• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

TTP said:

But GAF, I am disappoint. I've put a secret message in there for you to chuckle and you have yet to find it. Come on! :D
it's very hard for m to pause at the right time in youtube... and the moments are very short..
the last letters are almost invisible for me
the marker is not a shar.....

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Always-honest said:
it's very hard for m to pause at the right time in youtube... and the moments are very short..
the last letters are almost invisible for me
the marker is not a shar.....

Well, yeah, you should theoretically download the video to go to the relevant frame.

I'll make it easier tho ;)

Edit - But I see you got it. You don't really need to read the last letters to understand what it says

NmmGd.jpg

TTP said:
Well, yeah, you should theoretically download the video to go to the relevant frame.

I'll make it easier tho ;)

Edit - But I see you got it. You don't really need to read the last letters to understand what it says
haha, fuck, i just noticed the topic title... :p
First i thought i was smart, now i feel stupid :( :p

Skullkid

Roscoe said:
That three tiered room you can just sprint through. Only a couple necros might follow you through the vents. I highly recommend it.

Thanks, I'll try it. I died last night in Ch 10 while playing at mid-health (not smart). After a missed stasis and quick swipe by an enemy I was dead. I must complete this mode so I can go "pew pew". :)

vermadas

I finished the game today. I think, overall, I enjoyed it more than the original Dead Space. That said, I agree with others that the first two thirds of the game were the best. My favorite part about Dead Space is the atmosphere. The last few chapters put too much of a focus on killing hordes of necromorphs.

I also thought the lack of
boss fights was kind of strange. Did people complain about them in the original? I didn't think they were offensive

I think they handled the
regenerator asshole
a lot better in the first game also.

I'm not sure if I'd buy a Dead Space 3 or not. The games kind of stress me out and I can only handle them in small doses at a time, despite the fact I find them generally enjoyable.

Replicant

Obviously I suffer from Dead Space 2's withdrawal because for some reason I feel like I want to complete the rest of the trophies on the original Dead Space (I was only up to 59% completion when I left the game).

Much to my disappointment, I don't actually enjoy the first Dead Space anymore. The control feels stiff and unresponsive in comparison to the 2nd one. Moreover, whatever scare I felt when I first played it is no longer there. So now I don't understand those who said the 1st was scarier than the 2nd one. Once you know all the Necros by their name/type of attack, you know how to dispatch them easily. The only feeling I have when I got killed is just annoyance and how to exact revenge on that shitty Necro who killed me the last time.

On the other hand "Impossible" mode on this game is more bearable than "Hardcore" on the Dead Space 2. At least if you die, you'll just go back to the last checkpoint not all the way to the start. In reverse, I miss all of the nice-looking suits and the beautiful environments from the 2nd one.

So, I spent $40 and got myself a GT240 for my HTPC and decided -- I'm going to try PC gaming again even though this card really is supposed to be an HTPC card and bullocks for games...

To my shock and awe, I started Dead Space 2 and I'm able to play it silky smooth on my home theatre in 1080p on the highest detail level... on a $40 video card and it looked much better than the PS3 visuals I'm used to there.

A little switch went off in my head after I got my PS3 controller working fine to play this in big comfy couch mode just swimmingly. It's like this console gen just died for me.

$40 video card in a relatively low spec PC that up until this point has been a Ubuntu/XBMC box.

$40 video card... jesus.

Oh and Crysis 2 demo was smooth on "Gamer" in 720 as well. Didn't try bumping it up yet, but that shocked me equally.

vermadas said:
I'm not sure if I'd buy a Dead Space 3 or not. The games kind of stress me out and I can only handle them in small doses at a time, despite the fact I find them generally enjoyable.

This is exactly why I didn't run out and buy the PS3 version when it came out. I thought to myself, this game is just going to stress me out again...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Just finished the game, It's the biggest disappointment of this year so far for me, and the 2nd worse fuck up story wise after Killzone 3 story , both share some of the the faults too.

*sigh*

Rant

Story/events-wise, What the fuck is this bullshit?, Even Dead Space Ignition got better and more interesting story than this game, it's the bleh , this is just weak, it's like Visceral just farted and decided to make the most obvious C-rated horror game story ever, in all Dead Space related stuff ( including books and short films) this is the worst story by a mile.

Oh and hell even the supporting cast and the "villain" guy are freaking lame here, Dead Space Extraction got way, way more interesting and way more stronger cast than what in Dead Space 2, I just...I can't even understand what Visceral were trying to do here, I was ready for more actiony game sure, but that don't mean they should give us shitty story and cast like this.

Also speaking of less horror, did Visceral guys just gave up totally? , I know the the Necromorphs will attack me from the vents or the roof, and that stupid necromorphs on the floor playing sleep will jump and attack me and when I go to the other side of the line, it's the same tricks all the fucking game, all the way, seriously Visceral do something or anything new ,be creative ffs.

