• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

So for anyone who pre-ordered from Amazon, have you gotten your $20 credit and gun yet? I haven't and I'm wondering how long it'll take to get it, my game arrived today.

I pre-ordered it from Amazon with Prime. The game came on Tuesday,a nd I had both the pre-order bonus gun code and the $20 credit by that time.

Ghazi

I pre-ordered it from Amazon with Prime. The game came on Tuesday,a nd I had both the pre-order bonus gun code and the $20 credit by that time.

Hopefully I'll get mine tomorrow, idk why it's taking so long. Though I did get my Halo 4 pre-order bonuses the day after it arrived.

sephi22

Guys, I'm playing on Normal. Still in chapter 2. I wanna enjoy all the looting and shit.
So my question is - Co-op or SP?

Andrew.

Banned
Guys, I'm playing on Normal. Still in chapter 2. I wanna enjoy all the looting and shit.
So my question is - Co-op or SP?

Both, eventually. There's a shit ton of collectibles I missed in Chapter 4 and I know it's because I didn't do the one co op side mission located there.

Andrew.

Banned
Christ, just landed on Tau Volantis and the The Thing (Carpenters. The one that matters) vibes are coming out every fucking orifice while Im scouring these bunkers through this blizzard. My hat is off to you Visceral. What a fucking amazing job.

RoKKeR

Christ, just landed on Tau Volantis and the The Thing vibes are coming out every fucking orifice while Im scouring these bunkers through this blizzard. My hat is off to you Visceral. What a fucking amazing job.

Yeah, I've loved the environmental design on Tau Volantis so far. It feels old, abandoned, but has this great character to it.

Again, art team, hats off. This probably wont be the last time I say it too.

As far as saving, it seems to work like this...

The game autosaves at certain points. This saves everything but your inventory. At other points, it will autosave your inventory. When you "save and quit" it only saves your inventory.

Side missions seem to have no autosave points. So if you do one, you need to finish it, and then continue with the main mission until you hit an autosave point, or you may lose anything you did on that side mission.

Sscia

Neo Member
Never played any of the Dead Space games.
Should I start with the earlier ones or is the story not consistent between games?

RoKKeR

As far as saving, it seems to work like this...

The game autosaves at certain points. This saves everything but your inventory. At other points, it will autosave your inventory. When you "save and quit" it only saves your inventory.

Side missions seem to have no autosave points. So if you do one, you need to finish it, and then continue with the main mission until you hit an autosave point, or you may lose anything you did on that side mission.
Uh, that's terrible. Noted.

Andrew.

Banned
Just wait until you see "Saving Progress" at the top right of the screen and then you are ready to save. Sucks that you have to wait til that point to quit and it should have been better implemented. When you want to start the game up again, just go to "Continue the Story" from the menu.

RoKKeR

Should I start with the earlier ones or is the story not consistent between games?
The story is consistant, but I don't think you have to play previous games to get into the universe. They show you a recap video at the beginning, and it essentially becomes another tale of 'Isaac Clarke just can't catch a break.'

Which turns out to be a pretty great tale.

Andrew.

Banned

Start from the original. It matters. You'll enjoy it more if you're familiar with the characters and with what's going on in the storyline.

Anival

Banned
I loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2 but have been seeing mixed for 3. Is this good story wise? I don't mind if its not scary the others didn't seem that way.

Plasmid

Just beat it.

Pros:

Very fun game, design, music and graphics were astounding and a great way to send off the finale of the series

cons:

ISAAC SOMETHING BROKE GO TO 4 DIFFERENT SECTIONS COME BACK AND WE'LL MOVE TO THE NEXT SECTION WHERE WE REPEAT THE PROCESS.

By the end of the game i was drained on backtracking and not having fun, the ending and the story were okay.

Are there any secret endings for harder modes?

e:

FUCK CHAPTER 18. Seriously, i have never wanted to rage quit so bad.

You get to fight 6 of the really strong alien things, the 4 legged ones that rush at you.

Grisby

Christ, just landed on Tau Volantis and the The Thing (Carpenters. The one that matters) vibes are coming out every fucking orifice while Im scouring these bunkers through this blizzard. My hat is off to you Visceral. What a fucking amazing job.
I know right?

Half expected Kurt Russel to come stumbling out of the blizzard.

Replicant

So for anyone who pre-ordered from Amazon, have you gotten your $20 credit and gun yet? I haven't and I'm wondering how long it'll take to get it, my game arrived today.

The gun was sent about 3-4 days before the game was released and the voucher was sent the day the game was released for me. Unforch I don't get to play the game until 2 weeks later since Amazon's international shipping is that slow. But beggar can't be chooser.

Ghazi

The gun was sent about 3-4 days before the game was released and the voucher was sent the day the game was released for me. Unforch I don't get to play the game until 2 weeks later since Amazon's international shipping is that slow. But beggar can't be chooser.

I did order my copy on the 3rd (Feb.) so that may be why it's taking so long since I'm assuming that the codes are being emailed out to people in the order of the date they purchased it. As long as it gets to me eventually I won't care, but I hate contacting support especially since I had to do it once already to fix my shipping and it still didn't arrive on release day.

Mupod

This is how I felt finally getting past that one rappelling section
with the swinging cage you need to stasis. On co-op with my friend being hindered by terrible mouse and keyboard controls.
Took us like 15 tries.

jbpmxybj9Fln1Y.jpg

Also the rappelling stations themselves are infuriating on co-op, it's hard to consistently even get them to activate.

