• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

RPG

What Fried said...

And also, being able to use those to purchase the DLC really does make the real money version very unnecessary. You get all the resources you could want between playing, the bots, and being able to buy the DLC with the in game currency.

Whole lot of outcry regarding the real money mtx for nothing.
As far as I recall seeing, the in game currency can only be used to buy the resource packs. The actual DLC suits, guns and bot upgrades required real currency.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
One thing I found particularly amusing is when Issac first meets the regenerator
- Ellie says "How are you going to kill it" and Issac replies "I'm not!". I guess Visceral took all those complaints about the forced run from the regenerator in the final level of DS2 to heart (for people who don't know, you only meet the regenerator once in DS2 and if you don't know that you can't actually kill this type of necromorph you can waste a lot of time and ammo trying to do so.)

What Fried said...

And also, being able to use those to purchase the DLC really does make the real money version very unnecessary. You get all the resources you could want between playing, the bots, and being able to buy the DLC with the in game currency.

Whole lot of outcry regarding the real money mtx for nothing.

Yeah, it's about as benign an implementation of purchasable DLC as possible - it's just skins/weapons and bot upgrades that don't add anything really necessary. You don't even need to buy them to save time since you can easily get all the resources you need in one playthrough by using the tools the game provides.

test_account

XP-39C²
I didnt know either that some of the in-game credit could actually be used to buy microtransactions.

Speaking of microtransactions, this didnt affect the game at all for me personally. I basically only used the plasma cutter through the whole game, only focusing on buying ammo in the store when needed, and upgrading my suit. At the end of the game, i had a lot of resources left, i never felt the need to buy anything through microtransaction.

I think the optional mission in Chapter 17 was the strongest. It was a creepy atmosphere, the enemy encounters weren't just spamming you with endless waves of cannon fodder, they spawned in front of you, and there weren't many of them. It also had a legitimate couple of jump scares, a few zero G segments, and the whole thing went out on a pants-shittingly terrifying climax. It was good stuff.
Is that the level where you get
the artifact manifest thingie? I like that level too :)

It's not just that. The gunplay has less of a focus on dismemberment and more on crowd controlling weapons because of the faster swarms of enemies. Accuracy isn't as big of a priority.

I suspect we should be able to turn the cutter into an absurdly effective weapon, anyway. Some of these upgrade options are nuts.
I used the plasma cutter through the whole game on hard difficulty and i found it to work pretty well :) I also only had the rotator as secondary fire (to shoot vertically or horizontally)I had to aim at the limbs as well (just like in Dead Space 1 and 2), otherwise the enemies can take too much damage, especially in the later levels, and i had my damage stats to the max. I guess that this playstyle might be more optional in Dead Space 3 though, concidering that there are a lot of weapons to choose from.

Moff

Plasma cutter being nerfed breaks my heart into a million pieces. Always my go-to weapon in all cases, I was feeling the hurt with it before I even reached a bench to build something else.

with the right upgrades, no weapon is better than the plasma cutter. but you need to give it not just damage upgrades but also clip and especially fire rate upgrades. its definitely still the strongest beast in the arsenal. playing on impossible right now and the cutter rips everything apart.

only in close combat I prefer the flamethrower, kills anything in under 1 second.

test_account

XP-39C²
Regardin the ending:
Did anyone else feel a bit "fear" when they heard Isaac's at the end? I mean, with Ellie already left the solar system, hes all alone, floating in space. That has to be a really scary situation. I really hope they make a Dead Space 4, i want to see where they take this senario further.

Lima

Regardin the ending:
Did anyone else feel a bit "fear" when they heard Isaac's at the end? I mean, with Ellie already left the solar system, hes all alone, floating in space. That has to be a really scary situation. I really hope they make a Dead Space 4, i want to see where they take this senario further.

I would rather have a new IP. The Dead Space series is done.