The pacing was all over the place too, game start very well,ironically first chapter was the best but to be fair the chapters from 2 to 6 were also very good and interesting,but then the game went to boring hell and uninterested locations , and I am not sure why they bring us back there again, meh, also some chapters are few min long, some are longer, unlike the first game where each chapter was long and have it's beginning and ending almost episodic style.

Final Chapter(15) is just poop worthy( Sorry Dead Space 2's final chapter fans) I hate final chapters that take a dump on the entire game style like this one, also the final "fight" is beyond stupid and weak, at least the first game got "real" final boss and not bullshit like here , the same thing about the ending and the epilogue, DS1,Extraction and Ignition ended with a huge shock, this one ended with my shaking my head and just thinking why Visceral did this.

The gameplay is good, I mean really GOOD, but got ruined by all this ridiculousness and many amateur design decisions everywhere..

/Rant

Extra rant: was there any actual need for Isaac Clarke to have a voice and be super annoying every time he open his pie hole? He have zero personality and whoever actor did the voice for Isaac is the fucking master of the wooden rod acting style, no emotions at all,damn son, actually I was more attached to silent Isaac from DS1 than this wooden rod here.

Replicant

Totobeni said:
Extra rant: was there any actual need for Isaac Clarke to have a voice and be super annoying every time he open his pie hole? He have zero personality and whoever actor did the voice for Isaac is the fucking master of the wooden rod acting style, no emotions at all,damn son, actually I was more attached to silent Isaac from DS1 than this wooden rod here.
You're crazy. Isaac's VA is good. Really good, actually. Natural delivery, good deadpan when appropriate.

And those who have good nostalgia feelings for Dead Space 1 should replay that game now. Because maybe you'll then realize that the game was nowhere as good as this one. Many rage-inducing moments, enemy gangbang WORSE than you can imagine in DS2, and stupid STUPID, frustrating minigames (asteroid shit, space pong).

tassletine

MarkMclovin said:
I'm completely lost on your posts here. Were you hoping for a Deadspace racing game or something?

Your posts really do look like they are written by someone that not only hasn't played this game, but hasn't played any of the games. This is a sequel dude, a continuation of the story behind Issac and the shit he's going through. Surely you get that? Do you know why all this shit is going down? Do you understand what the Marker is about and why is girlfriend is 'still' around?

Do you realise that by adding a scoring system to DS, you have just completely ruined the whole game? It's like trying to fit a square into a circle.. it just doesn't fit.

Why would it ruin the game? If you treat the game like it's some sort of horror masterpiece then yes. But I don't. This is not something subtle and well thought out, let alone scary.

I played Dead Space 1 for about four hours until I realised that I hadn't died once, and therefore wasn't even remotely challenged or scared, so I turned it off. I did think that the story was handled well though and the atmosphere was great. I don't play games for that reason though.
I played through Extraction twice. I love on the rail shooters and thought the way that the story was handled there was completely unique for a rail shooter.

In DS2 The story is almost non existent and the game is not scary. As I said in another post, if it's continuation of a story then why is Isaac speaking now? That completely changes the tone of the game. If you try and take it seriously you can't because that tone shifts from over the top comedy gore to introspective emo crap with the drop of a hat -- and that's the fault of having mediocre actors trying to deal with a bad script -- It takes it's self so seriously, and completely ruins the atmosphere in the process. It's not consistent.

You could say that it's good for a video game but that doesn't wash. You are being herded from point a-b by characters you haven't even met properly. At least in the first games you were part of a crew so could assume some sort of bond.

Something like GTA does this as well but at least the world is alive in between the firefights. Here it's just a case of pushing forward into the next room killing the monsters and waiting for the door to unlock. You repeat the same pattern every time. The game would have been much better if it was free roaming and you genuinely didn't know where the monsters were going to jump out from.
DS2's game mechanic doesn't work for something that is trying to terrify you -- and seeing as it doesn't manage to do that it needs to compensate with something a bit more interesting on the shooting front.

All these points are being made only because of the high review scores. It's being scored in the same league as Uncharted and it clearly isn't in the same league.

tassletine

Replicant said:
You're crazy. Isaac's VA is good. Really good, actually. Natural delivery, good deadpan when appropriate.

And those who have good nostalgia feelings for Dead Space 1 should replay that game now. Because maybe you'll then realize that the game was nowhere as good as this one. Many rage-inducing moments, enemy gangbang WORSE than you can imagine in DS2, and stupid STUPID, frustrating minigames (asteroid shit, space pong).

No it's not. You've mistaken somebody sounding a bit sad for good acting. It's totally flat.
It's the same mistake that kids make at school in drama class when they insist on doing plays about abortion because they think they are 'adult'.

This is wooden TV acting and a lot of it is downright laughable: The "I trusted You, fuck you and fuck your marker!" Bit at the end being a comedy highlight.

