• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

If you guys want easy ration seals to buy the resource packs, then go to the weapon arena and deploy your scavenger bots

I deployed 2 and got about 12 ration seals in 10 minutes.

TentPole

The visor illumination stopped for me after leaving the first ship. I am pretty sure this is by design and it only shows up in certain pre-determined locations.

mf.luder

This really pissed me off. I play inverted controls and I love how I can set it at the system level so that each game automatically picks it up.

Playing DS3 was fine until
the mission where you fly the ship
AND THEN THEY FLIPPED THE CONTROLS.

Am I crazy in thinking that there is a player out there who plays inverted but then flies opposite?

The visor illumination stopped for me after leaving the first ship. I am pretty sure this is by design and it only shows up in certain per-determined locations.

Thanks I guess I can just put up with it then. What a fucking shame though, I thought that detail was sick. Ah well! Good luck with the end of ch.5 and the end of ch.6 on hard-impossible difficulty XD I MEAN SHIIIIIIIT! And so far the side quests have been pretty useless to me.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
This really pissed me off. I play inverted controls and I love how I can set it at the system level so that each game automatically picks it up.

Playing DS3 was fine until the mission where you fly the ship AND THEN THEY FLIPPED THE CONTROLS.

Am I crazy in thinking that there is a player out there who plays inverted but then flies opposite?

You can change the controls for flying separately from regular play in the front end. This is actually because of me, since I play normal but fly inverted.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Fuuuuuck me. That
archaeology
-side mission, first time in my life I literally starting to terror sweating from a video game.

codecow

I thought this too, but it's not true. You can deploy them almost anywhere (haven't yet tried in space) - you don't need to have a green radar screen - and they'll go off and collect things - what they bring back will be much reduced however, in comparison to what they collect when the radar screen indicates a favorable location.

Ding ding ding!

So...

Single player on impossible gives me the Dead Space fix I want.

The fact that Visceral made the co-op parts so obvious even in single-player is a bit disappointing BUT...the game is significantly better when playing solo.

codecow

Ha, yep. I still own it. A direct sequel to the movie and hard, hard as balls. I never finished it because there was a glitch or something near my end game.

There were some neat ideas there with the teammate sanity deal but there were a lot of problems too.

I guess I should have prefaced that DS3 could have been the Thing 2 videogame.

This game is in my reference collection at work. It's hard to look at now, but I remember when it came out and it was awesome!

DocSeuss

Hey, RoKKer, if you're going to ask someone to tag their spoilers, don't quote them. You're just spreading their spoilers that I did not want to read.

--

Was playing on my desktop. Got myself inside
the monster thing
, and I'm hovering at about 50% complete, or so it says. I'm pretty happy.

It's important to note that I just sat down and cranked through this game. I don't want to play anything else right now. Most games, I jump into for a couple hours (when I have that luxury, which is rare), and play until I get bored. With this, though? "Come on, Doc, you need to go to bed," I kept telling myself, until I finally listened.

It's great!

I turn the game on today on my laptop, and apparently, I've lost a bunch of progress, though the percentage meter is showing the same percentage as last night. The optional mission I finished (
the armory
) is now no longer showing as finished, which means I apparently have to go allll the way back through that, then
fire the harpoons, ride the elevator into the creature, and go through several waves of elite feeders

Suffice it to say, I hate this game's saving mechanics. Seriously hate them.

The real problem I have with this game is that, for an action horror experience, I don't actually look forward to fights. I don't want them to happen. Too many times, it's all about being locked in a room and having to duke it out. This wouldn't be a problem, normally, but for some reason,

If someone went "Doc, how would you design Dead Space 3?" I think my response would be that I would have gone for a more exploration-based, less combat-focused game than this. The "holy shit, I'm in space, and I can travel between space ships!" thing was awesome (and might have been more awesome if I could access new areas with new tools, like a Metroidvania, almost).

