• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Replicant

slopeslider said:
Where were your first 2 saves? What did you put your nodes into?
1st save: Beginning of chapter 7 before tripods elevator fights.
2nd save: Beginning of chapter 10 before 2 brutes and lotsa Necros in open area.

Nodes: I first fully upgraded my rig/stasis concurrently with putting 7 nodes towards Contact Beam's SPEC node. I knew it'd save my ass. My Force Gun is Zealot so it's already strong with just 1-2 additional nodes. I use the rest of the nodes to upgrade my plasma cutter.

tassletine

Replicant said:
It's not his wife. It's his GF. If you haven't dealt with the loss of someone you love (whether through break up or death), then obviously you can't understand his pain. But most adults have been through the same thing Isaac went through, except without the psychosis and the crazy delusions from the marker. And fuck that, having to get over someone that you love is not easy. It really haunts you for a while and the game presents a rather realistic consequences from the loss of a person.

That's not the point I was making. I was talking about the fact that as a standalone game DS2 relies on events that happen outside of the game, events that happened in the first instalment. Worse than that it uses them as the main point in the drama.
Imagine if you saw Empire Strikes Back and Luke kept having flashbacks about his dead aunt and uncle. That's kind of how I feel about this.

My comparison to Madworld is about gameplay only. Madworld's story knows it's stupid. DS2 doesn't and comes off looking the worse for it.

Replicant said:
You're saying that seeing a human slitting his own throat has no dramatic impact? Well, for you maybe but I'm not cold stone person who can't feel pain on behalf of someone that I don't know well. A death is a death whether it's someone you know or not.

First of all that's not what I said. I said that seeing someone doing that in game DOES carry weight but seeing people act out dramas on a tiny screen that hovers in front of you does not.
Second, these aren't real people so a death is not a death. As your defence you seem to be talking about these NPC's as if they were real characters which is ludicrous. If you're trying to tell me that a game which revels in showing the player's death in the most comic way possible is actually trying to move me then ... I really don't know what to say.

Replicant said:
You must not like many games then because most games has that kind of format. All platformers has jumping around blocks of stuff, all adventures has some enemies to clear and areas to explore/puzzle to solve, and open world games well, pretty much just fucking around in an open world. It'd be like saying Mario games has nothing else to do but jumping around blocks and turtle's shell.

Yes but they have gameplay and locations that evolve as you play. For the entire length of dead space I was doing exactly the same thing over and over. It has less attack pattern variety than DOOM, which is pretty poor going if you ask me. The first game had a great set up and an atmosphere that felt real.
In DS2 the rooms seemed to be bolted onto each other with no real logic to them. A cryo lab leads me to a church? WTF?

Replicant said:
Extraction was a weak game. I don't want to be directed as to where I supposed to go within an already confined amount of space. So what if the amount of space I have is limited? I still want to explore every nook and cranny and gets surprised/shocked when an enemy drops in or I find a goody. If all you want is a railshooter, there are some railshooter games you can play. But don't ask Dead Space main series to become one.

DS2 directs you in a straight line so your comment makes little sense. In Extraction there are numerous hidden items, much like DS. Did you find them all? I didn't. I pretty much found everything in DS2 so I would say it's much more linear in that respect.

Replicant said:
Bleh. I HATE Resident Evil 4. Lame main character, lame pathetic villain, lack of genuine tension or scare. The most over-rated game from last generation and the reason why RE series is now in decline.

I'm not exactly sure how you can hate the game that DS is copying as they're very similar. I'd suggest you read books or watch movies if characters are what you care about primarily.

jett

D-Member
Just started the PC version. Goddamn it looks GOOD, it's quite an upgrade from the original, didn't get this impression from the PS3 demo. Too bad these consoles weren't made with 1080p in mind. :p

Anyway, apparently the latest patch makes a bunch of stuff free on the in-game store. Is this normal? Feels like I'm cheating.

Kazzy

Replicant said:
Yeah, I wonder about that. Or maybe
it doesn't actually die but as long as the fan keeps spinning, he's on a never-ending cycle of destruction and rebuild inside that fan. For eternity. BWAHAHAHA. I like the thought of that.

