• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Stasis has always been a huge part of DS combat. In some scenarios, it's even absolutely necessary. I can't imagine fighting the regenerating enemies without using stasis. I can see how it would be possible, but you'd be screwed on ammo.

You should also be using kinesis a lot. Ripping the arm-blade off of a dead slasher and using it to impale another enemy is a pretty basic strategy. When you're in the beginning of the game and your weapons are weak, it's a godsend.

Well let me say, making a weapon with stasis effects is fun. I have a grenade launcher with these and it's great... Until I shoot it too close to my enemies, get some splash damage, and now I'm the one in slow motion. Max Payne Issac! lol

Vitor711

Stasis has always been a huge part of DS combat. In some scenarios, it's even absolutely necessary. I can't imagine fighting the regenerating enemies without using stasis. I can see how it would be possible, but you'd be screwed on ammo.

You should also be using kinesis a lot. Ripping the arm-blade off of a dead slasher and using it to impale another enemy is a pretty basic strategy. When you're in the beginning of the game and your weapons are weak, it's a godsend.

Yeah, stasis was absolutely needed for those regen assholes. Forgot about those.

I also did rip off the arm blades from dead enemies in previous games but the environments so far feel a lot tighter, and it feels a lot trickier to do than previously. I keep seeming to rip off legs by accident and throwing those at enemies just seems to mildly irritate them.

I guess I just don't remember the guns feeling this underpowered in previous games. Or maybe that's memory not serving me well. Even on hard though, I feel like a single line cutter shot to an arm should do more than just stagger a basic enemy.

Deadbeat

Banned
Turn off V-sync and the FPS should go up to the hundreds. No way to lock it to 60 with v-sync using the in-game options though, just like prior games. Clearly something to do with their engine.
Well if they cared about fixing this they would have a game ago.

Well, the ol' Dualshock Six-axis that came with my launch system has a dead battery and can't work without being attached to the system (why is the stock USB cable so short?). It's been an issue for a while, but I figured I was never letting the controller charge enough since I don't spend much time on that system.

Will still be playing the game, but now I have to move almost all the furniture every time I start and end a session.

Vitor711

enemies don't hesitate and circle like they used to, which was a holdover from RE4. There's things you can do with the crafting system that counteract their more aggressive behavior, but yeah early on it feels at first like your guns are too weak. Especially the line gun, which was my go-to weapon in the older games. But then you realize that you can be MUCH more liberal with your ammo usage and do things like stunlock with the force gun.

I'm not getting the feeling at all that hard mode is too difficult, if anything I'm having a much easier time than I did on survivalist in DS2 or hard mode in DS1, which I used on my first playthroughs of both games. As I said above I'm swimming in health and ammo and I haven't died in combat yet, in chapter 6. I did reset a couple times after bad ambushes right after checkpoints, but I haven't even had to do that as much as I did in the previous games.

Kinesis is still just as powerful as it was in 2, but I feel it's not as necessary due to the ammo thing. Also the barfy guys are more mobile so you can't use their projectiles as I-win buttons as easily. It's still damn good though.

I guess my issue might have been the fact that I was doing my old DS2 habit of always selling a third to half of my ammo as soon as I got to an upgrade bench because I always had too much. Definitely made things tricker. Plus, with the new crafting system and ingredients needed for each weapon, hording credits doesn't seem to be as abusable as before.

Quick question, do I still have my plasma cutter? Because I made the line gun at the first work bench you come across and it's replaced it. Do I have to dismantle it to get it back because the line gun just feels like a bag of hot garbage right now? Or is the plasma cutter not really that much better for where I am (doing the first optional objective)?

Also, is it just me or is anyone else having a massive delay between pressing reload and Isaac actually starting the damned animation? It definitely feels like he doesn't start changing clips as soon as ammo runs dry. Although, even changing weapons feels a lot slower than I'd like as you have to confirm the selection instead of just hitting a direction on the d-pad.

Some PC screens:

deadspace32013-02-0615-31-16-07.png

deadspace32013-02-0615-42-19-81.png

deadspace32013-02-0616-25-37-56.png

deadspace32013-02-0616-35-14-39.png

Well my review is done. I forgot to change something at the very end but... I'll leave it be. Just the wrong general play time. Not going to re-render for that. :p I even poke fun and discuss the dude bro type PR stuff at the start. The real meat of the review starts after that.

Is Direct2Play a legitimate site like GmG or is it on the iffy side? Asking because they have it for 40 which is tempting. And no one responded when I asked last time, I played Dead Space 2 on PS3 and ME Series on 360, can I just download pc saves of both games and get the unlocks?

Mupod

I guess my issue might have been the fact that I was doing my old DS2 habit of always selling a third to half of my ammo as soon as I got to an upgrade bench because I always had too much. Definitely made things tricker. Plus, with the new crafting system and ingredients needed for each weapon, hording credits doesn't seem to be as abusable as before.

Quick question, do I still have my plasma cutter? Because I made the line gun at the first work bench you come across and it's replaced it. Do I have to dismantle it to get it back because the line gun just feels like a bag of hot garbage right now? Or is the plasma cutter not really that much better for where I am (doing the first optional objective)?

