• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

LiK

Just replaying on co-op. Chapter 16 is so much fun when you're
racing down the cliffs with a co-op partner. That entire sequence is one of my favorites in the game actually - you've just seen Ellie die and Issac is out for vengeance - combined with the great soundtrack in that part, I found myself rushing through it despite myself, going much, much faster than I usually tackle a Dead Space chapter.

so the entire game can be played in coop right? who's with you for most of it?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
so the entire game can be played in coop right? who's with you for most of it?

I've been playing anonymous drop-in, drop-out the entire way, since I don't have many people I know on Origin who also have this game. It's been working pretty well, except I wish there was a way that I could send a chat message to the individuals I'm playing with (nobody seems to have a mike) - Origin allows you to send text message to people you're friends with, but not people you're playing with that you're not friends with. The co-op missions with Carver are definitely worth playing through for again and they make the
re-used assets of the side missions a lot less noticeable (at least if you're playing as Carver :)).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Seems like a solution may be to replay Chapter 2 and hit the first bench again? I'll try that tomorrow.

Also, I hate that you can't buy the bot upgrades with rations seals.....come on. Day 1 DLC is the worst. Visceral did cram the game with post game content though, but it still fucking sucks.

Edit: Would'a been great if the sidequests offer some permanent upgrades. Like the bot ones.

It would've been nice but it doesn't end up mattering. You find more bots in the game and I have 3 at the moment in chapter 14 IIRC. Faster return time doesn't seem to matter given the benches being spaced out.

gdt

It would've been nice but it doesn't end up mattering. You find more bots in the game and I have 3 at the moment in chapter 14 IIRC. Faster return time doesn't seem to matter given the benches being spaced out.

Mostly the capacity upgrade and the personality one.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Playing DS3 on PC makes me want to play the first two on PC as well, since I played them on PS3. Gonna wait on a sale for the first two games to pop up for Origin.

Also, the suit designs in this game aren't that great compared to DS2's. I wish there seeds statistical bonuses for the suits in this game.

DS1 and DS2 both look gorgeous on the PC. Definitely worth playing through again, if you've only ever played the console versions. (No Severed DLC on the PC for DS2 though. -_-)

I thought the new skinny guys were damn creepy. The noise they make is gross. I played in 5.1 with the volume up.

I really enjoyed the sound work in this game (as I did with the other two) - that noise that the trip mines make when they go off is great if you're playing with a 5.1 or great setup. My favorite Necromorph sound is still the shriek the Stalkers make.

Ahh man, after starting to replay this game, it's reminded me of how strong the game starts out. Really fantastic set pieces, great music etc.

Wasn't a big a fan of the way everything was coming together after the half way point though. So much garbage. :(

LiK

I really enjoyed the sound work in this game (as I did with the other two) - that noise that the trip mines make when they go off is great if you're playing with a 5.1 or great setup. My favorite Necromorph sound is still the shriek the Stalkers make.

is it me or did the guys with the giant explosive blob hands get new audio? they almost sound human and it also creeped me out whenever they showed up.

the surround is great. when they're shuffling inside the vents and moving to a different opening, you can hear the ratting around you. good shit.

GulAtiCa

I'm only on chapter 5 so far, but I'm liking it. Only thing I would complain about is the lack of horror/spookyness/creepyness of the first 2 games.

RoKKeR

Man, the plasma cutter is awesome for almost anything except for the god damn feeders. Jt shit, it chokes against swarms of those things.

Also, the scene of
Norvan's death when he's walking around swinging is hands and ranting is hilarious
. The animation/mocap is god awful.

LiK

whoa, watching some gameplay of the coop and even the Prologue has another guy with you. pretty cool.

and there's in-game banter?! i feel like i'm missing out

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I greatly dislike the save system. I normally wouldn't say this concerning Visceral but it feels lazy and very poorly implemented. I was playing the 2nd side mission in single player and I couldn't get pass a certain part so I decided to attempt it yesterday. Well I come back and essentially I had to replay the entire mission. Issues like that should never happen. Otherwise I'm thoroughly enjoying the game except for at the end of chpt.4 I believe it is, the game feels the need to throw
numerous regenerators
and other necromorphs at you. Also the fact that it a certain enemy is tweaking on the ground and its a narrow corridor, you can't run past him and have to wait until he finishes with his tweaking

Deuterium

I just don't understand why anyone who has played a previous Dead Space game, wouldn't automatically start Dead Space 3 on the highest (Impossible) difficulty.

