• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Ezio

That's a great screen above. I can't wait for my copy to arrive. So in general are people disappointed with the game or?

That's a great screen above. I can't wait for my copy to arrive. So in general are people disappointed with the game or?

I don't know that we have an 'in general'. I want to say that people who weren't worried by the changes between DS1 and DS2, seem to really enjoy DS3. I want to say that people who still find it scary love DS3.

Anyone else have any observations?

O.DOGG

What do you feel has been dumbed down? I'm not that far but I feel if anything some systems were made more complex. Like crafting weapons or using kinesis in more interesting ways.

One of the problems I have is the universal ammunition. I understand that it's necessary for the weapon crafting system but it just destroys all the strategy that the previous games required. Back then you had to hoard ammo for specific weapons. Now you can just play with the most powerful weapons without concern for specific ammo types - you use your universal ammo, of which there's buckets of lying around which brings me to another problem I have with the game. There is so much ammo that you can win every battle by practically spraying everything. In Dead Space 1 (and 2 to a lesser degree) every shot had to count and you always had just enough to survive.

The crafting system is fine in that it certainly adds a layer of complexity but it also makes the choices the player makes inconsequential. You can always break down a weapon and make something new out of it. In DS1 and 2 you had to be very careful about which weapon you upgraded and by how much, as power nodes were scarce and expensive.
Another point is that the game practically bathes you in health items. No matter how serious the encounter you always have enough health to ensure your survival regardless of how carelessly you play.

I have other problems with the game too. It's certainly not *bad* but it falls flat as a Dead Space game.

Anyone else getting halts/chokes every minute or so? Fraps shows a solid 60, then it halts, then fps is about 20 and instantly jumps back up.

I've tried a wide variety of things;
Disabling VSYNC
Disabling VSYNC and enabling it in Nvidia Control Panel
Disabling random options such as SSAO
Un plugging XBOX360 dongle
Running the game Fullscreen/Windowed/Windowed Full Screen

Latest Nvidia drivers. GTX680M

O.DOGG

Anyone else getting halts/chokes every minute or so? Fraps shows a solid 60, then it halts, then fps is about 20 and instantly jumps back up.

Disabling VSYNC
Running the game Fullscreen/Windowed/Windows Full Screen

Set your shadows to "High" instead of "Soft" or "Soft High", disable vsync in game and enable it in your videocard control panel. That fixed it for me, it was smooth going at 60fps after that.

Disabling VSYNC
Running the game Fullscreen/Windowed/Windows Full Screen

the only time I've seen any kind of framedrop is when transitioning from one large area to another as it's either saving or streaming in new areas. for me this only happens very sporadically. are you noticing this at room transitions etc? I know I don't have the fastest hard drive. what about yourself? chokes can sometimes be because the engine isn't getting the data it needs in time.

Moff

You should definitely play on hard, at least in the first half of the game, there were some pretty close sitations fo me,I almost tuned down to normal. but by now I am again drowning in health and ammo, especially because you can craft it all.

but I fail to see how the crafting system is responsible for the universal ammo. the obvious choise would be to tie the ammo to the main part (called tools, I believe). the second part only determines HOW the ammo is used, so no problem there.

If I have some issues with this game its definitely the ammo, for me at least its kind of an important aspect in a survival horror game to have a lack of ammo and that you sometimes have to use another weapon because you shot out your favourite gun.

now I just have a gun with me for small and fast enemies and one for big and slow enemies.
its certainly not a gamebreaker for me though, its defitely fun to be a badass engineer and build your own custom weapons, I always carry the plasma cutter with me as well as a military rifle with a built in rocket launcher, flame thrower or ripper. depending on what I feel like at the moment.

Set your shadows to "High" instead of "Soft" or "Soft High", disable vsync in game and enable it in your videocard control panel. That fixed it for me, it was smooth going at 60fps after that.

Thanks for the reply. I shall try this in about 10 minutes and update my post.

Hope I don't need to upgrade my Laptop again anytime soon -.-

the only time I've seen any kind of framedrop is when transitioning from one large area to another as it's either saving or streaming in new areas. for me this only happens very sporadically. are you noticing this at room transitions etc? I know I don't have the fastest hard drive. what about yourself? chokes can sometimes be because the engine isn't getting the data it needs in time.

It seems to be random. I will have to pay more attention to the times it happens when I finish eating. I am running it on a Sata 3 SSD though so that shouldn't be the problem. If the above solution doesn't solve it I will try install it to the other SSD and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

EDIT: Hm, also wouldn't be the first game I have had an issue with on Win8. Also some problems outside of games(shutdown doesn't work for example...lol) Last resort I will try fresh install.

Update
Happens at random, not only when entering new areas. Changing shadows to high didn't help. Tried disabling a few more options such as post processing with no improvement. Yet to try installing on the other hard drive.

Worth noting it happens in cut scenes too. Even the menu.

big_z

With the pc version how to you cycle menus? i missed a few text logs and cant switch over from my inventory.

