• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I ended up building what was basically a sniper rifle, and kept it to the end game. Damage on the construction sheet was maxed out, and I buffed it with as many 2xDamage mods as I could.

Only ~5 rounds per magazine and slow firing, but popped enemies in one or two shots. Pretty sure I had bonus electro damage on it too.

Patryn

I ended up building what was basically a sniper rifle, and kept it to the end game. Damage on the construction sheet was maxed out, and I buffed it with as many 2xDamage mods as I could.

Only ~5 rounds per magazine and slow firing, but popped enemies in one or two shots. Pretty sure I had bonus electro damage on it too.

This is something I was wondering: I also have my Eviscerator Shotgun show max damage; At that point, does putting more damage circuits actually do anything? Or is there a damage cap?

Lima

This is something I was wondering: I also have my Eviscerator Shotgun show max damage; At that point, does putting more damage circuits actually do anything? Or is there a damage cap?

There is no damage cap. It actually goes beyond the scale and still adds damage. I tested this with one of the black necromorphs.

I'm almost at the end, chapter 18. When you finish, can you start new game+ on Impossible or other difficulties, but with all your shit carried over (weapons, upgrades) or do you have to start fresh if starting a new difficulty?

IronRinn

I've been making my way very slowly through this, mostly for one, obnoxious reason: Playing on the PC and whenever I'm near a telekenisis controlled door, it sounds like someone is using a jackhammer. It's like the door physics are freaking out and the sound for the door's hydraulics are playing over and over in rapid succession. It's infuriating. Anyone else having this issue? Running a GTX 670 and an i5 2500K.

RPG

I'm almost at the end, chapter 18. When you finish, can you start new game+ on Impossible or other difficulties, but with all your shit carried over (weapons, upgrades) or do you have to start fresh if starting a new difficulty?
Yes, everything will carry over but only for the Standard game mode. The other 3 modes require new saves to be made.

LOL @
the game waiting until the last few chapters to give Carver some characterization

Yes, everything will carry over but only for the Standard game mode. The other 3 modes require new saves to be made.

So if I beat it on casual, I can only start a new game+ on casual? I can't carry my stuff over to say the impossible difficulty?

Nemesis_

So if I beat it on casual, I can only start a new game+ on casual? I can't carry my stuff over to say the impossible difficulty?

If you beat it, you can go into New Game + on the menu.

Once you're in the menu, you can make four choices.

1.) New Game +
Carries over all your shit from a previous playthrough.​

2.) Classic Mode
Classic aiming, no co-op, blueprinted weapons only, no crafting. Hard mode.​

3.) Pure Survival Mode
No enemy drops bar components. Only crafting yields items. Hard mode.​

4.) Hardcore Mod
Dying erases your save file. You can save however. Hard mode.​

If you pick 2, 3 or 4 - the game will take you to your save slot selection and allow you to create a new game in the save slot. This save slot is treated as a brand new game (you will even be given the notifications about, for example, your planet cracker plasma cutter or your N7 armour all over as if you're restarting again).

So, the only way to carry your stuff over is to complete the game, and then choose 1. This then allows you to carry everything over.

Completing 2, 3 or 4 yields rewards that are applied to your save file, but as far as I'm aware to make things fair they are only available in 1. (Ie. you can't use the devil horns in pure survival or hardcore).

If you select New Game+ proper (option 1 as I have written here), the game will copy your save file to another slot (named "New Game+") and then allow you to change difficulty as you see fit.

Right-- and thanks for the explanation-- I'm just asking if I can go through the game on Impossible with everything carried over from beating the game on lower difficulties.

By the way, thanks to the color scheme of the last few chapters, everything has a green tint to it, it's like I'm in the Matrix or something.

Moff

There is no damage cap. It actually goes beyond the scale and still adds damage. I tested this with one of the black necromorphs.

howe did you test that?
that would be really weird, why cap the display but not the damage?

Lima

howe did you test that?
that would be really weird, why cap the display but not the damage?

Pretty simple actually.

I shot one of the black dudes several times with the damage scale maxed out with a high powered javelin gun without any other status effects. It took 2-3 shots to kill them.

Now I've pumped in all +3 damage and I killed them with 1 shot most of the time, with occasional 2 shot kills in between.

To me that seems that the damage goes beyond the scale.

Need some chapter 11 help,
I am inside the giant necromorph and the children of satan are giving me a thorough pounding, what weapon is best to deal with them?

They do insane damage even though I am one upgrade away from max armor

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I am inside the giant necromorph and the children of satan are giving me a thorough pounding, what weapon is best to deal with them?

I had a plasma cutter with hydraulic knife attachment on it, waited for them to come to me and went to town. Chugged medkits like a mutha though.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I've been making my way very slowly through this, mostly for one, obnoxious reason: Playing on the PC and whenever I'm near a telekenisis controlled door, it sounds like someone is using a jackhammer. It's like the door physics are freaking out and the sound for the door's hydraulics are playing over and over in rapid succession. It's infuriating. Anyone else having this issue? Running a GTX 670 and an i5 2500K.

