• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

FOV Fix for PC-version

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dead_Sp...view_.28FOV.29

Edit config file to change FOV

Open %LOCALAPPDATA%\EA Games\Dead Space 3\system.txt
Search for the line Window.FOVScale
Change the value from 1.00000000 to a higher one (default FOV is around 75 degrees).
Save your changes.

Default 75
Default_fov.jpg

FOV 82.5
FOVscale_1.1.jpg

FOV 90
FOVscale_1.2.jpg

FOV 97.5
FOVscale_1.3.jpg

FOV 105
FOVscale_1.4.jpg
this really helped out, the FOV is way to narrow by default.

Also thanks devs for still putting in classic aiming, even though its buried in the options. It so much better.

RoKKeR

Finally started playing co-op with my partner. The game becomes even more fun with a friend, we've been having a blast.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I cheated and watched YouTube videos and all I can say is, I hate being broke. Really want this game.

I just don't feel like... just because there's a human threat and more action setpieces that it isn't Dead Space. This game feels completely like a Dead Space game. The original, when it comes to horror elements, isn't some masterpiece IMO. It was reliant on dark corridors, weird noises and sudden monster appearances. Whoop de doo, Basil. Nothing exceptional there. It was technically awesome, superbly detailed, and a great game, but nothing about it really struck me as being fantastic from a creative horror angle. I wasn't disturbed or moved to stop playing out of fear or tension. And that's fine; it was more of a shock-horror game and that type of horror doesn't do much for me.

That's what Dead Space 2 and 3 are. Yes, there's more "action setpieces" and human enemies, but it's completely organic with the narrative. It doesn't feel out of place whatsoever concerning where the story has been heading, and all the elements that I personally liked about the first two remain intact 100%. So far the first couple of hours have mixed together action, shooting elements, and atmosphere damn near perfectly. What I enjoy about it is how jarring the "quiet" sequences are when you find them, and there are plenty. That contrast from going between an action heavy shootout to some silent, atmospheric room is great.

Yes, it has a lot of action, and co-op, and weapons closer to what you'd find in any other shooter, and whatever else people are complaining about, but so far it also has pretty much every single element that I associate with the first two titles. It doesn't feel like some distant relative. There's simply more variety combined with all the elements that I feel make Dead Space what it is. This is not Resident Evil 6 compared to Resident Evil 1, it's not even RE6 compared to RE4. Everything about it feels familiar with a bit more action, story, and the occasional human enemy encounter-- which again feels perfectly organic with the story direction.

jediyoshi

I just don't feel like... just because there's a human threat and more action setpieces that it isn't Dead Space. This game feels completely like a Dead Space game. The original, when it comes to horror elements, isn't some masterpiece IMO. It was reliant on dark corridors, weird noises and sudden monster appearances. Whoop de doo, Basil. Nothing exceptional there. It was technically awesome, superbly detailed, and a great game, but nothing about it really struck me as being fantastic from a creative horror angle. I wasn't disturbed or moved to stop playing out of fear or tension. And that's fine; it was more of a shock-horror game and that type of horror doesn't do much for me.

I think you're confusing when people say 'like classic Dead Space' with strictly its good parts or in the context that it was a perfect game to begin with. Those arguments aren't typically contrary to whatever particular direction you think the series has taken, just that it's strayed away from its original tropes. By virtue of you listing throughout your entire post the ways in which it differs from the first game is exactly that point.

That's what Dead Space 2 and 3 are. Yes, there's more "action setpieces" and human enemies, but it's completely organic with the narrative. It doesn't feel out of place whatsoever concerning where the story has been heading, and all the elements that I personally liked about the first two remain intact 100%. So far the first couple of hours have mixed together action, shooting elements, and atmosphere damn near perfectly. What I enjoy about it is how jarring the "quiet" sequences are when you find them, and there are plenty. That contrast from going between an action heavy shootout to some silent, atmospheric room is great.