I'm only on chapter 6 so maybe things change but it doesnt really play like dead space anymore. The action is much more hectic, frequent and enemies move a lot faster and rush right towards you. The weapons no longer have the weight and impact they used to. Instead it feels like you're ticking down an invisible health bar while killing stuff and once you hit a point the enemy either dies or dismembers.

While it has the elements and visuals of a dead space, it plays like a C grade shooter. I'll finish it for the story but im disappointed a fair bit by the gameplay so far. I feel like im developing ADD while playing.

Ezio

With the pc version how to you cycle menus? i missed a few text logs and cant switch over from my inventory.

I'm only on chapter 6 so maybe things change but it doesnt really play like dead space anymore. The action is much more hectic, frequent and enemies move a lot faster and rush right towards you. The weapons no longer have the weight and impact they used to. Instead it feels like you're ticking down an invisible health bar while killing stuff and once you hit a point the enemy either dies or dismembers.

While it has the elements and visuals of a dead space, it plays like a C grade shooter. I'll finish it for the story but im disappointed a fair bit by the gameplay so far. I feel like im developing ADD while playing.

Thanks for the opinion. I have to see how this game is, so many mixed reviews.

O.DOGG

Those are some of my criticism as well, though I couldn't have put them in words this eloquently. Thanks!
I also found some areas to be padded too much - the whole game, actually. It could've been cut by about a third and it would have been a better game. Maybe that's just me though. Also the optional missions felt too similar to one another - and too long. Though I did enjoy their side stories revealed through audio recordings and text logs much better than the main plot line.

xero273

Anyone having a problem streaming on origin? i try to link my twitch account but it doesn't work. I get the enter username and pw for twitch. I typed it in but the same screen loads up again asking me for twitch credentials.

Loomba

Does anybody know if a XBL 2 day trial will allow me to play co-op with a buddy? Thought I'd ask instead of using it then finding out it doesn't work.

Exploration is pretty good. I love building weapons and farming materials.

I'm not having fun with DS3's combat, I can't quite peg what it is about it but something is different about the enemies' hit stun and/or patterns compared to the previous games. I dunno, I guess the previous necros were more telegraphed and didn't make a bee-line for you all of the time so you could solve battles like a puzzle and less like an action game. I played it on Impossible difficulty until the regenerator, the checkpoints were brutal on me :/

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Enjoyed the first 10 (9?) chapters a lot but the mid-game where I am at now, 11-14 has been a low for me right now. Hope it picks up steam as there are quite a few chapters to go through.

Enjoyed the first 10 (9?) chapters a lot but the mid-game where I am at now, 11-14 has been a low for me right now. Hope it picks up steam as there are quite a few chapters to go through.

Corky, I'm at Chapter 8 and I'm wondering
Do they have more exploration areas on the ice planet like they had in space? (2 ships and that tower)
Those were the funnest parts for me. Thanks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Douchebag Isaac.

dead1r0xeb.png

Jarmel

Banned
Those are some of my criticism as well, though I couldn't have put them in words this eloquently. Thanks!
I also found some areas to be padded too much - the whole game, actually. It could've been cut by about a third and it would have been a better game. Maybe that's just me though. Also the optional missions felt too similar to one another - and too long. Though I did enjoy their side stories revealed through audio recordings and text logs much better than the main plot line.

Th optional missions should only be played if you're bored to death and have nothing better to do. They drag on for far too long and just aren't that interesting except for two, the Tower and Barracks.

Corky

Corky, I'm at Chapter 8 and I'm wondering
Do they have more exploration areas on the ice planet like they had in space? (2 ships and that tower)
Those were the funnest parts for me. Thanks.

Sadly no, I'm up to chapter 14 and the game did a 180 from the
quasi-exploratory space
sections to linear restrictive
"mountain climbing"
along very boring, narrow paths. I genuinely hope it gets better because as mentioned the first half/third of the game was great in my eyes and everything I'd it want from a Dead Space game. In fact, it was definitely a step up from DS2 at that point.

I really want to write an angry letter to whoever was behind the choice/design philosophy of the 'boss' you encounter somewhere chapter 11,12,13 a big misstep in an otherwise pretty polished game.

This makes me sad as well. Then again, I'm one of those crazy idiots who thinks they never should have shown us Isaac's face or had him speak. :)

Given that I first saw his face months before the first game came out, I've never really understood this. When I tried out the game pre release at Redwood Shores, you could freely rotate the camera during the opening sequence where the ship flies up to the Ishamura. I always forget that they locked the camera behind him in the retail version. Knowing what he looked like has never been a problem for me.

I also think they did a great job casting and writing for him. It was okay in Dead Space when you're by yourself all the time for him to be mute, but it stops making sense at a point.

I can't figure out this gun crafting system. Its confusing and overly sylized. So much going on with color, texture, etc its hard to read. I feel like an old person.