I think the optional mission in Chapter 17 was the strongest. It was a creepy atmosphere, the enemy encounters weren't just spamming you with endless waves of cannon fodder, they spawned in front of you, and there weren't many of them. It also had a legitimate couple of jump scares, a few zero G segments, and the whole thing went out on a pants-shittingly terrifying climax. It was good stuff.

I missed this one somehow. How do I access it?

heh @ all the
moon-related books in the book store

So yeah, on my second playthrough. Already. Game is fun and addictive. It's rare that I immediately start a new game the day of initial completion.

beat it.
for reference: I did not play co-op.

Overall I didn't like it as much as Dead Space 2, although some additions (like rolling) were nice.

Two things that I recall people complaining about that didn't really bother me too much:

-More shootbang/less horror.
For me I couldn't tell much of a difference (as far as action) between this and DS2. It had the usual sections of annoying waves of monsters, but it didn't seem that offensively action-y. Some areas had great lulls in action that allowed you to soak up the creepy atmosphere.

-Human enemies!
I don't mind human enemies in games like this (or also the upcoming ALIENS game) if the story has a good reason for them being a threat. Obviously the reason is normally the same
i.e. an opposing factor, made up of humans, is trying to stop you
. I got my fair share of necromorphs so I was fine with it. I also like that the necros will go after the enemy humans.

The whole section of jumping between derelict ships was neat, but it was probably the highlight for me. The opening had a nice grungy Blade Runner-like vibe, but the ice planet just didn't live up to the potential I felt it had. Areas like the Unitology Center and Elementary School in DS2 killed almost everything in DS3 to me. I just liked the metropolitan setting of The Sprawl more than the more isolated settings in DS1 and 3.

My two biggest disappointments:

-not enough new enemies.
DS2 brought a bunch of new, interesting necros into the mix. DS3 pretty much reused all of them and just added in a more adult version of the Pack, zombies with ice picks, and
those larger alien things in the Alien City
. If there were other new necros I must have missed them.

-the formula is just kind of getting old to me.
I'm not saying Visceral has to reinvent the wheel with (hopefully) next-gen Dead Space 4, but something needs to be done. I feel the same way with Assassins Creed. I still enjoy the series, but I'm starting to feel like I'm playing the same game each time.
DS1 to DS2 felt like a nice jump to me. In some ways it reminded me of the RE1 to RE2 jump. I guess in keeping with that analogy RE3 and DS3 are kind of similar. Both good games, but neither was the same kind of jump that their predecessor was.

Mike M

Nick N
Is that the level where you get
the artifact manifest thingie? I like that level too :)

I think so? I just grabbed the objective thingy and ran like hell. Then you have to hack a door to unlock it? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING? Good times, good times : )

with the right upgrades, no weapon is better than the plasma cutter. but you need to give it not just damage upgrades but also clip and especially fire rate upgrades. its definitely still the strongest beast in the arsenal. playing on impossible right now and the cutter rips everything apart.

only in close combat I prefer the flamethrower, kills anything in under 1 second.

I will acknowledge it's possible to upgrade it to something beastly, but I don't think anyone can objectively claim any one weapon or configuration to be the strongest in the game, it's going to vary by play style. I have a much easier time with enemies using something with big AOE than anything with precision, a plasma cutter that one shots everything and everyone means I have to aim better, and I kind of suck at that. Maxed out shotgun with ammo box makes my life much easier, two shots all but the biggest enemy max, drops them like a sack if rocks, just need to aim vaguely in the right direction. Hell, with the force gun, they basically just need to be on screen. Works for us aiming impaired saps : )

Doomrider

One thing I found particularly amusing is when Issac first meets the regenerator
- Ellie says "How are you going to kill it" and Issac replies "I'm not!". I guess Visceral took all those complaints about the forced run from the regenerator in the final level of DS2 to heart (for people who don't know, you only meet the regenerator once in DS2 and if you don't know that you can't actually kill this type of necromorph you can waste a lot of time and ammo trying to do so.)

I was so ready to annihilate the bastard using the ship's thrusters. I was disappointed it didn't work.