Having a lot more System Shock would have been nice. Horror is great when the player has more options, and thus, more uncertainty (needs less BOOGA BOOGA monsters and more "I can hear them just around the corner, so I will avoid them, oh no, I made a mistake and they heard me!"). Basically, I wish I had the power to fail, rather than got railroaded into rooms where it became obvious I was going to be attacked.

But, hey, I'm talking about my ideal game now, not the game at hand.

I am enthralled with the game's art design (the two hundred year old ships seem like they were designed in the 1950s in many ways). Dead Space's art direction has always been this unique, beautiful thing, and it's at its best in Dead Space 3. I know my comments don't mean much, but Dead Space art team, but it'd be awesome if someone could convey my love to the art team. After the relatively sterile (sup, Mass Effect) or Aliens-inspired space environments we get so much, Dead Space's little details, like the soda cans, or the cracked paint on the wall, or the phones and 50s-era radar readouts... all that stuff looks fantastic. The macro details are pretty awesome as well. I love how this game looks so much.

I love the game's sound. Dead Space has an iconic soundscape that few games can replicate. When I hear those sounds, regardless of game, I feel right at home. It's an aural identity, and the audio team are fucking wizards. I've only encountered two weird bugs so far (got stuck in aiming mode at one point, and a hacking station wouldn't open at another, so I had to exit the game and jump back in).

Dead Space 3's failings are almost entirely narrative or design-related. The pacing is off, many fights aren't fun (the skinny guys are annoying), the saving is atrocious, the Captain isn't an interesting character in the slightest (the scientist isn't set up well enough to be interesting, but when she finally gets her chance to exist, she's a distinct, interesting person), there are too many "find three X" or "get locked in a room" things, the gun system feels less focused (would rather mod my guns in a more robust way than just randomly build crap), and...

Well, I said the soundscape makes me feel right at home. That's true. So it's fucking weird that so many systems have been changed. The 'rules' of the universe appear to be intact, except when it comes to inventory, and that bugs me. Okay, I can accept that I'm on 200 year old ships, and I can accept that the mining company (name isn't coming to mind. Peng?) might not exist, or that stores are the same, or that power nodes might not exist, but it bugs the fuck out of me that I can't buy stuff at stores with money or use power nodes to unlock stuff.

I get the crafting system, but it feels wrong. It was incredibly rewarding to find a power node. It felt like a treasure. I don't have something to be on the lookout for in Dead Space 3. You could say the scavenger bots do that, but it just doesn't feel the same, and it's really annoying when mine are out searching for stuff and I hear the noise but can't get to it.

For a series with so much identity, Dead Space 3 feels like it's lost quite a bit with the addition of the crafting system. Part of the gameplay's language is gone.

That said, there are improvements: dodge rolling is fantastically freeing, even if I haven't really found a reason to use it, optional missions are GREAT, the ability to more freely travel around the world through trams/ships is awesome, scavenger bots are fun to use...

I do like this game. I like it more than most games I've played, in fact--a helluva lot more than Assassin's Creed's past two entries, which I'm playing right now.

I had hoped, however, to love it. :\

This game is in my reference collection at work. It's hard to look at now, but I remember when it came out and it was awesome!

I'd be interested in knowing what else is in your reference collection.

Corky

Yes to both.

I do feel that there were quite a few parts where you noticed "here's where the co-op 'happens'" but I only noticed the optional missions once. The brusilov, other than that I don't think I bumped into the other co-op missions, I obviously missed them but they weren't blatantly obvious.

fakeedit : well other than that door in the labs where it says "co-op"...

I do feel that there were quite a few parts where you noticed "here's where the co-op 'happens'" but I only noticed the optional missions once. The brusilov, other than that I don't think I bumped into the other co-op missions, I obviously missed them but they weren't blatantly obvious.

For the completionist in me...those co-op quests are like a splinter in my brain.

The "here's where the co-op happens" part is just so..."Not-Visceral".

