• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Mike M

Nick N
Just cleared off the cargo off the tram line in Chapter 5.

I don't think Isaac was paying enough attention : (

I don't like where this is going...

Mupod

Just cleared off the cargo off the tram line in Chapter 5.

I don't think Isaac was paying enough attention : (

I don't like where this is going...

ixCa4Y1NOrM1L.gif

Kak.efes

Played up to chapter four last night. I'll reserve judgement, but I will say this game is far removed from what made the series unique.

Can someone give me a quick rundown of the new weapons system? I'm lost. I can only hold two weapons now? Ideally, I'd like to craft some type of contact beam and ripper hybrid for ranged, and close engagements. I take it I have to find parts now, not weapons blueprints?

When fighting the giant spider necromorph, do you guys rapidly press "F" button like a madman, after harpooning the bastard?
Fucking dying so many times on this

Mike M

Nick N
Played up to chapter four last night. I'll reserve judgement, but I will say this game is far removed from what made the series unique.

Can someone give me a quick rundown of the new weapons system? I'm lost. I can only hold two weapons now? Ideally, I'd like to craft some type of contact beam and ripper hybrid for ranged, and close engagements. I take it I have to find parts now, not weapons
blueprints?

You have two weapons, each with two tool slots, so potentially four different weapons at the expense of secondary fire. You can find parts AND blueprints, but without parts you can't make anything (Blueprints allow for instant weapon creation from preexisting parts)

Andrew.

Banned
So what's the deal with sending your scavenger bot to "Resource Areas"? What exactly are they? I've been sending it out to gather loot whenever I come to a Bench or I start hearing this ringing sound. For that trophy you need to find 15 of them and so far I've got zilch. Is this something that doesnt happen til Tau Volantis?

AwShucks

Uhm...what? I feel like your knee deep into the most Dead Space like settings/gameplay since Dead Space 1.

To each their own I guess.

Wanny

Is it me or is everything muddy in this game? the enemies look monochromatic and the wonderful realtime shadows are few and far between.

Depends on what you mean. If it's textures, then nothing can be done. The bloom setting gives the game a muddy look in my opinion and that can be turned off (but you lose light rays...).

Mike M

Nick N
Chapter 6's optional mission... Man, tell me nothing like that bum rush happens again during this mission, WTF >: (

Andrew.

Banned
Uhm...what? I feel like your knee deep into the most Dead Space like settings/gameplay since Dead Space 1.

To each their own I guess.

Seriously, I'm on Chapter 6 and from Chapter 2 until now it has been very much like the original Dead Space with occasional big sprinkles (action set pieces etc) of Dead Space 2.

It's really a great merger of the two.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So what's the deal with sending your scavenger bot to "Resource Areas"? What exactly are they? I've been sending it out to gather loot whenever I come to a Bench or I start hearing this ringing sound. For that trophy you need to find 15 of them and so far I've got zilch. Is this something that doesnt happen til Tau Volantis?

You want to send it out in certain locations. Use the radar function, it'll show you where to go. When you reach the spot, the radar turns into a couple pulsing concentric circles. I found a couple on the ships before I reached the planet's surface, and there are a bunch of spots out in space.

Then it takes a while and you'll get a notification that it has returned to a bench and you can get the resources and pick the bot up again.

Plissken

Chapter 6's optional mission... Man, tell me nothing like that bum rush happens again during this mission, WTF >: (

If that's the mission I am thinking of,
getting to the Conning tower, with that Edwards guy constantly locking you in rooms and tons of enemies spawning in
then yeah, it happens again. That's pretty much the gist of that entire mission, actually.

The weapons crafting is sublime. Right now I'm rocking the Bolas Gun with Incendiary Charges, and I FEEL LIKE A FUCKING BEAST.

I'm really digging all the backstory content on Tau Volantis. Some fucked up shit went down there. I just reached the giant drill from the demo, and I'm thinking about trading my Bolas in for a Force gun to deal with the upcoming assholes. What difference does the Hammond's Frame make?

The weapons crafting is sublime. Right now I'm rocking the Bolas Gun with Incendiary Charges, and I FEEL LIKE A FUCKING BEAST.

I'm really digging all the backstory content on Tau Volantis. Some fucked up shit went down there. I just reached the giant drill from the demo, and I'm thinking about trading my Bolas in for a Force gun to deal with the upcoming assholes. What difference does the Hammond's Frame make?
More ammo for your gun, but you only get 3 upper frame slots, instead of 4 up and 4 below.

for those who pre-ordered from amazon, did you guys get your $20 credit already?? I have yet to get mine but I wondered if I should give it a few more days or contact amazon

def sim

for those who pre-ordered from amazon, did you guys get your $20 credit already?? I have yet to get mine but I wondered if I should give it a few more days or contact amazon

Though the disclaimer said it may take a few days, I received my $20 credit and pre-order DLC at release.

Remmy2112

More ammo for your gun, but you only get 3 upper frame slots, instead of 4 up and 4 below.

You can pay 20 tungsten to unlock the fourth upper slot.

Also it seems my ration seal issue has persisted for a entire day and two of my friends, one in Texas and the other in Canada are both experiencing the same issue. Annoying.

Plissken

I got my Tesla gun code 3-4 days before release, and my $20 credit on release day. If you've received your game and been charged for it, I would contact them, as I almost always get my credit the same day I receive the game.

