• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

its not even about that. dead space 2 was heading this way and this is just the cherry on top of the cake. Story wise ill finish it of course, but gameplay wise am talking about.

Just my personal take on the series, the only reason Dead Space 1 was scarier then 2 was because of the unknown factor. It was new, you didn't really know wtf was going on, and it was more terrifying because of it. Dead Space 1 was still alot of action, with intense moments of dread and terror at times. I felt DS2 just up'd the action while still keeping the horror, terror elements. DS3 still keeps these things, but adds co-op and changes a few other things. I'll be interested to see other peoples reactions once they get their hands on it and play a few chapters in.

its not even about that. dead space 2 was heading this way and this is just the cherry on top of the cake. Story wise ill finish it of course, but gameplay wise am talking about.

Dead Space 2 also had a lot of terrific horror driven setpieces like the elementary school, which were in my opinion more creative and fulfilling from a horror standpoint than anything in the original game, which was mostly reliant on lighting and sudden noises or attacks.

Dead Space has always been pretty action driven. I do think the first one was more "tame" in terms of action because it didn't quite have the large-scope action sequences that Dead Space 2 had, and it was overall "quieter," but it was still pretty much a level-based shooter.

It's not like we're going from The Exorcist to Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen here.

K' Dash

Its a known fact because of those streams that this game have long sections on dark corridors and claustrofobic enviroments ala DS1, I'd wait till I hit those parts to judge the game early...

There is this dude with a wordpress website writing a review for Dead Space 3 which I find a little bit amusing :)

After all he is honest about his lacking knowledge of gaming insight and widespread time behind the controller.

My first thoughts progressed very poorly and I almost put down the control. There are a lot of explosions, the screen shakes all over the place, and bad guys come out of every corridor you pass, sometimes so close that you actually have to turn around to shoot them. However, the controls are very stiff for a shooter. Those who are use to games like Call of Duty will find that their character doesn’t even have the ability to turn. A game set in third person, more in the flavor of Gears of War, finding the right controller setting in the options menu for quick acquisition of a target is crucial very quickly in this game.

So. Here are the results of Dead Space 3.

On the shelf: I give this game a 8.0 for great story, visuals and the couple of jumps that this game produced.

Off the Shelf: I give this game a 5.0 for the inability of any multiplayer unless you buy a code, downloadable content and pretty much a brand new game to play. Even though its still a kick ass game, my partner will never know, because I am not going to buy two copies of this game, so we can play co-op in the same house.
http://nextgenxreview.wordpress.com/2013/02/03/dead-space-3-a-beginners-look-into-chaos/

Italian multiplayer.it gives DS3 a 9.0

italienixubd.png

http://translate.google.com/transla...ace-3-isaac-john-e-lorigine-degli-incubi.html

jrcbandit

I just started chapter 6 and have never used the roll command, and I only used crouch/cover a few times in chapter 1 (which is rather short so don't let chapter 1 worry you). It is a good dead space game. However, normal difficulty is a bit too easy so you may want to start on hard.

Moff

just wanted to give a heads up that you can indeed unlock the game by simply changing the date in your OS. it also works on the european digital version. thanks again.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
just wanted to give a heads up that you can indeed unlock the game by simply changing the date in your OS. it also works on the european digital version. thanks again.

Just saved me $2 on a one day proxy subscription. Thanks!

jkanownik

It is odd that there are just reviews out from 3DJuegos, AusGamers & Multiplayer.it

Is there no review embargo or are these three breaking the embargo?

JJD

Recorded first ~17 minutes of gameplay.
PC, max settings and 1080p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsyiYy7bB8

Holy shit that looked great!!!

It isn't as shocking as the DS2 opening but frankly, how could you top that?

That scene is a classic.

Still I loved everything about this video and you even edited out the cutscenes! I'm feeling DS3 is shaping up to be my favorite entry in the series ahead of DS1.

Can't wait to play this game, why US PSN doesn't pre load games like the EU one? And why I'm not getting any of the pre order bonus? I've put down my money the moment the pre order option went up =(

Still I hope this game is successful and sells a lot. Hopefully it surpasses EA expectations because I'm dying to see what Codecow, Monkeypants and the rest of the guys at Visceral can pull out next gen with a completely new engine!

Ok...

I originally got the platinum trophy for DS2 on PS3. I loved messing with the foam finger after completing hardcore and thought to myself "you know this game like the back of your hand. Go and complete the PC version and get the foam finger just to say you did it kind of thing"

Completed the game on hardcore, no foam finger in the first store. Anyone hear of this happening to others? Seems really odd and I'll be pissed if I would have go through and complete it again.

how much time did you take to beat the game?

Around 12 hours or so is what it looks like it's going to be on normal. Give or take. My review is ready to render, just waiting till I'm done before pushing it out (in case the ending/human encounters truly change my thoughts on the review). I felt like the side quests have been more difficulty then the main story. Damn I got swarmed in one of them.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I finished my zealot run of DS2 in 5.5 hours (just last night). I should probably just skip normal mode here.