So yeah, on my second playthrough. Already. Game is fun and addictive. It's rare that I immediately start a new game the day of initial completion.

I'm surprised you (or anyone, for that matter) didn't feel burned-out by the last few chapters. It's really tiring and not fun. I don't see myself replaying this in some time.

test_account

XP-39C²
I would rather have a new IP. The Dead Space series is done.
I wouldnt mind if they had wrapped up the serie in Dead Space 3, that Ellie managed to save Isaac and Carver at the end. I think that would have been a very good ending. But i hope for a Dead Space 4 because i want to get a more happy ending (hopefully) :)

I think so? I just grabbed the objective thingy and ran like hell. Then you have to hack a door to unlock it? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING? Good times, good times : )
Hehe yeah, opening that door could be a bit stressfull indeed :)

nel e nel

Cool, did they ever explain that in game? I never remember seeing anything explaining that.

Not really, but it's in the price listing of those items, just below how many MS points they cost.

I don't think anyone can objectively claim any one weapon or configuration to be the strongest in the game, it's going to vary by play style. I have a much easier time with enemies using something with big AOE than anything with precision, a plasma cutter that one shots everything and everyone means I have to aim better, and I kind of suck at that. Maxed out shotgun with ammo box makes my life much easier, two shots all but the biggest enemy max, drops them like a sack if rocks, just need to aim vaguely in the right direction. Hell, with the force gun, they basically just need to be on screen. Works for us aiming impaired saps : )

Protip: Evangalizer shotgun with Negotiator line gun. Knock 'em down and finish them off.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm. Made it to chapter 14 or so, and while the planet definitely has pacing issues, I at least got a bit more invested now that you're doing different things on the planet instead of just walking through it like the Ishimura or the space station.

But that enemy on chapters 9, and 10/11 was really quite annoying. Twice I got run into a wall on chapter 11 and just got charged into one of the walls until I died with no chance to stasis it. I figured out that he charges like that if you get a certain distance away, but in such an enclosed spaces, it seemed obvious to back up from him at the time. >_>

Also, the save system is not good. I realize that it's due to the co-op drop in drop out feature and segmenting the levels, but I finished chapter...12, I think? The one where
you go into the stomach of the giant 'morph made it out against the black/upgraded thin guys,
and went back up the elevator. After the cutscene, I carried on until I saw the icon for saving progress, then hit save and quit. When I turned the game back on, my inventory was saved, sure, but I also had to redo the whole previous section again.

And Carver keeps disappearing at what seem like key points for him to kind of be around. Really kind of jarring seeing him pop back in after being mysteriously absent for an hour or so. Gonna have to test the differences in co-op, I guess.

It's just things like that that add up to my ambivalence toward this compared to loving DS1 and 2. Finally getting more of the older DS weapons is offsetting that, though. Hooray for the Javelin Gun.

The whole section of jumping between derelict ships was neat, but it was probably the highlight for me. The opening had a nice grungy Blade Runner-like vibe, but the ice planet just didn't live up to the potential I felt it had. Areas like the Unitology Center and Elementary School in DS2 killed almost everything in DS3 to me. I just liked the metropolitan setting of The Sprawl more than the more isolated settings in DS1 and 3.

Agreed completely. I loved the Blade Runner vibe in the opening of this game, the abandoned flotilla was fantastic, but then Tau Volantis just seemed like it would be utterly ripe for atmosphere that you'd think of when you think of something like The Thing, and plenty of settings there were very good, but I was hoping for a colder, creepier tone. The art direction was there, the detail was there, but it didn't have much in the way of creative elements to really do the justice to the atmosphere that it deserved. The elementary school on the Sprawl is exactly what I mean by that; the art direction and detail were there, but scary/creepy things actually happened to go along with it. This game had its moments, but it didn't go out of its way to flex its horror muscles in the ways that the first two games at least had a couple of moments of.