Jarmel

Banned
quasi-exploratory space
"mountain climbing"
along very boring, narrow paths. I genuinely hope it gets better because as mentioned the first half/third of the game was great in my eyes and everything I'd it want from a Dead Space game. In fact, it was definitely a step up from DS2 at that point.

I really want to write an angry letter to whoever was behind the choice/design philosophy of the 'boss' you encounter somewhere chapter 11,12,13 a big misstep in an otherwise pretty polished game.

There's another 'exploration' bit coming up in 15, I think.

You're not done yet. The bossfights in general are pretty awful.

Doomrider

Is the camera only locked for part of that intro? I forget, obviously.

Yeah, it's locked for a large part of the intro, and then, just before getting to the Ishimura, you get control and you're able to see it. It's enough to get a good look.

Edit: not before getting to the Ishimura, but after "landing", actually

Corky

Only in the demo, IIRC. They fixed it in the full release.

I'm fairly sure the camera does a little sweep and shows Isaac's face just before he stands up and leaves the shuttle in the intro of Dead Space 1.

I can't figure out this gun crafting system. Its confusing and overly sylized. So much going on with color, texture, etc its hard to read. I feel like an old person.

I agree, could be much more straightforward, too much going on in that menu and submenus.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't mind that we can see Isaac, but I disagree with the direction to make him a heavily personalised character as the protagonist for the series. It's a tonal shift from the silent, player personal horror of Dead Space, in favour of a very vocal protagonist narrating and guiding the story as well as the tense encounters, which for me personally creates a weird disconnect between me the player embodying Isaac, and the haunting, empty corridors he's supposed to be exploring.

And even though I don't really have a problem with Isaac the guy, and think the Dead Space universe is neat, I didn't like the narrative in Dead Space 2 and I don't like it in Dead Space 3. It's still a lot of faux drama and over emphasis on other characters than the personal journey of Isaac and the discoveries he made.

The whole Ellie thing is a good example of this. I didn't give a shit about her in Dead Space 2. I don't give a shit about her in Dead Space 3. And so anything that has and had happened between her and Isaac is completely lost on me. There was never enough exposition to sell relationship between the two, nor enough narrative and context of Dead Space 2 to hold up the ideas.

Andrew.

Banned
Made it up to Chapter 5 on Hard after playing for about six hours straight last night (I'm a scrounger and take my time absorbing the atmosphere). Somehow I missed both optional quests in Chapter 4 so I'll have to go back for those..

All in all it still feels like Dead Space so far and that's all I ask for. The environment and sound production have always been the paramount elements for me in really enjoying the franchise, so the addtion of a crapton of action, speedier Necros and a bizarre love triangle doesn't bother me in the slightest. The only complaints I really have are the ones that have been addressed already and that would be the universal ammo which kills any sense of conservation and careful gunplay and the fact that Necros seem to show zero reactions when shot at. They just soak up the rounds and then crumble apart.

Along with the lighting, the soundtrack is my second favorite aspect. I'm really impressed with it. Also, DS2 made me a fan of Gunner Wright as a voice actor and he once again he is pulling off an another exceptional performance.

Doomrider

I don't mind that we can see Isaac, but I disagree with the direction to make him a heavily personalised character as the protagonist for the series. It's a tonal shift from the silent, player personal horror of Dead Space, in favour of a very vocal protagonist narrating and guiding the story as well as the tense encounters, which for me personally creates a weird disconnect between me the player embodying Isaac, and the haunting, empty corridors he's supposed to be exploring.

And even though I don't really have a problem with Isaac the guy, and think the Dead Space universe is neat, I didn't like the narrative in Dead Space 2 and I don't like it in Dead Space 3. It's still a lot of faux drama and over emphasis on other characters than the personal journey of Isaac and the discoveries he made.

The whole Ellie thing is a good example of this. I didn't give a shit about her in Dead Space 2. I don't give a shit about her in Dead Space 3. And so anything that has and had happened between her and Isaac is completely lost on me. There was never enough exposition to sell relationship between the two, nor enough narrative and context of Dead Space 2 to hold up the ideas.

That silent protagonist business never worked with me anyway, at least not in the sense it's intended to (i'm talking about games in general). Isaac in DS2 was pretty easily likeable, so I'm more than fine with the shift. Don't know about 3 yet. And you still get to experience the action and tension first hand as a player, even if the character has his own reactions and comments (some of which end up mirroring my own).

I agree that the story in itself wasn't anything special in 2 and lacked the subtetly of the first game. Some of Nicole scenes were painful to watch. As for Ellie, there's not a tremendous amout of depth or anything, but they went through some rough shit together and it was enough to sell me on them trusting each other and creating bonds that way. I like both of them.

As an old person, I can confirm it is confusing and overly stylized. Welcome to being old-like. Now get off my lawn whippersnapper.

quasi-exploratory space
"mountain climbing"

That is scary :(

Top Bottom