• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Tacitus_

Finished it on 'hard'. Wasn't really that hard, but then again these games have never really been that hard for me. Rolled through the game with plasma cutter + smg and force + explosive launcher and other than a few choice moments it was all smooth sailing. PC with +2dmg in all upgrade circuits does absolutely ridiculous damage and oneshotted limbs from normal necros. Speaking of necros, they staggered really badly when I hit them so I don't know what's going on with your games.
All in all, a solid sequel for DS2, but I feel it lacked that special something to make it really stand out.

This may sound stupid, how do you change suits?

Find a suit kiosk. Suits themselves don't come with upgrades (not sure about the DLC suits) and the armor upgrade is rolled into your rig upgrades.

Awww man, first time going physical copy on PC in a long time, and it just so happens that my package is perpetually delayed due to inclement weather.

Muffdraul

Played up to ch. 6 or 7 before I called it a night. So far for the most part it's been pure Dead Space as far as I'm concerned. Completely worthy of the franchise. I realize there are a lot of chapters left to go, so I'm not casting final judgement yet. But up to this point I feel silly for ever having doubted.

AwShucks

There is so much ammo that you can win every battle by practically spraying everything. In Dead Space 1 (and 2 to a lesser degree) every shot had to count and you always had just enough to survive.

I'll agree with this. But in my admittedly short time so far I don't think it falls flat as a Dead Space game like you said. The first 1.5 hours, while at times more heavy on the action, are VERY much Dead Space. The pacing is quicker sometimes (that goes with the heavy action) but the majority of this first part I played was slow going, creepy, and had great environments that felt like Dead Space.

Now I have read a few reviews that say the first half is the best part, so I could be walking into disappointment. I hope not.

Mike M

Nick N
The prologue and Chapter 1 are kinda rough, but by the time Chapter 3 rolls around, it's mostly the old school Dead Space experience.

Granted, I'm only on Chapter 4 (Cleared the side mission in the Greely before calling it a night), but for the time being the fighting humans bullshit is gone, and the over-the-top action sequences that Isaac improbably survives seems to have tapered off at least temporarily. I really miss the Isaac going crazy aspect though, I don't think I fully appreciated how much that lent tself to the atmosphere of despondent hopelessness until I was left with nothing but jump scares.

Game's still young though.

Wanny

YES!!!!! I Finally found shadows casting from flashlight! It only took 11 chapters for this effect to appear for the first time! -_-

135kr2.png

I still don't think it reaches the heights of either DS1 or 2 but I'm not as underwhelmed as before. The crafting and loot I find to actually be the best parts of the game and I've yet to run into the repetition I've heard is endemic to the Tau Valantis side missions (first one I found seemed pretty well made).

Good to hear man. Yeah that's what I stated in my video review concerning weapon creation. At first like WTF, then Ok, then awesome love it. :D Glad to see your getting more enjoyment out of it though.

jdl

Banned
Well just got in and sadly no Dead Space 3. Oh well at least this turned up.

Just had a brief flick through and it's exceptionally good quality, not just the artwork but it has an awful lot of insight into the design process of the series as well.

I was considering picking this up. Does it span 1-3 or is it mostly focused on art from 3?

Muffdraul

YES!!!!! I Finally found shadows casting from flashlight! It only took 11 chapters for this effect to appear for the first time! -_-

I thought the new cool effect of the glow from helmet visors casting colored light on the environment even from a distance kinda made up for it. =P

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I thought the new cool effect of the glow from helmet visors casting colored light on the environment even from a distance kinda made up for it. =P

I agree which makes me extra sad that it appears that the helmet visor casting light is also contextual and not ubiquitous.

Vitor711

Good to hear man. Yeah that's what I stated in my video review concerning weapon creation. At first like WTF, then Ok, then awesome love it. :D Glad to see your getting more enjoyment out of it though.

I still wouldn't consider it a great game persay but definitely enjoyable. I was actively disliking it at the start though so it's certainly come a long way. Right now it feels like the very definition of a 7/10 for me at least.

Dr Dogg

I was considering picking this up. Does it span 1-3 or is it mostly focused on art from 3?

Covers all 3 of the main games (nothing on Extraction or Severed sadly) and is fairly evenly distributed. They way the book is laid out is that each section covers a certain topic ie Isaac himself, Mining Tools, Necros and The Culture of the Dead Space universe and has content from all 3 interwoven through out them. Some bigger sections break each game down piece by piece and in total it's 192 pages in length.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director

Actually that's in DS2 as well. It just only shows up in dark areas. But it happens, like when the power goes off the trash area in the apartments near the beginning.

As for the flashlight casting shadows, I think it happens a lot more than you think. But it's always been that casting a light source from a light near the camera (Isaac's gun) isn't really that readable. So we turn if off frequently to use that shadow ability on a different light that impacts the scene more (we have a limit on how many simultaneous shadow casters we can use)

Muffdraul

Actually that's in DS2 as well. It just only shows up in dark areas. But it happens, like when the power goes off the trash area in the apartments near the beginning.

As for the flashlight casting shadows, I think it happens a lot more than you think. But it's always been that casting a light source from a light near the camera (Isaac's gun) isn't really that readable. So we turn if off frequently to use that shadow ability on a different light that impacts the scene more (we have a limit on how many simultaneous shadow casters we can use)

The visor glow in DS2 games was much more subtle though, you had to get up close to a surface for it to really light up. In DS3, it's like a sunbeam through a stained glass window. Love it.

Jharp

Just got to Chapter 5 and... does the game get any better? So far it's really fucking boring. And just kind of a slog.

