• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

AwShucks

I loved Dead Space 1. Beat it three times, the third time on Impossible with just the plasma cutter. Wicked fun.

Dead Space 2 was okay. Played through it once and never had any urge to go back to it. But like I said, I didn't pay for Dead Space 3 so there was no reason not to play it. Well, now I have a reason not to play it, because it's total balls, but if you're "not sure why I bothered with Dead Space 3," it's because it was free.

I'm more curious why you think it's total balls? I love Dead Space, DS1 being my favorite PS3/360 game. I'm finding DS3 to be extremely enjoyable.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm more curious why you think it's total balls? I love Dead Space, DS1 being my favorite PS3/360 game. I'm finding DS3 to be extremely enjoyable.

I'm enjoying DS3, but I have to say I'm not feeling it as much compared to the original. Kinesis and Stasis were awesome innovations, but they haven't really changed overly much in the meanwhile. DS3 feels a lot like DS1 and 2, with the exact same telegraphed ambushes. The weapon crafting is amazing in its depth, but I don't think it really offsets the awful human encounters and lack of hallucination sequences (Well, I haven't encountered any yet, but they may be there.)

I still wouldn't consider it a great game persay but definitely enjoyable. I was actively disliking it at the start though so it's certainly come a long way. Right now it feels like the very definition of a 7/10 for me at least.

Understandble. I'm not going to lie, I'm known for liking and bringing up yet looking past alot of issues with games. Well basically my main thing is fun factor. Even though it's only a 7/10 so far for you, at least your enjoying it. Nothing makes me more sad face when seeing someone who really is excited for a new game get severely dissapointed.

I really enjoyed the first Dead Space, second one didn't do much for me. At this point I have no interest at all in the singleplayer of the third installment. People want to play coop with me, but I think that goes against all that I enjoy about Dead Space. Remoteness, isolation and terrifying atmosphere, a grand scheme of wonderfull set pieces. Playing this with someone somehow cheapens the experience, I feel.

Can someone point out the side misions which are actually worthwhile? I don't care about resource stuff so much so I only want to to play the ones that have some form of story like the Conning Tower one. I also heard some of the later ones use copy/paste design and tend to drag so I would like to avoid those.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
God damn Conning Tower was really hard for me. The plasma cutter isn't doing much for me in this game, getting swarmed too much.

todahawk

Good to hear! Can't wait to snag my copy Friday on the way home from work! I never did finish my plasma cutter only run on DS1...

Dried awesomeness.
True, I grew my first goatee (it was all i could manage at the time) because of Riker.

Xander51

So can those Resource Bots be sent off basically anywhere or do you need to be by a Bench/kiosks?

You can only deploy them in specific areas where you hear a special beeping sound/the radar screen on the bot turns green. Once you deploy one you can pick it up at any Bench once the timer expires.

I really enjoyed the first Dead Space, second one didn't do much for me. At this point I have no interest at all in the singleplayer of the third installment. People want to play coop with me, but I think that goes against all that I enjoy about Dead Space. Remoteness, isolation and terrifying atmosphere, a grand scheme of wonderfull set pieces. Playing this with someone somehow cheapens the experience, I feel.

I'm liking it so far, regarding your feelings on co-op, I feel similarly. I'd say it's fun for me, but in a different way. You do have to trade off full immersion in the world for a buddy's company. So, you're sort of trading one kind of fun for another, if that makes sense. I've already decided to go through solo after the co-op run to see the differences and also what it's like without my buddy rolling everywhere.

With regard to the co-op cutscenes - it's kinda funny how
in the scenes where you're about to be executed your pal is off somewhere out of frame. Like "Eh, this is your problem man lemme know when you're done"

Andrew.

Banned
You can only deploy them in specific areas where you hear a special beeping sound/the radar screen on the bot turns green. Once you deploy one you can pick it up at any Bench once the timer expires.

