• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Replicant said:
I thought this is funny (and a bit cruel):

141skfc.jpg

ahahahahahahaha that is awful

Replicant

Okay, managed to finally play Hardcore up to Chapter 5 and actually saving it (prior to the Tormentor stuff). On a hindsight, though, I should have gone further and maybe only save around chapter 6 before the Elevator sequence.

Because of that I'm wondering: I know you can only save 3 times during 1 hardcore playthrough. However, no one ever said that you can only have 1 hardcore playthrough. So essentially now that I already have 1 hardcore playthrough with the 1st save at Chapter 5, I can actually do another fresh new Hardcore playthrough and save somewhere else and that will still be counted as save no 1, correct? Since technically this is a 2nd hardcore playthrough separate from the 1st one. Can someone please confirm this?

Roscoe

Neo Member
Can someone explain how the disc swap helps a hardcore run on 360? I think I heard that it was a defacto checkpoint and as long as you didn't turn off the system you can reload from that section as much as you want. If that is the case couldn't you theoretically make it all the way to chapter 7 without a save?

DigiMish

Replicant said:
Because of that I'm wondering: I know you can only save 3 times during 1 hardcore playthrough. However, no one ever said that you can only have 1 hardcore playthrough. So essentially now that I already have 1 hardcore playthrough with the 1st save at Chapter 5, I can actually do another fresh new Hardcore playthrough and save somewhere else and that will still be counted as save no 1, correct? Since technically this is a 2nd hardcore playthrough separate from the 1st one. Can someone please confirm this?

Yeah, it's a different save game, so it will work.

SalsaShark said:
So is it better than 1 ?

Absolutely. You should go back and beat DS1 just so you can appreciate the leap this one takes. It gives Isaac some fucking character, it's very well made...it's just a whole lot better!

tsigo

Roscoe said:
Can someone explain how the disc swap helps a hardcore run on 360? I think I heard that it was a defacto checkpoint and as long as you didn't turn off the system you can reload from that section as much as you want. If that is the case couldn't you theoretically make it all the way to chapter 7 without a save?

Yes. I didn't make my first save until the end of chapter 9. If I died before that, but after chapter 7, I would have gone back to the beginning of disc 2, not the beginning of the game.

Replicant said:
Okay, managed to finally play Hardcore up to Chapter 5 and actually saving it (prior to the Tormentor stuff). On a hindsight, though, I should have gone further and maybe only save around chapter 6 before the Elevator sequence.

This is correct. I ended up saving right where you saved the first time. The tormentor is actually not that big a deal. You should be able to squeak it a bit further. The real tough run is the next one. I pushed it to right after you
activate the centrifuge in Chapter 10
That's where my second save was. I didn't have the confidence to push it further than that.

There's some maniac here on GAF that made his first save somewhere in chapter 10...I'm not that bad ass.

Wario64 said:
I made my first save there. My other saves were tripod elevator and the drill.
I think I'll do that too. It's all the early chapters that are really bothering me, I need my force gun back.

Anyway, thought I'd bring this up, don't know if it's old but this guy did a hardcore run with no saves or upgrades to anything. The only suit he uses is the Engineer suit. Makes the whole game his bitch.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/975302-dead-space-2/58255266

I went and watched how he handled the sequence that kept getting me killed and I am just blown away at what a pro he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtkNINpjFDc

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Finally finished my survivalist run after the second try. Experimenting with the new weapons ended up costing me the ammo/health stockpiles and specific necessary upgrades to finish the game on my first try.

On the whole I really enjoyed the game, but the last couple chapters damn near ruined it all for me. Such a mess that wasn't enjoyable at all to play through.

Frester

I'm just about to finish up my Zealot run and move onto Hardcore but I have a few questions.

-Starting from a fresh save (duh), where does the hacker contact beam (or even the regular one) schematic show up? On my Zealot run it was pretty late in the game and I'd imagine some parts being pretty difficult with just the plasma cutter.
-How did you guys handle the necromorphs that are on the wall and shoot out those pods that shoot the Lurker missiles at you? In most places there are those fuel tanks which will one shot them but the first one you come across doesn't have one nearby.

Gvaz

Banned
This is nice, though some aspiring SA goon modded all the suits and guns back in weeks ago. I wonder if this new patch conflicts with it, since it's just an exe fix.

Replicant

Frester said:
I'm just about to finish up my Zealot run and move onto Hardcore but I have a few questions.

-Starting from a fresh save (duh), where does the hacker contact beam (or even the regular one) schematic show up? On my Zealot run it was pretty late in the game and I'd imagine some parts being pretty difficult with just the plasma cutter.

Hacker contact beam is available on the 2nd Conduit room, IIRC, the one before the train station.

-How did you guys handle the necromorphs that are on the wall and shoot out those pods that shoot the Lurker missiles at you? In most places there are those fuel tanks which will one shot them but the first one you come across doesn't have one nearby.