In other note, I managed to reach Chapter 13 for my last Hardcore save. It's the one before the
eyepoke machine
. YES, that Platinum and hand cannon are so mine.

Just remember that you DON'T have to boost at the final sequence, I was twitchy by the time I got there and died even though it's fairly innocuous in all fairness. Other than that the final section isn't hard, you can literally statis everything, I only had to heal a few times.

I only used the Plasma Cutter through Hardcore but lumped my final nodes into the Plasma Rifle because of the final boss.

Just finished this last night and wow, that was one hell of a ride enjoyed every bit of it.
clocked in around 13 hours, I like to look around a lot :p, did Survivalist, apart from the last few chapters it was fairly easy going.

Few Spoilers...
The part where your putting the surgical needle in your eye, I wasn't exactly sure what I was supposed to be doing and I was leaning fairly close to the screen, then Bam my eye just exploded and Isaac starts screaming scared the shit out of me... I think I did it wrong lol.
The ending as well where once again your escaping, intense moment sitting in the pilot seat... looks over the passenger seat waiting for something to happen.. "What?!?!", that was a nice touch.

Overall it was amazing, easily put it in my top 5 for this gen, just need to finish off the last few Achievements now.

Roscoe

Neo Member
CadaveriaIX said:
Overall it was amazing, easily put it in my top 5 for this gen, just need to finish off the last few Achievements now.

Altman and visceral be praised.

So did you run through on survivalist on your first playthrough?

Roscoe said:
Altman and visceral be praised.

So did you run through on survivalist on your first playthrough?

Sure did, I almost did Zealot but I thought that might be a little overkill :p, mainly used The
Javelin Gun (loved the alt for this), Detonator,
are new weapons spoilers?, Ripper, and Plasma.
Had a quick glance at some of the achievements prior to playing but didn't read up on them or look at any guides, just played it and experimented with all the new weapons till I found my favorites. Survivalist on a clean save felt just right the entire time was a nice challenge, didn't really start dying till the last couple of chapters.
It was just a very satisfying experience.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jett said:
Anyway, apparently the latest patch makes a bunch of stuff free on the in-game store. Is this normal? Feels like I'm cheating.
Nope, they gave 15$ of costume pack DLC to PC for free because some guy released a cracked saved that had it all (it was in the games files).

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
Oh god hardcore is giving me grey hairs. It took me a couple of tries to get to my first save(late chapter 5). Then I've been trying to make it to chapter 10 all day.

First try: I get bisected by one of the closing airlocks (when windows get shot out) in chapter 7. It's the room where the security beams activate when you get into the middle of the room and will detonate one of the conveniently placed exploding canisters next to the shattering window. And of course i miss the shot to close the window. (Lesson learned: kinesis those canisters away from the window before the lasers activate)

Second try: I die to the scripted tripod in the church!? Wow my aim was off.

Third try: Get to a room in chapter 8 where one of those exploding arm guys drops in next to one of the shattering windows and i accidentally blew him up, and was too close to the window to even try to close it.

Fourth try: finally made it.

In conclusion, fuck shattering windows :mad:

Draft

Stallion Free said:
Nope, they gave 15$ of costume pack DLC to PC for free because some guy released a cracked saved that had it all (it was in the games files).
:lol

The audacity of these guys with the DLC. A bunch of reskinned guns and armor for $15. Two recycled levels with some extra voice acting and a custom helmet for $7.

Did Antony Johnston not write the script for Dead Space 2? That would explain why it felt like the weakest script thus far, by a good amount too.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
No he didn't, which was odd cause he wrote multiple DS works.
That's a real shame, and it kind of makes me want to say that Dead Space 2 isn't canon. :( Did he at least write the DLC episode? I haven't played it yet. Hopefully he returns for Dead Space 3
and retcons Dead Space 2.