Ahhh ok. Now, second question: Does the Bot radar need to be equipped to hear the beeping or will it just happen automatically regardless?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ahhh ok. Now, second question: Does the Bot radar need to be equipped to hear the beeping or will it just happen automatically regardless?

You'll hear the beep when you're in the general vicinity of a "mineral deposit" or whatever you want to call it :D

edit : derp, yeah forgot to mention you don't need it equipped.

Tacitus_

You get a sound effect whether you have any bots equipped or not. Kept weirding me out since I ran into one in a side mission before getting a bot.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

You can deploy them whenever you'd like, regardless of the beeping. Now that I have two, I send one out whenever it's ready and save the other for the high-resource spots. No matter where you deploy them, they'll bring back resources. The beeping just indicates you'll get more.

nitric0

I can't get the game to be at 60fps. I tried RadeonPro and the AMD Vision Center. I have V-SYNC OFF in the game and forced it on using both RadeonPro and AMD VC and my FPS in game is at 80-90 with screen tearing. Anyone? I have a HD6870

You get a sound effect whether you have any bots equipped or not. Kept weirding me out since I ran into one in a side mission before getting a bot.

Me too, I kept on looking and looking for that "secret' I thought, Then gave up and said I must be missing something.

Eideka

Banned
I can't get the game to be at 60fps. I tried RadeonPro and the AMD Vision Center. I have V-SYNC OFF in the game and forced it on using both RadeonPro and AMD VC and my FPS in game is at 80-90 with screen tearing. Anyone? I have a HD6870

Try D3Doverrider.

Carnby

I'm on chapter 3 and very underwhelmed. I'm at the part where
I discovered Ellie is dating the captain of the ship, and Issac is bummed out by it.
So instead of space madness we get General Hospital (In Space)!

Bah, I'm just getting ready to go out and my copy of the game just arrived in the mail. Oh well, guess I'll delve into it later tonight. Feeling anticipation to play and bracing for disapointment at the same time. We'll see which feeling wins out...

AwShucks

lack of hallucination sequences (Well, I haven't encountered any yet, but they may be there.)

Yeah now that you mention it I'm in Chapter 4 or 5 and haven't seen one. I've read that Carver has them in co-op so when I beat SP and do that I'll definitely be Carver. I dunno, maybe Issac just has a grip on them by now?

Yeah now that you mention it I'm in Chapter 4 or 5 and haven't seen one. I've read that Carver has them in co-op so when I beat SP and do that I'll definitely be Carver. I dunno, maybe Issac just has a grip on them by now?

This was pretty much implied with the ending of DS2. Overcoming such gripes. Least that's how I perceived it. In co-op for the specific co-op missions, Carver does see these things.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

I thought this too, but it's not true. You can deploy them almost anywhere (haven't yet tried in space) - you don't need to have a green radar screen - and they'll go off and collect things - what they bring back will be much reduced however, in comparison to what they collect when the radar screen indicates a favorable location.

Reposting this now that it's daytime and more people might see it: I seem to have infinite ammo. Has anyone else run across this? I expend ammo when I shoot, but reloading doesn't change the stacks in my inventory. It's doing wonders for my scrap metal supply, but I didn't really want to "cheat" on my first playthrough.

Playing on Xbox btw, Normal mode.

Ricker

I didn't notice at the start of the game but what game engine is this? is it the same as the 2 first games?...maybe it's just me but playing on the 360,it looks awesome at times,like when you are in the gravity sections in space amongst all the wreckage and the lighting is great there but inside the corridors the characters look like they are missing some textures or something...it's very bland looking it seems at times,weird spikes in quality it seems hehe...

Game is good so far though,only reached chapter 4 but I like it...

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Due to finances, I probably won't be able to buy this game for a long, long time unfortunately. So, I watched the entire walkthrough on YouTube. I probably have little say in this since I can't actually play it, but from what I saw this is my favorite DS game so far. There's so much more variety and it all around looks more enjoyable. I can understand complaints but there's no "dude bro" moments that stand out. Everyone except Isaac is kind of a douchebag in this game and nobody really seems to be getting along. It has a real dark future feel and we finally get to see how gritty and nasty Earth (or more like Luna) life is which I think adds a bit to the horror element.

