• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

RoKKeR

I like how the pre-order suits look different if you're wearing them as Carver. That's true for all the suits, but I haven't purchased the DLC ones yet. My favorite suit is probably Carver's Special Forces one (has his name on the back, which is a nice touch) and his version of the Witness and First Contact suits. Angry red!

I also like the comparison between the one modern suit (from the Sprawl, I think) and the older ones. The former are sleek, but don't look substantial enough and the latter remind me of crustaceans.
Yeah, I really want to go through and play as Carver to see what all of his suits look right. My favorite type of suit is the "Splinter Cell" one. (three lights on the helmet) There's just something really cool looking about it, and the three dots of light it casts in dark areas are neat.

I threw on the Dead Space legends suit and it just feels so...out of place. It fit in the setting of the Ishimura, but now that everything feels heavier and more dangerous it definitely looked odd.

ibn8T02ri3A04m.gif

If we don't get more Dead Space, I will be very angry.

For reals. Even "bad" Dead Space is pretty awesome as far as I'm concerned, I don't know where Visceral can go next with the series but I'd love to see them try and tackle the challenge, those guys are pretty dang good at this.

I've only rolled once, by accident!

I'm on chapter 12, and the only times I've rolled is when running and accidentally letting off the bumper a bit and it registers as a double tap. Every time it happens, for a split second I think it's a scripted sequence where my character is tripping or something.

Plissken

question about pure survival mode. After beating the game I started up this mode. When I got to my first bench it said I had unlocked all the preorder weapons, but none of them were in my safe like my first run. I thought this might have to do with the fact I already used the guns. But now that I am at my first kiosk, it said I had unlocked all the suits from before, along with the legendary suit...but there are no suits available in the kiosk...none...is this part of pure survival or is my game glitched?

By first bench, do you mean the one in Chapter 2? I think that one is just there so you can craft ammo/med packs. When I got to the bench on the Roanoke in my Pure Survival run (the first bench you normally get to) I had all my pre-order weapons available, and all my suits were there in the kiosk.

foxdvd

By first bench, do you mean the one in Chapter 2? I think that one is just there so you can craft ammo/med packs. When I got to the bench on the Roanoke in my Pure Survival run (the first bench you normally get to) I had all my pre-order weapons available, and all my suits were there in the kiosk.

that is what I was afraid of...I am on chapter 7 now...and no suits and no weapons...even though it said I had unlocked them the first time I got to each bench/kiosk on my survival run..

Can I get rid of the probe gun after I use it the one time? I want my other weapon back, but don't want to end up needing the probe gun and not have it on me.

I went into the thing in chapter 12 and probed the synapses, and now I'm back out of the creature

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can I get rid of the probe gun after I use it the one time? I want my other weapon back, but don't want to end up needing the probe gun and not have it on me.

I went into the thing in chapter 12 and probed the synapses, and now I'm back out of the creature

Yeah, you can ditch it.

RoKKeR

Only need it once.

Well, you can continue to shoot things with it.

But it's not needed again.

Well, I could hold onto it and shoot things with it. But it's super weak compared to my other guns. (acid smg/shotgun and stasis linegun/force knockback)

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
For reals. Even "bad" Dead Space is pretty awesome as far as I'm concerned, I don't know where Visceral can go next with the series but I'd love to see them try and tackle the challenge, those guys are pretty dang good at this.

Yep. I even have the movies on blu-ray. It would be incredibly disappointing to see the series fade away. I don't think that's going to happen, though.

Regardless of what they're doing (even Army of Two), I look forward to anything Visceral puts out in the future. It would be nice to have them work on a new IP and give the art team a chance to branch out from necromorphs and spaceships. Dante's Inferno might have had average gameplay, but the enemy and level design was fantastic. Curious to see what they'd be able to do with the next cycle of consoles at their disposal.

george_us

I'm at Chapter 11 and I've warmed up to the game a lot.

