• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Danielsan

So I'm about halfway through. Around chapter 10. Playing on hard, as I usually do with Dead Space games. The game is a lot better than I expected. That said, they just started trowing
human
enemies at me again...

I've just got to the Greely and it's definitely Dead Space so far. I figured I'd go with Impossible first time around and that's treating me pretty well so far. I'm not sure why the prologue is there - it didn't really add anything for me. I much preferred how the other two just dropped you in and went from there.

It's looking pretty fabulous on PC, but I've got a stuttering issue that simply won't go away. I've tried forcing V-sync through D3DOverrider, doing the same through RadeonPro while limiting the frame rate, etc, etc. It runs perfectly it just 'jumps' when I move every 10 or so seconds. Other than that, the performance for a purported 'bare bones' port is pretty darn impressive, IMO.

Qwell

Have a silly question, but so far google hasn't been able to help me. Is there a way to use voice chat with Dead Space 3 if you are playing on PC (origin) and your co-op partner is a random? (not on my friends list)

So I'm testing how exploitable the combat is. In some rooms, you can trigger spawn points and then retreat into the former hallway to pick the bad guys off. They can't reach outside a certain patrollable area. But then if you go too far, they literally reset. So I had two guys drop from vents (OMG SURPRISE). I stepped through a doorway...and they actually went back up into the vents.

This happened a lot in the previous games too.

Have always thought the vent thing is overused in these games. Just becomes so predictable.

LiK

So I'm about halfway through. Around chapter 10. Playing on hard, as I usually do with Dead Space games. The game is a lot better than I expected. That said, they just started trowing
human
enemies at me again...

Those enemies were few and far between. Didn't mind them at all. Kinda refreshing compared to the huge amount of Necromorphs in the game. Too many at times.

Moff

What happened to the writing in this game? [...]
Who is Danik anyway? He just came out of nowhere. The whole Unitology thing feels so forced. Went from a kind of creepy mysterious cult in the first game to this all powerful universal army in the third game. The Sovereign Colony stuff came out of nowhere too.

so your idea of good writing is no development of the story between the games and no new elements to it? at all?
Personally, I think the sovereign stuff and how the story was told through relics from three different times was pretty clever writing. but the hate this game gets is really astonishing, especially considering that both first games were quite far from perfect.

so your idea of good writing is no development of the story between the games and no new elements to it? at all?
Personally, I think the sovereign stuff and how the story was told through relics from three different times was pretty clever writing. but the hate this game gets is really astonishing, especially considering that both first games were quite far from perfect.

Welcome to the internet... and neogaf. I pride myself on getting enjoyment out of most games, compared to most people these days.

The part with the best writing and execution to me so far has been
Santos' fate... the way Isaac talked her through her fear of heights told us something about her which made her immediately more interesting and relatable, so when the inevitable happened I actually felt something through the decent dialogue and voice performance and buildup
. I thought that moment was genuinely well done and even surprising.

nel e nel

I've just got to the Greely and it's definitely Dead Space so far. I figured I'd go with Impossible first time around and that's treating me pretty well so far. I'm not sure why the prologue is there - it didn't really add anything for me. I much preferred how the other two just dropped you in and went from there.

You're still pretty early in the game. I'm maybe 1 or 2 chapters ahead of you, and as you progress through the flotilla and find audio/text logs, the prologue will start to make more sense.

LiK

The part with the best writing and execution to me so far has been
Santos' fate... the way Isaac talked her through her fear of heights told us something about her which made her immediately more interesting and relatable, so when the inevitable happened I actually felt something through the decent dialogue and voice performance and buildup
. I thought that moment was genuinely well done and even surprising.

Yup, she was an interesting character and actually helpful. Unlike those meatheads.

