• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Moff

the fact that Necros seem to show zero reactions when shot at. They just soak up the rounds and then crumble apart.

are you using the gun only?
with the plasma cutter and many other weapons you can easily dismember the necromorphs, just like in the other 2 games. feels and plays exactly the same.

humans is another issue though.

Jarmel

Banned
with the plasma cutter and many other weapons you can easily dismember the necromorphs, just like in the other 2 games. feels and plays exactly the same.

Plasma cutter and ripper are awful in the game. Use the SMG barrell for the military gun and it becomes godlike.

Andrew.

Banned

Well starting off yeah I was using the Cutter, but now I've got the Evangelizer with the shotgun attachment and Ive pumped a bunch circuits into it so Im just walking around using stasis and then blasting knees. Works quite well. The PC is my secondary weapon, but only because I havent found anything worthwhile to replace it yet. I hear the Force Gun is pretty useful, but I havent found the blueprints for it.

The human AI is ridiculously dumb, at least in Chapter 1. They literally just fucking stand there for seconds before doing any sort of action. It makes headshots a breeze, and quite frankly, kind of a joke. It does look cool though when you pop one of their melons.

And does anyone know where the sidequest locations are in Chapter 4? It baffles me that I missed them as I've been scouring every level like crazy for loot etc.

Moff

Plasma cutter and ripper are awful in the game. Use the SMG barrell for the military gun and it becomes godlike.

isnt the "military" tool already the barrel part of the gun? which parts exactly do you mean?

I play on hard and I am somewhere on chapter 10 and the plasma cutter (standard, NOT planetcracker) is incredibly strong. shooting of limbs and heads with 1 shot. I use the military gun (evangelizer) only for small, fast and weak enemies.

Jarmel

Banned
isnt the "military" tool already the barrel part of the gun? which parts exactly do you mean?

I play on hard and I am somewhere on chapter 10 and the plasma cutter (standard, NOT planetcracker) is incredibly strong. shooting of limbs and heads with 1 shot. I use the military gun (evangelizer) only for small, fast and weak enemies.

I'm not looking at the menu screen(in class) but I thought that was part of the frame. The barrel part is the thing that affects the spread, such as whether it's an assault rifle or SMG. I might be getting the title of the part wrong though.

big_z

no it doesnt feel the same. randomly you can one shot a limb off but for the most part they seem to have their own health bars so it feels like you have to pump a few shots to even get a reaction. it doesnt help that everything moves at super speed and is rubbing chests with you in the time it takes to reload a gun. tbh with enemies right up on you so fast you might as well just dump rounds into them as you can clear a room faster than trying to aim shots. shooting limbs went from strategic in previous games to inefficient in this one.

Moff

I think you might be right
but anyway I dont think I already found the SMG barrel, not sure though, I found a barrel for the military gun that increased fire rate but decreased damage, maybe its that one. but I usually prefer accurate weapons with high damage, so I didnt try that one out on live enemies.

Jarmel

Banned
I think you might be right
but anyway I dont think I already found the SMG barrel, not sure though, I found a barrel for the military gun that increased fire rate but decreased damage, maybe its that one. but I usually prefer accurate weapons with high damage, so I didnt try that one out on live enemies.

There are multiple barrels that affect fire-rate. One is an assault-rifle barrel that increases fire rate and there is another that is a SMG-like barrel that also increases fire-rate. There's other stuff like a sniper-rifle barrel that I can't imagine is remotely useless.

Moff

no it doesnt feel the same. randomly you can one shot a limb off but for the most part they seem to have their own health bars

yeah, well. I played DS2 to check this out, and its exactly the same. in the beginning you cant shoot of legs, only tentacles. legs take multiple shots.
in DS3, its exactly the same, you cant shoot off legs, but tentacles, mutated arms with 1 shot. there is nothing random about it. at all.

its very much the same.

O.DOGG

no it doesnt feel the same. randomly you can one shot a limb off but for the most part they seem to have their own health bars so it feels like you have to pump a few shots to even get a reaction. it doesnt help that everything moves at super speed and is rubbing chests with you in the time it takes to reload a gun. tbh with enemies right up on you so fast you might as well just dump rounds into them as you can clear a room faster than trying to aim shots. shooting limbs went from strategic in previous games to inefficient in this one.

This is another issue I have with the game. I played through most of it using the plasma cutter but it is actually pretty bad here, even fully upgraded. Although dismemberment works, it is not as effective in this game as it was in the previous titles - the enemies are too many and way too fast for you to effectively aim and take them apart. A much better strategy is to invest in the highest damage output you can. I found the military engine with precision tip to be very effective in most situations.

ironcreed

Banned
retroncucr.png

That looks killer. I have heard so much shit about this game from both sides of the fence. Looking forward to getting my copy from Gamefly in order to draw my own conclusions away from all the noise of the internet. I re-bought 1 and 2 on the Playstation store last night. If I end up digging 3, then I will eventually buy it as well.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It doesn't, but you can rotate it around to see his face.

Ah that's what I was thinking of, forgot that you had to do it yourself manually.

That is scary :(

Though not to worry, I reached 14 now and I'm enjoying this more than the ~2-3 chapters leading up to it and from the looks of it the game is heading towards another direction thematically which I'm happy to see.

How much easier is this game then Dead Space 1 and 2? I Found DS1/2 to be a challenge later on on normal setting and was always struggling for ammo

Andrew.

Banned
How much easier is this game then Dead Space 1 and 2? I Found DS1/2 to be a challenge later on on normal setting and was always struggling for ammo

I'm playing on hard and they dump so much ammo and health onto you that it feels like the challenge is completelty stripped away.

That is until three or four Necros bum rush you and you start firing away out of panic. That's when all of those health and ammo packs become really useful.

