• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

derFeef

I wondered why my game did not show up on Origin and I contacted support - it was "stuck" somehow even though my account was charged. Support cancelled it and I will get my money back - now I can order on GMG too (for 30€ ...)

Anyone know if anything harder than normal difficulty has to be unlocked by playing through normal first?

Once you select new game you get:
Casual
Normal
Hard
Impossible

and then it seems beating the game on any difficulty will get you the special New Game+ modes:
New Game+
Classic
Pure Survival
Hardcore

Czigga

Is there a story recap of the first 2 in the game? Or do I have to watch the youtube story recaps. I forget wtf is going on other than the Marker is back and pissed off

RS4-

I was hoping that DS3 would look a lot better on PC. Playing it with everything maxed out and it looks...OK. Granted, I'm still in Chapter 1 lol.

Wanny

Can anyone else confirm that flashlight isn't casting real time shadows? This effect was present in DS2 but I'm not getting any in this one...

Wanny

From earlier in this thread:

Well damn that area dependant happens often... I did whole chapter 1 and now on 2 and it's not there. Okay you'll say who cares and move on, but it's little details like this that immerse me...

I'm genuinely disapointed by the game. I don't know why but everything feels off. Even the gunplay with super very fast enemies is turning me off. I only did chapter 1 so far...

Where's the Dead Space 1 quality? Even sound design was better!

jrcbandit

Well damn that area dependant happens often... I did whole chapter 1 and now on 2 and it's not there. Okay you'll say who cares and move on, but it's little details like this that immerse me...

I'm genuinely disapointed by the game. I don't know why but everything feels off. Even the gunplay with super very fast enemies is turning me off. I only did chapter 1 so far...

Try playing more of chapter 2 and on, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Chapter 1 is meh at best and didn't feel very dead spacey.

codecow

As for the flashlight, the only thing that changed versus the previous two is that the shadows look a lot better in DS3. It was area dependent in the previous games as well and had the same restrictions in multi-player.

Getting ready to order this(digitally) so I can play tonight, is there any coupon that works on GMG or is 60 dollars the only option everywhere?

Also wondering, are the shadows area dependent on the PC version as well? Imagine so given the equality statement but one can hope.

Trying to get my pre-loaded game working on origins. Changed my time and date, turn it offline, and still not able to play it on pc. Did they just fix this cause I just got a update when I logged in.

*edit* nevermind got it :D

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
How's everyone's performance on the PC side? Obviously Visceral returns with their shitty vsync, so we have to force it. I get around 70 without vsync and high shadows turned on (hd 7970, i7). Soft high shadows is a performance killer and doesn't even look better IMO. Get odd drops when people are talking to me too.

Also, could that menu be any more annoying?

jediyoshi

Getting ready to order this(digitally) so I can play tonight, is there any coupon that works on GMG or is 60 dollars the only option everywhere?

Haven't looked much elsewhere, but GMG's deal does have $7 cashback. gamersgate and amazon don't seem to have similar deals

Also wondering, are the shadows area dependent on the PC version as well? Imagine so given the equality statement but one can hope.
wondering if there is a cheap PC
deal as well-

Wanny

As for the flashlight, the only thing that changed versus the previous two is that the shadows look a lot better in DS3. It was area dependent in the previous games as well and had the same restrictions in multi-player.

Thanks for your answer. As for the game, I may got an alarm a bit too quickly because it gets quite more interesting in chapter 2 and I'm getting the vibe of the first games as well. I will shut up now and just play geez! Thanks for all the great hours of gaming you guys gave me btw.

Please no more gunplay/funny looking action sequences like in Chapter 1. Doesn't fit at all and is quite disturbing as a huge Dead Space 1 fan.

Looking forward coop!

Vitor711

I'm really not enjoying the first few hours. I may have to drop it from hard to normal because it doesn't feel like Hard was designed for anything other than New Game+. Enemies need several shots for a single limb to be severed and the early weapons fire so slowly that you get swamped too easily. I am having to conserve ammo a lot but it's just frustrating. Isaac's movement is the same as before but it's starting to feel clunky and can really get in the way, especially due to the tight corridors which don't exactly make his evade rolls easy to use. I'm usually all for a challenge but it just feels cheap what with the crazy distance closing moves that some of the enemies have at their disposal. I'm also someone who never uses stasis and never did in the previous games so this might be a factor but the gunplay just feels unsatisfying for me on hard right now.

As for the rest of the game so far, it's an expansion to Dead Space 2. Make of that what you will. It doesn't feel like a co-op game at all when played solo, which is definitely a good thing. You can't tell where things were changed or cut. That being said, I got enough Dead Space out of the first 2. I really didn't need more of the same.

While they added human enemies, the cover system is terrible and the AI of the human opponents is non-existent. They go down super easily too and really add nothing to the game.