Yes, it has a lot of action, and co-op, and weapons closer to what you'd find in any other shooter, and whatever else people are complaining about, but so far it also has pretty much every single element that I associate with the first two titles. It doesn't feel like some distant relative. There's simply more variety combined with all the elements that I feel make Dead Space what it is. This is not Resident Evil 6 compared to Resident Evil 1, it's not even RE6 compared to RE4. Everything about it feels familiar with a bit more action, story, and the occasional human enemy encounter-- which again feels perfectly organic with the story direction.

yep. I'm up to Chapter 6, and maybe just because of everyone harshing on Chapter 1 it set my expectations for that chapter low, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I guess I missed a side quest in chapter 5, because apparently I only did 1 of 2. Is the other co-op only or did I ignore something?

The shuttling between ships is great, aside from that LOL video (playing the PC version).

I doubt my opinion will change down on the planet surface even if it gets more linear like Dead Space 2, but so far, the four or so hours I played were great. The weapon crafting seems fun, even if I'm basically going to stick to the old 'upgrade the fuck out of the plasma cutter' strategy. I'll get something else specked up for crowd control.

As with both other Dead Space PC ports, I think the PC port is great. Sure you have to do a tweak or two (D3D overrider, whatever), but they look fantastic and run like butter.

Action and horror don't work against each other, for me. Alien is better and scarier than Aliens, imho, but Aliens is still fantastic, and so far at least, so is Dead Space 3. Very tense. Having lots of ammo doesn't stop me feeling like a very fragile meat bag, at least so far.

I think you're confusing when people say 'like classic Dead Space' with strictly its good parts or in the context that it was a perfect game to begin with. Those arguments aren't typically contrary to whatever particular direction you think the series has taken, just that it's strayed away from its original tropes. By virtue of you listing throughout your entire post the ways in which it differs from the first game is exactly that point.

Well, that's just the thing, I don't personally feel that it lacks any of those tropes. It just has more things to it in addition to them; they're all there. So far. I get what you're saying and I'm not exactly going to discredit your words, because it depends strictly upon perspective. I just don't think this game, so far, is that much of a departure from its predecessors, particularly Dead Space 2. However, if you were turned off by Dead Space 2, I can see one also being turned off by this as well. It depends upon how strict you are when it comes to those tropes; if you believe that it is only Dead Space through those tropes and those tropes alone, and that any other interference shakes the foundation, I can see why you'd be upset about 2 or 3.

However, so far, like I said it feels completely like Dead Space to me and I hope it retains that feeling. If not, that'd be a shame.

What is a shame, in favor of offering a bit of negativity, is the DLC and prices of DLC. Fucking abysmal.

Is it hard to kill things for anything else? I'm rockin' the plasma cutter as usually, but either I'm a really shit shot or the necromorphs have beefed up their arm armor. I can't even cut off a limb before they gang up on me. Then I'm wasting a ton of ammo b/c I want to cut off limbs and use kinesis, but the game (so far) doesn't really seem balanced for that.

I'm on Normal btw.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
When do you get the resource bot?

Chapter 4, I believe.

Another question about the bot: have people had luck putting it down whereever or does it need to be placed in a resource gathering location (denoted by the radar screen pinging off when you've reached it) for it to actually collect anything.

iFirez

Just starting my second playthrough on New Game + & Impossible difficulty. Got to a suit kiosk to notice that I had unlocked the Engineering Suit from Dead Space 1. Took a few screenshots of it here in the first "space area" to avoid spoilers.

Anyway, loving the game - was surprised that ending
wasn't anything like recent video game endings like Mass Effect 3 or Assassins Creed 3, this was much much more normal of an ending... won't go into any more details out of a spoiler thread.

A couple of hours in and I'm loving it so far, though the combat against humans has definitely been the weakest part, it's a shame they felt the need to include it, or at least, couldn't find a way to make it work (which I guess would be hard without completely changing the game).

Looking for a coop partner on PS3.
Add me, let me know you're from GAF and want to play DS3.
I'm in EST time zone and can play most nights til late.

