• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

RoKKeR

Me and my friend just played through the 'Archaeologist' side mission. Holy shit.
I was Isaac and he was carver, and he was seeing some ridiculous shit. But then on the elevator ride up Carvwr said "we've been sitting in this elevator for 5 minutes, are we going to do anything?" Isaac never said ANYTHING during the mission, so we determined that Carver was hallucinating the whole thing and that the elevator ride was Carver entering and exiting the hallucination.

Holy fuck, now THAT is how you do a co-op mission!

Lima

Elite sounds cooler?

lol

Yeah well I mean if you are building a new weapon there is no reason not to use the elite frame since you don't have to pay to unlock the remaining four upgrade circuits like you have to using the standard frame.

But if you already did that there is no reason to change it because it doesn't do additional damage or anything.

jdl

Banned
I hope their bizarre marketing worked and it sells well, cause it is a fucking awesome game.

I'll be interested to see the numbers. I can recall 2 or 3 different trailers they've released, and my only take away from any of them was 'yo we have monsters, guns, and snow'. From what I've seen, they've totally failed at communicating the essence/experience.

Love the game but some of these enemy encounters are way too cheap to play on hard and not feel frustration. Fair challenge never annoys me, but this does. Some enemy sequences just go on for way too long. It's been my only legitimate complaint thus far.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Has anyone come across a glitch where they can't listen to an audio log? I crashes onto the snowy planet (not a spoiler it's in the demo) and the audio log I'm the crashed ship wouldn't work for me and I have come across two now in these little shacks I hide in to get warm.
So three logs in total that just say "audio message waiting" but it won't let me do anything.

Andrew.

Banned
Me and my friend just played through the 'Archaeologist' side mission. Holy shit.
I was Isaac and he was carver, and he was seeing some ridiculous shit. But then on the elevator ride up Carvwr said "we've been sitting in this elevator for 5 minutes, are we going to do anything?" Isaac never said ANYTHING during the mission, so we determined that Carver was hallucinating the whole thing and that the elevator ride was Carver entering and exiting the hallucination.

Holy fuck, now THAT is how you do a co-op mission!

Ok, now I really wanna do co op.

Grisby

Still enjoying the game, up to chapter 12 now. I've got some story beefs though. I find this whole love triangle thing to be a bit lame. Norton's a standard asshole. I think you could dump him and still get a similarm if not better, tone.

Hello, i have the PS3 version. Is there anyone who would like to do co-op from the start of it? If so send me a pm or add me on PSN (valentine71). I don't wanna play with random people.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Are there audio logs that Issac can't not access?

Ones that are just for Carver?
Can I not access them at the start of chapter 8 because my helmet is damaged?

Ok, I am up to chapter 7 now and so far really like it. Its not as "shootbang" crazy as I thought it may be. It feels like im playing DS1 again, cramped hallways and tram movements and such. I really prefer this, even if I have to backtrack, versus the way you traversed the sprawl. Even in co-op, the gameplay feels familiar, not over the top. Well the first chapter felt that way, with set pieces especially. However, I like the flying around, and it just feels like an expanded version of zero gravity rooms from the first game.

I'm having a way better time with this than I did with RE6, and I'm one of the few who don't think RE6 is shit.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Somehow I just constructed one hell of a grenade launcher on top of a Line Gun mine launcher.

I'll take it!

Care to share your setup?

I put together a ruthless machine gun-bayonet. That I am enjoying quite a bit.

Is anyone still using the standard plasma cutter?
I am. Well the Planet Cutter I got with the game. I know there are tons of other options but I have always loved that gun.
Wish I could carry more than two guns. Would like to make a ripsaw type gun.

Lima

I am. Well the Planet Cutter I got with the game. I know there are tons of other options but I have always loved that gun.

Sure thing. Of course I'm using the plasma cutter. It is the lancer of Dead Space.

Fully upgraded, throw some acid or fire upgrade on it and you got yourself a nice weapon.

Now that I'm in chapter 14 I dropped the bolas gun. I didn't want to but the enemies become faster and faster now and come in such high densities that I had to go back to my trusty force gun to give myself some breathing room.

