• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Monkey Pants said:
Holy crap. I don't think anyone here at the studio is even that good. I know I'm not.

Thank you and the group for making two awesome games I've played the last two years (DS2 and Dante's Inferno). I hope you guys can make a sequel to DI that is as big a leap as DS2 was to DS1. And that's saying something because DS1 was a fucking awesome game.

LiK

Monkey Pants said:
We did very major work to almost all the controls and mechanics to make them more responsive and accessible. Even if a button mapping is the same, the underlying mechanic is likely streamlined.

Isaac's speeds and feel, aiming, TK, stasis, etc all got major attention. A lot of people don't notice it unless they go back and play DS1 again. It just "feels better"

camera is pulled back way more too than DS1. didn't noticed until i replayed DS1 last month. it's probably why DS2 feels a lot of less claustrophobic. but i read there's a DS1 camera angle in DS2?

hiryu

I finally got around to finishing this yesterday. I really loved the game and thought the later chapters were the best. I thought the game was pretty easy on Normal and I only used the plasma cutter and forge gun. I had both of those maxed out around chapter 10.

AlStrong

LiK said:
camera is pulled back way more too than DS1. didn't noticed until i replayed DS1 last month. it's probably why DS2 feels a lot of less claustrophobic.

Yeah... very narrow FOV, like you couldn't see around corners easily or much of anything. It was very disorienting at first.

but i read there's a DS1 camera angle in DS2?

Wouldn't mind having an option for this as I thought it added to the horror style, limiting your field of view.

I think it's just an option for the classic aiming style during the QTE that's in DS2 (aim with the laser sight versus entire screen moving).

Haunted

And +1 FOR atmosphere. The chapters without/with few combat situations that really allowed me to soak in the atmosphere were my favourites. The first chapter and the one where Isaac
returns to the Ishimura
, that kind of stuff. The church of Unitology is probably the best level in the game because it has a unique art direction and interesting balance between interesting exploration and combat.

Crewnh said:
I went and watched how he handled the sequence that kept getting me killed and I am just blown away at what a pro he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtkNINpjFDc
Loved how he first trips them, the next shot is removing one arm, then TKs them to make the loot pop out and snatches it in mid-air. :eek:

Great speed, good aim and he obviously has a great handle on enemy spawn positions. Would make for a pro speedrun, I'm sure.

MrPliskin

Banned
Monkey Pants said:
We did very major work to almost all the controls and mechanics to make them more responsive and accessible. Even if a button mapping is the same, the underlying mechanic is likely streamlined.

Isaac's speeds and feel, aiming, TK, stasis, etc all got major attention. A lot of people don't notice it unless they go back and play DS1 again. It just "feels better"

I've been trying to milk this out of the Community team on FB for ages now, and it seems that they're really mum on the whole thing.

All I'm curious about is if Move support for the game will ever be a possibility. I really see no reason (at all) for any lack of a confirmation one way or the other. Anyway you could get in touch with any of those guy's and just say "hey, tell them it's never going to be a possibility".

At least then I won't have it sitting in the back of my mind when I'm enjoying how fantastic KZ3 is with move, thinking "Man, Dead Space 2 would be phenomenal with this".

Thanks in advance :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Loved the original Dead Space, loved the Dead Space 2 demo but didn't bother buying the game :/...

So yeah, today I finally decided to buy Limited Edition version! Is Extraction any good? Can you play two player? Move?

+ The graphics have slightly improved over Dead Space. The IQ is crispier, the lighting although still lacking is more convincing and the cutscenes transfer fluidly to gameplay
+ The game runs at a steady 30 fps, and small touches like your health meter flashing when you don't have med pack available demonstrates the care put into this game
++ The sounds are the strongest part of this game. Dead Space 2 is a top tiered audio visual monster
+ The increased effectiveness of the kinesis module is an improvement. When ammo is scarce, kinesis is your friend. Picking up crates/bodies/general stuff you'll find to knock out those baby bombs is fun
+ Dead Space 2 keeps you on your toes the whole time, on the harder difficulties you conserve ammo whenever possible and use the stasis and kinesis abilities whenever it is needed
0 The gameplay is almost identical to the first game, not really a bad thing, but disappointing. The physics still has that familiar 'bouncy plastic body' Havoc engine
- The story is even more silly than Dead Space, poor Isaac just can’t take a break. Unitologists, space chopper hunting you, crazy Unitologists, Elly and Stross, Isaac having halucinations. It really is a demented mess
- The necromorphs lay low, make no sound, and like a cunning predator they jump poor Isaac preemptively. As discipels of Albert Wesker, they intelligently bumfuck Isaac a bit too often. The 'look I'm behind you' cheapness is too numerous
- In Dead Space 2 the action is faster and subtility is lost among hyper and frantic necromorph movement. More does not mean better, the tension that made Dead Space so special is lost
- Really publishers need to fuck off with preorder DLC, get two guns extra and a powersuit from the get go of the campaign. Really?
- Segmented area's / doors that ingeneously mask loading time also means that enemies can't follow you and objects you want to take from one area disappear over time
- Dead Spaces most memorable moments are the Zero G, where subdued gun blasting, flying necromorphs and slower movements are like a ballet of carnage, these moments are scarce in part 2
- The best part of Dead Space 2 is
chapter 10, revisiting the Ishimura.
Unitologist apartments, churches and incoherent mash and paste segments. The Ishimura's decks definitely shits all over this