Replicant

Story and Characters-

This is what killed the game for. There is so much stupidity to discuss in regards to the overall narrative but then there is also the horrible characterization. I want to first start off by saying how horrible the love triangle is. Absolutely atrocious cringeworthy shit that has no business being in the game in the first place and then isn't executed remotely well. Robert Norton, the other end of the triangle, is such a dick that
the twist that he worked with the Unitologists, isn't a twist at all
. In fact I thought Norton would play a bigger role in the story but nope, was a complete waste of time that would have been better served establishing the link between Ellie and Isaac. The love triangle also brought down Ellie as well and reduced some of the later potential romantic moments with Isaac and her. You never get the sense that Ellie gives a shit about you, and the ending confirms that. There was also the stupid design of Ellie in the beginning but she looks much better planet-side. Absolutely stupid writing. One test of a good character in a romance is that even if there wasn't a romance angle, would the character still be interesting? Norton himself is a poorly realized character and sure as hell fails that test. He's a shallow plot-mechanic that is never fleshed out to any appropriate degree. Carter is another somewhat shallow character in the single player. He might be fleshed out in the co-op but if he's going to play as big a role in the single-player anyway, then you need to give him appropriate screentime. As it stands, he's an utter ass and just serves to yell at people. Isaac himself is nowhere near as believable as his Dead Space 2 version. In DS2, the audience sees Isaac come to grips with Nicole's death and his trauma from the Ishimura. All that is gone. Too much of the first half is spent on the stupid love triangle and the later half is just him doing things and the whole inner discussion in DS2 is completely lost. There is also the rest of the crew but they're a bunch of redshirts so it apparently doesn't matter. The main villain is also poorly written in the "I want to be God" type aspect. Simon Templeman though does a fantastic job voicing him.

As for the narrative, it's complete and utter shit. There is literally only one good aspect about it and then 30 minutes later it gets negated by something of such amazing stupidity that I'm stunned that it wasn't nixed in a meeting. The final boss battle will consist of most people shaking their heads and asking why. I mean the Dead Space games never really had an outstanding story but both games and fairly decent twists that were properly established and not only that but decent cathartic moments such as "Fuck you and fuck your marker" then really helped to solidify the stories. None of that shit here. Danik is insanely incompetent and the Necromorphs are never fleshed out to an appropriate degree for a climax game. Then there is the ending which is absurdly abrupt. There is none of the emotion or even complexity in storytelling such as the hallucinations in DS2. It's fairly straight forward in the stupidest manner possible.

:(

The story was the big part why I love DS2. That and Isaac. I just want to see Isaac finally be happy.

Salz01

Holy shit, only on chapter 3 and this is awesome. Game delivers so far for sure. I even liked the prologue.
Love the visor illuminating the area. Nice touch.

Grisby

Argh I took on a side mission with the intent of just playing a few minutes and then quitting. What felt like an hour later I still hadn't seen the saving progress deal so I had to complete it.

Also, I don't know if the enemies are just more aggressive but I feel like Ive been cheap shotted one too many times.

ironcreed

Banned
I went ahead and picked up 1 and 2 again on the Playstation store because I love them both so much and regretted selling them. Good buys at 14.99 and 19.99.

SystemBug

Played quite a bit of it so far and I'm failing to see the game as a 7. Way better than AC3 though. Like WAAAAAY better.

I'm also noticing that the gaming press does tend to shit on legitimately good games. It happened with Dragon's Dogma and even Spec Ops: The Line

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So is that your way of saying you're not enjoying it?

It's okay. Production values are through the roof, so the game looks and animations gorgeously. The art team really know their shit. That's the best stuff.

I think it's pretty bland on the gameplay front though. Not bad, made well enough, but...missing something. It's like, they've upped the anti in the action so it's far less tense and scary (even less so than Dead Space 2), but at the same time stuck to the formulaic Dead Space design. Shoot the same Necros in the same way you did for the past two games. More drag-and-drop power blocks and rails with stasis. Blast through space. None of this played badly in the previous two games so that's great, but the "more of the same" vibe is hard to shake at this point on.