Replicant

I did order my copy on the 3rd (Feb.) so that may be why it's taking so long since I'm assuming that the codes are being emailed out to people in the order of the date they purchased it. As long as it gets to me eventually I won't care, but I hate contacting support especially since I had to do it once already to fix my shipping and it still didn't arrive on release day.

Oh in that case, yeah, I'll wait a bit more before contacting them. I pre-ordered mine around January 24th.

Speaking of the game, do you need to play the side-missions to complete the Hardcore requirement?

You have to beat side missions in one go, or else it doesn't save

I found this out the hard way. Then rage-deleted my 4.5 hour save. But you have to admit, there's even shittier enemy spawning in this one than Dead Space 2. Dead Space was awesome, but these games are just getting progressively worse.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy shit at the Bolas gun. Starting to really get into the weapon crafting stuff now, I don't see myself putting this one away. Thing basically sets swinging dismemberment traps on the floor and has a monstrously powerful standard shot.

ezekial45

Banned
Quick question; does changing the frame from Standard to Elite increase the effectiveness of the weapon? I'm trying to find ways to make my line gun/shotgun combo more effective and the upgrade slots don't seem to help that much.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Yeah, I made the mistake of playing before work tonight and ended up almost being late. I was racing through objectives as fast as I could, and it just wouldn't save. For those of us that frequently only have the free time to play in short bursts, it's pretty bad.

Chapter 10 hasn't been too great.
Fighting the unitologists just isn't fun. It's cool when necromorphs show up and slaughter them, like in the demo. But that doesn't happen most of the time in the full game. It's also frustrating that they make you place the probe weapon in one of your two slots. I made the mistake of crafting it before doing a side mission, and I don't have the option to drop it. I had to put it in my plasma cutter's slot, forcing me to use a rifle. For me, the game is way less fun with a regular machine gun. Killed any enjoyment I would've gotten out of that particular side mission

I'm still enjoying it, but much less so. Hoping it picks up again soon.

KorrZ

Yeah, I really don't understand why the save system in this game is so awful. If you're going to do check points only, you need to save CONSTANTLY. But, for some reason in this game there are regular 15-20 minute gaps in saves, with no way to tell where you'll end up unless you happen to pay attention to the icon in the corner.

I just don't understand how anyone could look at that system and think "Yup. It's good"

Wanny

Okay Visceral you totally blew my mind with Chapters 17+. Lighting, art, visuals were pure masterpiece work. Good job!

Y u no do that kind of stuff all the time :(

Mupod

My friend and I got to 14 and quit for the night, but I honestly cannot complain at all about the human enemies. The fights are incredibly brief and extremely rare so far. If anything they are more of a threat when Necros join the fray and start taking over the bodies.

Nemesis_

Really got engrossed in the space floating in Chapter 4.

The music was so reminiscent of Alien as well, I was in heaven, exploring all these wreckages just for all this unnecessary loot.

It was great *.* Kind of makes me want an open world Dead Space game, but set only in space. :p

mujun

I was worried after all the talk earlier in the thread that this game was going suck. Not the case at all. It's about as scary as my three year old son saying "Boo!" but the atmosphere is great and so far there is a good chunk of variety in what you do. Lighting looks amazing at points, too.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Got my copy of DS3 earlier today, it wasn't supposed to arrive until the 14th but yes! Thank Jesus. I'm going to finish this quiz and pop it in and put in all the codes for it and I'm off

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Hearing people praise chapter 14 and 17 gives me hope that my worries after chapter 10 are unnecessary.

And yeah, Norton is a bag of dicks.

My friend and I got to 14 and quit for the night, but I honestly cannot complain at all about the human enemies. The fights are incredibly brief and extremely rare so far. If anything they are more of a threat when Necros join the fray and start taking over the bodies.

Yeah, the Unitologists aren't really a problem. I find that it breaks up the Necro rushing a bit. Plus I get a sick joy out of using my contraptions on actual people.

Really got engrossed in the space floating in Chapter 4.

The music was so reminiscent of Alien as well, I was in heaven, exploring all these wreckages just for all this unnecessary loot.

It was great *.* Kind of makes me want an open world Dead Space game, but set only in space. :p

oyXH2.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Human enemies are fine to me. I actually really like popping their head with the plasma cutter, or ripping them up with the bolas gun(SERIOUSLY THIS WEAPON GODDAMN).

Also yeah, the earlier space stuff was amazing. They could seriously just make a big Dead Space game that's more open ended in space letting you explore stuff. I'd buy it ten times.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
You are letting your graphics card run itself way too hot by uncapping the FPS, just look at your temps and usage.

Throw on D3doverrider's triple buffering to cap it at 60 and then downsample from 4k.

I normally do. I just wanted to demonstrate to the developer how much spare performance was available for extra effects or longer-lasting corpses, as suggested above.

Standard = 4 upgrade circuits
Elite = 8

8x +2 damage vs. 4x +2 damage :)

Ricker

The Tram will arrive shortly please standby...thanks for telling me sooner and pointing me some place that doesn't work yet...I can't stand stuff like this anymore,time to take a break for today.

jdl

Banned
I'm wondering if EA dropped the ball on marketing this. I'm squarely in this game's demographic, a fan of the originals, and yet I feel no compulsion to buy this.

Top Bottom