7/10
Zealot difficulty

todahawk

Yoshichan said:
Loved the original Dead Space, loved the Dead Space 2 demo but didn't bother buying the game :/...

So yeah, today I finally decided to buy Limited Edition version! Is Extraction any good? Can you play two player? Move?

Yeah, I'm loving Extraction with the Move. I wasn't sure if I'd like it but especially after the first two chapters it really hits its stride. Awesome game and I haven't even touched the Challenge rooms.

venom2124 said:
You're probably right. It just looks like the two points spread like horns instead of coming together like the top of the marker. I guess it represents the black marker.

I've heard it referred to as the Devil's Tail (at least, I'm pretty sure some people called it this in Martyr)

Edit: Severed tomorrow!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I've heard it referred to as the Devil's Tail (at least, I'm pretty sure some people called it this in Martyr)

Edit: Severed tomorrow!

Any news as to release time? 12:00 PM PST?

Kinyou

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I read 3:00 pm somewhere, but I'm not 100% on that. Don't know about the EU release whether it's tomorrow or down the line.
I read on facebook that it's released at 3:eek:o pm in middle Europe (Italy, Germany etc.)

luxarific

Nork unification denier
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I read 3:00 pm somewhere, but I'm not 100% on that. Don't know about the EU release whether it's tomorrow or down the line.

Probably the first instance ever where I actually would preorder DLC if that option was available, heh.

Roscoe

Neo Member
Omotesando said:
- The best part of Dead Space 2 is chapter 10, revisiting the Ishimura. Unitologist apartments, churches and incoherent mash and paste segments. The Ishimura's decks definitely shits all over this

7/10
Zealot difficulty

Spoiler tags?

Either way as someone who has played through twice I completely disagree. The early parts in the residential areas of the sprawl have some of the best atmosphere in the game. From the attention to detail in people's living quarters to people screaming through their doors at the terror outside. I think your rose colored glasses with regards to DS1 may be clouding your judgment, and I loved the hell out of DS1.

Roscoe said:
Spoiler tags?

Either way as someone who has played through twice I completely disagree. The early parts in the residential areas of the sprawl have some of the best atmosphere in the game. From the attention to detail in people's living quarters to people screaming through their doors at the terror outside. I think your rose colored glasses with regards to DS1 may be clouding your judgment, and I loved the hell out of DS1.

Yea, the appartements are really cool, for a moment...

Dead Spaces Ishimura makes sense, from the dirty steel, growling generators, shifting automatic doors, plausible ship decks, and awe-inspiring zero gravity segments. It is coherent, robust and a genuine believable scifi scenario.

Dead Space 2 is beautifull, but it feels and id incoherent, with segments that sometimes exhibit Ishimura assets, from a hospital to a apartement, to a unitologist hideouts, unitologist freezer?, then cathedral, then cave, space station, skidiving back to the same appartments. Too many forgettable tight corridors.

The bird guy's place was a memorable place and offcourse the Ishimura. Yea I like Dead Space better, and it ain't no rosy pinky cloud that affects my judgement.

KaYotiX

Banned
Just beat it yesterday and omfg awesome game!!!

Loved it from start to finish and I love the ending part
Where he is in the ship and it makes it all look like a necromorph is gonna get him like in DS1 but what's her name is sitting there and just says "what"
fucking awesome

Got to chapter 13 of the game on Zealot difficulty and it has been a lot of fun.

The game is not a classic, but it has been pretty fun, I'll give it a 8/10.

I think the part where Dead Space 2 misses the mark is how "fun" it is to kill things.

My main objective in the entire game is basically to keep going forward, and playing it through the second time (and in 1/3 of the time as well :p) I don't feel like the game takes full advantage of its own gameplay.

Killing could be a lot of fun, but in rare circumstances I feel like it becomes gratifying or satisfying. I think the combat in this game is almost too strategic, every room you go into you need a plan, and while that is actually one of the strengths of the game, at times you just want to shoot baddies and the way the spawns are setup and how enemies move it doesn't exactly allow for that.