I left a question on the FB page asking why Antony Johnston wasn't returning, but it seems Lord Steve saw fit not to answer it ;)

Though, I don't think the script was weak. I quite enjoyed the story and thought it pretty strong.

GuessWho

Game was good, but way overhyped. I absoultely loved DS1, but this one was sorely lacking in bosses. What the hell...How can you remove that from the game. Last boss fight was so stupid, you can tell they really ran out of ideas. Overall great game though.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I left a question on the FB page asking why Antony Johnston wasn't returning, but it seems Lord Steve saw fit not to answer it ;)

Though, I don't think the script was weak. I quite enjoyed the story and thought it pretty strong.
Dead Space's script was good enough, but I really enjoyed the comics he wrote (I've only watched the animated comics) and Dead Space: Extraction. Dead Space 2's script felt off to me from the very beginning. Having Issac speak definitely changed things, for better or worse. Conceptually, the script had some great ideas, but the execution was inadequate (I wonder what involvement Antony Johnston had, if any). The secondary characters were on the annoying side (Nolan and Tiedemann) and poorly written (Ellie). The weakest aspect of the script was the relationship between Issac and Nicole. Admittedly, Dead Space didn't really make me care much for either one of them. I had more of an attachment to the cast of Dead Space: Extraction.
GuessWho said:
Game was good, but way overhyped. I absoultely loved DS1, but this one was sorely lacking in bosses. What the hell...How can you remove that from the game. Last boss fight was so stupid, you can tell they really ran out of ideas. Overall great game though.
I preferred the more climactic action sequences in Dead Space 2.
The train and ejection seat sequences were great.
I'm not sure what they were thinking with the last encounter, though.

Replicant

tassletine said:
That's not the point I was making. I was talking about the fact that as a standalone game DS2 relies on events that happen outside of the game, events that happened in the first instalment. Worse than that it uses them as the main point in the drama.

Well, it is a *sequel* to the first one. But IMO the game provided enough background story to fill in those who didn't play DS.

Imagine if you saw Empire Strikes Back and Luke kept having flashbacks about his dead aunt and uncle. That's kind of how I feel about this.

That argument has a hole the size of black hole. Because in Return of the Jedi, you need to have seen Empire Strikes Back to understand what happened to Solo.

Second, these aren't real people so a death is not a death. As your defence you seem to be talking about these NPC's as if they were real characters which is ludicrous. If you're trying to tell me that a game which revels in showing the player's death in the most comic way possible is actually trying to move me then ... I really don't know what to say.

A death doesn't necessarily have to move you but depending on the person, one might have enough sympathy to see the desperation that these characters are in.

Yes but they have gameplay and locations that evolve as you play. For the entire length of dead space I was doing exactly the same thing over and over.

LOL WAT? I just saw my little brother played the new Donkey Kong. The only variation that game offered was the different levels background. Everything else remains the same. You still jump, avoid traps/holes, get bananas, etc. The entire time you do the same thing. Ditto with Mario games, ditto with any other games. Because Kingdom 2-1 is not exactly different from Kingdom 1-1 just because it is now taking place in an area with different color palette.

And I supposed RE4's villages are all different. Oh wait, same crazy villagers, same pitchforks, same rundown houses, I actually felt that I was running around in circles in RE4 because everything looks similar. At least DS2 makes it clear that you are indeed, running around in circles due to the situation your character is facing.

In DS2 the rooms seemed to be bolted onto each other with no real logic to them. A cryo lab leads me to a church? WTF?

What cryo lab lead to church? Wait, Cryo lab? Where? The previous area before you reached the Church was the apartment area and the shopping mall. It makes perfect sense that in designing the area, the original architect placed a Church adjacent to an area where most people live and shop. There was a hospital when you started but you need to take a train to go from there to the shopping mall area.

DS2 directs you in a straight line so your comment makes little sense. In Extraction there are numerous hidden items, much like DS. Did you find them all? I didn't. I pretty much found everything in DS2 so I would say it's much more linear in that respect.

LOL. Got the trophy for that particular Extraction lame-ass hidden items. It's not so much hidden more like it's inconveniently located that you have to press button quickly to go there. If you like being herd like a sheep in a rush then be my guest.