I mean, talk about getting your monies worth in terms of play-time and challenge.

I am the same way with Halo campaigns. I always make sure I play the game on Legendary on the very first run through. IMHO, it makes all the difference in the world.

And I am no expert gamer, by any stretch of the imagination. However, practice, perservernance (and a lot of dying) builds character. :)

I don't know, to each their own.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I just don't understand why anyone who has played a previous Dead Space game, wouldn't automatically start Dead Space 3 on the highest (Impossible) difficulty.

I mean, talk about getting your monies worth in terms of play-time and challenge.

I am the same way with Halo campaigns. I always make sure I play the game on Legendary on the very first run through. IMHO, it makes all the difference in the world.

And I am no expert gamer, by any stretch of the imagination. However, practice, perservernence (and a lot of dying) builds character. :)

Nah man I started on impossible and I couldn't beat the first chapter, so to hell with all that noise you're spouting j/k. But seriously, it's no joke, you're terribly underpowered, there is no opportunity to upgrade your rig or weapons, stasis and kinesis are useless as enemies power through stasis...yes I couldn't believe it either. Also enemies DON'T stagger unless hit with 3-4 shots which may or may not sever a key limb. So no, I wouldn't recommend it and I'm actually good at games so this isn't empty bitching

Deuterium

Nah man I started on impossible and I couldn't beat the first chapter, so to hell with all that noise you're spouting j/k. But seriously, it's no joke, you're terribly underpowered, there is no opportunity to upgrade your rig or weapons, stasis and kinesis are useless as enemies power through stasis...yes I couldn't believe it either. Also enemies DON'T stagger unless hit with 3-4 shots which may or may not sever a key limb. So no, I wouldn't recommend it and I'm actually good at games so this isn't empty bitching

I hear ya', Allonym. I guess I am just a glutton for punishment. Seriously, I am just an average gamer. I just keep chuggin' away until I get past a level. Like I said, I am quite the expert at getting my ass handed to me. But eventually, after multiple attempts and trying different strategies, I will hit upon one that allows me to get past the real tough spots and onto the next challenge.

Don't get me wrong...I understand it may not be for everybody, and I am sure for many, their patience would run out after getting killed a dozen or more times at the same section.

ILHASS

Finished game on "impossible", not hard at all. I am a fan of 1&2, and i must say i absolutely love 3, except for copy-paste side quests. overall 9 out 10.

RoKKeR

And I am no expert gamer, by any stretch of the imagination. However, practice, perservernance (and a lot of dying) builds character. :)

For me it depends on the game. For games that I just want to experience once I usually keep the difficulty low so I can enjoy myself. On the other hand, games I really enjoy and get into I try and do the highest difficulty throughout multiple playthroughs. Dead Space 3 is one of those games, though I'm not sure I could handle hardcore.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
is it me or did the guys with the giant explosive blob hands get new audio? they almost sound human and it also creeped me out whenever they showed up.

the surround is great. when they're shuffling inside the vents and moving to a different opening, you can hear the ratting around you. good shit.

Yeah, I love the blob guys. I love when they sound off and it's right behind you.

Plissken

Started up a co-op Pure Survival game with a buddy tonight. This feels like the way the game was intended to be played; no ammo/med pack drops, enemies from both sides are more manageable, some cutscenes make more sense and even have some cool little touches added with 2 players.
For example, on the Eudora when Isaac is blown out into space and fumbling for his helmet, Carver jets past (since he's already in a suit) and slaps the helmet to Isaac

The first co-op mission was really cool,
especially since the person playing as Isaac doesn't see/hear the same things Carver does
. I look forward to playing the rest of the game with a friend, and am especially looking forward to the co-op exclusive missions.