My bad if my shots are considered spoilerish - it's up to chapter 10.

Also, there was a
drill
section that was pretty fun on Impossible in this chapter....

Mike M

Nick N
Proceeding with Chapter 6 after clearing out that side mission of the country western guy's last stand. Current objective is to attach a remote relay to a shuttle, but Jesus there seems to be an unending swarm of necromorphs in here. I'm situated so there's only one vent they can get to me from, but I feel like I've been picking off exploding pus bag necromorphs forever as the come out one at a time. Every time I think the room is clear, another one comes out. Easy one shot kills though.

bitoriginal

I've only played for about 4 hours but so far I'm finding this just a little disappointing.

So far it feels like they've sacrificed all tension and suspense with just throwing loads of enemies at you, and I'm finding it really detrimental to my enjoyment of the game.

Jarmel

Banned
Sod off with that noise. Obviously I don't give a shit now, but it would've been nice to have been somewhat surprised. Ah well.

It's stuff found in pretty much every bit of media associated with the game. If that's a spoiler then every single thing in this thread needs to be in bars. Hell no images should be anywhere in the thread. Utterly ridiculous. If you want to go in a complete blackout then you shouldn't be in this thread in the first place.

I've only played for about 4 hours but so far I'm finding this just a little disappointing.

So far it feels like they've sacrificed all tension and suspense with just throwing loads of enemies at you, and I'm finding it really detrimental to my enjoyment of the game.

I felt that way about 2. I felt like I got desensitized to necromorphs way too fast. The only real tension in the second one was when you first reboarded the Ishimura. Otherwise, every room and every action you did sent a wave of guys at you.

Andrew.

Banned
It's stuff found in pretty much every bit of media associated with the game. If that's a spoiler then every single thing in this thread needs to be in bars. Hell no images should be anywhere in the thread. Utterly ridiculous. If you want to go in a complete blackout then you shouldn't be in this thread in the first place.

Dude. Chill.

So I just got "The Art of Dead Space" in my mailbox today, and it's even nicer than I was expecting. And Titan Books usually puts out solid artbooks to begin with, but the quality here is exceptional.

Just no.

Some people like to discuss aspects or mechanics of this game without being spoiled. Don't be a dick. Why not make a spoiler thread and live their?

bitoriginal

I felt that way about 2. I felt like I got desensitized to necromorphs way too fast. The only real tension in the second one was when you first reboarded the Ishimura. Otherwise, every room and every action you did sent a wave of guys at you.

I agree with you, but even in DS2 there was a kinda slow burn before you got to really infested rooms. Early on in DS3 there seems to far more Necromorphs than I would expect. It just doesnt lend itself well to the control scheme. I'm okay with sluggish controls in a horror game but when you get too many enemies thrown at you it just highlights the control schemes inadequacies.

Jarmel

Banned
Just no.

Some people like to discuss aspects or mechanics of this game without being spoiled. Don't be a dick. Why not make a spoiler thread and live their?

It's stuff found in media released by Visceral themselves, the spoiler argument doesn't work that way. By that same argument the mechanics could be classified as spoilers too. There are definitely games where that can easily be the case. So basic pictures of Tau Volantis are not 'spoilers' by any reasonable stretch of the imagination. Basic stuff found everywhere such as screenshots or in the demo thread.

Now as for just going to the spoiler thread, that's more talking about the game as a whole, more specifically endgame as spoilers are unmarked.

george_us

The weapon crafting is pretty boss but everything else is a vast disappointment compared to Dead Space 2 and even Dead Space 1.

K' Dash

I was ready to put this on normal at the end of chapter 6 then I realized that I didn't upgrade my suit EVER, no shit I was getting fucked every fucking time...

Now with an upgraded suit, upgraded Plasma Cutter and mega upgraded line gun I feel fucking invincible, lol.

Tacitus_

Just no.

Heh, I saw someone whine about spoiling mechanics earlier in this thread. Given that the ice planet has been in pretty much all of the promotional material is is kinda fair game to post random shots from it imo.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm, been thinking, is it just me or did DS3 actually have less "set-pieces" than DS2`?

Eideka

Banned
5 hours so far. It's definitely a good game, a decent horror/action title but I have trouble believing this will meet EA's forecasts. There is nothing truly remarquable about it gameplay wise, the art is superb though..I'm purchasing the artbook as soon as I can.

God, the intro chapter to this game is shitty. And not representative of the rest of the game, either. Feels like a tick-the-box item to appeal to the knuckle-dragging bro crowd.

def sim

Hmm, been thinking, is it just me or did DS3 actually have less "set-pieces" than DS2`?

I'm playing through DS2 right now and set pieces are fairly common, some of them even repeat themselves. The one where a leaper scuttles outside a window as you approach the work bench in front of it. Though that's probably a glitch.

Anyway, I'm midway through the Ishimura on my DS2 hardcore run and I only have one save left. I should have spread these out better, but I did not want to leave my console on. :/

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
God, the intro chapter to this game is shitty. And not representative of the rest of the game, either. Feels like a tick-the-box item to appeal to the knuckle-dragging bro crowd.

It does do a bad job setting up the rest of the game I agree. Luckily squaring off against human opponents was a pre-release qualm of mine that got squashed. After finishing the game I'd say the rough split was 95-5% nonhuman-human enemies, which made me glad.

Top Bottom