• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Got my Art of Dead Space book in the mail today. This is really nice. First time I've ever bought an art book for a game, and I'm shocked by how much information is in it. Most pages have quotes from the guys at Visceral explaining why things were designed as they are, including some words from Monkey Pants himself.

clockpunk

Hey chaps, so... just to check, is the Witness the Truth pack of DLC skins available to purchase through an in-game menu for everyone...?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Eideka

Banned
Indeed, and that's as far down as 1600x900 so there's certainly some diminishing returns and loss of detail at that point. http://www.abload.de/img/deadspace32013-02-0710bk7v.png
That's a fabulous shot, awe inspiring.

Now imagine a Frostbite 2 powered Dead Space...Yeah I have a boner.

Yeah 4k and ingame SMAA, good on Visceral to have some good in-game AA options now compared to 1 and 2.
For a "barebone" port I think they did pretty good. SMAA looks real nice, I hope it will be the standard AA for next-gen consoles at 1080p.

Corky

For a "barebone" port I think they did pretty good.

Damn straight, which is a shame because that's just another one of those PR-fuck ups for DS3. Human enemies, rolling and taking cover ( took me 12 hours to realize there was a roll button ), the pc-port, the dudebro co-op aspect, the dlc, all of these were not only rather unrepresentative but I'm sure they portrayed the game in a worse way likely leading to negative misconceptions of the game. Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect and the lows in the game are pretty darn low and I'm having a hard time not ranking it my least favorite Dead Space ( had it kept up steam after the first ~10 chapters it could've - COULD'VE - just been my favorite Dead Space...).

But back on track and with regards to the pc-port, a wide range of visual tweaks, fxaa, smaa, controller support ( hell that's sadly something that's not even guaranteed even with big-budget games nowadays ) and good performance to top it all off results in a damn good port by your average multi-platform standard.

RoKKeR

Prettier than any console exclusive. Amazing.
Agreed. With all of this talk about the PC version, we shouldn't forget what they were able to pull out on the consoles as well. I'm confined to the Xbox version for now for co-op reasons but it looks absolutely stunning on 360. One of the best looking games I've played on my Xbox.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm kinda confused on the upgrade chips coorelating to upper and lower tool. So if I put all damage on the upper and clip size on the lower, will I only get damage on the top weapon or does it affect both? The plasma cutter has this top/bottom thing so I'm wondering if I split it like that if I only have damage horizontally and vertically it will be something different.

Corky

I'm kinda confused on the upgrade chips coorelating to upper and lower tool. So if I put all damage on the upper and clip size on the lower, will I only get damage on the top weapon or does it affect both?

The top circuits are for the top weapon and lower for the bottom one. As to the second part of your question I think it works like this - can that part have a damage increase? For example the rotator cuff, doesn't have a clip or anything so circuits won't affect it.

I'm kinda confused on the upgrade chips coorelating to upper and lower tool. So if I put all damage on the upper and clip size on the lower, will I only get damage on the top weapon or does it affect both? The plasma cutter has this top/bottom thing so I'm wondering if I split it like that if I only have damage horizontally and vertically it will be something different.

That's a good question. I've been assuming upper nodes only work for the upper tool, and same with lower. I know if you had something like plasma cutter with smg, each firing mode would get bonuses from the related nodes. I know because I can see clip size go up for only one firing mode. But with something like the rotator cuff, what does it do?

Also, is there any reason to have a gun with no lower tool? I haven't actually made the Codecow gun myself, but this pic from IGn shows it with no lower tool:
460px-Dead_space_3_codecow.jpg

Is there some hidden benefit to not having a second tool?

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
Got my Art of Dead Space book in the mail today. This is really nice. First time I've ever bought an art book for a game, and I'm shocked by how much information is in it. Most pages have quotes from the guys at Visceral explaining why things were designed as they are, including some words from Monkey Pants himself.

Thanks for picking it up. I loved those types of books when I was younger so to have one of our stuff is terrifically exciting.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I'm getting 300+ frames per second on max settings, Monkey Pants. Any config file tweaks we can make use of to up the shadow res, or number of shadow casting lights, etc? Perhaps you could release something special for those of us with frames per second to spare? :)

Andrew.

Banned
Um, is the already known item glitch in Chapter 8? Because if so, I found it and fuck. And if not, then I found another one, and fuck again if applicable.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man this game seems pretty long. Midway through chapter 8 and already put in close to 7 hours

Also, FUCK those necros that charge at you in the snow! Mothers are fast as hell!

Oh yeah, floating through space is AMAZING mostly due to the music that is totally cribbing from Horner's score to ALIENS

Almost fully upgraded my Rig when I hit the last chapter. Do Rigs not show physical changes when they upgrade now? I know spinal column gets bigger, but in DS1 and DS 2, didn't they visibly have additions when you upgraded armour?

Dead

well not really...yet
Almost fully upgraded my Rig when I hit the last chapter. Do Rigs not show physical changes when they upgrade now? I know spinal column gets bigger, but in DS1 and DS 2, didn't they visibly have additions when you upgraded armour?
Dead Space 1 Rig did change appearance, but I don't remember the rigs in DS2 doing that, aside from the Spinal Column

RoKKeR

so, its the game worth it?