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 were just so "tight" in their concepts and design. Everything kindof made sense in a "future" sort of way. I genuinely felt as if there were people at Visceral being incredibly exacting about every single thing in the game.

That historical momentum, plus the inclusion of co-op in Dead Space 3 really makes those co-op moments pretty glaring when you're doing it solo.

Lima

I turn the game on today on my laptop, and apparently, I've lost a bunch of progress, though the percentage meter is showing the same percentage as last night. The optional mission I finished (
the armory
) is now no longer showing as finished, which means I apparently have to go allll the way back through that, then
fire the harpoons, ride the elevator into the creature, and go through several waves of elite feeders

Suffice it to say, I hate this game's saving mechanics. Seriously hate them.

I noticed this too. Especially regarding the side mission. It doesn't really save the progress if I turn it off half way through an optional mission. So I have to complete a side mission before turning it off otherwise I'm back to the beginning of the mission when I turn it back on.

Corky

For the completionist in me...those co-op quests are like a splinter in my brain.

The "here's where the co-op happens" part is just so..."Not-Visceral".

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 were just so "tight" in their concepts and design. Everything kindof made sense in a "future" sort of way. I genuinely felt as if there were people at Visceral being incredibly exacting about every single thing in the game.

That historical momentum, plus the inclusion of co-op in Dead Space 3 really makes those co-op moments pretty glaring when you're doing it solo.

I hear ya, luckily I've subconsciously deprogrammed the completionist part of my brain thanks to bloated games like Far Cry 3 with content for the sake of content, but I sympathize.

AwShucks

Might have missed this somewhere, but is there a list of where the side missions are? I am intending on doing them all but I'm in Chapter 4/5 (forget which) and I think the only optional objective I've seen is "Create a weapon".

DocSeuss

I noticed this too. Especially regarding the side mission. It doesn't really save the progress if I turn it off half way through an optional mission. So I have to complete a side mission before turning it off otherwise I'm back to the beginning of the mission when I turn it back on.

Thing is, this happened in a main mission. My entire side mission progress appears to be lost. It's infurating.

Seriously, I would much rather have separate co-op missions a la Halo 4 (that are also doable in SP!) than see so MUCH of the game redesgined around co-op. Saves were important. Now they're actively fucking up my experience. And I'm mad.

TentPole

Might have missed this somewhere, but is there a list of where the side missions are? I am intending on doing them all but I'm in Chapter 4/5 (forget which) and I think the only optional objective I've seen is "Create a weapon".

Under "progress" which you can get to directly from the pause menu, or under "extras" on the main menu.

How exactly do I use my bot? I pressed up and deployed him in the room that I found him in and now he's vanished. When can I use him again? Was I supposed to wait for him?

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
How exactly do I use my bot? I pressed up and deployed him in the room that I found him in and now he's vanished. When can I use him again? Was I supposed to wait for him?

In ten minutes or more if you go to a bench it will have returned there and deposited loot for you.

You just keep playing in the meantime.

He does disappear after a minute or two. He's not lost, you'll get a message on-screen when he's done and can be picked up at the bench.

Lima

I said fuck it and bought the voice pack for the bot. Pretty hilarious. Not sure if 400 points hilarious but definitely a cool touch. I like the little guy.

bumclot

Playing DS3 was fine until
the mission where you fly the ship
AND THEN THEY FLIPPED THE CONTROLS.

My friend does but then again he plays with legacy controls in fps.

Grisby

I said fuck it and bought the voice pack for the bot. Pretty hilarious. Not sure if 400 points hilarious but definitely a cool touch. I like the little guy.
There's a voice pack for the bot? Damn, I'm not paying money for that but it sounds cool.
That's pretty neat to hear. I bought it on a whim at launch being a huge fan of Carpenters movie. It was rough around the edges but I do look back on it fondly.

RoKKeR

Embarrassing question: how so you use ration seals? Me and my friend have been looking around for a whole and can't find anything.