Also, and this is a major spoiler
that ending boss I thought looked fantastic. It's like Abadox in 3D and could practically be an homage. A moon sized Necromorph is quite insane but for me, this is done all quite well. Fantastic!

Anyways, kudos to you Visceral for an awesome game. I promise to give you my monies once I am able to.

Xander51

I thought this too, but it's not true. You can deploy them almost anywhere (haven't yet tried in space) - you don't need to have a green radar screen - and they'll go off and collect things - what they bring back will be much reduced however, in comparison to what they collect when the radar screen indicates a favorable location.

You can deploy them whenever you'd like, regardless of the beeping. Now that I have two, I send one out whenever it's ready and save the other for the high-resource spots. No matter where you deploy them, they'll bring back resources. The beeping just indicates you'll get more.

Ah that's interesting. Thanks guys, good to know!

Grisby

16516154_260.jpg

Ever play it? It's really quite good.
Ha, yep. I still own it. A direct sequel to the movie and hard, hard as balls. I never finished it because there was a glitch or something near my end game.

There were some neat ideas there with the teammate sanity deal but there were a lot of problems too.

I guess I should have prefaced that DS3 could have been the Thing 2 videogame.

TentPole

It is really not.

Bull shit. It is harder than a fresh run of impossible (DS1) or Zealot(DS2) by an order of magnitudes, do to the speed of enemies and how long it takes to get enough resources to get a decent gun. Maybe it is easier if you start with some awesome preorder guns, but going in fresh is much, much, much, harder.

Ha, yep. I still own it. A direct sequel to the movie and hard, hard as balls. I never finished it because there was a glitch or something near my end game.

There were some neat ideas there with the teammate sanity deal but there were a lot of problems too.

Good game but yes somewhat difficult and the control scheme isn't that great either! A new true The Thing game would be awesome with the graphical capabilities we have. Dead Space 3 is probably the closest will get to it. I'm still waiting for the game that makes me truly question all the NPC's around me.

Andrew.

Banned

Haha wow I never finished it either due to an end game glitch and I still own it too. It was indeed really, really tough. The trust system they implemented was pretty cool for its time and there really hasn't been anything like it since that I can remember. I guess maybe the closest thing to a trust system in game that I can recall off the top of my head is Binary Domain.

Lima

Bull shit. It is harder than a fresh run of impossible (DS1) or Zealot(DS2) by an order of magnitudes, do to the speed of enemies and how long it takes to get enough resources to get a decent gun. Maybe it is easier if you start with some awesome preorder guns, but going in fresh is much, much, much, harder.

Again no it is not.

I only use the upgraded plasma cutter that you get for having a DS2 save file and a line gun/force gun combo. I'm only in chapter 6 and the first hard encounter was at the end of chapter 5 which got a little hectic. I died two times there and easily made it on my third try once I knew how the battle played out.

They throw so much health packs at you that I can't even carry them all.

TentPole

Again no it is not.

I only use the upgraded plasma cutter that you get for having a DS2 save file and a line gun/force gun combo. I'm only in chapter 6 and the first hard encounter was at the end of chapter 5 which got a little hectic. I died two times there and easily made it on my third try once I knew how the battle played out.

I said fresh without any of the suped up weapons. Also I don't believe that you have only died twice. Did you even do the tower side quest?

Mike M

Nick N

On that note, I like how if your inventory is full, if you pick up a larger health pack, it will automatically use a smaller one to fit the new one. Wonder if Stasis packs do that too...

Grisby

Haha wow I never finished it either due to an end game glitch and I still own it too. It was indeed really, really tough. The trust system they implemented was pretty cool for its time and there really hasn't been anything like it since that I can remember. I guess maybe the closest thing to a trust system in game that I can recall off the top of my head is Binary Domain.
Good game but yes somewhat difficult and the control scheme isn't that great either! A new true The Thing game would be awesome with the graphical capabilities we have. Dead Space 3 is probably the closest will get to it. I'm still waiting for the game that makes me truly question all the NPC's around me.
Yep. Cool to see other dudes who have played it. A glitchy game but the teammate trust deal was interesting.