Andrew.

Banned
Care to share your setup?

I put together a ruthless machine gun-bayonet. That I am enjoying quite a bit.

Wish I could carry more than two guns. Would like to make a ripsaw type gun.

Sure.

Frame - Heavy Standard
Lower Tool - Survey Charge
Upper Tool - Survey Charge
Attachment 1 - MK - V Explosive Amplifier
Upper Tool Tip- Default
Lower Tool Tip - MK - V Compressor
Attachment 2 - MK - V Explosive Amplifier

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Sure thing. Of course I'm using the plasma cutter. It is the lancer of Dead Space.

Fully upgraded, throw some acid or fire upgrade on it and you got yourself a nice weapon.

Now that I'm in chapter 14 I dropped the bolas gun. I didn't want to but the enemies become faster and faster now and come in such high densities that I had to go back to my trusty force gun to give myself some breathing room.

You are far enough into this to help me out.

Were there audio logs that you couldn't access when you first get to the ice planet?

Sure.

Frame - Heavy Standard
Lower Tool - Survey Charge
Upper Tool - Survey Charge
Attachment 1 - MK - V Explosive Amplifier
Upper Tool Tip- Default
Lower Tool Tip - MK - V Compressor
Attachment 2 - MK - V Explosive Amplifier

Thanks. Pretty sure I just picked up my first survey charge. So maybe this gun is in my future.

ironcreed

Banned
Do not care for the cover-based shootouts with the Unitologist soldiers with guns, but thankfully it got pretty Dead Spacey fairly quickly and none of that is nowhere to be found. Only some good old Necromorph filled derelict ship goodness, even though it is just not as dark or creepy as 1 or even 2. It really has it's own vibe within the series, but it is still a very cool game with absolutely fantastic production value. It's still very much Dead Space in that regard. I am enjoying it.

Any way to distract them? I found a text log that said throwing shit gets them away from you and possibly avoiding combat.

No, these are the necrotic (black) feeders that swarm you after taking a certain action. Only options are to blast your way through them, but they are hardy S.O.Bs on Impossible.

Lima

Any way to distract them? I found a text log that said throwing shit gets them away from you and possibly avoiding combat.

I feel so sorry for Visceral.

I mean they designed this new enemy and actually came up with an unique and different approach to deal with them by not making sounds/shining your flashlight at them and throwing stuff with kinesis to distract them and what do I do?

Blow them all back to hell with my bolas gun. You get so much loot after you are done killing them, it is crazy.

No, these are the necrotic (black) feeders that swarm you after taking a certain action. Only options are to blast your way through them, but they are hardy S.O.Bs on Impossible.

Chapter 11 spoiler

Are you inside that giant monster? What I did was go back inside the cage you came down with because I couldn't get rushed from behind in there.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm tearing the place apart, but am finding extremely few tips or attachment pieces, which is severely limiting the kinds of guns I can make : /

Andrew.

Banned
I'm tearing the place apart, but am finding extremely few tips or attachment pieces, which is severely limiting the kinds of guns I can make : /

Are you cashing in your credits/ration things towards the few "downloadable content" resources?

Do it up. It's a great way to earn parts and parts and more parts.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

You can craft them.

I just recently 'got' the whole system. I was spending pretty much all my stuff on my suit, now I'm skimping on it and making weapons instead.

You can craft them.

I just recently 'got' the whole system. I was spending pretty much all my stuff on my suit, now I'm skimping on it and making weapons instead.

The tips are brilliant. I didn't touch them at all till I got to Chapter 10 or 11 cause I didn't get it... but fuck, this just made it exponentially cooler

Andrew.

Banned
Can't you just craft tips? I'm pretty sure I crafted a few.

Don't wanna play the devil's advocate here, but the whole weapon construction thing in this feels somewhat Mass Effect-y to me, even though it was only very lightly touched upon in the original. In fact, even traversing to the different derelicts felt kind of Mass Effect-y, but no bother. The point is, Mass Effect couldve easily benefitted from a weapon system like DS3 has presented.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Save points, how did they work? it just send me to the checkpoint not where I saved my game.