I'm not exactly sure how you can hate the game that DS is copying as they're very similar. I'd suggest you read books or watch movies if characters are what you care about primarily.

Yeah, this is exactly why I called RE4 over-rated. The gameplay mechanic many people touted as "inspired by RE4" has been used on many other games pre-RE4. However, for some reason that game got all the credit for that kind of mechanic. I do read books and watch movies but I expect my game to be as equally interesting in story and character department so lines like "OH ASHLEY!" or "LEON, HELP!" do not exactly inspired me to care for the character. Moreover, not when it's delivered with the acting style of a 10 year old.

Watanabe Kazuma said:
Just remember that you DON'T have to boost at the final sequence, I was twitchy by the time I got there and died even though it's fairly innocuous in all fairness. Other than that the final section isn't hard, you can literally statis everything, I only had to heal a few times.

Fuck that shit. I died 2 times on that final sequence after the boss on Hardcore. It's my fault though for playing on my small, non-HD TV. I couldn't see where the edges of the debris were located. I started again on the living room HDTV today and completed it.

Hard to the core, baby! And oh, R1 to bang bang and R2 to pew pew pew is awesome. Real Space, real terror, real foam. Indeed. I finally have my 4th platinum.

Raul_Atreides said:
First try: I get bisected by one of the closing airlocks (when windows get shot out) in chapter 7. It's the room where the security beams activate when you get into the middle of the room and will detonate one of the conveniently placed exploding canisters next to the shattering window. And of course i miss the shot to close the window. (Lesson learned: kinesis those canisters away from the window before the lasers activate)

My suggestion: shoot the window first before you enter that room (by standing in the adjacent room). You wouldn't get sucked into the window because you are too far away.

Third try: Get to a room in chapter 8 where one of those exploding arm guys drops in next to one of the shattering windows and i accidentally blew him up, and was too close to the window to even try to close it.

I think that's Chapter 9. And yes, that one is difficult. There are two ways to do it better but both still have the chances of you dying. The first one is to go over to the left area, far far back and shoot the window yourself. You'll still get sucked but you have ample of opportunities to close the window. The second one is to shoot the window first while you're inside the lift. If you do this, you only have a few seconds to shoot the failsafe BUT because the area is tighter, your aim is usually always focused on that failsafe instead of elsewhere to the left or to the right.

In conclusion, fuck shattering windows :mad:

I concur.

AlStrong

Replicant said:
What cryo lab lead to church? Wait, Cryo lab?

He means the demo level with the cryo-storage. There's a sermon being given that explains the cryo-storage right before you head up to the elevator to the start of chapter 5. It's about as obvious as it gets unless one didn't notice the cryo-tube that looks like a coffin while the recorded sermon was playing in the background.

Replicant

AlStrong said:
He means the demo level with the cryo-storage. There's a sermon being given that explains the cryo-storage right before you head up to the elevator to the start of chapter 5. It's about as obvious as it gets unless one didn't notice the cryo-tube that looks like a coffin while the recorded sermon was playing in the background.

Oh that. That was a part of the Church. Didn't you even see the expensive coffins laying around in the area after that? Since the Unitology's promise was "There's life after death", it makes sense that they frozen some of their crazy members there in case of resurrection. I thought that was great and in keeping with Unitology's crazy idea of life after death.

AlStrong

Replicant said:
Oh that. That was a part of the Church. Didn't you even see the expensive coffins laying around in the area after that? Since the Unitology's promise was "There's life after death", it makes sense that they frozen some of their crazy members there in case of resurrection. I thought that was great and in keeping with Unitology's crazy idea of life after death.

Something tells me tassletine has no interest in actually paying attention to all the data logs or the audio recordings or all the little clues that go a long way to explain the background... Just wants spoon fed material.

A scoring system? Come ooooooooon. :p

Replicant

AlStrong said:
Something tells me tassletine has no interest in paying attention to all the data logs or the audio recordings or all the little clues that go a long way to explain the background...