But I am still pretty early in. And to be perfectly frank wasn't a big fan of Dead Space 2. Especially the narrative, which I didn't like at all. The adoration for Ellie is something I've always found baffling, and I maintain that making Isaac a voiced character was a huge step backwards from the atmosphere captured by the first game.

Dead Space probably just isn't for me.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I missed the tutorial. How do you open these spaceship doors with kinesis?

Edit: oh, got it.

Played quite a bit of it so far and I'm failing to see the game as a 7. Way better than AC3 though. Like WAAAAAY better.

I'm also noticing that the gaming press does tend to shit on legitimately good games. It happened with Dragon's Dogma and even Spec Ops: The Line

My impression with many of the more luke warm reviews (and what I've seen from only watching a walkthrough of the game today) is that the early stuff in space is solid and people really like that. Thats the stuff that feels like good ol' Dead Space.

Its once you get down on the planet that things start becoming more obviously repetitive and less interesting.

Final boss is a joke, absolute cake even on hard

My impression with many of the more luke warm reviews (and what I've seen from only watching a walkthrough of the game today) is that the early stuff in space is solid and people really like that. Thats the stuff that feels like good ol' Dead Space.

Its once you get down on the planet that things start becoming more obviously repetitive and less interesting.

I agree, game peaks around chapter 12

5 chapters in and loving it.

The DLC and MTX drama is so overblown it's ridiculous. Meaningless stuff in the game.

It's a fantastic flipping game so far. I was ready to be pissed about the mtx but wow it's not even worth thinking about so far.

I'm on Chapter 4 I think. Maybe 5? I don't think I have a scavenger bot yet and I haven't gotten much resources together. I am really digging the crafting, so I wanna collect a lot more stuff so I can experiment more.

Lots of people hate Chapter 1 cause of the human enemies, but I really dug at least seeing more of the DS universe. The moon is like a city from Blade Runner, it's kind of awesome. The zero-G and space is fucking gorgeous. Visceral always nails the "space" element. Story's alright so far. Hasn't quite grabbed me like DS1 and DS2, but I'm liking it. I love the backstory though, of SCAF and the craziness of what's going on. Art and sound design is fantastic as always. Norton's such a dick, lol. Game looks gorgeous. Gameplay is ridiculously fun as always.

Seriously, all the zero-G makes me so happy. I find it relaxing. I quite enjoy the soundtrack of the game as well.

I'm taking the game slow. So I'll finish for the night here in Chapter 4/5ish... (I'm at the first optional side mission,
the USS Greely
?) Stopped there. I miss the old save system though.

Anyone else love in Chapter 1, Isaac's first use of stasis? "Oops"

I laughed my ass off.

How does the scavenger bot work? It didn't do anything for me after I let it loose when the radar started flashing. (first encounter)

Nevermind, figured it out.

Nizz

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Stopped there. I miss the old save system though.
They changed the save system? So it saves automatically at checkpoints or something? The game hit just when I have a lot of bills to pay, will get it eventually.

RoKKeR

I'm on Chapter 4 I think. Maybe 5? I don't think I have a scavenger bot yet and I haven't gotten much resources together. I am really digging the crafting, so I wanna collect a lot more stuff so I can experiment more.

Lots of people hate Chapter 1 cause of the human enemies, but I really dug at least seeing more of the DS universe. The moon is like a city from Blade Runner, it's kind of awesome. The zero-G and space is fucking gorgeous. Visceral always nails the "space" element. Story's alright so far. Hasn't quite grabbed me like DS1 and DS2, but I'm liking it. I love the backstory though, of SCAF and the craziness of what's going on. Art and sound design is fantastic as always. Norton's such a dick, lol. Game looks gorgeous. Gameplay is ridiculously fun as always.

Seriously, all the zero-G makes me so happy. I find it relaxing. I quite enjoy the soundtrack of the game as well.

I'm taking the game slow. So I'll finish for the night here in Chapter 4/5ish... (I'm at the first optional side mission,
the USS Greely
?) Stopped there. I miss the old save system though.