The alt bombs from either the line gun or the pulse rifle will dispatch those moaners on the wall in one go before they can even shoot their seeds. I'd recommend taking the pulse rifle instead the line gun for Hardcore run. Its usefulness outlive the line gun in Hardcore because it takes down the little maggots and the pack of kids easily.

Also, suggestion: when arriving at the 1st train station, do not move closer to the train until you chopped off all the dead bodies on the train station. So use your kinesis to grab these body from a relatively safe distance and go stomping on them. I think there are 5+ bodies. It'd make life easier for you because the infector that will come out later won't have any bodies to turn into a Necro so you can easily dispatch it and the first Necro it creates.

My problems with Hardcore have always been: the first tripod boss, the train station hanging upside-down brute (sometimes my hit doesn't seem to register), and the 1st gangbang inside the main hall of the Unitology church. I notice I tend to get stuck most often with these moments. The others are okay providing that I'm careful and not rush things.

I also suggest putting 7+ nodes on the Contact Beam until it reaches its SPECIAL node. Yes, I'd actually recommend this instead of upgrading your stasis since it'd stasis + break/destroy EVERYTHING within its radius once it reaches that SPEC node. It's a life saver/a panic button when you're surrounded by many creatures. If you have the Zealot Force Gun, it's great as an enforcer to keep them away before it's too late (especially with the bomb carriers). I've only upgraded my stasis for 3 nodes and put more on the Rig upgrades instead.

Frester

Replicant said:
The alt bombs from either the line gun or the pulse rifle will dispatch those moaners on the wall in one go before they can even shoot their seeds. I'd recommend taking the pulse rifle instead the line gun for Hardcore run. Its usefulness outlive the line gun in Hardcore because it takes down the little maggots and the pack of kids easily.

Yeah, I've been using the pulse rifle on them on Zealot but didn't think there'd be enough credits on Hardcore to get three guns, but I forgot the hacker beam is free. Gonna be so tempted to get the Seeker Rifle on Hardcore >:O

highrider

Banned
Crewnh said:
I think I'll do that too. It's all the early chapters that are really bothering me, I need my force gun back.

Anyway, thought I'd bring this up, don't know if it's old but this guy did a hardcore run with no saves or upgrades to anything. The only suit he uses is the Engineer suit. Makes the whole game his bitch.

I went and watched how he handled the sequence that kept getting me killed and I am just blown away at what a pro he is.

that's insane. i thought i was pretty respectable at this game. reminds of watching a really great ninja gaiden player. just makes you want to hang up your dragon sword.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Could somebody tell me, but where there any perks to having a complete dead space save on your system when you first started playing DS2?

todahawk

wenis said:
Could somebody tell me, but where there any perks to having a complete dead space save on your system when you first started playing DS2?

refurbed plasma cutter in the store, i didn't bother with it.
edit: it's free but I thought I already had the plasma cutter when I noticed the refurbed one.

Tunavi said:
Does anyone have the first picture from the OP in Higher Resolution and without the GAF watermark? Thanks

Nope, sorry. I made that from scratch (Sorta, I technically just put a bunch of shit together and BLEEEEENNNNND), but that's the original resolution.

KAOz

Short bus special
Got done with Hardcore mode, and got the Platinum.

I feel empty now. So empty. I want Dead Space 3 now.

Anyone else think the crazy
bird man CPU shutdown
section was the highlight of the game? It had a real 2001: A Space Odyssey vibe to it.

Appollowexx said:
bird man CPU shutdown
section was the highlight of the game? It had a real 2001: A Space Odyssey vibe to it.

It was very awesome. I really enjoyed that whole sequence. I kinda wish there were less enemies and it were a bit more creepy and desolate though.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
It was very awesome. I really enjoyed that whole sequence. I kinda wish there were less enemies and it were a bit more creepy and desolate though.

Yes! I had the same issue with Bioshock, would have worked so much better with fewer enemies and less combat.

Wiggum2007

Felt like they could have done a bit more with the Zero-G sections, I think they relied to much on the obstacle course type sections with an annoying pod launching thing thrown in for good measure. I did really like the solar array and garbage disposal sections though. Also for DS3 they need to add a roll axis to the Zero-G controls, reorienting yourself without the RB autocenter is a bit awkward.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:

Yeah I actually thought it was going to be a completely enemy-free sequence, seeing as the logs went out of their way to point out that the watchman was the only guy up there, but then a bunch of necromorphs show up with (seemingly?) no explanation.

ArjanN

Appollowexx said:
bird man CPU shutdown

I liked that his name was a HP Lovecraft reference.

Frester

I'm sure this has been gone over before but for those of you that have done/are doing Hardcore, where are you saving? I was thinking 6, 9, 12/13.

Wiggum2007

Also I'd like to add that they really missed the opportunity to do some cool stuff with the dementia. I was ready for some neat hallucinations and psychological shit but 90% of the time it was just "sepia filter + Isaac grabs his head and Nicole says some inaudible staticy crap".