Obviously. Or he's one of those people who can't be bothered to use deductive logic while understanding the plot and the things that you encounter as you navigate the game. Then they complain because the game doesn't spoonfed them all the infos.

tassletine said:

I'm completely lost on your posts here. Were you hoping for a Deadspace racing game or something?

Your posts really do look like they are written by someone that not only hasn't played this game, but hasn't played any of the games. This is a sequel dude, a continuation of the story behind Issac and the shit he's going through. Surely you get that? Do you know why all this shit is going down? Do you understand what the Marker is about and why is girlfriend is 'still' around?

Do you realise that by adding a scoring system to DS, you have just completely ruined the whole game? It's like trying to fit a square into a circle.. it just doesn't fit.

AlStrong

MarkMclovin said:
Do you realise that by adding a scoring system to DS, you have just completely ruined the whole game? It's like trying to fit a square into a circle.. it just doesn't fit.

No no, the devs were all wrong. They should have copied Bulletstorm or The Club. AAA story & game mechanics. The game would have been much more terrifying and horrific.

Wiggum2007

Say what you want about how well developed Isaac's character and story is in DS2, but god damn if they didn't fucking nail it with his VA, so good.

AlStrong said:
No no, the devs were all wrong. They should have copied Bulletstorm or The Club. AAA story & game mechanics. The game would have been much more terrifying and horrific.

Those motherfuckers! THAT'S why it didn't get a 10.

TTP said:
Hey guys, to those interested about the PS3/Move version of Dead Space Extraction, I've just published a two parts video analysis here.

First part covers the game (how it plays/controls etc)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alDmAIojU9I

Second part is an addendum examining how it compares to the original Wii version (you don't want to miss the ending of this one ;))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlGJA5VRM0g

After watching that I don't want to play the PS3 version anymore....great editing TTP !

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
StevePharma said:
After watching that I don't want to play the PS3 version anymore....great editing TTP !

ahahah indeed.

By the way, anyone spotted/translated the secret message yet? :)
(It's at 6:30 in the 2nd vid)

Just finished it a little while ago. A decent sequel. The story was underwhelming to me, especially in how it dealt with Isaac's trauma and mental anguish. One of my stranger experiences is that although it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot to Ellie but I actually kind of liked her
(to the point where I actually reacted to Isaac forcing her to take off in the gunship)

It was fun to run through for the most part, but some of the swarm fights go on for longer than they need to. I also hate that enemies would appear behind Isaac.

With that said, bring on part three.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Always-honest said:
playing this game right now. HOOly shit, great game. Looks a lot better than the first one.

Despite my feelings on its story, Dead Space 2 is indeed a really well-done game with a handful of improvements. If anything, I commend Visceral for the effort and love that went into producing it.

Replicant

Wiggum2007 said:
Say what you want about how well developed Isaac's character and story is in DS2, but god damn if they didn't fucking nail it with his VA, so good.

Absolutely. Gunner Wright is to Isaac Clarke just like Nolan North is to Nathan Drake. Perfect casting.

I have been thinking on what could be improved on the 3rd one. Here are my suggestions:

1. Please let us skip the cut scenes. There's nothing more agonizing than playing Hardcore all the way to Chapter 5, died, and having to restart from the beginning. But have some mercy and don't force us to watch the same cut scenes over and over again.

2. One-hit-kill. I have big reservations about this. I know why they are there but to die due to accidental window compression after playing for 2+ hours is just not fun. How about reducing the amount of health to minimum, which would kill you unless you heal immediately?

3. Item organization. Please let us organize the items the way we want to or at least let us group items together. For example, the suits and weapons that you get are scattered all over the place in your safe when you change them. And next time, please be careful with the QA. The Zealot Vs. Security suit bug was kinda annoying.

4. Other characters to save. Hmm, maybe this is veering a bit close to Dead Rising but I thought it'd be nice if you can save some people as you travel from areas to areas. More variety to the areas instead of running around in the same place twice. Blu-ray disc is there for a reason. Fill it up!