Still, it's an utterly fantastic game and more or less just as good as the first two IMO, if not better in some ways. But the ice moon did let me down a hair compared to how I imagined it was going to be. It just needed to be quieter. The game was too loud, too often. I don't know how many times I had it at a modest volume and had the sound, music, and speech set just right, but then along would come a moment where either the music or sound or both were just jarringly loud. It wouldn't have been much of an issue if I weren't living in an apartment for the time being, but there was definitely an imbalance in volume. Or it could have been my soundbar.

LiK

just noticed some major inconsistencies with one thing about the game.

the icy planet is cold right? we learned that when he arrived. how come some specific characters are fine without a suit or even a hood on?

ah man, i am totally annoyed with that once i noticed it...

Mike M

Nick N
just noticed some major inconsistencies with one thing about the game.

the icy planet is cold right? we learned that when he arrived. how come some specific characters are fine without a suit or even a hood on?

ah man, i am totally annoyed with that once i noticed it...

Also, kind of remarkable that everything is relatively functional and not buried under ice and snow after 200 years

mujun

Finished it.

I went from playing it on normal, really loving the atmosphere (music, sound, lighting, etc) and enjoying the gameplay well enough to playing it on easy and really disliking the encounter design.

Happened right when you start having to
collect the pieces of Rosetta
. There seemed to be regular encounters where they literally just threw 7+ enemies at you almost at once and you had no chance to finesse your way out of it. I killed a lot of fun that I was having with the game and made me wonder what the hell made the devs think it was a good idea to design the game that way.

Overall I still enjoyed the game but the last third definitely soured my overall experience.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Finished it.

I went from playing it on normal, really loving the atmosphere (music, sound, lighting, etc) and enjoying the gameplay well enough to playing it on easy and really disliking the encounter design.

Happened right when you start having to
collect the pieces of Rosetta
. There seemed to be regular encounters where they literally just threw 7+ enemies at you almost at once and you had no chance to finesse your way out of it. I killed a lot of fun that I was having with the game and made me wonder what the hell made the devs think it was a good idea to design the game that way.

Overall I still enjoyed the game but the last third definitely soured my overall experience.

Dead Space 2 did this in spots. When i played it on normal it got really intense and difficult in parts.

jrcbandit

With the UK sales of DS3 worse than DS2, I hope this isn't a general indication of lesser sales worldwide, ie, no chance of a Dead Space game on Durango and PS4. All the EA tampering and no help in sales? At the very least new PR guys are needed because EA did a horrible job - the pc port seemed more than just the bare minimum suggested by PR talk, micro transactions was poorly worded and really soured gamers (the meaningful "microtransactions" could be bought with in game currency instead of real world cash), and the demo/previews/trailers did a horrible job portraying the game as a Dead Space game to the people who bought the first 2 games ;p. At the very least there should have been a horror trailer similar to twinkle little star in addition to the dude bro trailers.

Anyway, I started a new game plus run on insane. Any weapons that I should try as a must have? I find it hard to put down my chain gun/shotgun with stasis, and I also enjoy my Ds2 javelin gun, ie, with explosive secondary using safety.

LiK

omg, watching gameplay of the final level and the doors
with the Alien sounds will give you the answers in the subtitles. i played without subs so i actually had to listen to them.
kinda a bummer but a cheat sheet if you want it.

Mike M

Nick N
omg, watching gameplay of the final level and the doors
with the Alien sounds will give you the answers in the subtitles. i played without subs so i actually had to listen to them.
kinda a bummer but a cheat sheet if you want it.
There's also at least two of the characters with a third sometimes illegible character painted on the floor or wall at all instances.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I really enjoy Tom Bissell's game reviews over at Grantland. Now he's written one on Dead Space 3 that reminds me of this place a lot...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...-scientology-survival-horror-video-games-meet

In the way that this OT simultaneously blows hot and cold? :) In any case, thanks for the link, I love Bissell's writing. I think he's wrong about the microtransactions though - you never need to use them unless you want to save yourself some time or give yourself a laugh (spoilers for the bot personality upgrade) (as opposed to needing to buying something to actually get yourself through the game, e.g., Diablo III's Auction House (at least prior to all the re=tuning of Diablo III they've done since it came out - I haven't bothered to check since the way you were essentially forced to use the AH when the game was released to progress on higher difficulties really ticked me off.)).