I beat it today. I liked it a lot better than the first game, thought the scares were a good deal less predictable. Tried Extraction as well, didn't care much for it.

overcast

tassletine said:
No it's not. You've mistaken somebody sounding a bit sad for good acting. It's totally flat.
It's the same mistake that kids make at school in drama class when they insist on doing plays about abortion because they think they are 'adult'.

This is wooden TV acting and a lot of it is downright laughable: The "I trusted You, fuck you and fuck your marker!" Bit at the end being a comedy highlight.
What? The voice was perfect for Issac. I doubted the choice to give the character a voice at first, but they pulled it off.

I don't understand how the voice acting in this game can ruin anything. Even if you don't like the choice to give Issac a voice, the acting isn't anywhere near unbearable.

Wiggum2007

Replicant said:

Truth!!

Replicant

tassletine said:
I played Dead Space 1 for about four hours until I realised that I hadn't died once

It must be fun playing the game on EASY setting. Next time, try it on IMPOSSIBLE.

tassletine said:
As I said in another post, if it's continuation of a story then why is Isaac speaking now?

Do you even realize how non-sense this argument is? It's like you're saying that the story is different just because the protagonist actually speaks now?

tassletine said:
That completely changes the tone of the game. If you try and take it seriously you can't because that tone shifts from over the top comedy gore to introspective emo crap with the drop of a hat -- and that's the fault of having mediocre actors trying to deal with a bad script -- It takes it's self so seriously, and completely ruins the atmosphere in the process. It's not consistent.

I see, you're one of those teens who thinks anything with a bit of serious drama is "emo". There's nothing emo about losing a person you love. It's a realistic process of growing up and letting go. You're like one of those who wonder why James Bond need to be all "emo" instead of going bang bang and bang more chicks in "Quantum of Solace". What you're asking is actually a caricature version of a person. Real person grieves when their loved one dies and they usually grief for a long period of time.

tassletine said:

Well kiddo, not everyone is a big fan of over-the-top school of acting. I supposed you can't differentiate between subtle, understated acting VS flat acting. I suggest you watch "The Last Airbender" if you want to see a real flat acting (and awful directing and script).

Draft

As a fan of silent protagonists I wasn't too happy about Isaac getting VO in DS2, but it ended up being pretty good. The VA did a good job.

Sadist

Isaac's VA is pretty good, didn't expect it tough. Wasn't crazy about it at first but
during the part where Ellie and Stross get overwhelmed by Necro's and Isaac is alligning the arrays his "I'll be there!" line was pretty convincing for instance.

The only thing I do agree on is that Extraction's characters are more interesting.

Replicant said:

No way. I played through Dead Space 1 for the third time immediately before Dead Space 2's release, and the only part of the game where you get seriously gangbanged by necromorphs is the very last chapter, and even then, they don't spawn indefinitely. Dead Space 2 literally throws them at you until you realise that running is your only option. Dead Space throws a lot at you, but it's a finite amount, and in fact you *have* to kill them in order to continue.

As for which game is better, it depends on what you prefer. I thought that Dead Space 1 was a survival horror with some action elements thrown in here and there. Dead Space 2 felt like the opposite to me. Dead Space 1 nailed the atmosphere, sense of isolation, and the feeling that you're an average Joe just fighting to stay alive. A lot of the game is figuring out what happened prior to your arrival. Dead Space 2 goes all-out Hollywood blockbuster, and turns Isaac into a hero. The actual story boils down to little more than "get to the marker and destroy it."

I prefer the gameplay of the DS2, but I prefer the setting, atmosphere, and story of DS1. So it's hard for me to pick a favourite.

Replicant

Ben2749 said:
No way. I played through Dead Space 1 for the third time immediately before Dead Space 2's release, and the only part of the game where you get seriously gangbanged by necromorphs is the very last chapter, and even then, they don't spawn indefinitely. Dead Space 2 literally throws them at you until you realise that running is your only option. Dead Space throws a lot at you, but it's a finite amount, and in fact you *have* to kill them in order to continue.

It's fresh off my memory since I'm now on impossible run. Some that sticks out of my mind. Chapter 6 (I think) after you clean up the wastes (no, not the green one, the black one), 4 exploders, 3-4 slashers, 1 pregnant. When you have to help Nicole in Chapter 7 (at least 6 on her side and 2 on your side + 1 lurker). The beginning of Chapter 8 (fuck that shit, I counted at least 8 exploders + 3 dark slashers + 1 dark crawlers). It's fucking relentless. And I haven't even got to that last part you mentioned yet. There's nothing like that on DS2. Those things that we are all running away from in Chapter 14-15? The truth is there are only at max 4-5 enemies at the most in one room/time.

As for which game is better, it depends on what you prefer. I thought that Dead Space 1 was a survival horror with some action elements thrown in here and there. Dead Space 2 felt like the opposite to me. Dead Space 1 nailed the atmosphere, sense of isolation, and the feeling that you're an average Joe just fighting to stay alive. A lot of the game is figuring out what happened prior to your arrival. Dead Space 2 goes all-out Hollywood blockbuster, and turns Isaac into a hero. The actual story boils down to little more than "get to the marker and destroy it."