Also, is it just me or is anyone else having a massive delay between pressing reload and Isaac actually starting the damned animation? It definitely feels like he doesn't start changing clips as soon as ammo runs dry. Although, even changing weapons feels a lot slower than I'd like as you have to confirm the selection instead of just hitting a direction on the d-pad.

as far as i know you can't destroy/sell the weapon parts you have, and the line gun uses different parts from the plasma cutter. You should be able to just remake the plasma cutter again. You need to equip the 'rotary cuff' or whatever on the bottom part of a small weapon frame, and it only works with the plasma cutter. If the line gun 'replaced' the PC then the old gun probably just went in your bank, if you dismantled it then the parts are probably still available.

In my case the first thing I did when finding a bench was set myself up with forcegun/linegun on the left d-pad and plasma cutter on the right d-pad, which I figured out from playing the demo on 360 a while back. The UI for customization was a bit confusing but I wrangled with it in the out-of-game testing area quite a bit in the demo so I'm comfortable with it now.

I rely more on my line gun (it has +damage mods and can take off limbs in one shot now) but the PC still gets the job done. I have the planet cracker one from having a dead space 2 save which is more powerful but reloads much slower. The 'special' weapons seem to just be new tip attachments which have slightly different functionality than the regular ones, and the preorder/promotional suits just seem cosmetic.

Vitor711

as far as i know you can't destroy/sell the weapon parts you have, and the line gun uses different parts from the plasma cutter. You should be able to just remake the plasma cutter again. You need to equip the 'rotary cuff' or whatever on the bottom part of a small weapon frame, and it only works with the plasma cutter. If the line gun 'replaced' the PC then the old gun probably just went in your bank, if you dismantled it then the parts are probably still available.

In my case the first thing I did when finding a bench was set myself up with forcegun/linegun on the left d-pad and plasma cutter on the right d-pad, which I figured out from playing the demo on 360 a while back. The UI for customization was a bit confusing but I wrangled with it in the out-of-game testing area quite a bit in the demo so I'm comfortable with it now.

I rely more on my line gun (it has +damage mods and can take off limbs in one shot now) but the PC still gets the job done. I have the planet cracker one from having a dead space 2 save which is more powerful but reloads much slower. The 'special' weapons seem to just be new attachments which have slightly different functionality than the regular ones, and the preorder/promotional suits just seem cosmetic.

Thanks, will do that! I kept running into those dog-spitter things and only having the SMG and the Line Cutter meant that they were a huge pain once they started jumping on walls as I couldn't get the aim orientation in line with their tentacles.

That being said, the SMG is actually really good against the generic enemies. It takes a whole clip to drop them but if you aim well you can still take out limbs fast.

I got an added reload mod for the Line Cutter but it felt like nothing changed. I guess the damage ones are more substantial? Only found one so far.

I have the line-gun/forcegun combo. It doesn't seem like the forcegun does any damage though. Is that just for crowd control? It knocks enemies back which gives you breathing time but it never seems to kill them and you also can't fire it instantly after a line gun shot which is mildly annoying. Still, I could definitely see it as being useful to have there.

I'll probably start experimenting with Stasis more. I'm just so used to conserving ammo and items that I never want to use a stasis pack or run down my stasis meter in case I get in trouble. DS3 seems to hand out the recharge packs quite regularly though (which I should again stop insta-selling at the bench).

Mupod

Thanks, will do that! I kept running into those dog-spitter things and only having the SMG and the Line Cutter meant that they were a huge pain once they started jumping on walls as I couldn't get the aim orientation in line with their tentacles.

That being said, the SMG is actually really good against the generic enemies. It takes a whole clip to drop them but if you aim well you can still take out limbs fast.

I got an added reload mod for the Line Cutter but it felt like nothing changed. I guess the damage ones are more substantial? Only found one so far.

I have the line-gun/forcegun combo. It doesn't seem like the forcegun does any damage though. Is that just for crowd control? It knocks enemies back which gives you breathing time but it never seems to kill them and you also can't fire it instantly after a line gun shot which is mildly annoying. Still, I could definitely see it as being useful to have there.

I'll probably start experimenting with Stasis more. I'm just so used to conserving ammo and items that I never want to use a stasis pack or run down my stasis meter in case I get in trouble. DS3 seems to hand out the recharge packs quite regularly though (which I should again stop insta-selling at the bench).

Force gun damage is pretty crap but I don't use it for damage. It is interesting in that it seems to apply 'elemental' damage from the extra attachments - I have one that electrocutes and the forcegun is applying it with its shots. Gonna be fun when I get stasis or acid shots.

I didn't like the SMG and dismantled it immediately.

I've always used the linegun to one-shot Lurkers and there's a similar multi-tentacled enemy in this game on top of those...but when they get up on the walls I bust out the PC. That's honestly all I use it for aside from opening crates in zero-g...maybe I'll switch to some other weapon.

I'm just focusing on +damage mods so far. Fire rate seems really useful too since I cycle between force gun and line gun shots, but there's a delay between firing them. In the past games I always focused completely on damage and capacity upgrades.