Shouta

Just finished it on hard. Not bad but not great either. Far too many Resident Evil 5/6 style action room setups that were telegraphed a mile away. The first two DS games had that too but a bit of atmosphere and random enemies popping out helped that a lot more. The enemy variety was far too low and recycled foes were just a bit boring because the same fight patterns worked on them like it did in the previous two games. Map design really didn't aid in getting the most of the weapon crafting either. There's never a reason to use a zoom or sniper rifle and setting mines isn't helpful outside of the predictable vents.

In the end, I went with a double Saw weapon with Stasis Amplify and Flame gaze and max damage for when all the enemies rushed me. Slow'em down if they don't die easily and let the flaming chainsaws do the work. Secondary weapon was either a fully automatic rifle or that chaingun-ish with max damage/clips using a rocket launcher sub, using Status Guard (for explosions) and Flame Gaze.

I like the weapon crafting for sure but they definitely need to balance it out a little more and maybe give some more variety. There's really no reason to use the compact frames and some of the weapon types don't have enough merits for their damage/power/ammo points.

IMO, theres a difference between development in between games and literally opening up a game with all new story elements/characters that never had a mention before.

Good writing is where you have a buildup and progress at a natural pace over time, and what might have been these small details in past are thrown into current light and are now a big deal.

I mean Danik is the leader of Unitology right? Well known public figure? Pretty big deal... Well... he didnt ever get a mention because why?

In Gears of War 3 for example, there is a new enemy type called the Lambent that takes up a huge chunk of the story and focus... but we were SLOWLY teased of their existence over the course of the trilogy and their existence fit in well with the universe and what was happening. They didn't come out of thin air. Thats what he is trying to say about Danik and Sovereign Colonies Faction.

Mass Effect 1 and Cerberus? You heard about them in the first game, and then in the second game they took a larger role. We weren't necessarily like "where did they come from all of the sudden?"

Its hard to care otherwise and it feels forced in terms of writing... shoehorning just feels off.

Moff

I mean Danik is the leader of Unitology right? Well known public figure? Pretty big deal... Well... he didnt ever get a mention because why?

danik is not the unitlogy leader, he is the leader of the circle, and extremist arm of unitology

but anyway, even if he were the leader of all unitlogy, how is it DS3's fault if the leader was never mentioned in the previous games? are we now never allowed wo know who that is?
I just find it odd to criticise new additions to a story, and I think they are not at all badly introduced, especially the sovereign bit was quite intriguing to me.

Dibbz

IMO, theres a difference between development in between games and literally opening up a game with all new story elements/characters that never had a mention before.

Good writing is where you have a buildup and progress at a natural pace over time, and what might have been these small details in past are thrown into current light and are now a big deal.

In Gears of War 3 for example, there is a new enemy type called the Lambent that takes up a huge chunk of the story and focus... but we were SLOWLY teased of their existence over the course of the trilogy and their existence fit in well with the universe and what was happening. They didn't come out of thin air. Thats what he is trying to say about Danik and Sovereign Colonies Faction.

Mass Effect 1 and Cerberus? You heard about them in the first game, and then in the second game they took a larger role. We weren't necessarily like "where did they come from all of the sudden?"

Its hard to care otherwise and it feels forced in terms of writing... shoehorning just feels off.
You know the antagonist of Dead Space 3 is shit when they feel it is perfectly fine to have *ending spoiler*
him crushed by a rock in a cutscene to conveniently sweep him under the rug because there was no other use for him.

Some parts of the game were good but honestly I'm done with Dead Space now. 3 games in a row of building up to a final level where they just throw enemies at you. Story is throwaway and the characters mean nothing to me. Even Dead Space 2 was a stretch for me but 3 just shows they have no intention of trying to evolve the game and would rather refine and gear towards a more action experience.

danik is not the unitlogy leader, he is the leader of the circle, and extremist arm of unitology

but anyway, even if he were the leader of all unitlogy, how is it DS3's fault if the leader was never mentioned in the previous games? are we now never allowed wo know who that is?
I just find it odd to criticise new additions to a story, and I think they are not at all badly introduced, especially the sovereign bit was quite intriguing to me.