LiK

Started up a co-op Pure Survival game with a buddy tonight. This feels like the way the game was intended to be played; no ammo/med pack drops, enemies from both sides are more manageable, cutscenes make more sense and even have some cool little touches added with 2 players.
For example, on the Eudora when Isaac is blown out into space and fumbling for his helmet, Carver jets past (since he's already in a suit) and slaps the helmet to Isaac

The first co-op mission was really cool,
especially since the person playing as Isaac doesn't see/hear the same things Carver does
. I look forward to playing the rest of the game with a friend, and am especially looking forward to the co-op exclusive missions.

i checked the coop stuff and some puzzles are altered for coop too. pretty nice small touches.

JRW

Man, the plasma cutter is awesome for almost anything except for the god damn feeders. Jt shit, it chokes against swarms of those things.

Also, the scene of
Norvan's death when he's walking around swinging is hands and ranting is hilarious

You should also try the Line gun if you haven't already, I'm currently using a Heavy line gun with maxed out Damage rating and it's just shredding enemies, sometimes body parts go flying in every direction lol.

I also hate those damn feeders tho....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished it in solo. Quick and dirty overall thoughts: it was okay, but I stand by my thoughts of it being misdirected in design and narrative in pretty much every respect. Some great ideas there, but none hit the mark or are explored as much as they probably should have been. Weakest entry in the series, so for me it goes Dead Space > Dead Space 2 > Dead Space 3. I liked Extraction a lot more than I expected, but I think it works far better as a companion piece to the original rather something to compare.

Graphics, art, and audio were all outstanding. Maxed out it looked incredible in my opinion, so much so I'd say it's one of the best looking games going around. No idea why EA didn't make a bigger deal of the PC port, and that there was talk of it being a "direct port", which tends to generate cynical impressions. The SSAO, screen space reflections, bokeh-like DOF, etc all looked absolutely fantastic. It might be all smoke and mirrors, as graphics rendering usually is, but the art and technical teams totally knocked it out of the park. Sound was like the rest of the series, more or less perfect. Great weapon and enemy sounds, moody Alien-esque music, rich ambience. The only sound bug I ran into (if it's a bug) was those explosive necros. Their audio mix (5.1 via Dolby Headphone) had their voice always sound as if it was coming from my behind, loudly, no matter where they were in the level. Every other enemy was fine.

Won't score it just yet, but those are my "I just finished" impressions.

RoKKeR

You should also try the Line gun if you haven't already, I'm currently using a Heavy line gun with maxed out Damage rating and it's just shredding enemies, sometimes body parts go flying in every direction lol.

I also hate those damn feeders tho....
I'm doing a "traditional" Classic run using only the Plasma Cutter right now, so I'm kinda forcing it upon myself. Good weapon of not though they are annoying as hell.

LiK

Finished it in solo. Quick and dirty overall thoughts: it was okay, but I stand by my thoughts of it being misdirected in design and narrative in pretty much every respect. Some great ideas there, but none hit the mark or are explored as much as they probably should have been. Weakest entry in the series, so for me it goes Dead Space > Dead Space 2 > Dead Space 3. I liked Extraction a lot more than I expected, but I think it works far better as a companion piece to the original rather something to compare.

Graphics, art, and audio were all outstanding. Maxed out it looked incredible in my opinion, so much so I'd say it's one of the best looking games going around. No idea why EA didn't make a bigger deal of the PC port, and that there was talk of it being a "direct port", which tends to generate cynical impressions. The SSAO, screen space reflections, bokeh-like DOF, etc all looked absolutely fantastic. It might be all smoke and mirrors, as graphics rendering usually is, but the art and technical teams totally knocked it out of the park. Sound was like the rest of the series, more or less perfect. Great weapon and enemy sounds, moody Alien-esque music, rich ambience. The only sound bug I ran into (if it's a bug) was those explosive necros. Their audio mix (5.1 via Dolby Headphone) had their voice always sound as if it was coming from my behind, loudly, no matter where they were in the level. Every other enemy was fine.