On that same note, while combat is perhaps not as gratifying as some other TPS, I really enjoy the game for what it is. I think the developers decided to make combat "less fun" and make the enemies harder and more threatening instead. It creates more atmosphere and more sense of panicking, but it takes a little toll in how satisfying the whole experience is.

mug

Just beat the game.
HOLY FUCK THE LAST CHAPTER WAS GOD DAMN FRUSTRATING. I think I was on the verge of having a heart attack or passing out. That regenerating bastard was annoying as hell even with my heavily upgraded contact beam. I think I'm going to go lie down and attempt to peel dried out contacts from my eyeballs.
Pretty good game but probably won't play it again for health reasons.

Deadly

Just finished it myself. Since I finished both games over the weekend the first was still quite fresh in my mind. I was scared shitless when you
revisited the Ishimura

The plasma cutter was incredibly nerfed but other weapons were made better so it made you alternate weapons a lot more than in the first one. The force cannon for one actually felt powerful. Also the javelin gun was an awesome weapon.

In terms of horror though, the first game trumps this one easily. There was just this eerie feeling about the ship that the Sprawl didn't have.

Sohter.Nura said:
Got to chapter 13 of the game on Zealot difficulty and it has been a lot of fun.

The game is not a classic, but it has been pretty fun, I'll give it a 8/10.

I think the part where Dead Space 2 misses the mark is how "fun" it is to kill things.

My main objective in the entire game is basically to keep going forward, and playing it through the second time (and in 1/3 of the time as well :p) I don't feel like the game takes full advantage of its own gameplay.

Killing could be a lot of fun, but in rare circumstances I feel like it becomes gratifying or satisfying. I think the combat in this game is almost too strategic, every room you go into you need a plan, and while that is actually one of the strengths of the game, at times you just want to shoot baddies and the way the spawns are setup and how enemies move it doesn't exactly allow for that.

On that same note, while combat is perhaps not as gratifying as some other TPS, I really enjoy the game for what it is. I think the developers decided to make combat "less fun" and make the enemies harder and more threatening instead. It creates more atmosphere and more sense of panicking, but it takes a little toll in how satisfying the whole experience is.

I don't know. I mean, I get where you're coming from, but at the same time I felt kind of like I was on my way to experiencing what Isaac was, you know? (For better or worse :p)

You should try playing on easy or normal after Zealot - enemies drop if you even think of aiming at them..

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
how in the hell do I beat the final boss?!:

So I'm laying it on pretty thick with my rifle, she disappears I start shooting the heart, but then those fucking kids....I can barely make it through 2 rounds before I get swarmed. And they don't drop enough health for you to charge back up to take another beating. So my question is do I lay it on the girl and take the hits from the kids while I move around a bunch? Shoot up the kids until I get a little bit of time to shoot her? Or try some special combination.

The only weapons I have are the cutter/rifle/line/flame

tsigo

wenis said:

So I'm laying it on pretty thick with my rifle, she disappears I start shooting the heart, but then those fucking kids....I can barely make it through 2 rounds before I get swarmed. And they don't drop enough health for you to charge back up to take another beating. So my question is do I lay it on the girl and take the hits from the kids while I move around a bunch? Shoot up the kids until I get a little bit of time to shoot her? Or try some special combination.

There are a ton of ways to do it.

The basic strategy is shoot Nicole until the heart of the marker is fully visible, then shoot the heart until it explodes, and then repeat. If you damage it to exploding each time it takes 3 rounds of this.

My first playthrough I used Line Gun's alt fire on Nicole and then Plasma (or just about anything will do) on the heart. Place the alt fire directly in front of her, stasis her and then just back up a bit. The single explosion will expose the heart and probably kill a bunch of the pack at the same time. That was super easy. I was messing with the Pulse Rifle like you until I changed it up. Ignore the pack. Nicole is vulnerable almost immediately after the heart explodes.

On Zealot I used the Contact Beam's alt fire to expose the heart and then the primary to destroy it. Did the same thing on Hard Core because it worked so well.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
a Master Ninja said:
What's the verdict on Severed? Any good? Can you New Game+ it?

Here's the thread for it, but I'm not sure anyone has finished it yet.

Re New Game+ and Severed: you can New Game+ it. Hardcore is locked until you finish your first play-through (as was the main game). You cannot start a play-through of Severed from a old save of the main game - they start up as separate options under "New Game".

Purchased DLC and the Hardcore Foam Hand Gun can be used immediately in Severed without having to finish one play-through of the latter.

Deadly said:
Is it me or does the actor that voices Isaac sound like Tom Cruise?

omg yeah. Everytime he spoke I'd think, "man, Tom Cruise would be perfect to play Isaac" and everytime I saw his face I'd think, "man, Tom Cruise would be absolutely terrible to play Isaac."

