the black ones you encounter in the last chapter

Family Fry said:
Hardcore mode is made even easier on Xbox 360 which apparently checkpoints you at end of disc 1/start of disc 2, so If you can manage to keep your 3 saves intact until then, you will have a checkpoint and 3 saves.
orlyputinyd3.jpg

hmm, thx didn't know that. between chapters 6 n 7 iirc.

KAOz

Short bus special
TTP said:
Ok how do I unlock the
Prototype Suit (or whatever it's called)?

I have completed the game on my first run at Zealot and got a notification about it. Now I have completed it again via New Game + and didn't find it.

Perhaps it's not available in NG+

I'm about to start my hardcore run. Will I find it there?

The Prototype suits are only available in NG+, and there are several of them. One modified version for every suit.
I'm guessing you're thinking of the Prototype Advanced suit (black, sleek, and sexy). That one is found on Chapter 11, after that long elevator ride full of necros. When the elevator stops, turn away from the door, and face the wall behind you. Should be there, and you need Telekinesis to grab it.

MrSerrels

Quick question: is anyone here finding the camera really fucking frustrating? Like I don't want to play anymore frustrating. It feels so different to the first one - stupidly fast out of aim, jerky and inconsistent in aim.

It's ruining the game for me.

Trevelyon

Two questions:

Do trophy related tallies carry into completely new games (vacuum cleaner for example) I wanna go to hardcore difficulty from a NG+, but still need to decompress 4 necros, will it continue to tally my kills in hardcore?

...and, what are the best 3 suggested save points for Hardcore. I can think of at least 5 serious choke points that would need a save before, so what's the most recommended. I'd rather have something to works towards then just winging it.

KAOz

Short bus special
MrSerrels said:
Quick question: is anyone here finding the camera really fucking frustrating? Like I don't want to play anymore frustrating. It feels so different to the first one - stupidly fast out of aim, jerky and inconsistent in aim.

It's ruining the game for me.

Go into Settings. Change the Camera or Aim Mode (can't remember what it's called), to Classic. And then it's just like the first Dead Space again.

Trevelyon said:
Do trophy related tallies carry into completely new games (vacuum cleaner for example) I wanna go to hardcore difficulty from a NG+, but still need to decompress 4 necros, will it continue to tally my kills in hardcore?

The tallies only count for the NG+. Not a full New Game, then it resets. And also, you can't go into Hardcore from NG+.

MrSerrels

KAOz said:
Go into Settings. Change the Camera or Aim Mode (can't remember what it's called), to Classic. And then it's just like the first Dead Space again.

If this works I'll feel like an utter retard, but then be so, so thankful.

KAOz

Short bus special
MrSerrels said:
If this works I'll feel like an utter retard, but then be so, so thankful.

Oh, it should work. I have gone through the entire game with the Classic option, simply because the Default one was really stupid. If you enjoyed the Dead Space 1 camera, then you will enjoy Classic, as it is the same. :D

Tokubetsu

Anyone else forcing AA correctly on a 4870 or two? I get these weird veritcal bars over everything when I try via Radeon Pro.

Trevelyon

KAOz said:
The tallies only count for the NG+. Not a full New Game, then it resets. And also, you can't go into Hardcore from NG+.

Oh, I know that, it's just I wanted to start a Hardcore game, but I still have that trophy to get, so I was wondering. So I should continue on to a NG++ to keep that tally going.

KAOz

Short bus special
Trevelyon said:
Oh, I know that, it's just I wanted to start a Hardcore game, but I still have that trophy to get, so I was wondering. So I should continue on to a NG++ to have that tally going.

Exactly.

Since New Game just resets everything. Unless you keep two saves. One for the NG+, which will keep your current tally. And another save for Hardcore, which will have everything clean.
As long as you keep the NG+ save, you will be able to keep going.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Classic aim mode is the sex. Feels so much more immersive.

Also, finally played some DS1/2 with sound cancelling headphones + music off and sweet mother of god. I had just beaten both these games and they were making me all jumpy again.

Do you guys feel that under the recommended brightness setting (adjust slider so that logo is barely visible) that the environment is too dark? In some rooms I can't see nothing unless I use the flashlight and it's like that for most of the game. Kinda doubt that's how it's really meant to be played but could be.

JohngPR said:
I decided to buy this at the last minute so I won't be getting my copy from Amazon until Friday. That'll give me plenty of time to finish DS1. I was thinking of starting it completely over because it's been a really long time since I played it (I stopped on Chapter 8).