Won't score it just yet, but those are my "I just finished" impressions.

the story struggles between the solo and coop narratives. they didn't seem to be able to balance the two with the way Carver acts or appears in the story. i'm noticing it a lot during the coop mode in comparison to the story. certain parts of the coop has weird transitions when it looked normal in Solo and vice-versa.

quite a shame. i'm thinking they didn't have time to do completely custom cutscenes between modes.

kenix

Neo Member
just got the game today and i'm suffering from black borders all four side. My windows desktop is fine but when i'm in-game, there's black border all 4 side. i trying changing all the screen resolution in-game but no luck. it happen to me as well in AC3. Anyone knows how to extend to resolution to the edge of my monitor? I have an ATI6850 and i fumble every screen resolution setting i could find both in-game and windows as well.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm at a point where I just want the game to end, but it keeps on going. The (late game spoiler)
giant aliens aren't fun to fight. At all.
And clumsy hit detection leads to me getting caught in knockdown loops, sometimes to my death.

So much of the game is good, but I stopped having fun a couple hours ago. Really hoping co-op can change my opinion of the last few chapters.

I'm at a point where I just want the game to end, but it keeps on going. The (late game spoiler)
giant aliens aren't fun to fight. At all.

I just finished it and I had a fun pretty much the whole time. If I have a complaint, it's the ridiculous enemy mobs you're forced to fight at times, considering this is supposed to be a survival-horror title.

Mike M

Nick N
Just finished it. The second to last chapter was pretty awful, and the last chapter was scarcely more than one giant action set piece. Kind of cool to look at, but had a flagrant disregard for the laws of physics.

Plot did a reasonably OK job of explaining things, but I think through all the various media formats and releases the franchise has gone through, there's been some lack of communication that has muddied things.

So Convergence is when a Marker consumes the total bio mass of an entire species to sculpt a massive firm for itself. This was already hinted at before, no problem.

There's a whole telepathic network of Marker Moons, and the Tau Volantis moon isn't tapped in due to its state of incompletion. Fine, with you so far.

The Tau Volantis moon is somehow networked with the Earth Markers, broadcasting it's command to be made whole. Er... Why is it tied into those Markers, but not the Moons?

The Moon needs to be stopped, because otherwise it will tell the other moons about Earth and it's Markers, and Convergence will begin. Wait, what? We already know Convergence can occur independently of this, it nearly happened at the end if DS2. Why don't the other moons already know about them? Why would they "eat" us, Convergence would make a new moon. Or are we just talking about this formation of a new moon beast when we're talking about them "coming and eating us," 'cause that doesn't seem to be the case...

JJD

I just finished it and I had a fun pretty much the whole time. If I have a complaint, it's the ridiculous enemy mobs you're forced to fight at times, considering this is supposed to be a survival-horror title.

Watch the post you quoted and spoiler tag it appropriately. Some people might get spoiled.

Carnby

I just landed on the ice planet. One comment.
Everyone survived the crash. Including the people who were sucked out the windows as the shiped entered the atomosphere.
Give me a break.

Sorry if this has been posted, but if you take the first letter in every chapter then it spells out:
Brother Moons Are Awake

So, I beat the game just now. I need to recollect my thoughts, but the last few chapters were pretty awful.

Just completed it solo. Overall as I've seen people say, the first half of the game is great. Things kinda fell apart for me after that. I still enjoyed it, but the more the story progressed the more half-baked it seemed.

Also I should have played on a higher difficulty than normal. Once I had enough resources to craft one of the better guns not one single enemy type was able to give me any trouble.

One of my favourite parts about the DS1+2 was that feeling by the end where it just felt like a gauntlet of pain and death that you could barely make it through. I just didn't feel it this time.

Everyone survived the crash. Including the people who were sucked out the windows as the shiped entered the atomosphere.
Give me a break.

Actually...
Blonde girl is gone, not that she was ever given any story

Give me a break.