Pros:
-Ice planet setting is pretty damn awesome so far. Still not as scary as past games but fairly unsettling
-The human enemies are kind of fun to fight and provide some diversity. I actually wish I'd run into more scenarios where it's me vs. humans vs. Necros
-Weapon crafting is fucking awesome and is the main thing that's keeping me playing
-I like the idea of side missions

Cons:
-I mentally checked out of the story around Chapter 5 and, outside of an audio message explaining out the
Feeders were made
nothing else has captured my interest. Shame since I really enjoyed the previous games' stories.
-Enemy encounters are poorly designed and insanely repetitive. Literally every encounter consists of throwing waves after waves of Necromorphs at you with little thought or reason. Thankfully I enjoy using my Frankenstein weaponry to mow them all down
- Side missions are all repetitive outside of the very first one

So far I'd bump this game up from a 6 to a 7.

with the right upgrades, no weapon is better than the plasma cutter. but you need to give it not just damage upgrades but also clip and especially fire rate upgrades. its definitely still the strongest beast in the arsenal. playing on impossible right now and the cutter rips everything apart.

only in close combat I prefer the flamethrower, kills anything in under 1 second.

Yes think its one of the few weapons that can be nearly maxed out and yet have 20 shots.
Only issue is the electricly/acid perk will often trigger the "shooting" stomach and make them turn into the 3 tentacle badguys ugh.

Shouta

Yes think its one of the few weapons that can be nearly maxed out and yet have 20 shots.
Only issue is the electricly/acid perk will often trigger the "shooting" stomach and make them turn into the 3 tentacle badguys ugh.

The other guns are far more functional overall compared to the Plasma cutter, if you ask me. The Militia gun's various upgrades with the rocket launcher and safety guard/Flame damage basically make most things trivial. If you can't keep them all at bay, a dual Saw setup with flame damage and stasis amplifier basically stops everything short of that one enemy type near the end of the game.

The other guns are far more functional overall compared to the Plasma cutter, if you ask me. The Militia gun's various upgrades with the rocket launcher and safety guard/Flame damage basically make most things trivial. If you can't keep them all at bay, a dual Saw setup with flame damage and stasis amplifier basically stops everything short of that one enemy type near the end of the game.

Thanks a lot for weapon tips as up to chapter 15 I have died not more than 5 times but on chapter 15
I am getting ambushed quite a lot and these guys with axes are ridicilously fast

When does this game go all dudebro? So far I'm up to chapter 5 and aside from a few minutes near the start, it feels like the slow-paced action-horror game the first one was. Great atmosphere, I especially loved floating around the exterior of the Greely for like 10 minutes, just taking it in.

Mike M

Nick N
When does this game go all dudebro? So far I'm up to chapter 5 and aside from a few minutes near the start, it feels like the slow-paced action-horror game the first one was. Great atmosphere, I especially loved floating around the exterior of the Greely for like 10 minutes, just taking it in.

Chapter 10. Chapter 18 is pretty terrible as well

LiK

Never too much dudebro in solo. It's fairly dudebro in coop but turns out to have some of the best moments if you play as Carver.

x-Lundz-x

Finished this last night. Overall an amazing game, with petty lame and forgettable characters and a decent story. It's definitely made the move to a more action oriented survival horror but it was not nearly as bad as some people made it out to be.

The last boss, so much better than DS2. I literally wanted to roundhouse kick my TV during the DS2 boss but this was so much better and easier.

My opinion is the game gets a about an 8/10. If the acting and characters would have been better it would have been a little bit better experience.

Now time for my co-op run with my buddy.

Mike M

Nick N
While the quality dips, I wouldn't call those dudebro by any stretch of the imagination.
Depends on what the definition of "dudebro" is. Chapter 18 is nothing but funneling you back and forth between the same encounter points while the game just throws countless waves of enemies. It was fucking terrible.