When you save your game it only saves the inventory state. The actual save point is only shown with the circle icon in the corner, you can't force it yourself.

The tips are brilliant. I didn't touch them at all till I got to Chapter 10 or 11 cause I didn't get it... but fuck, this just made it exponentially cooler

Yeah, same here on the same chapter. I atleast wish we had 3 weapons here because I do feel limited now. I would just feel wrong dropping the plasma cutter, but I see I can finally make a ripper...

RoKKeR

Right now I'm rocking a MK-V Pulse Rifle/Evangalizer shotgun + ML-V Bolas (holy shit this thing is great)/Force Gun. Awesome combination and both are fun as hell to use.

Once you really get into the weapon/resource system, it becomes addictive as hell. We're about 10 and a half hours in so far and are only halfway through Chapter 11.

I really can't stop noticing how quickly bodies disappear now. It's not a major problem, but it's one of those small detail things that is a bit jarring.

Up to chapter 15. Overall I'm really enjoying the game, and I'm even planning on replaying it on New Game+ to get more resources and build more guns.

Pros:
-I actually like the resource gathering/gun building thing they have going. It always bugged me that we played an engineer, but nearly all his weapons are bought from a store, and not built from what's lying around. I also prefer the chips to the power nodes: it gives me more freedom to test out all the different weapons, without wasting a finite power up on something I may not like.
-Environments and graphics are great, and they did a good job spicing everything up. Space walk in the beginning was beautiful, and the snow planet is very nice to look at as well.
-There's a bit of a challenge, probably because they've considerably upped the speed and aggressiveness of some enemies to account for the universal ammo, heavy weaponry and status effects. (That, or I just really suck.)
-The idea of "optional missions" is pretty good, but on the other hand is the matter of execution. More on that below.
-Like the puzzle variety. Shockingly enough, I think there has only been two or three "power block" puzzles in the entire game.

Cons:
-The cover/roll mechanics do feel really clunky, and I've experienced so few "firefights" that the game could have probably done without them.
-Some of the side missions are quite good. "Reaper" in particular was very creepy. However, I felt that a lot of them boiled down to "run through these corridors, find the chest, kill a couple waves of necromorphs, leave." They probably focused most of their energy on the co-op missions, but I think future installments would benefit from more varied optional missions.
-I feel there are too many instances of you having to fight off a wave or two of enemies. There's not a lot of them, but they still happen enough to be noticeable, and they're my least favorite kind of encounter.
-Minor nitpick, but I wish the armor upgrades actually showed up on the suits.
-Again, nitpick, and they've been doing this since Dead Space 1, but they should try to move away from "Okay, you reached point 1, but now you need to go and get item a" progression. One of the more notable examples would be the shuttle in the beginning: you find it, then you need to construct a device to make it work, and then you need to refuel it. They need to find a way to make these things flow more naturally.
-Story point:
I was really hoping they wouldn't go the cliche route of making Ellie's boyfriend evil or a traitor...in fact, since he was supposed to be "nice", I was expecting some kind of point about the Marker affecting his mind. But nope, he's just an asshole, and he goes down like one too. Pretty disappointing.

how do you get more robot scavengers things? I need more tungsteno.
You find them as you progress through the game. They're typically among the more obvious items you would find.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Can someone give me the layout on how to make a good automatic rifle?

Single hand or full-on assault rifle?

If you want a crazy single hand gun try this out.