I'm hearing this as well - I thought it was actually intentional. GTX 680 and an i7 something or other.

The ripper has been sadly nerfed in DS3 (still haven't managed to make it as powerful as it was in DS2), otherwise I'd suggest that. I got through that section using a forcegun with stasis attachment.

Pretty simple actually.

I shot one of the black dudes several times with the damage scale maxed out with a high powered javelin gun without any other status effects. It took 2-3 shots to kill them.

Now I've pumped in all +3 damage and I killed them with 1 shot most of the time, with occasional 2 shot kills in between.

To me that seems that the damage goes beyond the scale.

Something I noticed is that when the number of bars is maxed out in the upgrade menu, additional upgrades will cause the bars to lengthen a bit. I'm assuming that can be maxed out as well, but just a little cue to help show that there is a change before you go off to test it out.

Mike M

Nick N

I used my Force Gun/Evangelizer Shotgun combo with an ammo box on the shotgun and lots of rate of fire upgrades. Alternated between knocking them down with FG and shot gunning them. Plus some stasis.

EDIT: Is the game glitchy, or are there rules that govern attachments that we're just not told about? I can put a stasis coating on my force gun in my rocket launcher/force gun combo, but I can't put it on my force gun/shotgun combo. Is it a matter of upper and lower weapons?

I had a plasma cutter with hydraulic knife attachment on it, waited for them to come to me and went to town. Chugged medkits like a mutha though.

The ripper has been sadly nerfed in DS3 (still haven't managed to make it as powerful as it was in DS2), otherwise I'd suggest that. I got through that section using a forcegun with stasis attachment.

hmm thanks for the ideas, will give those a shot.

I ran back inside the cage and waited for them. Bolas gun helped a lot.

If you're not on Classic mode, I suggest an anchored bolas gun with a melee weapon attachment for if they get under your guard. The bolas gun blueprint works just as well. Acid bath module is recommended. Stay in the cage and you'll get through ok.

Finished. Are there multiple endings or was that a what you see is what you get?

I thought the game was pretty great overall. Had solid survival horror elements. My chief complaint is simply the enemy encounters, sometimes they feel overwhelming and thus cheap but it wasn't enough to like ruin the game or anything.

def sim

When I continue my game later in the evening, I think I'm going to ditch the plasma cutter. It's breaking tradition, but it's not cutting (ey) it in this game. Maybe I'll try a run with it exclusively when I have some significant upgrade parts available.

There is something at the end of the credits
. Otherwise, what you see is what you get.

Alright. I thought the ending was okay...
I liked that you didn't actually see Isaac or Carver die, and Ellie was largely redeemed as her insistence to go to Tau Volantis proved to be humanity-saving and she wasn't being a bitch anymore by the end

edit: LOL nvm

Holy shit the ending credits music, very nice. Jason Graves ftw!

AwShucks

I'm in Chapter 10. It's slow going (I have a full time job and a kid so I get MAYBE two hours a night plus she has been sick the last week. She apparently realized her Dad wanted to play Dead Space and thought "nah, I'll make him be up all night taking care of me"). It's very much a Dead Space game through and through. Human combat is so-so. Not great, not needed, but I understand the point of it as far as the story is concerned.

Side missions are fantastic. They remind me of Fallout 3/NV vaults. Creepy and have their own little story. They've also helped extend the game a great deal, as I said I'm in Chapter 10 and I Believe I'm already around 8 hours.

Weapon crafting is a conundrum. I'm messing around, trying some new things but I think I like the Plasma Cutter and the Tesla Enervator most. Using Bolas right now, which isn't bad. Almost makes some fights too easy. On the note of crafting, I love that I was able to buy the giant resource packs with the ration tickets (or whatever they are). It allowed me to make some new weapons and upgrade my suit a lot quicker than I would have otherwise.

Mike M

Nick N
When I continue my game later in the evening, I think I'm going to ditch the plasma cutter. It's breaking tradition, but it's not cutting (ey) it in this game. Maybe I'll try a run with it exclusively when I have some significant upgrade parts available.
Plasma cutter being nerfed breaks my heart into a million pieces. Always my go-to weapon in all cases, I was feeling the hurt with it before I even reached a bench to build something else.

Manp

so i got to the start of chapter 6 saved and left the game there.

today i pick it up and i find myself at the end of chapter 5 just before the last room
filled with enemies, where i have to wait for the transport,
with the inventory i had after beating the same room the first time, which is basically nothing! and of course i keep dying.

whoever thought of this saving system deserve to be shot
LLShC.gif

The weapon crafting in this was pretty awesome. The menu was cumbersome as hell, but by the end of the game I was dominating with my super revolver x rapid fire boltgun + stasis bullets behemoth.

And to those complaining about universal ammo, calling it Dead Space: Invisible War - it makes a shitload of sense if weapon crafting is to work at all. Unless you don't like either system..