Ok my bad, so the leader of some zealot sect of unitologists. But again, he is apparently super powerful and has an army that could, and does, defeat EarthGov(massive mega fuck government authority)? That seems like its really invented on the spot. I mean so far, in every piece of DS fiction we are told EarthGov is all powerful, so not knowing there is something out there, equally if not more powerful than EarthGov, until start of game when war is over (that we never knew started?) ... is a bit like a blindside.

I wouldnt have issues with it either personally if they werent such HUGE prominent figures and set pieces in the game.

When the game is trying to present new ideas/conflicts/characters that they want you to CARE about. Its pretty hard to become invested when you are JUST TOLD/INTRODUCED. I have no investment in them and they want me to just accept it no questions asked? Thats why the expression "fell flat" really comes up. I can understand some have no issue with it, but don't be shocked how some see it the other way and reject the story.

Playing DS3 on PC makes me want to play the first two on PC as well, since I played them on PS3. Gonna wait on a sale for the first two games to pop up for Origin.

Also, the suit designs in this game aren't that great compared to DS2's. I wish there seeds statistical bonuses for the suits in this game.

Moff

Ok my bad, so the leader of some zealot sect of unitologists. But again, he is apparently super powerful and has an army that could, and does, defeat EarthGov(massive mega fuck government authority)? That seems like its really invented on the spot. I mean so far, in every piece of DS fiction we are told EarthGov is all powerful, so not knowing there is something equally if not more powerful out until start of game when war is over (that we never knew started?) ... is a bit like a blindside.

I wouldnt have issues with it either personally if they werent such HUGE prominent figures and set pieces in the game.

When the game is trying to present new ideas/conflicts/characters that they want you to CARE about. Its pretty hard to become invested when you are JUST TOLD/INTRODUCED. I have no investment in them and they want me to just accept it no questions asked? Thats why the expression "fell flat" really comes up. I can understand some have no issue with it, but don't be shocked how some see it the other way and reject the story.
as I already said, I totally get that. but my question is how that is dead space 3 fault, when there is nothing they can build on? they failed to introduce these figures in the earlier games, so after your logic the fault lies there and not in dead space 3. I just dont think DS3 has particularly bad writing compared to the first two installments. but I guess its fair to say they probably didnt know what a success it would be, so they had no reason to introduce all of this, but thats not at all a reason for me to not expand that universe now, especially if its well done with the three time zones.

apart from that, I doubt danik is such a prominent figure, although I surely agree that it would have been cool if he or his "circle" would in some way have been introduced in the earlier games, but it seems kind of unfair to me to call the writing bad because of that, honestly. especially considering that dead space is not a franchise that is known to be well written, frankly.

as I already said, I totally get that. but my question is how that is dead space 3 fault, when there is nothing they can build on? they failed to introduce these figures in the earlier games, so after your logic the fault lies there and not in dead space 3. I just dont think DS3 has particularly bad writing compared to the first two installments. but I guess its fair to say they probably didnt know what a success it would be, so they had no reason to introduce all of this, but thats not at all a reason for me to not expand that universe now, especially if its well done with the three time zones.

apart from that, I doubt danik is such a prominent figure, although I surely agree that it would have been cool if he or his "circle" would in some way have been introduced in the earlier games, but it seems kind of unfair to to call the writing bad because of that, honestly. especially considering that dead space is not a franchise that is known to be well written, frankly.

True about DS3 not being entirely at fault. But I keep bringing up other fiction as well. DS has had films, books, graphic novels, xbla game, story DLC. Some of which has come out in between DS2-DS3. Surely they could have introduced some of these things in the universe somewhere. Yes maybe they didn't know how big the franchise would get, but that just lends itself to feeling forced.

For example in Halo 4 they had a new villain, the Didact, a forerunner who has never been in any games but was introduced and talked about a ton in the Halo fiction. For such a big character and figure to remain hidden and unknown for so long seems nonsensical. You know what I mean, and yes its not all DS3' fault, they did need SOME villain to help drive plot.