I did the same thing. Always have a hard time getting back into games after I've stopped playing for a long time. I often just start over.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Played up through chapter 10 last night. Chapter 10 from the start is a masterclass in building tension. All other developers take note: that's how you fucking do it.

Sheesh, my hands still hurt this morning from gripping the controller. Granted I had the lights out, headphones cranked, but, just... wow.

Wiggum2007

The one thing I'd like to see in the next game is more necromorphs that become more dangerous when shot in the wrong place. It seems like that was something they really played up before DS1 came out, but the only enemy I can think of that demonstrates this is the Pregnants. Like, a certain necromorph that when split in two just becomes two more dangerous enemies. It'd at a nice extra layer of strategy on top of the usual indiscriminate dismemberment.

Wiggum2007 said:
The one thing I'd like to see in the next game is more necromorphs that become more dangerous when shot in the wrong place. It seems like that was something they really played up before DS1 came out, but the only enemy I can think of that demonstrates this is the Pregnants. Like, a certain necromorph that when split in two just becomes two more dangerous enemies. It'd at a nice extra layer of strategy on top of the usual indiscriminate dismemberment.

This would certainly make for an interesting twist.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wiggum2007 said:
Excellent idea. The preggers always made me super stressed when put into packs.

Patryn

Wiggum2007 said:

Well explody-arm guys returned from DS1, as well as introducing the babies.

They were my biggest worry as I used the Ripper as my main, and they forced me to switch weapons because otherwise I'd kill myself in the ensuing explosion.

big_z

question: if you buy back the nodes from your suit does it downgrade it? i tried just before quitting tonight and it didnt look like my health bar changed so wtf.

KingGondo

Banned
Another (probably stupid) question:

I bought the limited edition with Extraction... how do I install Extraction? I assumed there would be a PSN code packed in, but I couldn't find anything.

KingGondo said:

I bought the limited edition with Extraction... how do I install Extraction? I assumed there would be a PSN code packed in, but I couldn't find anything.

I don't have the PS3 version but from what I understand from podcasts etc it's on the disc. Maybe check the extras menu or something?

Grisby

KingGondo said:

It should be on the xmb. Instead of launching DS go down to where it says extras. Install the game and launch it from there or your games folder. You still need the disc at all times though.

KingGondo

Banned
Grisby said:
It should be on the xmb. Instead of launching DS go down to where it says extras. Install the game and launch it from there or your games folder. You still need the disc at all times though.
Gotcha, thanks! Excited to finally use Move!

dralla

If you respec a gun do you have to put the nodes back into the same gun? I put nodes into a gun I'm probably not going to use and I'd like to take them out and put them into a different gun

Finished yesterday, if I had to score it I would give it a 9.5, I absolutely loved it, only negative for me was the last few chapters, was running for my life rather then the slow grind that I prefer but I guess they have to build up the tension and the situation at hand, great stuff here.

ultron87

dralla said:
If you respec a gun do you have to put the nodes back into the same gun? I put nodes into a gun I'm probably not going to use and I'd like to take them out and put them into a different gun

You should be able to spend them wherever. Wouldn't really be that useful otherwise.

Is "respec" the term it actually uses in the game for this action? Kind of weird that a term that was really doesn't make any sense outside of MMOs is now just common game vocabulary.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ultron87 said:
You should be able to spend them wherever. Wouldn't really be that useful otherwise.

Is "respec" the term it actually uses in the game for this action? Kind of weird that a term that was really doesn't make any sense outside of MMOs is now just common game vocabulary.
Well it's not totally contextually inappropriate. I mean, spec refers to specialization, so you could theoretically spend your nodes along a different path and make a gun slightly better at something else, I assume.

sam27368

Banned
big_z said:
you must have ran the entire game and skipped fighting enemies.
I'd literally just finished Dead Space 1 for the 3rd time right before going into DS2, so to be honest I wasn't enjoying it as much for two reasons.

1) I was Dead Space'd out, as much as I love the game there's only so much dismembering a man can do

2) I was in the mindset of the end of Dead Space 1 where it literally is fight or flight. I spent a bit of time exploring in DS2 but after the devs said no backtracking and the fact it's quite linear I thought "meh I doubt I'm missing much". Stupid I know.

I loved DS2 thought it was fantastic, especially the last couple of chapters. Pretty epic.

Struct09

dralla said:

It gives you all the nodes back into your inventory, you can do whatever you want with them.

Top Bottom