Compact Elite Frame > Military Engine > Default Tip > (unless you got the preorder bonus from GameStop- which I did)
Hydraulic Engine > Default Tip > Ammo Box > Stasis Coat

It's insane. The secondary weapon is an extemely powerful melee weapon. Once you throw some nice circuits in there you are good to go.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Whoever thought giving you bitch status weapons and swarms of speedy Gonzalez necromorphs in the second chapter should be fucking shot lol. Like Issac moves like he's grocery shopping, stasis is useless. I shot a necromorph twice in the leg, stasised him and backpedaled and the fucker still managed to stab me and he didn't stagger. I just dropped the controller and let them have it, all I could do was watch. I'm playing on impossible and the name seems very fitting. And when the necromorphs morph like sprout legs these dudes move faster than Usain Bolt and I can't track them with the gun. These fuckers are on speed man! And the plasma cutter has a super slow firing rate along with reload speed. The combat situations are much harder to control than DS2 whose tempo was much swifter than DS1

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Playing on impossible without it being a "new game +" is suicide. I don't even think they intend you to attempt that. You won't have the stasis abilities or the health or heck the hardware to compete.

I highly suggest you take it down to hard or even normal for your first run through. The first two games were much more enjoyable for me and then when I did my impossible and hardcore runs I felt like I had developed the skills to handle the extra challenge.

Do you have Stasis Coat on your weapons already?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Whoever thought giving you bitch status weapons and swarms of speedy Gonzalez necromorphs in the second chapter should be fucking shot lol. Like Issac moves like he's grocery shopping, stasis is useless. I shot a necromorph twice in the leg, stasised him and backpedaled and the fucker still managed to stab me and he didn't stagger. I just dropped the controller and let them have it, all I could do was watch. I'm playing on impossible and the name seems very fitting. And when the necromorphs morph like sprout legs these dudes move faster than Usain Bolt and I can't track them with the gun. These fuckers are on speed man! And the plasma cutter has a super slow firing rate along with reload speed. The combat situations are much harder to control than DS2 whose tempo was much swifter than DS1

Impossible is sounding very much like a New Game+ thing.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Playing on impossible without it being a "new game +" is suicide. I don't even think they intend you to attempt that. You won't have the stasis abilities or the health or heck the hardware to compete.

I highly suggest you take it down to hard or even normal for your first run through. The first two games were much more enjoyable for me and then when I did my impossible and hardcore runs I felt like I had developed the skills to handle the extra challenge.

Do you have Stasis Coat on your weapons already?

No I didnt have anything and I was actually on chpt. 1 but it was the last section before you have to assemble the train. I had no suit, just the plasma cutter and the initial carbine. I made ot to the end but I was like "yea going to drop down to hard". The necromorphs were powering through stasis. It was insane and I'm pretty good at games but I felt like it was me that just wasn't up to par. Glad to know otherwise

Chapter 11 spoiler

Are you inside that giant monster? What I did was go back inside the cage you came down with because I couldn't get rushed from behind in there.

Yes. It was a good tactic on normal when reviewing, but on Impossible the buggers are dodgy and slip in behind and to the side of me where they are inside my guard where I can't blast them with the shotgun. Doing a run and gun loop worked for the first wave ok, but the last is insane.

If the game saves when I reach that area, than I'll just try the lift again. If it's a bit before, I'll switch to the bolos which will work perfectly.

Impossible is definitely set up for NG+, but I love the challenge. In fact, the difficulty isn't what's wrong, but the design of the encounters in these games. It would have been easy to overwhelm the player without flooding them with an army. Again, it's something I feel is the only thing about the game that screams co-op. Normal isn't too bad and I never died from a normal enemy, but once you go up on the difficulty ladder some of the flaws shine through.

Here's how you turn Impossible to easy mode:

Frame: MK-V Heavy Supercharged Frame
Upper: Military Engine
Upper Tip: MK-V Directed Suspension Field
Lower: Military Engine
Lower Tip: MK-V Conic Dispersal
Attachment 1: MK-V Damage Support
Attachment 2: MK-V Acid Bath
Upper Circuit 1:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Upper Circuit 2:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Upper Circuit 3:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Upper Circuit 4:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Lower Circuit 1:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Lower Circuit 2:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Lower Circuit 3:+2 Damage, +2 Reload
Lower Circuit 4:+2 Damage, +2 Reload

Yeah, finally got DS3 Origin codes in.
Any GAFfer want it
$45
PM me

Still standby my stance on this being a mediocre looking game, but I'm not stopping you guys if you want it.

Top Bottom