RoKKeR

Ah that's what I was thinking of, forgot that you had to do it yourself manually.

Though not to worry, I reached 14 now and I'm enjoying this more than the ~2-3 chapters leading up to it and from the looks of it the game is heading towards another direction thematically which I'm happy to see.
That's good. Most longish linear campaigns reach a dull point near the middle. I'm still in the
space junkyard exploration
section and am loving the concept of it all right now. Extremely cool area.

K' Dash

My basic line gun sucks, any tips to make it like the previous ones?

I have upgraded rate of fire a lot and it still sucks, and it doesn't do remotely the same damage as the previous games.

Andrew.

Banned
With a pair of Turtle Beaches, the sound production in this game is through the fucking roof. I had my friend almost shit himself twice last night.

Very easy, even on the hard difficulty. What will probably annoy you is:

• Enemies, seemingly, have little reaction to shots
  • Enemies, seemingly, have much more health causing their rushing tactics to give more value to the kinetic module
  • Fewer checkpoints than DS1 or DS2, so you will likely redo a lot of running/fighting to progress

I played it on Impossible for a good while, but it was the checkpoint system that broke my spirit :(

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I'm playing on hard and they dump so much ammo and health onto you that it feels like the challenge is completelty stripped away.

That is until three or four Necros bum rush you and you start firing away out of panic. That's when all of those health and ammo packs become really useful.

I'm only up to chapter 7 and the game has already slapped me with regenerators several times. You will definitely need those consumables.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm only up to chapter 7 and the game has already slapped me with regenerators several times. You will definitely need those consumables.

Regenerators are only in three chapters of the game and the final bit is in the last optional side mission.

Andrew.

Banned
I still dont get how I missed both side missions in Chapter 4. Does anyone know where they are located or how to trigger them?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I still dont get how I missed both side missions in Chapter 4. Does anyone know where they are located or how to trigger them?

This is when you're in the
little shuttle craft in space right? When you first enter the shuttle craft you're provided with a screen that allows you to pick one of four ships to travel to. Two of the ships are the side mission locations - one of them is the single-player side mission, the other is the co-op side mission.

Vitor711

If you finish it I'm curious to know your final thoughts :D

About just over half way through (at the Coring Platform drill section) and I am enjoying it more than at first. While I appreciated the more open ended objectives of the initial space sections, the fact that I didn't at all understand weapon crafting and felt brutally underpowered was a massive issue, especially playing on hard.

Didn't help that the first time the game teaches you how to 'upgrade' weapons, it replaced the PC with the shitty, terrible starting line-gun.

I finally crafted some decent weapons not long after that, attached a bunch of damage mods and the combat is finally enjoyable. I'm rocking a Plasma Cutter with a powerful underslung revolver and a bouncing line-gun with a shot-gun nail gun on top of it. It's certainly made encounters more fun, especially as I've started to use stasis a lot more.

That being said, I still hate the way that when enemies swarm you, or happen to spawn right on top of you, you're pretty much boned unless you bothered to equip the force gun, which I never use. Melee is worthless and Isaac's movement is starting to feel super clunky when limited to tight corridors which means your evade roll is not as useful as it could be.

I still don't think it reaches the heights of either DS1 or 2 but I'm not as underwhelmed as before. The crafting and loot I find to actually be the best parts of the game and I've yet to run into the repetition I've heard is endemic to the Tau Valantis side missions (first one I found seemed pretty well made).

Andrew.

Banned
This is when you're in the
little shuttle craft in space right? When you first enter the shuttle craft you're provided with a screen that allows you to pick one of four ships to travel to. Two of the ships are the side mission locations - one of them is the single-player side mission, the other is the co-op side mission.

Maybe Im still on Chapter 4 because
I just entered that S.S. Galley or whatever derelict ship thats out there in oribit and a side mission prompt appeared on the screen.

Mupod

My basic line gun sucks, any tips to make it like the previous ones?

I have upgraded rate of fire a lot and it still sucks, and it doesn't do remotely the same damage as the previous games.

With +6 worth of damage circuits and +2 in RoF on the preorder line gun (faster fire rate, lower damage) I can still kill most necros in 1-2 shots. Force gun knockdown into line gun almost always kills slashers and leapers. On hard mode chapter 9 for reference, although I have acid bath now which helps a bit. I aim for the arms to try and take both off at once.

I agree that early on it was disappointing that the line gun doesn't have the overwhelming power it did in the past games, but it doesn't devour your money to keep it supplied with ammo now. I will say in DS1 and DS2 I liked making my line gun shots count without reloading so I could make it to the next bench, upgrade capacity and get a full magazine for free. A holdover from RE4 I liked in that game too.

def sim

Amazon just sent me an email saying I saved three cents on my purchase with their pre-order price guarantee. Thanks, I guess!

Dr Dogg

Well just got in and sadly no Dead Space 3. Oh well at least this turned up.

Just had a brief flick through and it's exceptionally good quality, not just the artwork but it has an awful lot of insight into the design process of the series as well.

Mike M

Nick N
Playing on normal, the Evangelizer seems ridiculously OP. But I... I can't put it down... : ( That shotgun function is like a security blanket to me, drops almost everything, and anything that gets back up goes down with a couple rifle shots, tops.

Rocking the N7 armor with maximum item capacity too. Why did you give me these things, EA? I have them, I can't not use them. I'm so weak : (

Mike M

Nick N
Wait the N7 rig gives you more item slots? I thought the rigs were only cosmetic now.

Hmmm, pretty sure the EVA suit had the last row of item slots blocked off. Or maybe that was just Isaac in his leather jacket. Or I'm misremembering entirely.

Top Bottom