I do think the writing is bad in the sense that the characters motives and actions at times makes no sense (i think I go over that in spoilers thread a lot). One example is the
Love triangle quarrel
written in was laughably horrible. And seemed so petty and childish at a time when there are... more pressing matters lol.

RoKKeR

Everyone should watch the discussion on the GT Invisible Walls podcast (10:22).

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-ep...-walls-episode-241--surviving-horror-survival

They go into how the economy and worrying about crafting ruins the atmosphere. How the pacing is not as well thought-out as the previous games. And loads more.

I totally disagree with the whole economy thing. Collecting resources and crafting new tools/weapons in order to survive is one of the best parts of the game. Isaac is an engineer, and this is one of the first times we get to see him make use of his skills. It fits the game perfectly. And so what if I stop for a few minutes to craft a new weapon? Every single minute in a horror game doesn't need tension or scares. Downtime is welcome and lets you have some time to breathe before you step back into the game.

LiK

One thing I enjoyed are the text logs. I wish there were some video ones but better than nothing. They added quite a bit to what's going on. The Artifacts also give a lot of info about the Unitologists but its annoying that they're hidden collectibles.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Ok my bad, so the leader of some zealot sect of unitologists. But again, he is apparently super powerful and has an army that could, and does, defeat EarthGov(massive mega fuck government authority)? That seems like its really invented on the spot. I mean so far, in every piece of DS fiction we are told EarthGov is all powerful, so not knowing there is something out there, equally if not more powerful than EarthGov, until start of game when war is over (that we never knew started?) ... is a bit like a blindside.

haha really? So Visceral's writers took ME3's script and replaced every mention of Cerberus with Unitoligists? Playing DS3 will be hilarious, sad, but still hilarious.

d0c_zaius

Isaac is an engineer, and this is one of the first times we get to see him make use of his skills. It fits the game perfectly. And so what if I stop for a few minutes to craft a new weapon? Every single minute in a horror game doesn't need tension or scares. Downtime is welcome and lets you have some time to breathe before you step back into the game.

but then brofirst coop guy isnt an engineer and can do the exact same thing. in coop its an annoying time sink, especially since a lot of it is bloat.

RoKKeR

I'll definitely agree with the story being the worst part of the game. I found myself getting lost in the details, and not really being sure of what we were doing or why. And some of the writing was pretty horrendous as well. Love triangles,
betrayal, Ellie somehow coming back to life, (this was extremely stupid) etc.
it was all just par for the course. And the Chapter 12-16 area definitely dragged on for far too long.

Aside from that, everything is top notch and arguably the best in the series. Environments, combat, audio/visuals, art (again, bravo art team) and the new crafting system are consistently great. There is also a bunch of replay value. As soon as I finished I started up another NG+ run on Classic, and intend to go through Pure Survival and do another co-op playthrough as Carver.

All and all I really do like the game, and I think it is brimming with quality. There are missteps here and there, yes, but I think it deserves a bit more credit than it's getting.

8.75/10, and I really hope we see more of the franchise later on in the next console life style. The sereis needs to take a few years off. Lima brings up a great point. The universe of Dead Space is great, but I think the gameplay has finally run it's course.

Lima

Everyone should watch the discussion on the GT Invisible Walls podcast (10:22).

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-ep...-walls-episode-241--surviving-horror-survival

They go into how the economy and worrying about crafting ruins the atmosphere. How the pacing is not as well thought-out as the previous games. And loads more.

Now the part that is really spot on is at 15:38.

When the guy is talking about novelty.

The game is played out now. In DS1 I was genuinely scared of every combat because the guys coming out of the vents, following you through them if you went to another room was terrifying.

Now that was also a problem in the second game but in the third one it is an even bigger one.

In DS3 I enter a room and immediately check the vents and I know how the following fight is going to play out.