I still haven't decided which version to start with, 360 or PS3. I'll be downloading the PS3 version whenever it become available, but I have a Philosophy test at 6:30 that's going to wreck my shit if I don't study. So by the time I get to sit down and play, I'll have both versions.

Anyone get a shipping confirmation from Amazon? My copy still hasn't been sent out. There's a shipping center about 10 minutes from my house, but I'm still nervous about it getting to me late.

So from what I gather the co-op and single player campaigns are mostly identical, is there a clear choice between those two options for my first (and possibly only) playthrough? I'm slightly sceptical about how playing and with a friend will affect the survival-horror aspects of this game but at the same some of the insane co-op partner seeing things differently to you seems like a neat idea. I suppose it might be still too early to call but any comparisons between the single player and co-op experiences would be appreciated.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It is odd that there are just reviews out from 3DJuegos, AusGamers & Multiplayer.it

Is there no review embargo or are these three breaking the embargo?

Polygon was saying there was an embargo until sometime Tuesday morning.

Perhaps they used their local time instead of Pacific time given where they live?

Ken

Is all the preorder bonuses from GameStop available as DLC on XBL? Do they just give you codes on a receipt for the or are the game cases labelled LE? Want to know if I can just walk in without a preorder and get the LE as a first print thing or if these a differentiation.

JohngPR

How many PC players are out there? I bought it on PC for framerate/graphics/playability once next gen is here purposes, but I don't know anyone that's getting it for PC so coop may be hard for me. :(

If you want a considerate, team-based, medium skilled partner...let me know. :p

My origin handle is JohngPR

K' Dash

How many PC players are out there? I bought it on PC for framerate/graphics/playability once next gen is here purposes, but I don't know anyone that's getting it for PC so coop may be hard for me. :(

If you want a considerate, team-based, medium skilled partner...let me know. :p

My origin handle is JohngPR

I'll do mi first playtrough solo but I will add you, as soon as I finish single player I'll play co-op

deformity

Neo Member
Around 12 hours or so is what it looks like it's going to be on normal. Give or take. My review is ready to render, just waiting till I'm done before pushing it out (in case the ending/human encounters truly change my thoughts on the review). I felt like the side quests have been more difficulty then the main story. Damn I got swarmed in one of them.

mmm considering I'm very slow in playing a game like DS, I will take at least 15 hour to complete it and all the side missions

sarcoa

Curious if you played any of the co-op only side missions. I had most of my review written, but then I played those and had to alter a few paragraphs due to a shift in opinion.
Polygon was saying there was an embargo until sometime Tuesday morning.

Perhaps they used their local time instead of Pacific time given where they live?
Embargo provided by PR to US outlets is 9am est tuesday. From what I understand overseas is kind of like the Wild West with those embargoes, which is probably why the only few that are popping up aren't north america based.

Ok...

I originally got the platinum trophy for DS2 on PS3. I loved messing with the foam finger after completing hardcore and thought to myself "you know this game like the back of your hand. Go and complete the PC version and get the foam finger just to say you did it kind of thing"

Completed the game on hardcore, no foam finger in the first store. Anyone hear of this happening to others? Seems really odd and I'll be pissed if I would have go through and complete it again.

I also just read that months after the release of DS2 on PC, Zealot and Hardcore mode are still bugged. You must complete the game in one sitting to receive all the rewards such as the foam finger.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
mmm considering I'm very slow in playing a game like DS, I will take at least 15 hour to complete it and all the side missions

Yeah I actually originally thought the game could last 15-20 hours, but will change that to 10- 15 now. Still plenty of content.

Curious if you played any of the co-op only side missions. I had most of my review written, but then I played those and had to alter a few paragraphs due to a shift in opinion.

Not yet actually and one of the things I plan on doing tonight before rolling the review out, cause I'm wondering the same actually. Part of me wants to ask, good or bad. Then again part of me wants to go in not knowing.

JohngPR

Finished preloading mine.

I'm a crazy person and want to play through all of the DS games before I play 3...including Extraction.

Challenge accepted.

Mupod

did the early unlock trick, thanks whoever came up with that. Do I need to leave Origin in offline mode and/or my date set ahead? Or will it stay unlocked?

edit: I'd also like to note that the PC version runs great and looks great. There's slightly more options for graphics than there were in the past games, it's no Crysis but it's certainly not Dark Souls barebones. Option for 120hz too, which is all I really care about. Xbox gamepad working as expected.

JerkShep

Italian multiplayer.it gives DS3 a 9.0

If anyone is interested, the translation could be

Pros
- It retains the structure of a survival horror
- The multiplayer is not invasive and lengthens the experience
- Pacing, variety in situations and locations
- The crafting mechanics add something interesting to the game

Cons
- It's uncommon to remain without ammunitions or medikits
- Not very convincing human enemies
- Ideas and mechanics are often reused