5. Extra, extras! I wish there are more extras for completing the harder difficulty level apart from a new suit and new weapon. How about behind the scenes videos with the actors? Video of the mo-cap process? See Uncharted series for the kind of extras you can unlock after you complete a difficulty level.

6. Isaac's gruesome deaths. Now that he has a face and a rather detailed background story, I'm kind of protective of him and was highly disturbed every time I got one of those gruesome deaths. But I understand why others may like them. Maybe an option not to see them from the option menu? :p

Replicant said:
6. Isaac's gruesome deaths. Now that he has a face and a rather detailed background story, I'm kind of protective of him and was highly disturbed every time I got one of those gruesome deaths. But I understand why others may like them. Maybe an option not to see them from the option menu? :p
Maybe an option to MAN UP BRO.
The Nicole parts were worse than any death scene, and the DS1 final boss death scene was the best in the series.
I don't recommend you watch Saving Private Ryan.

Replicant

slopeslider said:
Maybe an option to MAN UP BRO.
The Nicole parts were worse than any death scene, and the DS1 final boss death scene was the best in the series.
I don't recommend you watch Saving Private Ryan.

I find that my reaction on visceral death differs from character to character. If it's a character I don't give two-hoots about, then by all means bring on the deaths. That's why I like Mortal Kombat series. I can fatality almost everyone in that series and not blink an eye. But I supposed that's an incentive to work harder to keep Isaac out of harm's way.

As for Nicole, I want to know why they changed the actress. Maybe the old one doesn't look scary enough?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Always-honest said:
playing this game right now. HOOly shit, great game. Looks a lot better than the first one.

edit: haha, awesome vid TTP!!

But GAF, I am disappoint. I've put a secret message in there for you to chuckle and you have yet to find it. Come on! :D

jett

D-Member
Finished the PC version.

A really awesome game, I put the single player campaign up there with some of the best this gen. And it looks FUCKING GREAT, really much better than the first one. Excellent use of lighting.

Replicant said:
I find that my reaction on visceral death differs from character to character. If it's a character I don't give two-hoots about, then by all means bring on the deaths. That's why I like Mortal Kombat series. I can fatality almost everyone in that series and not blink an eye. But I supposed that's an incentive to work harder to keep Isaac out of harm's way.

As for Nicole, I want to know why they changed the actress. Maybe the old one doesn't look scary enough?
pause -> reload last checkpoint. that's how you skip them.

Replicant

Just found this. I thought it's pretty amusing. "Necros On My Plane" should be a DLC title.

aawrxk.jpg

Skullkid

I'm going through the game on hardocore mode after finishing on the lower difficulties. Thanks to Visceral games for making an awesome sequel to one of my favorite games. Hardcore mode is pretty intense and a few of the "surprise" moments actually made me jump because of the risk of dying and starting over.

My first save was in Ch 5 before the dragging sequence, where most people seem to save. My second save was in Ch 9 just before you call the tram. I just couldn't risk it anymore since on my last attempt I died from the two elite enemies that appear just after you call the tram. I was blasting one when the other appeared behind me and after two quick swipes I was dead, even with full heath. I just sat there staring at the screen for a while.

Gonna try later to make it to Ch 13 and save just before the reddish 3 floor room where you get rushed by lots of enemies. I usually have bad luck at that part. The last section isn't too bad with an upgraded Contact beam alt fire.

bubnbob

Banned
Yesss an Alone in the Dark nod.

FUCK YOU! AND FUCK YOUR MARKER TOO!

It was fun to run through for the most part, but some of the swarm fights go on for longer than they need to. I also hate that enemies would appear behind Isaac.

Also this this this so this.

Roscoe

Neo Member
Skullkid said:
Gonna try later to make it to Ch 13 and save just before the reddish 3 floor room where you get rushed by lots of enemies. I usually have bad luck at that part. The last section isn't too bad with an upgraded Contact beam alt fire.

That three tiered room you can just sprint through. Only a couple necros might follow you through the vents. I highly recommend it.