I don't think the problem is action vs. horror. It's a lot more that the writers need to expand the storyline and since they've touched the basic about the markers and the unitologist, the next thing they need to expand is Isaac and why he's important to the story. I think some people don't like that the story moves away from the bigger plot to character development piece. The first also benefits from the fact that we don't know much about the different factions that work in Dead Space universe. Who's the good guy and who's the bad guy. As a result, there's a sense of mystery unfolding right in front of our eyes. There's not a lot of mystery in Dead Space 2, I admit that but that's because they need this to develop Isaac's character. But towards the end (and in Severed), they've planted seeds for more mysteries for the next installment.

As a side note: I love that Isaac is a hero now. I think it makes sense for his character progression that he becomes a badass due to his experience in Ishimura. But even after that, his character is still consistent. He's never much for an argument and you can tell from his little passive-aggressive comment when talking to Ellie that he'd rather just do something than arguing of what should be done or who should do it. That's why he was so easily ordered around in the first game.

Draft

There are way more enemies in DS2. Some sequences in DS1 have a good amount, but they are few and far between. DS2 is filled with combat sequences that throw like a dozen enemies at you in waves, and that's before the second to last chapter goes into total DOOM mode.

That penultimate chapter still irks me. It's like they designed it around having a super weapon but forgot to code that part. Like the last sequence in HL2, only instead of the powered up gravity gun all Gordon's armed with is the machine gun.

BeeDog

Draft said:
There are way more enemies in DS2. Some sequences in DS1 have a good amount, but they are few and far between. DS2 is filled with combat sequences that throw like a dozen enemies at you in waves, and that's before the second to last chapter goes into total DOOM mode.

That penultimate chapter still irks me. It's like they designed it around having a super weapon but forgot to code that part. Like the last sequence in HL2, only instead of the powered up gravity gun all Gordon's armed with is the machine gun.

I understand that Visceral tried to change the pacing of the game there and force the player to actually progress fast and not back up in a corner as usual and dispatch enemies. The problem is, they failed in part due to placing those black-type enemies right in front of you several fucking times. I mean, when you open a door a black leaper immediately surprises you, and since you actually don't know what to expect in this chapter, you might not even have a fast-enough weapon to be prepared for these set-pieces. This kills the pacing of the end sections and only serves to make those parts frustrating as hell.

Replicant

Draft said:

I think the difference is that, and this is one thing that many people don't realize. Is that those dozens of enemies are easy to dispatch in DS2. Those kids that swarm at you? Those little babies? They are easy to dispatched even if they come by dozens (partly thanks to improvement in weapons and stasis/kinesis use). But 3 dark slashers + 1 dark crawler come at the same time at you while exploders also gunning for you? That's just not fun at all.

And I'm glad Visceral let us run in Chapter 14/15 of DS2, because being locked in with a regenerator while having to fight off the rest of the Necros (because the door is temporarily sealed) in DS1 is annoying.

Draft

Replicant said:
I think the difference is that, and this is one thing that many people don't realize. Is that those dozens of enemies are easy to dispatch in DS2. Those kids that swarm at you? Those little babies? They are easy to dispatched even if they come by dozens (partly thanks to improvement in weapons and stasis/kinesis use). But 3 dark slashers + 1 dark crawler come at the same time at you while exploders also gunning for you? That's just not fun at all.

And I'm glad Visceral let us run in Chapter 14/15 of DS2, because being locked in with a regenerator while having to fight off the rest of the Necros (because the door is temporarily sealed) in DS1 is annoying.
I found DS2 way more difficult than DS1. Yes, the little claw children are a joke against certain weapons, but the acid spitting monsters are brutal, the legless things that walk on their hands got a massive buff and most of the huge fights involves those guys attacking 3-4 at a time for several waves.

SamuraiX-

I'm on Chapter 3 now.

My thoughts so far:

Pros
- I'm diggin' Isaac's new voice acting. Sounds especially kick ass in the suit.
- The new impaling mechanic (javelin and using enemy limbs) and pinning enemies to walls is a welcoming addition.
- Melee combat is more effective.
- Stasis packs stack, as well as the new quick stasis recovery button.
- Much more cool cinematic sequences ala Uncharted 2.
- Seamless transitions from chapter to chapter.

Cons
- Sparse placement and availability of stores and benches.
- More of a personal grievance, but I'm not liking how the telekinesis module now seemingly warps objects to your hand instead of pulling them. Just feels weird.
- Enemies are now more plentiful and as a result go down in fewer shots; feels like the dismemberment mechanic from the first game has taken a backseat for a more typical shooter approach.
- Stasis duration and area of effect have been severely nerfed.
- Environment and atmosphere around the Sprawl doesn't feel nearly as disturbing and downright creepy as the Ishimura. I suppose it shouldn't be but eh.
- The game has felt way too linear so far, but maybe that will change in later chapters. I was one of the people who was a big fan of the backtracking in the first game because I felt that it gave you a better sense of the structure and layout of the ship. Each area has felt fairly forgettable at the start of this one.
- The motherfucking spitters and pukers. Already more annoying than even the dividers from the first game.