Mike M

Nick N
You know what? Fuck this game and its shambler heads and infector swarmer thingies. I painstakingly mutilate every corpse I pass for the express purpose of not letting these fuckers come out and create a bunch of slashers and shamblers, only for the game to magically reassemble them when I pass through the area again when it springs the heads and infector swarmer thingies. It's like Visceral is mad that I learned the lessons of past games and took appropriate precautions : P

Seriously, I can only think of maybe three instances where proactive dismemberment actually left them nothing to reanimate. The heads in particular seem to glitch out sometimes, and will just hop up and down where a body was trying to latch on.

KorrZ

Just got through Chapter 10.
After having a great time exploring space and a good initial reaction to the planet they decide to throw human enemies at me again...
I really hope that for Dead Space 4 they leave that awful shit behind. It has no place in the game and was single handedly what made my initial impressions of the game so bad.

test_account

XP-39C²
I just beat the game on hard difficulty. An amazing game in my opinion, a well worthy sequel to the excellent Dead Space 1 and 2. I kept using the plasma cutter throughout the whole game, and it was also the only weapon that i kept upgrading. I dont understand the complaints about this game being more of a shooter. To me, it didnt really feel any different from Dead Space 1 and 2. I felt that the horror elements in the game were intact, especially reading some of the logs
like the private who had to clean the toilets with his bare hands for a week, then got laughed at and cut the heads off 15 people. Crazy stuff!

IronRinn

I'm hearing this as well - I thought it was actually intentional. GTX 680 and an i7 something or other.

I definitely don't think it's intentional:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dead-Space-3/Dead-Space-3-Door-Sound-Bug-Glitch/td-p/471140

Any feeling of dread I've been having has been due to the fear that I'm going to near one of these damn doors and hear that awful noise.

Edit: Here's what it sounds like, for those who are curious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzT9Y5e7gcw

njean777

maybe I am dumb, but what are the rations used for? I have like 130+ of them.

Also I have a machine gun plasma cutter which just wrecks everything, I have no clue how I built it, but I love it. Have had it the whole game and havent had any problems after building it with rushing enemies.

def sim

maybe I am dumb, but what are the rations used for? I have like 130+ of them.

They're used to purchase microtransaction packs without using real money. Go to the downloadable content page to do so. With 130, you should be able to buy two of the most expensive ones.

njean777

They're used to purchase microtransaction packs without using real money. Go to the downloadable content page to do so. With 130, you should be able to buy two of the most expensive ones.

Cool, did they ever explain that in game? I never remember seeing anything explaining that.

Mike M

Nick N
I just beat the game on hard difficulty. An amazing game in my opinion, a well worthy sequel to the excellent Dead Space 1 and 2. I kept using the plasma cutter throughout the whole game, and it was also the only weapon that i kept upgrading. I dont understand the complaints about this game being more of a shooter. To me, it didnt really feel any different from Dead Space 1 and 2. I felt that the horror elements in the game were intact, especially reading some of the logs
like the private who had to clean the toilets with his bare hands for a week, then got laughed at and cut the heads off 15 people. Crazy stuff!

I think the optional mission in Chapter 17 was the strongest. It was a creepy atmosphere, the enemy encounters weren't just spamming you with endless waves of cannon fodder, they spawned in front of you, and there weren't many of them. It also had a legitimate couple of jump scares, a few zero G segments, and the whole thing went out on a pants-shittingly terrifying climax. It was good stuff.

def sim

Plasma cutter being nerfed breaks my heart into a million pieces. Always my go-to weapon in all cases, I was feeling the hurt with it before I even reached a bench to build something else.

It's not just that. The gunplay has less of a focus on dismemberment and more on crowd controlling weapons because of the faster swarms of enemies. Accuracy isn't as big of a priority.

I suspect we should be able to turn the cutter into an absurdly effective weapon, anyway. Some of these upgrade options are nuts.

Qwell

I don't think so. Being able to acquire straight up DLC packs with in game currency is odd.
It's actually the same exact system that Mass Effect 3 uses in multiplayer, I think its great. The Mark V components are great, just wish I could find a list of all possible Mark V items.

Mike M

Nick N
I really need to replay as Carver. The madness thing was half the atmosphere in the first two DS games, its absence was sorely missed in 3.

def sim

The one co-op mission I played the other night had some nice ideas in it. Particularly the hearbeat effect. There should have been a way to access these missions without needing another player.

Cool, did they ever explain that in game? I never remember seeing anything explaining that.

What Fried said...

And also, being able to use those to purchase the DLC really does make the real money version very unnecessary. You get all the resources you could want between playing, the bots, and being able to buy the DLC with the in game currency.

Whole lot of outcry regarding the real money mtx for nothing.

LiK

The one co-op mission I played the other night had some nice ideas in it. Particularly the hearbeat effect. There should have been a way to access these missions without needing another player.

i linked two videos from a player on YT who showed them in the Spoilers thread. the reactions are pretty awesome. even the player said "I thought playing as the second player was lame until now"

Top Bottom