Also, the first 'upgrade' you get to the plasma cutter basically makes it the line gun and leaves you with no weapon that allows for changes in aiming orientation. This makes fighting the wall jumping spitters immensely annoying as you can't go for vertical slices. Maybe I'm just missing something and need to rebuild the original gun if I can but if they have removed the aiming toggle, it really screws things up in terms of combat options.

The game's different in terms of structure, presenting optional objectives across multiple environments that you can tackle in any order you like but it still boils down to visiting the same spaceship environments, solving the same kinesis puzzles and fighting the exact same enemies as before.

Also, they replaced the functional and addictive weapon upgrade system with a new crafting system that's a complete mess and poorly explained.

The game looks nice and has plenty of Uncharted 2-style set pieces which still give you some semblance of control but when you end up doing the same 'flying through debris in space' that you did in the previous games,just with added mines, it can't help but feel a little creatively bankrupt.

Also, the in-game model for the main female protagonist is cringe-inducingly awful. Everyone around here is dressed in space suits and work clothes and she's walking cleavage. I wouldn't take as much issue if it just didn't stand out as much as it does.

I'll definitely play through further and see if things improve but so far it's just incredibly so-so. By no means a bad game, and probably no worse than prior entries but that doesn't really feel like enough. It doesn't feel particularly less scary though, it uses the same jump scares as before (pro-tip - kill every corpse you see in the first few levels because, as always, they're not dead) which probably dilutes them if you've played previous games. In terms of tone, it feels very much like 2 did so I don't see the complaints of the game getting EA-ed to death as being valid as of yet.

Got up to chapter 2 and liking it so far. Started on Impossible.

Is the PC version only 30fps? I got everything maxed out on a 660ti/3570k and looks pretty good with SMAA on.

PC version is pretty good. Got up to chapter 2 and liking it so far.

Started on Impossible.

What have you done!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! :D *edit* got my pc version unlocked btw.

As for the rest of the game so far, it's an expansion to Dead Space 2. Make of that what you will. It doesn't feel like a co-op game at all when played solo, which is definitely a good thing. You can't tell where things were changed or cut. That being said, I got enough Dead Space out of the first 2. I really didn't need more of the same.

No offense to your post or stance on the series, but see this is the back and forth mentality with games we get now a days. Sometimes they change too much (DmC for example) and people don't buy it. Stay to close to the same and people say it should have been an expansion, not worth the new game price tag. Though I'd say in this case, this is probably more a relief for people to hear since that proves it more of the Dead Space the fans have come to enjoy and not the other way around.

So is there any solution to getting the N7 armor on ps3 without a mass effect save? I am happen to be one of the people who plays mass effect on 360 and dead space series on ps3.

Mupod

How's everyone's performance on the PC side? Obviously Visceral returns with their shitty vsync, so we have to force it. I get around 70 without vsync and high shadows turned on (hd 7970, i7). Soft high shadows is a performance killer and doesn't even look better IMO. Get odd drops when people are talking to me too.

running great here maxed out on a GTX 580. I have a 120hz monitor so infamous dead space vsync is no issue. It looks much much better than the previous games for sure.

the menu is like Hard Reset's except Hard Reset had an option to speed it up, haha.

anyways jesus christ I'm probably less than a third of the way through the game but if they'd showed this section instead of the snow planet stuff, nobody would have doubted this game and they'd have avoided much of the negativity we've had. Still not too impressed that we were apparently lied to about the universal ammo, it's in the final game and is NOT a placeholder as we were told. I suppose it was a necessary concession to streamline co-op and the weapon crafting system, though.

I'm on hard and the game's been throwing assloads of ammo and health at me...although I recently just burned through half of it. I forsee my situation deteriorating fast.

Plasma cutter + forcegun/linegun is so good it's keeping me from experimenting with other guns. I suppose it can't hurt to try though.

K' Dash

i5 2500K, 7850 getting smooth 60 maxed out,using D3DOverrider, zero drops, why are you having perfomance problems? Beats me.

Vitor711

Got up to chapter 2 and liking it so far. Started on Impossible.

Is the PC version only 30fps? I got everything maxed out on a 660ti/3570k and looks pretty good with SMAA on.

Turn off V-sync and the FPS should go up to the hundreds. No way to lock it to 60 with v-sync using the in-game options though, just like prior games. Clearly something to do with their engine.

I'm really not enjoying the first few hours. I may have to drop it from hard to normal because it doesn't feel like Hard was designed for anything other than New Game+. Enemies need several shots for a single limb to be severed and the early weapons fire so slowly that you get swamped too easily. I am having to conserve ammo a lot but it's just frustrating. Isaac's movement is the same as before but it's starting to feel clunky and can really get in the way, especially due to the tight corridors which don't exactly make his evade rolls easy to use. I'm usually all for a challenge but it just feels cheap what with the crazy distance closing moves that some of the enemies have at their disposal. I'm also someone who never uses stasis and never did in the previous games so this might be a factor but the gunplay just feels unsatisfying for me on hard right now.

I have this weird hunch that it might be a good idea not to just arbitrarily ignore a core facet of the game's combat!