I'm playing on Zealot difficulty for my first run and these scenarios with swarms of enemies in tight surroundings is already giving me a headache, especially when you're low on ammo. Is the rest of the game pretty much more of the same?

Btw (spoilers from the very beginning of the game)
did anybody feel just weird for a second when the game just threw you into the fucking hell before you even took control of Isaac? For the first 5 seconds I was trying to figure out if it was a dream or not.... then I saw my health meter was red and bolted the fuck outta there. Couldn't even catch a single break. I was hoping for the first chapter maybe they'd let you explore the Sprawl for a little bit, but then I suppose that wouldn't have worked at all with the story with Isaac being diagnosed as clinically insane and all.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SamuraiX- said:
I'm on Chapter 3 now.

My thoughts so far:

Pros
- I'm diggin' Isaac's new voice acting. Sounds especially kick ass in the suit.
- The new impaling mechanic (javelin and using enemy limbs) and pinning enemies to walls is a welcoming addition.
- Melee combat is more effective.
- Stasis packs stack, as well as the new quick stasis recovery button.
- Much more cool cinematic sequences ala Uncharted 2.
- Seamless transitions from chapter to chapter.

Cons
- Sparse placement and availability of stores and benches.
- More of a personal grievance, but I'm not liking how the telekinesis module now seemingly warps objects to your hand instead of pulling them. Just feels weird.
- Enemies are now more plentiful and as a result go down in fewer shots; feels like the dismemberment mechanic from the first game has taken a backseat for a more typical shooter approach.
- Stasis duration and area of effect have been severely nerfed.
- Environment and atmosphere around the Sprawl doesn't feel nearly as disturbing and downright creepy as the Ishimura. I suppose it shouldn't be but eh.
- The game has felt way too linear so far, but maybe that will change in later chapters. I was one of the people who was a big fan of the backtracking in the first game because I felt that it gave you a better sense of the structure and layout of the ship. Each area has felt fairly forgettable at the start of this one.
- The motherfucking spitters and pukers. Already more annoying than even the dividers from the first game.

I'm playing on Zealot difficulty for my first run and these scenarios with swarms of enemies in tight surroundings is already giving me a headache, especially when you're low on ammo. Is the rest of the game pretty much more of the same?

I'm afraid your "cons" will double when you get near the end.

Dead Space vs Dead Space 2 stuff...

I finished Survivalist a couple of weeks ago, and it really made me want to go back and playthrough Dead Space again, mostly to compare, but Chapter 10 in DS2 really brought some good memories back, so the pros and cons of both are pretty clear in my head.

Firstly - I'm right in the middle of a One Gun AND Impossible run on DS1, and I can say quite categorically that DS2 is MUCH harder. So far (on Chapter 5) I am finding my One Gun Impossible mode run a breeze, and I struggled in more than a few places in DS2.

Now of course, I'm a lot more familiar with DS as I'm on my 4th playthrough, but it's still easier. I think that DS2 puts MUCH more emphasis on Statis and Kinesis usage (hence more Necros at a time), whereas you could get by in DS without it - I suspect that my next run through DS2 I will upgrade my Stasis quite early, and use it MUCH more.

However, the gameplay tweaks in DS2 haven't in any way lessened my enjoyment of DS, although I found the change of buttons annoying for a bit (statis on X in DS, Y in DS2).

The level design is much more varied in DS2, but it makes for a less cohesive setting IMO - I have to say although DS2 is a better looking game, the Ishimura is the better setting IMO.

In summary, I'd have to say at the moment I really can't separate the games at all - both are top drawer IMO.

XonoX

I need help. First play through on Zealot setting. I have been concentrating my nodes on the line gun and have about 30 rounds of it left.

Am on the final boss scene in ch15 - and i cant do it. I cant beat this boss with the line gun.

I get about 10 shots off into the heart before being overcome by the 'shadow' children. I focus my shots on the girl and pickup all the kids drop but I cant pick them up quick enough to keep the momentum going.

Does anybody have any tips for me in this scenario ?

I need help. First play through on Zealot setting. I have been concentrating my nodes on the line gun and have about 30 rounds of it left.

Am on the final boss scene in ch15 - and i cant do it. I cant beat this boss with the line gun.

I get about 10 shots off into the heart before being overcome by the 'shadow' children. I focus my shots on the girl and pickup all the kids drop but I cant pick them up quick enough to keep the momentum going.

To be honest, I'd say you are pretty well fecked! The Line Gun is essentially a short range gun, and you will need something a git longer range - Contact Beam is great here.