Tom Cruise would indeed be terrible but the voice is spot on

tsigo

luxarific said:

Re New Game+ and Severed: you can New Game+ it. Hardcore is locked until you finish your first play-through (as was the main game). You cannot start a play-through of Severed from a old save of the main game - they start up as separate options under "New Game".

Purchased DLC and the Hardcore Foam Hand Gun can be used immediately in Severed without having to finish one play-through of the latter.

Haha, I don't know if I'll be able to resist going through the first time with the Hand Cannon and just obliterating the DLC.

wenis said:

what are you playing on? if you're playing on anything above normal i wouldn't ignore the
kids at all. remember one rifle bullet = one dead kid.

you can do it in 3 rounds with a fully charged plasma cutter. also, if you kill all but one of the
kids
it seems like you won't get a swarm again for a while.

make sure you aren't being overwhelmed before you
take down nicole
and make sure you reload all your weapons first!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
plagiarize said:
what are you playing on? if you're playing on anything above normal i wouldn't ignore the
kids at all. remember one rifle bullet = one dead kid.

you can do it in 3 rounds with a fully charged plasma cutter. also, if you kill all but one of the
kids
it seems like you won't get a swarm again for a while.

make sure you aren't being overwhelmed before you
take down nicole
and make sure you reload all your weapons first!

I just beat the game using tsigo's strat, but thanks though! :)

So yeah, that ending. I feel pretty good about it. Now time to have some fun in New Game+

Sort of considering picking up Severed...Also considering using my $20 Amazon credit to pick up Extraction. Is Extraction definitely better on Wii? Is it still worth playing at this point?

ToyMachine228 said:
Sort of considering picking up Severed...Also considering using my $20 Amazon credit to pick up Extraction. Is Extraction definitely better on Wii? Is it still worth playing at this point?

I've played Extraction on both Wii and PS3 and I really don't see a difference between the two. Both the Move and the Wii remote work well IMO. If you like rail shooters and you like Dead Space you'll probably like Extraction... I don't think I'd want to spend $20 on it, though.

todahawk

StunandStab said:
I've played Extraction on both Wii and PS3 and I really don't see a difference between the two. Both the Move and the Wii remote work well IMO. If you like rail shooters and you like Dead Space you'll probably like Extraction... I don't think I'd want to spend $20 on it, though.

Besides the HD update?

greenjerk said:
Besides the HD update?

Well yeah the PS3 version is HD but that really is the only change as far as I could tell. It has been a long time since I played the Wii version, though, maybe they made other changes I am not aware of.

codecow

MrPliskin said:
I've been trying to milk this out of the Community team on FB for ages now, and it seems that they're really mum on the whole thing.

All I'm curious about is if Move support for the game will ever be a possibility. I really see no reason (at all) for any lack of a confirmation one way or the other. Anyway you could get in touch with any of those guy's and just say "hey, tell them it's never going to be a possibility".

At least then I won't have it sitting in the back of my mind when I'm enjoying how fantastic KZ3 is with move, thinking "Man, Dead Space 2 would be phenomenal with this".

Thanks in advance :p

Someone (maybe here) had asked whether they should wait for a Move announcement or get the game now and my answer was that if I was them and I wanted to play Dead Space 2, I would buy it and play it now.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
StunandStab said:

Platinum trophy man :)

I actually played Extraction with the DS3 controller. I know, crazy, but I think it actually made it easier with the melee spam.

Wario64 said:
Platinum trophy man :)

I actually played Extraction with the DS3 controller. I know, crazy, but I think it actually made it easier with the melee spam.

I Platinumed the game myself just three days ago, it was fun, took me like two days. :)

What is this melee spam you speak of? I played the whole thing with Move, never tried using the DS3.

Scarecrow

luxarific said:

How can you play Hard Core mode? I tried after beating it and it said HC mode wasn't applicable to Severed.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
StunandStab said:
I Platinumed the game myself just three days ago, it was fun, took me like two days. :)

What is this melee spam you speak of? I played the whole thing with Move, never tried using the DS3.

Well with Move, I think you have to do the motions to do melee. On DS3, you just hit L2. So you can just constantly spam L2 while you're shooting and stuff. Makes the challenges so much easier too.

Wario64 said:
Well with Move, I think you have to do the motions to do melee. On DS3, you just hit L2. So you can just constantly spam L2 while you're shooting and stuff. Makes the challenges so much easier too.

So you can melee and shoot at the same time? lol that's pretty cool, that sure would make the challenges a lot easier. I'm glad I didn't waste any time on those challenges, though, the only one I had to do more than once was the first one. I don't think any of my scores were really spectacular, though, I got about 700,000 ish on one of them and that was my best.

jackdoe

Just beat Dead Space 2. While not as scary as DS1, it was just as tense. The Alien vs Aliens comparison really holds true here.

Top Bottom