I also agree with Bissell about how annoying complaints about fetch quests are. Video game characters are nearly always going someplace to do something - it's just a matter of how smoothly the game narrative conceals this basic fact. DS3 does it rather well (better than the first game, actually).

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Mostly the capacity upgrade and the personality one.

Yeah but neither of those are needed at all. So complaining about there being options to improve them isnt really fair.
So Visceral put an option in the game to make some easy money.
Kinda like getting mad at the cashier taking your order at McDonalds when they ask you if you want to super size it. Don't need to, but the option is there.

foxdvd

question about pure survival mode. After beating the game I started up this mode. When I got to my first bench it said I had unlocked all the preorder weapons, but none of them were in my safe like my first run. I thought this might have to do with the fact I already used the guns. But now that I am at my first kiosk, it said I had unlocked all the suits from before, along with the legendary suit...but there are no suits available in the kiosk...none...is this part of pure survival or is my game glitched?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
question about pure survival mode. After beating the game I started up this mode. When I got to my first bench it said I had unlocked all the preorder weapons, but none of them were in my safe like my first run. I thought this might have to do with the fact I already used the guns. But now that I am at my first kiosk, it said I had unlocked all the suits from before, along with the legendary suit...but there are no suits available in the kiosk...none...is this part of pure survival or is my game glitched?

I think in survival mode you can only make weapons from blueprints you find. So no gifts guns from preorder and I'm guessing the same goes for the suits.

Manus

Up to chapter 10 and just not having fun with the game. Loved the first two games, but this one is just rubbing me the wrong way. I'm glad I Gamefly'd this instead going with my gut and buying the game. Just some things I don't like in the game.

Universal ammo
Same three types of necromorphs
Regeneraters everywhere
Can only carry two guns
The gun upgrade system
The boring same looking environments
Character models look worse
Pointless sidequests
I miss my nodes!

I really enjoy Tom Bissell's game reviews over at Grantland. Now he's written one on Dead Space 3 that reminds me of this place a lot...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...-scientology-survival-horror-video-games-meet

Oh my God. That was a fantastic review. How have I never read this man's work before?

With the UK sales of DS3 worse than DS2, I hope this isn't a general indication of lesser sales worldwide, ie, no chance of a Dead Space game on Durango and PS4. All the EA tampering and no help in sales? At the very least new PR guys are needed because EA did a horrible job - the pc port seemed more than just the bare minimum suggested by PR talk, micro transactions was poorly worded and really soured gamers (the meaningful "microtransactions" could be bought with in game currency instead of real world cash), and the demo/previews/trailers did a horrible job portraying the game as a Dead Space game to the people who bought the first 2 games ;p. At the very least there should have been a horror trailer similar to twinkle little star in addition to the dude bro trailers.
ibn8T02ri3A04m.gif

If we don't get more Dead Space, I will be very angry.

I just loaded the game up on Xbox and got a patch.

It didn't take away my infinite ammo. It may have removed the ability to get the glitch in the first place though.

Danny-Boy

Anyone know how to zoom out the camera when aiming? Going from 3rd person view to a zoomed in over the shoulder view when aiming is driving me nuts.

Manus

Oh, no they're not. They're at the end one one chapter and the start of the next, and then never seen again save one optional mission.

WhatthefuckamIreading.jpg

Really cuz, I've seen them in 3 chapters so far. Especially the chapter where
the ship is about to take off and your escaping the flames from the ship. I had multiple ones chasing me in different rooms.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
the ship is about to take off and your escaping the flames from the ship. I had multiple ones chasing me in different rooms.