I was really enjoying this game up until middle part of chapter 6.

Killing crying crawling babies in a nursery just isn't appealing to me. I must be getting old

Replicant

gollumsluvslave said:
Firstly - I'm right in the middle of a One Gun AND Impossible run on DS1, and I can say quite categorically that DS2 is MUCH harder. So far (on Chapter 5) I am finding my One Gun Impossible mode run a breeze, and I struggled in more than a few places in DS2.
One gun on Impossible? Yikes. You're either brave or insane. Especially once you reach chapter 7. There's no time for strategic dismemberment and enemies are strong and DS1 weapons are weaker without upgrade in comparison to DS2 weapons. Contact Beam, for example, is useless even after you put 3 nodes in. Although since you're only using plasma, I guess it's maxed out now? Make sure it is come chapter 9 because you'll have to fight 3 [spoilers]Twitchers aboard USS Valor[/spoiler]

What was the last point before you spent the nodes on line gun? I'd suggest you restart from there and instead spend the nodes on plasma, contact beam (the first 7 are enough) and force gun upgrades.

Or alternatively use Respect feature (assuming you have $5000) and take ou the nodes on the last save point and use it as above.

dalyr95

XonoX said:
Final boss is easy. Its not about shots, its about damage. With the Line Gun's secondary fire, just lay down two mines in front of her, that's it, heart opens up.

Replicant said:
One gun on Impossible? Yikes. You're either brave or insane. Especially once you reach chapter 7. There's no time for strategic dismemberment and enemies are strong and DS1 weapons are weaker without upgrade in comparison to DS2 weapons. Contact Beam, for example, is useless even after you put 3 nodes in. Although since you're only using plasma, I guess it's maxed out now? Make sure it is come chapter 9 because you'll have to fight 3 [spoilers]Twitchers aboard USS Valor[/spoiler]

I fully expect it to get a lot harder, but so far so good - I'm actually finding the fact that I only spend money on Plasma ammo, Nodes, Stasis Packs and Health makes it much easier to manage.

I'm using stasis much more, and as I have LOTS of plasma energy, it's not been too bad. Hardcore on DS2 strikes me as MUCH tougher than One Gun/Impossible. Of course YMMV.

Replicant

gollumsluvslave said:
I'm using stasis much more, and as I have LOTS of plasma energy, it's not been too bad. Hardcore on DS2 strikes me as MUCH tougher than One Gun/Impossible. Of course YMMV.

The only reason Hardcore on DS2 is hard is because of two things: one-hit-kill situations and the fact that we can only save 3 times. If we can actually save normally, those one-hit-kill won't matter much and DS2 as a whole is far easier. At least in DS2 I don't have to deal with: Asteroids shooting, twitcher, getting locked in a room with a regenerator, humongous monster shooting, and trying to clean up debris while enemies drop on you.

XonoX

dalyr95 said:
Final boss is easy. Its not about shots, its about damage. With the Line Gun's secondary fire, just lay down two mines in front of her, that's it, heart opens up.

Good tip, thanks. Will try again tonight.

Replicant

Okay where are those people who said the gangbang in DS1 was nothing in comparison to DS2? You all need some refresher course in gangbang moments!!! It was worse! Far, far worse than DS2 on Hardcore can come up with.

I'd like you all to enjoy Chapter 9 - The Barrack on Impossible setting. 4 Twitchers + 6 Lurkers + 3 Crawlers + 4 Exploders + 1 pregnant. ALL IN ONE ROOM LOCKED WITH YOU. That is stupid, cruel and just not fun to play.

SamuraiX-

Replicant said:
Okay where are those people who said the gangbang in DS1 was nothing in comparison to DS2? You all need some refresher course in gangbang moments!!! It was worse! Far, far worse than DS2 on Hardcore can come up with.

I'd like you all to enjoy Chapter 9 - The Barrack on Impossible setting. 4 Twitchers + 6 Lurkers + 3 Crawlers + 4 Exploders + 1 pregnant. ALL IN ONE ROOM LOCKED WITH YOU. That is stupid, cruel and just not fun to play.

Definitely one of the more difficult sections in the game, but after your second or third playthrough, you're pretty much ready for it.

I recently just beat the game on Impossible and that section wasn't too bad. Force Gun secondary fire + Line Gun timed mines + Stasis + Plasma Cutter to finish guys off makes it a cake walk as long as you stay near the door that you entered.

tassletine

Replicant said:
It must be fun playing the game on EASY setting. Next time, try it on IMPOSSIBLE.

I played it on Normal. I've never played a game that was that easy before. So as I said I quit. Surely you can't open up the later difficulty settings before playing through on Normal?

Replicant said:
Do you even realize how non-sense this argument is? It's like you're saying that the story is different just because the protagonist actually speaks now?

In any story the protagonists actions are part of that story. If that character speaks it's becomes something different. Clint Eastwood acting like Chris Rock in The Three Dollars trilogy would be a different movie.