Lima

There's a voice pack for the bot? Damn, I'm not paying money for that but it sounds cool.

Yes sir there is. There are also packs for upgrading the bot's capacity and to make him return 50% faster to the bench.

Embarrassing question: how so you use ration seals? Me and my friend have been looking around for a whole and can't find anything.

At a bench, press Y or triangle to bring up the downloadable content menu. There just select a resource or weapon pack and press X or square to buy with ration seals.

Wow, the
giant crab with open mouth weakpoints
boss. Please tell me that this thing doesn't make a comeback. Were they under time/budget constraints or something?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Man I can't wait for my copy to arrive tomorrow. Anatomy 2/PreCalc/Chemistry have all been put on the back burner

Lima

Wow, the
giant crab with open mouth weakpoints
boss. Please tell me that this thing doesn't make a comeback. Were they under time/budget constraints or something?

That is not really a good spoiler. How am I supposed to know which boss you are talking about? Please include the chapter you are in before spoiling things.

Anyone make any awesome weapons yet?

I'm using a Evangelizer Carbine/Force Gun knockback with Acid Bath. Seems pretty strong with all +damage nodes in the knockback. I'm still getting the unlimited ammo glitch though, so I can just spam it and stunlock harder necros. I only have to worry about reload times.

My other weapon I've been using is a Line Gun primary with melee secondary, with Electric Shock attached to it.

You mean the one from the demo?

I didn't play the demo :/

The boss looks like this:
has four legs, crustacean-like body, three tentacles come out that you shoot and then you shoot two weakpoint tentacles in it's mouth. I'm shooting all weakpoints, both back and mouth, it goes into an animation of falling down and then it gets back up. I've unloaded about 200 rounds of +6 damage SMG in this thing but it won't die. Is this a glitch?
Thanks for any help.

Jarmel

Banned

has four legs, crustacean-like body, three tentacles come out that you shoot and then you shoot two weakpoint tentacles in it's mouth. I'm shooting all weakpoints, both back and mouth, it goes into an animation of falling down and then it gets back up. I've unloaded about 200 rounds of +6 damage SMG in this thing but it won't die. Is this a glitch?
Thanks for any help.

You tango with him multiple times.

Thanks for any help.

The key to beating him to to strafe and barrel roll

antitrop

Got about a good 3 hours into this today.

Isaac has the worst life of all time.
I spent more time laughing because of how comical his plight is. Everything that could go wrong...

Game is great, so far, though. Doesn't quite feel up to the level of the first two, and WAY WAY WAY WAY too much character interaction and dialogue and shit. Still feels like a Dead Space ass Dead Space game, though. So I like it.

What the actual fuck? I've tried to make anything happen with the fucking
drill
. What do you do? I've done all sorts of stasis / activate combos, but nothing is happening. I'm about to never play the fucking game again. I've been at it for an hour. Youtube shows people doing exactly what I've been doing and releasing the
drill
. I can't make it happen. What's the trick?

Fuck you, Visceral, for shitty puzzle design.

Jarmel

Banned
What the actual fuck? I've tried to make anything happen with the fucking
drill
. What do you do? I've done all sorts of stasis / activate combos, but nothing is happening. I'm about to never play the fucking game again. I've been at it for an hour. Youtube shows people doing exactly what I've been doing and releasing the
drill
. I can't make it happen. What's the trick?

Fuck you, Visceral, for shitty puzzle design.

Stasis the drill then use a military gun, anything with concentrated fire, on it. It's extremely easy.

antitrop

I play games like Spec Ops: The Line and it makes me feel like I want a deep, rewarding narrative experience in all my games to pull me through.

Then I play something like Dead Space 3 and I'm like "HOLY SHIT, STOP TALKING, I JUST WANT TO PLAY.".
This game is at its lowest when any other human being other than Isaac is on the screen.

Top Bottom