Come to think of it I really haven't seen a game other than Binary Domain use that feature and even that was relatively superficial (Thing teammates could turn on you). It might have been neat to see DS3 try something like that because of how many dudes your're saddled with in the beginning half of the game.

They would have probably had to cut the co-op aspect out but hey, might have been neat.

Lima

I said fresh without any of the suped up weapons. Also I don't believe that you have only died twice. Did you even do the tower side quest?

I said I died twice at that part, not that I didn't die a single time before.

Also that is a weapon you get for a DS2 save file. It is slightly more powerful than the regular cutter. You got the same thing in DS2 for having a DS1 save file. What do you want me to do with weapon? Sell it and delete my DS2 save and start over? Ridiculous.

And yes I just did the tower quest. Died a couple times but the checkpoints are generous so I don't think it is that bad.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I played DS1 and DS2 on their hardest difficulties on my first runs and 3 is not harder than either.

Anyone pick up the Tau Volantis Survival Pack? Are the new suits actually new or pallet swaps? I'll probably download them after I complete the game for my bonus runs.

TentPole

I said I died twice at that part, not that I didn't die a single time before.

Also that is a weapon you get for a DS2 save file. It is slightly more powerful than the regular cutter. You got the same thing in DS2 for having a DS1 save file. What do you want me to do with weapon? Sell it and delete my DS2 save and start over? Ridiculous.

And yes I just did the tower quest. Died a couple times but the checkpoints are generous so I don't think it is that bad.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I played DS1 and DS2 on their hardest difficulties on my first runs and 3 is not harder than either.

The Dead Space 2 plasma cutter was only a cosmetic deference. The four extra upgrade slots this one gives you are a huge difference. Also I am pretty sure you had to unlock the hardest difficulty in 1&2 so I am not sure what you are talking about.

Are you sure you aren't playing on hard?

Lima

Are you sure you aren't playing on hard?

Really dude?

Yes I'm playing on Impossible. Now that you say it, yes you had to unlock Impossible in DS1 which is why I played it on hard first time through. It's been a couple years you know so I may not remember all the details.

Zealot in DS2 was available from the start though.

Darn it, why can't we get the resource packs on PC? I got a bunch of Ration Seals just sitting there. EA isn't going to release them on Origin, are they?

Lima

Darn it, why can't we get the resource packs on PC? I got a bunch of Ration Seals just sitting there. EA isn't going to release them on Origin, are they?

I thought they said that the Origin platform supports DLC so that you are able to get them on PC as well?

Vitor711

God damn Conning Tower was really hard for me. The plasma cutter isn't doing much for me in this game, getting swarmed too much.

Conning Tower was total BS. I did it before I'd crafted any decent weapons - was using an SMG and the new terrible Line-Gun/Force-Gun combo. It's so easy to get caught in a corner, with no way out.

I really don't like the spawns in smaller environments, they just feel cheap.

Then, when you expect them to do so in larger environments where this might work (against the chicken runner things), they don't surround you and it's too easy to camp on one side of a doorway and never get hit.

Really weird level design/combat scenarios that don't take advantage of enemy traits much if at all.

I'd recommend attaching the revolver to the underside of the PC. It's wicked powerful and will take limbs off instantly, even without damage mods.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Is anyone else having lock-ups on co-op? (360)

Because I get them most of the time while going into a different area.

I'm very proud to say I beat the damn game 2 years ago after renting it when it first came out WAY back when. That game is very near to my heart, could use a re-make!

Anyway Isaac lost his glow from the visor when I started the game up again. Like the visor doesn't light up the environment(which now having lost it, I realize how helpful it was). Anyone else have this glitch or know how to fix it? Tried reloading, didn't do anything.

Top Bottom