Ricker

I dont get the co-op in this game sometimes...I am in chapter 10 and I come in front of a door that says co-op on it,and I get a in game message that this is a co-op mission only and I have to invite a friend...I invite one but there is this checkpoint nonsense,so he has to wait till I reach one,then we come back in front of said door and now it says it's locked...wtf?

Trez

Neo Member
I don't know if there is some co-op thread/list that already exists, but if anyone is interested in doing a co-op game pm me!

EDIT: It says so in the OT, added myself in the list

When does weapon crafting become worth it. I'm on ch7 and haven't gotten any parts that seem better than the dlc guns I got with the limited edition.

Mike M

Nick N
When does weapon crafting become worth it. I'm on ch7 and haven't gotten any parts that seem better than the dlc guns I got with the limited edition.
With the limited edition, it's a while before anything becomes a better option than the Evangelizer. I still use the shotgun of that one regularly, currently have it paired with a force gun to buy time and compensate for the slower firing speed of the shotgun.

My other weapon is a rocket launcher with upgraded clip and firing speed with an ammo box on it. It's pretty ridiculous, but I haven't found an upper weapon to complement it yet.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
My other weapon is a rocket launcher with upgraded clip and firing speed with an ammo box on it. It's pretty ridiculous, but I haven't found an upper weapon to complement it yet.

I added an electrified javelin gun maxed for speed. Fun combo. I'm trying to think about what to build for my hardcore run (I don't even know if I should try it, since it sounds like it'll be infuriating - still what a challenge). Rocket launcher is powerful, but I've ended up killing myself at least five times via splash damage by aiming at things that are too close to me (or when my co-op partner gets in the way).

Mike M

Nick N
I added an electrified javelin gun maxed for speed. Fun combo. I'm trying to think about what to build for my hardcore run (I don't even know if I should try it, since it sounds like it'll be infuriating - still what a challenge). Rocket launcher is powerful, but I've ended up killing myself at least five times via splash damage by aiming at things that are too close to me (or when my co-op partner gets in the way).

Dude, safety guard. I don't think any other Attachment 1 component is anywhere near as useful.

Anyone know if there's a difference in damage output augmentation for flame, electric, and acid ammo? Or is it strictly cosmetic? I think the electric charge has a slight stunning effect, but it's pretty weak.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Dude, safety guard. I don't think any other Attachment 1 component is anywhere near as useful.

Anyone know if there's a difference in damage output augmentation for flame, electric, and acid ammo? Or is it strictly cosmetic? I think the electric charge has a slight stunning effect, but it's pretty weak.

I'd added the stasis attachment since I needed it to slow down those faster necros. Does safety guard prevent all splash damage, or only reduce it? I was using acid, but electric seem to slow them down even more. My reflexes are not the best so I was trying to slow things down enough to target limbs accurately.

Mike M

Nick N
I'd added the stasis attachment since I needed it to slow down those faster necros. Does safety guard prevent all splash damage, or only reduce it?

Completely nullifies it, it doesn't even stagger you. Rocket launcher on bottom with ammo box + upper weapon of your choice with safety guard is fucking nuts.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I dont get the co-op in this game sometimes...I am in chapter 10 and I come in front of a door that says co-op on it,and I get a in game message that this is a co-op mission only and I have to invite a friend...I invite one but there is this checkpoint nonsense,so he has to wait till I reach one,then we come back in front of said door and now it says it's locked...wtf?

This has happened a few times for me. Restarting the checkpoint or leaving the area and coming back works to reset the co-op door so you can open it. This also works for those weird instances where an electrical battery that you need to move from one terminal to the next is locked in place for some reason.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Completely nullifies it, it doesn't even stagger you. Rocket launcher on bottom with ammo box + upper weapon of your choice with safety guard is fucking nuts.