Replicant said:
I see, you're one of those teens who thinks anything with a bit of serious drama is "emo". There's nothing emo about losing a person you love. It's a realistic process of growing up and letting go. You're like one of those who wonder why James Bond need to be all "emo" instead of going bang bang and bang more chicks in "Quantum of Solace". What you're asking is actually a caricature version of a person. Real person grieves when their loved one dies and they usually grief for a long period of time.

I'm 37. Second I hated Quantum of Solace, primarily because it had a boring plot that made no sense (strange that)
I've got nothing against Bond crying - He did that in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I have a big problem with him being an 'action star' in the vein of Bourne though, that's not what James Bond is about. To paraphrase Roger Ebert : "James Bond is about the foreplay and the cigarette, the action is nothing to him".

If you're suggesting DS2 is serious Drama then that's laughable. I suggest you go and watch Gods and Men. It's the best film I've seen all year and it's full of great acting. You'll find it's remarkably different to Dead Space.

Replicant said:
Well kiddo, not everyone is a big fan of over-the-top school of acting. I supposed you can't differentiate between subtle, understated acting VS flat acting. I suggest you watch "The Last Airbender" if you want to see a real flat acting (and awful directing and script).

Well old man, I suggest you go and watch GI Joe and 90210 because the guy who played Issac hasn't been able to find much work apart from that. I wonder why?

tassletine said:
I played it on Normal. I've never played a game that was that easy before. So as I said I quit. Surely you can't open up the later difficulty settings before playing through on Normal?

Sorry, I'm confused here. Can't you change the difficulty at any time if you're finding it really easy?

In any story the protagonists actions are part of that story. If that character speaks it's becomes something different. Clint Eastwood acting like Chris Rock in The Three Dollars trilogy would be a different movie.

I disagree with your analogy here. The example you provided is way too extreme then what happened here. In the first game, Isaac is just a blank slate, and they gave him a voice and personality to replace the gopher. It does make it a different game, narratively, but not so extreme as Clint Eastwood talking like Chris Rock (which incidentally, I would pay money to watch, that shit sounds funny).

I'm 37. Second I hated Quantum of Solace, primarily because it had a boring plot that made no sense (strange that)
I've got nothing against Bond crying - He did that in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I have a big problem with him being an 'action star' in the vein of Bourne though, that's not what James Bond is about. To paraphrase Roger Ebert : "James Bond is about the foreplay and the cigarette, the action is nothing to him".

I thought QoS was okay, it wasn't... horrid. Shaky cam sucked though.

If you're suggesting DS2 is serious Drama then that's laughable. I suggest you go and watch Gods and Men. It's the best film I've seen all year and it's full of great acting. You'll find it's remarkably different to Dead Space.

Aren't these two completely different genres and mediums? Of course it's different from a sci-fi horror game?

Well old man, I suggest you go and watch GI Joe and 90210 because the guy who played Issac hasn't been able to find much work apart from that. I wonder why?

So? What does that have to do with anything? You didn't like him in this game, I did, Replicant did, I don't understand why you two have this hilarious internet dick measuring contest.

Though it is funny, so I say continue.

Not my battle, I just jumped in cause of boredom

tassletine

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Sorry, I'm confused here. Can't you change the difficulty at any time if you're finding it really easy?

I can't remember to be honest. I rented the game.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I disagree with your analogy here. The example you provided is way too extreme then what happened here. In the first game, Isaac is just a blank slate, and they gave him a voice and personality to replace the gopher. It does make it a different game, narratively, but not so extreme as Clint Eastwood talking like Chris Rock (which incidentally, I would pay money to watch, that shit sounds funny).

It is an extreme analogy but I'm having a dialogue with someone who seems to thinks DS2 is high drama. My position on the game is that it's fun but the game shouldn't be getting the 10/10 scores that it does as it's not that good. The problem I have with it is it wants to be both a fun ghost train type game with over the top comic gore, but also some sort of heart wrenching tragedy. It takes it's self far too seriously and looks foolish for doing so.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Aren't these two completely different genres and mediums? Of course it's different from a sci-fi horror game?

We were talking about drama and good acting, both of which Of Gods and Men contain. Replicant maintains that the acting in DS2 is excellent. I would say that even good (not excellent) acting should be believable at all times, which this isn't. I won't make excuses along the lines of 'it's just a game'. It wasn't scary and didn't move me in any way, therefore I don't think it's good.
Personally I think this is the problem of the script, in which almost everything happens outside your field of view. Listening to people telling me what's happened is unforgivable in an action game (and movie). Especially when the action is as unvaried as this.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
So? What does that have to do with anything? You didn't like him in this game, I did, Replicant did, I don't understand why you two have this hilarious internet dick measuring contest.

It does have something to do with the conversation as I'm backing up my assertion that the actor playing Issac isn't "excellent". You do understand why we're having this contest. As you said: It's fun. My original post was about how the game got such high scores. I'm in the process of trying to find out why.

tassletine said:
I can't remember to be honest. I rented the game.