You are right. They are in two places in the entire game. Still doesn't qualify as "everywhere".
And the gun crafting gets really good once you find something that clicks for you. Not saying you will like it more than carrying more than 2 guns but the gun crafting system actually lets you combine several of the guns from the precious games. For instance I have a javelin gun with a ripper attached on the bottom. It's pretty awesome.

But hey if the game isn't clicking then it isn't clicking.

Mike M

Nick N
Oh yeah. That's still the next chapter after their first appearance though. I think. I don't even notice chapter changes half the time, so it may well be the one after.

RoKKeR

If we don't get more Dead Space, I will be very angry.

Agreed.

And another appropriate .gif. Me and my buddy have already put 30+ hours into the game and feel like we have so much more to do. The more I play, the more I'm enjoying it.

I will be very sad if Dead Space does not return.

I'm only on chapter six. Real life and then a goddamn blizzard from hell stole all the time I put aside to play this last weeks. I've played it a lot today, a lot of which was lost progress (partially my own fault for going from a Wii U game to a 360 pad on PC and forgetting that the B button is in a different place) partially the games fault for not giving you save points in side missions.

I'm still really enjoying it. Getting my shit together more. I've only rolled once, by accident! But I think I'm going to do that more. These necros like to gang bang me. Also, I love
running from the regenerators

And yeah, so far so Dead Spacey. You guys mightn't be getting a bonus for review scores, but you get a bonus from me.

So, codecow, please share this "Thanks for giving me a great night of intense horror action gaming to make up for finding out Colonial Marines is a big pile of shit" bonus with the team.

ironcreed

Banned
Just finished it up. The last few chapters
where you are activating the machine kind of drug on a bit, the story felt rushed in the end and the moon was a pretty anti-climactic boss. Still, I was pretty satisfied on the whole. Not sure I see how Isaac is still alive, but of course it's just a game and I am kind of glad he is.

Overall, I give it an 8.0 for outstanding production value and good old Dead Space gameplay, despite being more on the action side. It's a great game for what it is, but just not as great as 1 & 2 for me.

Overall I just don't think DS3 lives up to DS2's greatness

Mostly cuz the encounter design feels off. In DS2 outside of a few scenarios I generally felt that I was in control of the situation and could strategically dismember my enemies. Here a lot of the time it didn't seem that way because of the enemy types + the arena you're in. Really made it feel that if you didn't use a more shootbang weapon you were damn near SOL.

Also there was nothing in DS3 as memorable as the nursery or the first time you encounter stalkers in DS2.

Still a really good game but after the previous entries awesomeness I expected more.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I like how the pre-order suits look different if you're wearing them as Carver. That's true for all the suits, but I haven't purchased the DLC ones yet. My favorite suit is probably Carver's Special Forces one (has his name on the back, which is a nice touch) and his version of the Witness and First Contact suits. Angry red!

I also like the comparison between the one modern suit (from the Sprawl, I think) and the older ones. The former are sleek, but don't look substantial enough and the latter remind me of crustaceans.

hteng

Banned
haven't finished it, but it gets very repetitive, especially the optional missions, the environments are copy pasta lol, you basically travel a big ass roundabout and collect loot. It doesn't add much to the whole experience, i see it purely as a farming quest.

The first half of the game is very good, it has that dead space 1 feel when you explore the wreckage ships but i really hate the monster closets, its like you KNOW shits coming when you enter a big square room, it's predictable. In dead space 1, they made the corridors scary with visual cues, flash backs, even the tenticle monsters coming out to grab you, but its like the safest place in this game.

Also, Isaac's probably the unluckiest guy in the whole world, walking through a bridge? BAM bridge breaks down, walking to a cliff? BAM cliff collapse! trying to get onto elevator? woops its broken! even climbing ladders, BAM! ladder snaps, oh thats nothing you just have to traverse through monster filled corridors to get up instead of fixing the damn ladder. lol.

and every single time Isaac is reunited with the party, he gets separated immediately after the next segment.

Top Bottom