I made the right decision getting it on PC. Now I have to wait for the disc to get here tomorrow.

I don't think he's even maxed out, it looks better than that ingame. There's a few options that aren't enabled by just setting graphics to max and you need to go to custom to turn on AA AF etc.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
This is the only part of your comments I agree with (you've never used stasis before in a Dead Space game? really?):

Also, the in-game model for the main female protagonist is cringe-inducingly awful. Everyone around here is dressed in space suits and work clothes and she's walking cleavage. I wouldn't take as much issue if it just didn't stand out as much as it does.

Really disappointed with Ellie's character design - it's absolutely ridiculous. She's basically a pair of boobs with a tiny little face now. :(

In any case, I'm really enjoying the game now. Looks absolutely gorgeous (the lighting! :eek:) and I'm having no performance issues so far (PC version).

I don't think he's even maxed out, it looks better than that ingame. There's a few options that aren't enabled by just setting graphics to max and you need to go to custom to turn on AA AF etc.

I maxed out everything in the custom graphics settings, unless the shots I took were just bad.

Also, what's the point of the Electrical Engineering Interface mini game thing?

JoeFenix

I just played the demo, can someone please tell me what the fuck happened to Dead Space?

First of all the slow walk "atmospheric" sections can be fast forwarded by you holding L1 and just walking forward which makes those look completely goofy and pointless. The backroll animation has to be the jankiest looking animation in a big budget game this generation.

The cover system is.... wait why is there even fucking cover? Why am I fighting humans? Why?

The hit feedback on guns is non existent, enemies just burst into torsos with no blood, it just swaps models. The enemies look like ass too, ice climber necromorphs with yellow eyes and mouths, they look comical. Man, I can't believe how terrible this demo was, me and my buddy were dying of laughter the entire time. Not what you want from a horror game...

Judging from this demo I wouldn't even play this if someone gave it to me, it's that bad! Please tell me the full game feels entirely different and this is just a bad joke!

I just played the demo, can someone please tell me what the fuck happened to Dead Space?

First of all the slow walk "atmospheric" sections can be fast forwarded by you holding L1 and just walking forward which makes those look completely goofy and pointless. The backroll animation has to be the jankiest looking animation in a big budget game this generation.

The cover system is.... wait why is there even fucking cover? Why am I fighting humans? Why?

The hit feedback on guns is non existent, enemies just burst into torsos with no blood, it just swaps models. The enemies look like ass too, ice climber necromorphs with yellow eyes and mouths, they look comical. Man, I can't believe how terrible this demo was, me and my buddy were dying of laughter the entire time. Not what you want from a horror game...

Judging from this demo I wouldn't even play this if someone gave it to me, it's that bad! Please tell me the full game feels entirely different and this is just a bad joke!

Joe... my friend... buddy... have you not been seeing some of the posts in here from me and others? :D Come on now! :p Hold up. Let me send you a pm here!

Wanny

Okay guys don't panic if you only played Chapter 1. It really is that bad compared to the rest of the game. I'm very enjoying it now. All good.

Cheesh... Don't scare me like that anymore.

I still don't trust you with this game in particular :)P) but I have paid off my pre-order.

Two days more for us Aussies ;_;

You don't have to trust me. (or the other people in here posting about it) :D That's quite alright. I'm sure for some this will be a disappointment, but a lot of peoples fears will be put to rest once they get to chapter 2 and onward.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
This PC conversion is far from a straight port. It looks a lot better than the console versions, the menus and controls are better than those found in many PC-only games, and the system.txt config file in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\EA Games\Dead Space 3 lets you change the FOV.

Default:

1.4:

A bit too wide for my tastes, so have settled on 1.2.

Video review right here for those gaf members that enjoy my unconventional reviews. A bit of a skit for the first minute give or take. After that the meat of the review. Dude Bro gaf members. I still wuv you. Not too spoiler-ish either.

delta25

Banned
This PC conversion is far from a straight port. It looks a lot better than the console versions, the menus and controls are better than those found in many PC-only games, and the system.txt config file in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\EA Games\Dead Space 3 lets you change the FOV..

it's a straight port in the sense that outside your basic option ie. resolution, AA, af and a faster FPS the PC version isn't any better than the console version in terms of overall visuals

AndyBNV

Nvidia
it's a straight port in the sense that outside your basic option ie. resolution, AA, af and a faster FPS the PC version isn't any better than the console version in terms of overall visuals

You forget the addition of ambient occlusion, screen space reflections, light accumulation, and full-res textures.

delta25

Banned
You forget the addition of ambient occlusion, screen space reflections, light accumulation, and full-res textures.

what, where are you getting this from? I'm pretty sure the PC version has no additional features that arn't all ready on the console version.

RoKKeR

All this excitement has me excited. Excite.

First big game I've been pumped for all year. The impressions seem positive post-Chapter 1.

jediyoshi

Looking through the PC settings now. Lol, wasn't this supposed to be a bare bones port? Aside from high res textures, it's got about all I'd want to tweak with

Top Bottom