1. Please let us skip the cut scenes. There's nothing more agonizing than playing Hardcore all the way to Chapter 5, died, and having to restart from the beginning. But have some mercy and don't force us to watch the same cut scenes over and over again.

With all the stuff Dead Space borrowed from RE4, you think this would make the cut. It's the biggest reason why RE4 is so damn replayable for me - 99.9% of non-playable sections can be skipped with no load times. That's how you fucking do it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Congrats to the Visceral team for the great sales in February. Hopefully this means that DS3 will definitely see the light of day.

To add to Replicant's list, I'd love to be able to rotate the camera during "cutscene" sequences. There were only a few instances, IIRC, where you can rotate the camera to see Issac's face when he's talking. The one that most clearly comes to mind is when he
sees the Marker for the first time and says "I made that?".
You can rotate the camera around to see his face which gives that scene a little bit more of an emotional impact. Unfortunately there were a lot of scenes were the camera viewpoint was locked - you were only going to see that scene from one perspective(
e.g., the confrontation in the Church; the conversation with Ellie on top of the drill; when Nicole grabs Issac by the neck.
) It would be great if we could get an option to unlock the camera after the first play through. There are very good reasons for locking the camera so we're primarily looking over Issac's shoulder the vast majority of the time, but IMO, I think that a lot of these in-game story sequences would have a greater emotional impact if I could see the face of the character.

Replicant

The Xtortionist said:
With all the stuff Dead Space borrowed from RE4, you think this would make the cut. It's the biggest reason why RE4 is so damn replayable for me - 99.9% of non-playable sections can be skipped with no load times. That's how you fucking do it.

The problem with RE4's cutscenes is that some of them are actually videos so that the flow from the video to the gameplay is not smooth. On top of this, it's really jarring when you've given Leon a new suit to use (as opposed to the default one) and yet the video shows Leon wearing the default suit. It'd be great if Visceral can find a way to make the cutscenes skippable. But most importantly, I want the flow to remain as smooth as it is on DS2 and Isaac is always shown wearing whatever suit we chose for him even in cutscenes.

Another thing that I must praise or pointed out is the excellent voice acting in DS2. Everyone sounds natural and sooo good. It's a rarity to hear such good voice acting in a video game. Everyone from the opening's narrator to Isaac to Ellie and other supporting characters are so good that the VA quality is equal or as good as Uncharted 2. The incredulous tone in Isaac's voice when Ellie thought that she's the one who fixed the drill was amusing. I wonder why most video acting quality can't be like DS2/Uncharted 2.

tassletine

Replicant said:
Well, it is a *sequel* to the first one. But IMO the game provided enough background story to fill in those who didn't play DS.

That argument has a hole the size of black hole. Because in Return of the Jedi, you need to have seen Empire Strikes Back to understand what happened to Solo.

A death doesn't necessarily have to move you but depending on the person, one might have enough sympathy to see the desperation that these characters are in.

LOL WAT? I just saw my little brother played the new Donkey Kong. The only variation that game offered was the different levels background. Everything else remains the same. You still jump, avoid traps/holes, get bananas, etc. The entire time you do the same thing. Ditto with Mario games, ditto with any other games. Because Kingdom 2-1 is not exactly different from Kingdom 1-1 just because it is now taking place in an area with different color palette.

And I supposed RE4's villages are all different. Oh wait, same crazy villagers, same pitchforks, same rundown houses, I actually felt that I was running around in circles in RE4 because everything looks similar. At least DS2 makes it clear that you are indeed, running around in circles due to the situation your character is facing.

What cryo lab lead to church? Wait, Cryo lab? Where? The previous area before you reached the Church was the apartment area and the shopping mall. It makes perfect sense that in designing the area, the original architect placed a Church adjacent to an area where most people live and shop. There was a hospital when you started but you need to take a train to go from there to the shopping mall area.

You seem to reacting to me like I hated the game, which I didn't. You also seem to be missing the points I was making.

The game is fun. Lets get that straight.

