• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Andrew.

Banned
Via Reddit

zD9nFmX.jpg

"Make sure you drink your Ovaltine"

Grisby

Picked it up earlier today and just finished playing chapter 2. I like the world building attempt at the start if the game but those human enemies can suck it. I'm only playing on normal but all they do is stand there.

The set pieces have been fun and in some sections I felt the old dead space creep climbing up the back of my neck. Still mostly in the tutorial stages it seems like so I can't comment on any big combat encounters yet.

Also, single player is exactly that so far it seems. No dude following you around or anything. I'm gonna beat it first as Issac and then go in for co-op on round two.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Geis having a mental breakdown on twitter due to his review.

In short It's not aids meds so quit bitching

I haven't played the game or demo so I have no idea if it's great or trash but the melt down is highly entertaining.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Sods bloody law. I ordered this Monday night and nothing turned up today but oddly got shipping confirmation that my copy of The Art of Dead Space is on its way. I don't want to peek at it and spoil the game but the hassle of picking up a copy at retail and then returning my amazon order is too much of a pain. I guess I'm just lazy but still judging by the impressions in here I'm still 50/50 on this.

I just caved on the Art Book. Looks fucking gorgeous.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/5/3951292/the-art-of-dead-space-3

stufte

Er... right, because me posting a funny image is tantamount to me calling the entire game stupid. Don't be so defensive.

I'm not saying you said that, but it has been used as a reason to hate on the game in other places and by other people. It's a hilarious image, but no reason at all to dismiss the game wholesale.

I'm watching a walkthrough on youtube and my lord the whole love triangle plot is monumentally stupid and forced. Who thought that would be a good plot point? Ugh.

Some of the early stuff looks good though, just doesn't seem like it has as much context as the first game or the same amount of story to keep you going from fetch quest type repair to fetch quest repair. Like, in the first game everything was new and you were constantly uncovering more about the necromorphs whereas in DS3 it seems like there isn't as much new story stuff to kind of push you through, at least early on.

I'm not saying you said that, but it has been used as a reason to hate on the game in other places and by other people. It's a hilarious image, but no reason at all to dismiss the game wholesale.

So tell them, not me.

There are plenty of other reasons I'm disappointed with the game so far, I just think the image is hilarious. We were also talking about redesigned characters and character models in general, so it's a pretty apt picture.

Eideka

Banned
On the PC, vsync still limits the game to 30 fps. Thank god. because fits the atmosphere much better.

I don't see how 60fps hurts the atmosphere, the game is way more responsive at 60 frames per second and since it's a video games I'm playing it makes sense to play it that way, for me.

Apdiddy

I don't mind that Ellie has...grown bigger breasts but
what happened to her missing eye? Does Dead Space 3 at least have an explanation as to why her eye is now back or even say that some of the events from DS2 were in Isaac's head only? If not, that's pretty bad....someone wasn't even paying attention to the story from DS2.

Muffdraul

That's what I thought. Wasn't sure though becuase it seemed like a longer time jump.

And thanks.

I assume he meant it's been two years since DS2 was released. That's what I assumed you were asking. No idea how long the gap is between DS2 and 3 narrative-wise. Two years? How convenient!

It is so easy not to buy this game, Origin, generally lukewarm reviews, straight console port, dlc, microtransactions, shootbang, coop, $60.

Thanks EA.

what happened to her missing eye? Does Dead Space 3 at least have an explanation as to why her eye is now back or even say that some of the events from DS2 were in Isaac's head only? If not, that's pretty bad....someone wasn't even paying attention to the story from DS2.

Your not the first person to ask this, and also meaning that many people just don't explore. Log, right in Isaacs apartment. Start of chapter 1.

Eideka

Banned
I think (hope) he was being sarcastic.

Mind you I've seen folks on GAF holding such opinion.

I can respect that still. Many games chase a cinematic feel aesthetically speaking and I can understand why 30fps may be seen as the way to go for some people yet I firmly believe 60fps is always better.
It does not degrade anything...It enhances the experience in my opinion, true for every games.

You hope? No it was not sarcasm. Maybe I'm just used to it because of my time with DS1 on the console, but the game just looks off at 60fps
Fair enough that's your opinion. For my part I couldn't even force myself to play it at 30fps...60 all the way.

I think the game has been intended to be played at 60 given how it makes the encounters much more enjoyable.

netguy503

don't they say in the very beginning of the game in a cutscene or text log or something that ellie has a plastic eye now but they couldn't get a color to match her original one so she has two separate color eyes now.

Edit: Slasher was typing as I was typing. lol He can type and stream at the same time. That guy can surely multitask. All while he's sick too.

don't they say in the very beginning of the game in a cutscene or text log or something that ellie has a plastic eye now but they couldn't get a color to match her original one so she has two separate color eyes now.

Edit: Slasher was typing as I was typing. lol He can type and stream at the same time. That guy can surely multitask. All while he's sick too.

LOL I'm a trooper!

Ghazi

You hope? No it was not sarcasm. Maybe I'm just used to it because of my time with DS1 on the console, but the game just looks off at 60fps
I could understand that, my first jump from console to PC was disorienting at first to say the least.
Mind you I've seen folks on GAF holding such opinion.

I can respect that still. Many games chase a cinematic feel aesthetically speaking and I can understand why 30fps may be seen as the way to go for some people yet I firmly believe 60fps is always better.

Yeah, some games do go for that cinematic feel but only so many actually get it right. Dead Space is not a game that was meant to be in that tier imo. But I could see how people playing on consoles could be used to it.

nel e nel

That's what I thought. Wasn't sure though becuase it seemed like a longer time jump.

And thanks.

Dead Space 1 came out October 2008

Dead Space 2 came out January 2011

Dead Space 3, February 2013

So they've been pretty evenly spaced out in that ~2 year range.

CyReN

just started

holy crap, this is dead space, scary and mysterious then
bam you are fighting guards or something in the city.
What a 180 from a great start. Hope that doesn't continue.

Mupod

just started

holy crap, this is dead space, scary and mysterious then
bam you are fighting guards or something in the city.
What a 180 from a great start. Hope that doesn't continue.

It doesn't. Hope you like derelict spaceships
I do

So about three to four hours in on a co-op run on Impossible difficulty.

The co-op turns the game into a run and gun / shoot and loot fest like Borderlands 1 and 2. Zero sense of suspense.

Going to try the solitary experience to see if that helps.

Surprisingly, the create-a-gun mode seems pretty well done and not the microstransactional nightmare I anticipated.

It doesn't really start very strong however.

Grisby

Dead Space 1 came out October 2008

Dead Space 2 came out January 2011

Dead Space 3, February 2013

So they've been pretty evenly spaced out in that ~2 year range.
Yeah, I meant how long had passed in the games universe. Not real life. 2008 doesn't feel that long ago though now that you lay it out.

nel e nel

Yeah, I meant how long had passed in the games universe. Not real life. 2008 doesn't feel that long ago though now that you lay it out.

Ahhh. Well, just started a fresh run of DS2 this week to get psyched, and I believe Daina tells Isaac that's he's been out of it for 3 years.

Top Bottom