Huh - will need to try it out. I need something where I will definitely not kill myself by mistake, but which also has enough power to take most things out in one or two blasts and slow down the faster necros so I can hit them. To think that I thought three saves were stingy in DS2. My hands will be sweating when I try hardcore in DS3 - one life to live, literally.

Mike M

Nick N
I played some co-op last night, and ran into multiple bugs. We couldn't open the co-op mission on the Brukalev (Or whatever the ship was called), so we went to go clear out the Terra Nova. We called the tram, and I got in, but he stayed outside and the door shut and wouldn't open again. We didn't have any way to proceed, so we had to restart the checkpoint and do that whole sequence over again (SO MUCH EASIER IN CO-OP). The key to Conning Tower didn't spawn, so we couldn't do that one (Unless single player side missions are locked out like Co-op missions are in SP? We didn't get any message about that though). Then when we got back out into space, the Brukalev (Or whatever!) was open again. That was actually pretty cool, playing as Carver is way more Dead Space-y than playing as Isaac.

Mike M

Nick N
The stasis attachment has to be the best one. It's like activating singularity in ME1.

Which stasis attachment? There's coating, amplifier, and support, and I haven't found any of them particularly useful. I tried stasis coating on the shotgun, and it didn't really do much except make the enemies slightly blue and not slow them down worth a damn. Rockets seemed to be slightly more stasis-y, but they're usually dead, so what's the point.

Is it a cumulative effect? If I slap it on a full auto rivet chaingun, will it be more effective as more bullets make contact?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Played the demo for five minutes and gave up on the series.

If your faith dwindles on ~300 seconds of gameplay...I don't think you were much of a fan to begin with.

Yeah, this is hilarious. You can literally shoot the rocket at the floor in front of you and be fine.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Which stasis attachment? There's coating, amplifier, and support, and I haven't found any of them particularly useful. I tried stasis coating on the shotgun, and it didn't really do much except make the enemies slightly blue and not slow them down worth a damn. Rockets seemed to be slightly more stasis-y, but they're usually dead, so what's the point.

Is it a cumulative effect? If I slap it on a full auto rivet chaingun, will it be more effective as more bullets make contact?

Stasis coating is great but having it on a slow fire rate weapon probably won't help much.

You nailed it. Put it on something with a high fire rate and you will rarely use your normal stasis powers

def sim

I think it's cumulative. My buddy has an automatic weapon that slowed down everything to a crawl after some sustained fire. Combined with regular stasis abilities, it seems to be the best way to crowd control. I'm not sure which since I've been largely sticking with a modified enervator and evangelizer.

My biggest gripe with the game so far is the save system, worked my way through half of a optional mission and come back the next day having to start it from the beginning ugh

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
My biggest gripe with the game so far is the save system, worked my way through half of a optional mission and come back the next day having to start it from the beginning ugh

Yup you gotta watch for the progress saving icon man or its rewind time.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Played the demo for five minutes and gave up on the series.
I remember playing the demo for the original Dead Space and thought to myself "wow, this is kind of crap" and for some reason, I bought the full game. I went from thinking "crap" to "awesome". I haven't played the demo for DS3, but if it's anything like the demo for DS1, I would not go by it.

I've had a lot of success with stasis coating combined with my ripper gun. Helps keep them nice and slow as I take them apart and is great for ammo conservation (although hey, I've rarely found that to be an issue). I am concerned it might not stand up against some of the swarms you face later in the game, but against strong single foes I am basically immortal.

Plissken

What is in the demo, anyway?

It's a heavily modified version of events from when you
crash on the planet to fighting the drill. You basically go from the ship, through a bit of the snow, to the first crab/spider necro boss, to the drill, and then it ends as you encounter the Unitologists and the skyscraper necro boss

As for stasis weapons, my favorite combo was a chain rivet gun top with a shotgun bottom (Basically the Pitch Black 392 but swap the force gun for a shotgun). I mowed down most things before they got to me, and if they did get to me, they were slowed and my shotgun finished them off.

Top Bottom