So while I love the Dead Space games, I would be very happy if they ditched the IP and work on something new for next gen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

How did you get that from what I said? It's absolutely the opposite. It falls on Dead Space 3 because they don't properly introduce the character or why he's important or where he's from very well in this game. I mean, think of the sum total of all games in history. And think about how many of them are just 1 game series...so no sequels or prequels. Many of those games manage to introduce their antagonists and protagonists and develop them within one title. I don't think you can really say that about this game, and it hurts the story of the game. So that's my criticism of this particular title.

I don't think the individual writing in the other two is bad.

I need a little more to make me believe than this guy with a ridiculously douchey ponytail and a windbreaker.

Welcome to the internet... and neogaf. I pride myself on getting enjoyment out of most games, compared to most people these days.

What's this supposed to mean?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
yeah but the way they move... damn!

alright, question, I can make some new weapons: Badger, Show Stopper, Seeker Rifle... not sure what they do or which ones are worth it.

You don't lose any of the materials used to make them. You can break them down afterwards if you don't like them.
Give em a try.

If Visceral is so evil (for putting microtransactions in the game) would they have also created this "glitch"?
Probably not.

@gameinformer: Dead Space 3's Infinite Resources Glitch Won't Be Fixed http://t.co/lvLYHkId

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
holy shit, this new enemy type that
warps around
is crazy

Are you talking about the stasis necros? They were in 1 and 2 as well. Unless you're talking about something else. I still have a couple hours left, I think.

Edit: ah, nevermind. Yeah, they're tricky this time around. Way more of a threat.

LiK

Oh, didn't know there was no risk involved or I would have been a lot more experimental to begin with. Thanks!

It's a great system. Needs to come back in DS4. I made a shottie/flamethrower combo and it was my fave custom. Actually, a force gun/flame thrower would be good.

def sim

Well, I'm now partly through chapter ten so that's enough for now. It looks like the Dead Space 1 tone was shifted away for something a bit more similar to the second game's once we arrived on the planet.

LiK

Well, I'm now partly through chapter ten so that's enough for now. It looks like the Dead Space 1 tone was shifted away for something a bit more similar to the second game's once we arrived on the planet.

Like a combo of both. First half for DS1 lovers and second half for DS2 lovers. And the new characters for assholes who like bad writing.

Lima

Not having any trouble with them. I was just a bit taken by surprise with their animations which I thought were neat.

I know. That is what I was saying. They animations are neat and they look cool but ultimately they are a boring enemy. Just like the stalker.

I know. That is what I was saying. They animations are neat and they look cool but ultimately they are a boring enemy. Just like the stalker.

eh, I find most enemies in games to be boring unless I'm playing something like Bayonetta. With horror games I mainly judge them on how creepy they are.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

I love the stalker. I feel genuine fear when facing them which is awesome.
Not sure why they make me tense exactly but they do.

LiK

eh, I find most enemies in games to be boring unless I'm playing something like Bayonetta. With horror games I mainly judge them on how creepy they are.

I thought the new skinny guys were damn creepy. The noise they make is gross. I played in 5.1 with the volume up.

I thought the new skinny guys were damn creepy. The noise they make is gross. I played in 5.1 with the volume up.

Wish I had surround sound... I'll be in an apartment for the next two years so I can't have a proper sound setup, but this game (among others) has convinced me that I need some quality surround headphones.

LiK

Wish I had surround sound... I'll be in an apartment for the next two years so I can't have a proper sound setup, but this game (among others) has convinced me that I need some quality surround headphones.

Yes! The audio in the DS games have been amazing right from the first game and only got better. Get good headphones and it should be adequate.

The crafting obliterated any sort of tension from the enemies. I made a lightning gun that ricocheted around enemies, decapitated in one hit and had an underslung forcegun to blast away any fool that survived my withering hail of lightning death...and then i equipped stasis modules as the extras.

Regenerators? fucking lol...i jugged about 5 of them in the air during one of the optional missions.

Terrible idea.

I beat the game. It's my least favorite in the franchise, and a big step back. Even in terms of story which seems to be a little messy compared to the previous two games. It is beautiful, though. I'll give it that.

Top Bottom