Anyone else love in Chapter 1, Isaac's first use of stasis? "Oops"

I laughed my ass off.
Agreed with almost everything. But I did hate Chapter 1. :p

I put in 5 hours today: 2 alone and 3 with my co-op buddie. I've REALLY enjoyed it so far, and started to even more so when my friend joined. We got to Chapter 6 and
holy shit at that section before you get on the tram. That's going to be impossibly hard on Hardcore.

The one discouraging this is, looking through all of the achievements, this game looks like its going to be REALLY tough to 100%. It's going to require a lot of playtime, so I hope it holds my interest. So far so good.

This game is SICK. I'm about 4 hours in and it's looking to be a 16-ish hour long adventure. My favorite one so far. The co-op is sick. I teamed up with some random girl and we just put in work lol. Very exciting. G.I. Gave the most reasonable review so far. I like Carter a ton too. That beginning sequence!

Playing as a different soldier from 200 years ago! That was fucking tight.

Hope it sells 5 million+ so I get another one.

Yeah, I loved that! Neat prologue, I actually wish it lasted longer, I wanted to see more of
Tim dealing with the fucked up colony

Yea, I thought we were going to get to fight the colony hoard
until the general busted a cap in our ass and then his own lol.

I kind of wanted to see more city as well, to see how the DS universe functions, like with the automated highway, red moon apartments, little details like that. Can't wait to put more time in. The story about discovering the true origin of the markers is really sucking me in.

And we had our first animal necromorphs! I was wondering how they were going to replace the babies.

SPOILER THREAD is now up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511905

If you wanna discuss the ending and future of the DS universe, maybe head on over there to prevent people from accidentally getting spoiled.

Yea, I thought we were going to get to fight the colony hoard
until the general busted a cap in our ass and then his own lol.

I kind of wanted to see more city as well, to see how the DS universe functions, like with the automated highway, red moon apartments, little details like that. Can't wait to put more time in. The story about discovering the true origin of the markers is really sucking me in.

And we had our first animal necromorphs! I was wondering how they were going to replace the babies.

Yeah, I got tired of
the babies too

I agree. I hope future games show more of that. We only get glimpses, but I absolutely love the art direction of this game and I love seeing this vision of such a grimy future.

It's okay. Production values are through the roof, so the game looks and animations gorgeously. The art team really know their shit. That's the best stuff.

I think it's pretty bland on the gameplay front though. Not bad, made well enough, but...missing something. It's like, they've upped the anti in the action so it's far less tense and scary (even less so than Dead Space 2), but at the same time stuck to the formulaic Dead Space design. Shoot the same Necros in the same way you did for the past two games. More drag-and-drop power blocks and rails with stasis. Blast through space. None of this played badly in the previous two games so that's great, but the "more of the same" vibe is hard to shake at this point on.

But I am still pretty early in. And to be perfectly frank wasn't a big fan of Dead Space 2. Especially the narrative, which I didn't like at all. The adoration for Ellie is something I've always found baffling, and I maintain that making Isaac a voiced character was a huge step backwards from the atmosphere captured by the first game.

Dead Space probably just isn't for me.

This is another case of developers thinking bigger budgets will create better games. Great design can't be bought, the only aspect money can help on is those superficial ones like the art and set pieces.

Wonder what DS2 would be like if DS1 wasn't a critical darling.

This is another case of developers thinking bigger budgets will create better games. Great design can't be bought, the only aspect money can help on is those superficial ones like the art and set pieces.

Wonder what DS2 would be like if DS1 wasn't a critical darling.

It probably wouldn't exist.

Whoever invented those raptor necromorphs, the ones that peak out of cover deserves a fucking raise. Those things STILL scare the shit out of me.

This game is SICK. I'm about 4 hours in and it's looking to be a 16-ish hour long adventure. My favorite one so far. The co-op is sick. I teamed up with some random girl and we just put in work lol. Very exciting. G.I. Gave the most reasonable review so far. I like Carter a ton too. That beginning sequence!

Playing as a different soldier from 200 years ago! That was fucking tight.

Hope it sells 5 million+ so I get another one.

Have you played the first two?

How old are you?

Seriously.

Top Bottom