Did you seriously miss the
navigation soldier in the seat that got his head cut off?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Finished it. Really disliked chapter 14 and onward, which was disappointing after such a strong first half. All the flotilla stuff was great. It got a little weaker once the Tau Volantis stuff starts, but it's still not bad. I thought the final section was awful.
Everything except the environment in the alien city was awful, in my opinion. Enemy encounters, a majority of the plot points, the final boss fight.
It felt like whoever was responsible for crafting the enemy encounters decided to just throw all finesse and pacing out the window, instead opting to just throw as much shit as you as possible from all directions. Strategic dismemberment became irrelevant, as there was always too much going on to even bother. Just fire at the mass of enemies until they all stop moving. Mash X until you don't see any more items glowing. Move on to the next room. Nothing felt important.

I loved most of the game, and I'm glad I played it. It just takes a bizarre downward turn near the end. It's like a mashup of two games. One is a really great Dead Space game. The other feels like it was made by a B team who had all the parts of a Dead Space game but didn't know how they were supposed to fit together.

Moff

pc sales are 4% of the cake? I doubt digital sales are so big that they could make a difference here. thats incredibly low. even if there is a dead space 4, I doubt we will see a decent pc version. thanks to viceral though, the pc version have improved from game to game, dead space 3 was actually quite decent, apart from the vsync 30 fps issue.

So the farming glitch in ch8 was intentional and their might be additional spots. I think I found another one in the first ship after you meet Ellie. Not sure, but I'm going to check it out tonight.

Why do I do it to myself. I went and bought Dead Space 3. Even though I found both 1 and 2 deeply unsettling.

I don't get when people say these games aren't scary. I never get scared by movies or most games, but playing Dead Space games with headphones on always freaks me right out.

Maybe scared isn't the right word, but man I'm on edge and tense. I think it's the sound as much as anything.

Anyway, early impressions on PC is that the game runs like a dream and looks incredibly sweet.

Playing through the first chapter in that Blade Runner-esque futuristic city really has me dying for a solid sci-fi action adventure game, shorter on scares but with more story/adventure elements. I love Dead Space and its settings, but I'd prefer a more relaxed gaming experience. I guess I'm in the minority as most people want these games to be as creepy as possible. I'm in it for the cool sci-fi.

When disassembling weapons, can you get stuff like scrap metal back, or can you only reduce them back to unassembled components?

I feel like I'm being too tight with using my parts to build things; I'm at chapter 6, and only have a plasma cutter, line gun/force gun, and the DLC enervator.

Patryn

Also, the scene of

Ripper chews up Feeders. It's been way nerfed in this one, but it does handle those bastards like it used to handle everything else.

gdt

I can confirm that replaying Chapter 2 until you hit the first bench...enter it, exit it, then save fixes the Infinite Ammo glitch.

nel e nel

I know about the flying sections, but you can only replay chapters when you have already finished the game once right?

Since after that one on chapter 2 the next flying section was only near the end of the game
(on the alien city)
I decided to start again. It was my first run.

Anyway, thanks for the help man!

I was under the impression you could load up a previous chapter as long as you had completed it, was I wrong?

Anyways, at least you weren't too far into it.

General question regarding the save system:

I completed Chapter 5 (God I hate those fucking things), and went just far enough ahead to get the 'Progress Saving' update, but then backtracked to do the Conning Tower side quest. I finished that, and have now gone on to continue the main story, but saved and quit just as I reached the tram station. The game showed the Conning Tower as 'Objective Complete', but I did not get another 'Progress Saving' notification after that. Does that mean it's actually complete? Or will I have to do that whole thing over again now?

Lima

When disassembling weapons, can you get stuff like scrap metal back, or can you only reduce them back to unassembled components?

Don't dismantle the planet cracker plasma cutter that you get for the DS2 save file though.

There is a bug which makes you unable to build the thing again. You just can't access the planet cracker upper tip.

I was under the impression you could load up a previous chapter as long as you had completed it, was I wrong?

Yes. After completing a chapter it is available from chapter select.

Top Bottom