I'd say so. There is a shit ton of replay value between the collectables, weapon bench, and the various difficulties, and the appeal of experiencing co-op as both Isaac and Carver warrants a second playthrough.

I'll be playing it for quite a while, so I'll say yes.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
I'd say so. There is a shit ton of replay value between the collectables, weapon bench, and the various difficulties, and the appeal of experiencing co-op as both Isaac and Carver warrants a second playthrough.

I'll be playing it for quite a while, so I'll say yes.

Absolutely.

i guess ill have to finish dead space 2 first then, its been sitting on my steam account for some time, thanks for the replies

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm getting 300+ frames per second on max settings, Monkey Pants. Any config file tweaks we can make use of to up the shadow res, or number of shadow casting lights, etc? Perhaps you could release something special for those of us with frames per second to spare? :)

You are letting your graphics card run itself way too hot by uncapping the FPS, just look at your temps and usage.

Throw on D3doverrider's triple buffering to cap it at 60 and then downsample from 4k.

Andrew.

Banned
My opinion is starting to shift toward yes. It just does a terrible job at selling you the game with prologue and chapter 1... after that it's the start of a great ride.

See? Now I really enjoyed the Prologue and Chapter 1. Nothin' wrong with changing up how everything starts off. It stands out and is unlike either introduction to the previous two games.

RoKKeR

See? Now I really enjoyed the Prologue and Chapter 1. Nothin' wrong with changing up how everything starts off. It stands out and is unlike either introduction to the previous two games.
True, but coming off the incredible DS2 opening, it's hard to say this one was anything special.

So I have never really started Dead Space 2 (Friend left the Ps3 version over here for a little while, played a little but I wasn't very into it) but I loved Dead Space 1.

My question is if it would be worth it to play Dead Space 2 before trying to get into Dead Space 3?

I have Dead Space 2 installed on my computer from the Origin Free Games thing.

gdt

So I have never really started Dead Space 2 (Friend left the Ps3 version over here for a little while, played a little but I wasn't very into it) but I loved Dead Space 1.

My question is if it would be worth it to play Dead Space 2 before trying to get into Dead Space 3?

Yes absolutely. Its the better game.

RoKKeR

Worth it? Sure. Dead Space 2 was a great game with some interesting story archs and neat environments.

But having just come off of a Dead Space 2 run, Dead Space 3 just feels so much more polished and complete. So its up to you really. I'd play through it, why not right?

Andrew.

Banned
True, but coming off the incredible DS2 opening, it's hard to say this one was anything special.

And this is why differing opinions matter, because I didn't find DS2's opening anything spectacular. I think the original did it the best, but 90% of that feel comes from the fact that it was a brand new IP at the time, and that I'm a huge fan of The Thing and the early Alien films so it was a completely new experience that I was already kinda familiar with through cinema.

RoKKeR

And this is why differing opinions matter, because I didn't find DS2's opening anything spectacular. I think the original did it the best, but 90% of that feel comes from the fact that it was a brand new IP at the time, and that I'm a huge fan of The Thing and the early Alien films so it was a completely new experience that I was already kinda familiar with through cinema.
Fair enough! I still think DS2's was incredible. You're confused, delirious, tied up in a straight jacket, and are thrown into an utter shit storm with little to no defense. That slow build from helpless to badass over the course of the first hour or so was fantastic.

But yes, opinions and all that jazz.

yeah, I wanna crank some more options up too.

Andrew.

Banned
Fair enough! I still think DS2's was incredible. You're confused, delirious, tied up in a straight jacket, and are thrown into an utter shit storm with little to no defense. That slow build from helpless to badass over the course of the first hour or so was fantastic.

But yes, opinions and all that jazz.

I'm gonna need to play through it again. I only played it fully through once when it first released. Maybe I'm missing something =P

Yes absolutely. Its the better game.

Worth it? Sure. Dead Space 2 was a great game with some interesting story archs and neat environments.

But having just come off of a Dead Space 2 run, Dead Space 3 just feels so much more polished and complete. So its up to you really. I'd play through it, why not right?

Thanks guys. I haven't bought Dead Space 3 yet so I guess I will hop into Dead Space 2 tomorrow.

Just want to throw in one more request for a way to adjust corpse duration, they disappear right before my eyes!

gdt

What the fucking fuck. I just lost a good bunch of progress. I saved and quit and the game won't save for some reason. Keeps landing me back in the tram station. Even though I was checkpointing fine in Conning Tower. I have to do all that again....and who knows if it'll save. Any one else had this problem?

Saving issues are the worst.

Ghazi

So for anyone who pre-ordered from Amazon, have you gotten your $20 credit and gun yet? I haven't and I'm wondering how long it'll take to get it, my game arrived today.

Dead

well not really...yet
What the fucking fuck. I just lost a good bunch of progress. I saved and quit and the game won't save for some reason. Keeps landing me back in the tram station. Even though I was checkpointing fine in Conning Tower. I have to do all that again....and who knows if it'll save. Any one else had this problem?

Did it say progress saved or inventory saved?

I agree the saving is wierd, I wish they had just kept the save boxes that DS2 had

yeah its not very good, I had to do the same thing :/

Top Bottom