It is an extreme analogy but I'm having a dialogue with someone who seems to thinks DS2 is high drama. My position on the game is that it's fun but the game shouldn't be getting the 10/10 scores that it does as it's not that good. The problem I have with it is it wants to be both a fun ghost train type game with over the top comic gore, but also some sort of heart wrenching tragedy. It takes it's self far too seriously and looks foolish for doing so.

We were talking about drama and good acting, both of which Of Gods and Men contain. Replicant maintains that the acting in DS2 is excellent. I would say that even good (not excellent) acting should be believable at all times, which this isn't. I won't make excuses along the lines of 'it's just a game'. It wasn't scary and didn't move me in any way, therefore I don't think it's good.

Personally I think this is the problem of the script, in which almost everything happens outside your field of view. Listening to people telling me what's happened is unforgivable in an action game (and movie). Especially when the action is as unvaried as this.

It does have something to do with the conversation as I'm backing up my assertion that the actor playing Issac isn't "excellent". You do understand why we're having this contest. As you said: It's fun. My original post was about how the game got such high scores. I'm in the process of trying to find out why.
what you're doing is overvaluing your opinion. that's not a huge mistake to make, because it's an easy mistake to make, but it's still a mistake to make.

here's what you really feel: you personally wouldn't give it a ten.

what you shouldn't be doing is questioning other people's opinions. Dead Space 2 deserves every ten it gets, because the people scoring it felt it deserved a ten on the criteria that they use to rate games.

the fact that so many of us in this thread also love the game should clue you in to the fact that many people feel it deserves the highest mark.

it's okay that you don't, but what's not okay is you over valuing your opinion to the point where you feel entitled to question their judgements. they aren't mistaken to score it highly, just as you aren't wrong to think it isn't brilliant.

there's nothing to understand here. most people genuinely think it's a great game. just because you can't see it yourself doesn't change that, or create some big mystery that must be solved.

why do people genuinely think it's a great game? simply put, because they don't share your issues with the game, or don't find the flaws you can't get past as crippling as you do.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok..only need the zealot playthrough trophy and hardcore mode trophy. Since i need to do both for both trophies, what would you all say is the best order to tackle these in? Benefits of doing it one way over the other..??

If it helps, im also considering getting the Supernova DLC...

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ok..only need the zealot playthrough trophy and hardcore mode trophy. Since i need to do both for both trophies, what would you all say is the best order to tackle these in? Benefits of doing it one way over the other..??

Zealot is good practice for Hardcore. You also take less damage in Hardcore, so it'll be nice to get used to Zealot damage when it comes to healing time.

Replicant said:

Just got through the Barrack on my One Gun / Impossible run - got killed once before getting through; it was tough but once I got the Lurkers stasised it wasn't too bad.
I'm having a LOT more problem with Spitters; just got killed 6 times by the Spitter in level 10 (those pods really take a lot of health!), I'm so used to just taking them out with the Line Gun Mine. I can see that the dual Spitters in level 12 are going to be a nightmare!!!

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

Zealot is definitely good practice for Hardcore. Also...man up and skip the DLC. it's completely possible to play through both difficulty settings starting from scratch. :)

Draft

Line gun sort of dominates the last boss, at least the shadow children. Run around for a bit, stasis, line gun secondary, pile of shit to pick up.

Replicant

tassletine said:

LOL. WTH are you talking about? There's no normal on Dead Space 1. There's only EASY, MEDIUM, and HARD at first. It's only after you beat HARD that you unlock IMPOSSIBLE. Something tells me you never played the game and just claimed it based on what you know of DS2.

tassletine said:

There are different kinds of drama and good acting. And not every one of them needs to be academy-award winning or any award winning. What DS2 presented was a good drama for the story and characters involved. It definitely beats similar Hollywood offerings such as Alien vs. Predator or its 'widely-acclaimed' sequel, Alien vs. Predator 2.

tassletine said:

Err, because Hollywood is a competitive place to work at? Did you know that there are more struggling talented actors than those who are not so-talented but working due to their good-looks? I mean since you mentioned your favorite film, GI Joe, you can't exactly say that Channing Tatum is a talented actor despite the amount of blockbuster films he's starred in. And yet, someone talented like Mark Pellegrino doesn't get cast in many films/tv series. Not to mention it all depends on whether you can get represented by the right agency or not. 90% of working Hollywood actors got their job because they have the agency who got first preferences amongst the Hollywood directors.

tassletine said:

This is coming from a guy who couldn't tell that the reason there's a cryo CHAMBER (not LAB) is because it's a part of the Unitology Church. This is coming from a guy who couldn't use his own brain to connect the dots on his own based on the information provided by the game through files and video tapes. You're actually asking for the game to spoonfed you with information and yet when it does so, you bitch about it.

Top Bottom