Fighting humans is entirely uninteresting, and fighting Necros for the 3rd time now just isn't enjoyable. The gruff "I ain't yer friend, dickhole" guy, the over the top action IT PLAYS ITSELF pseudo-cutscenes. Game just kind of... fucking sucks. It's generic as hell and wicked boring. I didn't pay for it, so I'm not at all opposed to just stop playing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Dead Space 3 scares me.

It’s a deep fear – one that hunkers in the pit of your stomach, scratching with a quiet, whispering dread of things to come. It’s that pulsing trepidation to face the next experience, constantly looking over my shoulder to the safe places I’ve left behind.

Dead Space 3 scares the shit out of me.

It scares me with its sounds – the sounds of machine guns, explosions tearing through huge, open set pieces. The sound of the wind ripping past you as you control-free fall through an air pregnant with the wreckage of trains, spacecraft and unmanned transports.

It scares me with its world – a world rife with disease and decay, apparent in the copious, engulfing sea of health packs strewn about haphazardly in every nook, cranny, and hallway. A world where mining equipment, military hardware, and surgical tools all function through the use of the same, omnipresently-littered “ammunition”; A world where the latter seems to have occurred if only to accommodate the former.

It scares me with its pacing – as headshots and taking cover give way to slow crawls through darkened hallways. With every curse I utter as I stop dead in my tracks pulling up my navpoint line after a quickly-progressing shootout.

But most of all it scares me because it doesn’t scare me anymore.

It scares me because I’ve seen this before, the cancerous progression of a series as story, atmosphere, and emotional response drop away, rotting off to reveal the decaying hulk of shooting runs, chest-high-walls and a sense that this world’s Bill Gates and Steve Jobs created the modular ammo clip and retail health pack.

It scares me because this is the future. A future that keeps my mind ever conscious of what I’ve left behind.

Source

Just got to Chapter 5 and... does the game get any better? So far it's really fucking boring. And just kind of a slog.

Fighting humans is entirely uninteresting, and fighting Necros for the 3rd time now just isn't enjoyable. The gruff "I ain't yer friend, dickhole" guy, the over the top action IT PLAYS ITSELF pseudo-cutscenes. Game just kind of... fucking sucks. It's generic as hell and wicked boring. I didn't pay for it, so I'm not at all opposed to just stop playing.

IMO the first half of the game is way better than the last.

def sim

I'd forgotten the 360 version of DS2 has a "save" for the disc swap. I totally wasted a save too early on my hardcore run. :(

Jharp

Sounds like you don't like Dead Space. That's fine, not sure why you bothered with Dead Space 3 though.

I loved Dead Space 1. Beat it three times, the third time on Impossible with just the plasma cutter. Wicked fun.

Dead Space 2 was okay. Played through it once and never had any urge to go back to it. But like I said, I didn't pay for Dead Space 3 so there was no reason not to play it. Well, now I have a reason not to play it, because it's total balls, but if you're "not sure why I bothered with Dead Space 3," it's because it was free.

Wanny

No offense but Visceral are so so so much better at making interiors of a base or a spaceship or making sequences of zero gravity in space. Everything else is just... not the same quality.

I just reached Chapter 14 and that base looks bloody hell amazing indoors.

TentPole

Holy shit warning: Impossible is really fucking hard!

I just died around 20 times on the second single-player side mission. It is much harder than a fresh run of the hardest difficulty in the past two games and I am still pretty early on.

Andrew.

Banned

I just died around 20 times on the second single-player side mission. It is much harder than a fresh run of the hardest difficulty in the past two games and I am still pretty early on.

I hear you'll probably have a blast at the end of Chapter 5...

def sim

ilwUiWZJiG4OZ.gif

awesome

Grisby

Reached the planet. I'm having some ups and downs on the game but I'm enjoying it overall. I like getting the side missions and going off the beaten path to complete them.

I also enjoy the loot aspect, strangely enough. It finally feels like Issac is a real engineer and the experimenting is fun.

Also this might as well be a 'The Thing' game. Love the icy atmosphere.

haikira

Just finished the game on hard. Worth mentioning i completed it in single player and with zero DLC. I didn't use the two DLC codes i got with my purchase on GreenManGaming.

The Good
+ PC Port looks great and worked perfectly for me. Getting it day one with the console release was also great and a rarity these days.
+ The space stuff was brilliant and perhaps the best in the series.
+ The crafting system worked well and i found myself wasting a lot of time messing around with it.
+ The antagonist was good and performed with just the right amount of hamming it up.
+ While there were signs of it being a game designed for coop, Visceral definitely weren't lying when they said single player wasn't going to suffer for it. I didn't feel like i was being punished for not playing coop.

The Bad
- The second half doesn't hold up as well as the first. It's good, but i found it dragged its feet a bit and was definitely padded out. I would have preferred an hour shaved off the game.
- Getting bum rushed by feeders got a little tedious at times.
- The puzzles were mind Numbingly easy and just plain redundant. Perhaps they were more enjoyable in coop, but i doubt it.

Overall a very good in game, in my opinion. I think i prefer the first two, but this still felt like a worthy followup and compared to other game franchises which have tried to reach a wider audience, i think this one comes out the best. It retains its identity and still feels like a true Dead Space game. Many of the new additions work well and the crafting system not only adds more depth, it fits in with Isaac being an engineer. Also, having only one ammo type now, isn't as bad as i initially thought it would be. Before past games dropped ammo for your equipped guns, so i don't see it as a dumbing down, but rather removal of something that was redundant.

All just my opinion, of course. But i had a great time with it and a few nit picks aside, i was very pleasantly surprised by this game.

Andrew.

Banned
it is indeed sir, in answer to The Thing being BC with 360

And the more I think about it, the more I want to replay it. It's very Dead Space-y, does survival horror well and does some interesting things in terms of gaining your squadmates' trust.

Top Bottom