KAOz

Short bus special
Frester said:
I'm sure this has been gone over before but for those of you that have done/are doing Hardcore, where are you saving? I was thinking 6, 9, 12/13.

I personally used 4 (
in the room before you reach Daina and the dragged-around-fight
). Towards the end of 9, right before the little "piece these three thingies together"-puzzle. And at the middle of 13. Worked perfectly.

Upgrade rig and stasis loads. Force Gun, Compact Beam, and the motherfucking Ripper will make you God. Specially the Ripper with some upgrades.

Frester said:

I saved at chapter 5 (in the room where you have to unblock the conduct), at the very end of chapter 8 (just before going outside after the cut-scene) and at the very beginning of chapter 13 (although a save just after
launching the gunship
would have saved a bit of time). Probably not the best save spots (with the exception of ch13, maybe) but those where the points in the game where I felt redoing everything again was not worth it over just doing 30 minutes of non-critical things every time I started.

.GqueB.

Banned
tmacairjordan87 said:
I completed it a few days ago and I generally liked it more than 1, though the last 2 chapters or so was complete bullshit
looking at you Nemesis-type necromorph :mad:

But the game was much better and paced better than Dead Space 1, which I almost fell asleep a few times playing.
That monster completely fucked me in the first game. I as escaping it and was having a rough time as it chased me from room to room. I get to a "safe" room and see a save point and run directly at it because I really didnt wanna do that shit again. I come out of the save and get immediately hit. Get hit again and I die.

Now keep in mind, I had no health, no stasis, very limited ammo. All I could do was melee. I was stuck with this save for SIX MONTHS before I finally got past it. I didnt wanna start the game over again either. And I was one of those fools playing with only 1 save. Didnt make that mistake again.

...never again.

todahawk

I was just reading through the "Resident Evil 4 is still so freaking good" thread and it occured to me that I would LOVE
KILL?
to see a Mercenaries-type mode in Dead Space 3. It would be soooooooo awesome.

Let's see:

- pick a character (speed/armor/base weapons)
- zero g/air less areas for extra fun
- dropship pickup when time runs out
- TK & stasis kills for bonus points
- so much more

Do you know what I would like? It would cool if I could decipher what that weird unitologists/marker? language. I know in DS1 they had a translation on what symbols are and what letters are so you can figure out what the people are trying to say.

I just get really curious. Like today when I was playing and I was in a random unitologist bedroom and in the childrens room there is blood on the floor and in a small tucked away corner a message is displayed. This is one of the features of DS "universe" that I like but it takes to much effort to figure it out.

todahawk

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
Do you know what I would like? It would cool if I could decipher what that weird unitologists/marker? language. I know in DS1 they had a translation on what symbols are and what letters are so you can figure out what the people are trying to say.

I just get really curious. Like today when I was playing and I was in a random unitologist bedroom and in the childrens room there is blood on the floor and in a small tucked away corner a message is displayed. This is one of the features of DS "universe" that I like but it takes to much effort to figure it out.

I saw somewhere that someone had translated a good chunk of the DS2 symbols... if i find it I'll post the link. Might've been on youtube.

tsigo

Someone did. It shouldn't be hard, as the head UI designer has said that the "language" is just a one-to-one font where A=A, B=B, etc. (think Wingdings)

Deadly

kayos90 said:
I'm pretty sure they didn't change the button config since DS1
The controls were changed alot, I just finished DS1 so it's kinda hard to adjust. Y used to open inventory, reload was LT+A, back was to open the map and X was quick-healing. Only ones that have really affected me so far

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
Crewnh said:

Holy crap. I don't think anyone here at the studio is even that good. I know I'm not.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
JohngPR said:
The controls got re-tooled.

We did very major work to almost all the controls and mechanics to make them more responsive and accessible. Even if a button mapping is the same, the underlying mechanic is likely streamlined.

Isaac's speeds and feel, aiming, TK, stasis, etc all got major attention. A lot of people don't notice it unless they go back and play DS1 again. It just "feels better"

venom2124

One thing I've been wondering about is that black shape that's scribbled on the walls in a few places. Is it supposed to represent the marker? It honestly reminds me more of a devil's silhouette. Curious to see what others think of it.

Salaadin

Monkey Pants said:
Holy crap. I don't think anyone here at the studio is even that good. I know I'm not.
Do you work at Visceral?

venom2124 said:
One thing I've been wondering about is that black shape that's scribbled on the walls in a few places. Is it supposed to represent the marker? It honestly reminds me more of a devil's silhouette. Curious to see what others think of it.

I thought of the marker the instant I saw it, didnt really think of anything else. I assume its the marker.

venom2124

You're probably right. It just looks like the two points spread like horns instead of coming together like the top of the marker. I guess it represents the black marker.

Salaadin

venom2124 said:
You're probably right. It just looks like the two points spread like horns instead of coming together like the top of the marker. I guess it represents the black marker.

I can definitely see where youre getting that from.

Top Bottom