Vitor711

No offense to your post or stance on the series, but see this is the back and forth mentality with games we get now a days. Sometimes they change too much (DmC for example) and people don't buy it. Stay to close to the same and people say it should have been an expansion, not worth the new game price tag. Though I'd say in this case, this is probably more a relief for people to hear since that proves it more of the Dead Space the fans have come to enjoy and not the other way around.

Yeah, it'll please some people for sure as it definitely feels the same but I fully recognise that I've kind of lost interest in the series.

I liked the original a lot more than most did on its release and liked the second a lot less than others. I still thought that number 2 was a very good game, just not to the same extent as a lot of the press seemed to. I've sort of had my fill of Dead Space's combat and on not having encountered any really 'new' enemies so far (humans and what appear to be actual zombies barely count as you fight them in exactly the same way) it's just starting to feel a little monotonous. I know that might just be me though.

For any ardent fans of the series who are eagerly anticipating this game, I haven't come across much that would rub them the wrong way. If anything, it might be exactly what they want.

Yeah, it'll please some people for sure as it definitely feels the same but I fully recognise that I've kind of lost interest in the series.

I liked the original a lot more than most did on its release and liked the second a lot less than others. I still thought that number 2 was a very good game, just not to the same extent as a lot of the press seemed to. I've sort of had my fill of Dead Space's combat and on not having encountered any really 'new' enemies so far (humans and what appear to be actual zombies barely count as you fight them in exactly the same way) it's just starting to feel a little monotonous. I know that might just be me though.

For any ardent fans of the series who are eagerly anticipating this game, I haven't come across much that would rub them the wrong way. If anything, it might exactly what they want.

If you finish it I'm curious to know your final thoughts :D

Vitor711

I have this weird hunch that it might be a good idea not to just arbitrarily ignore a core facet of the game's combat!

It's not arbitrary. The first two games conditioned me to completely ignore it as it was pretty much worthless outside of the puzzles.

And it's not so much the lack of stasis that is tipping the balance in the enemy's favour but how vastly underpowered the weapons feel. I certainly prefer my horror protagonists to be more on the vulnerable side but when it takes an entire clip from your high powered line cutter to fell a single enemy,the guns just don't feel good to shoot.

Give me more aggressive enemies in larger packs for a better challenge instead of just nerfing my damage. Right now I just feel crippled as a player. RE4 did this right. The guns still felt great to shoot on harder difficulties as you could still bring down enemies quickly but you had to be more careful in doing so as you went down just as easily.

I really do think that hard might be geared around a New Game+ playthrough but I don't know for sure. I could be wrong. I could just suck at this game but, considering how easily I beat the prior entries on the tougher difficulties, I don't feel like that's the case.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Stasis has always been a huge part of DS combat. In some scenarios, it's even absolutely necessary. I can't imagine fighting the regenerating enemies without using stasis. I can see how it would be possible, but you'd be screwed on ammo.

You should also be using kinesis a lot. Ripping the arm-blade off of a dead slasher and using it to impale another enemy is a pretty basic strategy. When you're in the beginning of the game and your weapons are weak, it's a godsend.

Mupod

It's not arbitrary. The first two games conditioned me to completely ignore it as it was pretty much worthless outside of the puzzles.

And it's not so much the lack of stasis that is tipping the balance in the enemy's favour but how vastly underpowered the weapons feel. I certainly prefer my horror protagonists to be more on the vulnerable side but when it takes an entire clip from your high powered line cutter to fell a single enemy,the guns just don't feel good to shoot.

Give me more aggressive enemies in larger packs for a better challenge instead of just nerfing my damage. Right now I just feel crippled as a player. RE4 did this right. The guns still felt great to shoot on harder difficulties as you could still bring down enemies quickly but you had to be more careful in doing so as you went down just as easily.

I really do think that hard might be geared around a New Game+ playthrough but I don't know for sure. I could be wrong. I could just suck at this game but, considering how easily I beat the prior entries on the tougher difficulties, I don't feel like that's the case.

enemies don't hesitate and circle like they used to, which was a holdover from RE4. There's things you can do with the crafting system that counteract their more aggressive behavior, but yeah early on it feels at first like your guns are too weak. Especially the line gun, which was my go-to weapon in the older games. But then you realize that you can be MUCH more liberal with your ammo usage and do things like stunlock with the force gun.

I'm not getting the feeling at all that hard mode is too difficult, if anything I'm having a much easier time than I did on survivalist in DS2 or hard mode in DS1, which I used on my first playthroughs of both games. As I said above I'm swimming in health and ammo and I haven't died in combat yet, in chapter 6. I did reset a couple times after bad ambushes right after checkpoints, but I haven't even had to do that as much as I did in the previous games.

Kinesis is still just as powerful as it was in 2, but I feel it's not as necessary due to the ammo thing. Also the barfy guys are more mobile so you can't use their projectiles as I-win buttons as easily. It's still damn good though.

Top Bottom