If you think the gameplay or locations are varied then you are flat out wrong. Pointing to Donkey Kong to back up your argument is not addressing the problems this game has, which is mainly that for a sequel so long in development it feels like an expansion pack. Resident Evil 5 suffered the same problem and was lambasted for it. I don't like that game at all either, so lets not go there.
Maybe you only played the beginning of Resident Evil 4? There are quite a few more locations than the village and many more enemy types than in Dead Space.

DS2 takes it's story very seriously but at the same time offers no engaging characters, or even takes the time to introduce them properly. They are all stock cuts outs. If this was supposed to be tied into the first game so tightly then why has Isaac's character changed significantly? Why does the girl want to risk her life for you when you have spent seconds together previously? How come she can pilot the craft back to save Isaac but couldn't manage it when Isaac undocked the ship initially? It's just badly written.
I want action in a game but I have to put up with a badly acted characters getting all introspective and weepy -- But then HEY! None of that matters -- Lets just suit up and kill!

I've only played a couple of video games myself that have stories worth repeating.This one was highly derivative as it's basically Doom. So when a sequel arrives that doesn't evolve on that concept how else am I supposed to react? It's a copy of a game that was a copy of a copy. I've heard the story dozens of times before and I've played the game dozens of times before. Why should I care if the makers don't?

tassletine

Replicant said:
Another thing that I must praise or pointed out is the excellent voice acting in DS2. Everyone sounds natural and sooo good. It's a rarity to hear such good voice acting in a video game. Everyone from the opening's narrator to Isaac to Ellie and other supporting characters are so good that the VA quality is equal or as good as Uncharted 2. The incredulous tone in Isaac's voice when Ellie thought that she's the one who fixed the drill was amusing. I wonder why most video acting quality can't be like DS2/Uncharted 2.

I think this sums up our differences with the game. I thought the acting in DS2 was poor to say the least. Almost all video game acting is. It was good for a video game but it has nothing to do with how people express emotions in real life. This was more like Skyline or the Walking Dead.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
tassletine said:
I've heard the story dozens of times before and I've played the game dozens of times before.

Agreed. DS2 didn't expand outwards enough from the first game and most of the new ideas were cool set pieces like the
eyeball needle or space catapult. Story wise it was painfully trite. Did anybody not predict that Ellie would swoop in at the end? It started off great with an interesting scenario but it just treaded water for the middle 12 chapters before wrapping everything up as predictably as possible.
Did those awful moments where the mask shutters down and the weepy violin music kicks in actually affect anyone? There was nothing to latch onto, they gave Isaac a voice but pretty much all he did was vocalise the 'fuck you's' we were all thinking during the first game. The fundamentals of the combat were still brilliantly entertaining but what surrounded them was quite disappointing.

Dyno

Draft said:
:lol

The audacity of these guys with the DLC. A bunch of reskinned guns and armor for $15. Two recycled levels with some extra voice acting and a custom helmet for $7.

I'll agree with the guns and armour DLC but I think you're too dismissive of Severed. I finished it last night and thought it was bloody amazing!

I don't mind they re-used levels because for me it acted like an experiment: what would an alternate Dead Space spin-off that was more fighting and less puzzles look like? Severed is the answer and I think there is room for it. The fights were just fucking awesome, some of the most heart-attack inducing encounters ever. Some would start and stop in five second flat and leave me stunned. "What the fuck just happened in front of my eyes!"

I loved the voice acting. I think it was that same guy who is an officer on the last Star Trek franchise. That crisp British accent went really well with Gabe Weller the soldier.

Another thing I loved
was those Men in White at the end. Big question marks and a neat addition to the over-all story. Making necomorph controlling babies or something? Nice!

My only gripe is
that Gabe died! He was a great character and I thought he would be great in a full length Dead Space spin-off for the reasons I mentioned above. I really liked him but I guess that was the point, it makes the whole experience that more impactful.

Severed gave me a great night of gaming and I'll play it again one more time with different weapons. It might not be the most value-added purchase I've made but I'm still really happy I got it.

Top Bottom