• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

CrankyJay

Banned
So...having played and loved this game, I was flicking thru channels last night and saw Event Horizon. I've never seen this movie before.

Dead Space has surely used this movie as source material, right?

Replicant

CrankyJay said:
So...having played and loved this game, I was flicking thru channels last night and saw Event Horizon. I've never seen this movie before.

Yes. Later in the game you'll encounter an object called "Gravity tethers". This is pretty much the same design as the one shown in Event Horizon. Although the function of the object differs in each story.

Fady K

CrankyJay said:

I thought the same thing - they seem to be VERY similar - in a good way of course. Did you like the film?

Random thoughts:

1) Event Horizon is a great movie.
2) Dead Space is one of the best, if not THE best games of this generation.
3) It really could be named System Shock 3, they are basically the same games and it makes SS2 proud.
4) Pulse Rifle is the most underrated weapon in history of videogames. Fully upgraded it is a Death Messenger that pretty much deals with each and every kind of enemy in this game, even Brutes. I loved it and near the end of the game (last 3 chapters) it was my main weapon, I rarely even switched back to Plasma Cutter. I cannot imagine surviving Barracks ambush on USS Valor without Pulse Rifle.
5) DS's graphics on a high-end PC are mind-blowing. They nailed everything with this game: textures, lighting, atmosphere, polycounts, sound etc. Technically it is a flawless game.
6) Once again: if you are even remotely interested in System Shock series, you have to get Dead Space.

Baron

Anyone know if the digital download version of Dead Space on PSN works with the disc version's save files? I want to double dip.

Clydefrog

This game keeps crashing on my PC. It crashes every time I would open a new main menu selection like "controls" or "visuals" but after clicking it once, and crashing, it would work the second time. I finally got everything set up and now it crashes EVERY single time after the intro; I try to leave the ship to get onto the USS Ishimura and, boom, crash to desktop. Ugh. Help?

I have a GTX 570, i5-2500k, and 8 GB of ram. I'm not worried about my computer not being able to handle this game.

Meteorain

Started this game a month or so ago. Only just started Chapter 3. The game is far too intimidating to play more than 30min stints for me! I literally walk everywhere aiming down sight!

Truly though, the game generates one of the best atmospheres I've seen. It's genuinely absorbing and thoroughly exhilarating when you survive the potential rape fests the monsters are trying to inflict on you.

malfcn

One of my first 1000 games on Xbox and it's back compat now! Can't wait for this to go free tonight/tomorrow. And the Elite suit is available to download again!

Sorry to bump, there going to be new OTs for these "re-releases" or just LTTPs?

Draft

Random thoughts:

1) Event Horizon is a great movie.
2) Dead Space is one of the best, if not THE best games of this generation.
3) It really could be named System Shock 3, they are basically the same games and it makes SS2 proud.
4) Pulse Rifle is the most underrated weapon in history of videogames. Fully upgraded it is a Death Messenger that pretty much deals with each and every kind of enemy in this game, even Brutes. I loved it and near the end of the game (last 3 chapters) it was my main weapon, I rarely even switched back to Plasma Cutter. I cannot imagine surviving Barracks ambush on USS Valor without Pulse Rifle.
5) DS's graphics on a high-end PC are mind-blowing. They nailed everything with this game: textures, lighting, atmosphere, polycounts, sound etc. Technically it is a flawless game.
6) Once again: if you are even remotely interested in System Shock series, you have to get Dead Space.
I think Dark Souls turned out to be the best game of the Xbox 360 generation, but Dead Space is my favorite.

Many years later...

If it wasn't for BioShock, Dead Space would have been my personal game of the year in 2008 (remember PS3 owners got the shoddy BioShock port a year later in 08)

Replaying it on X1 back compat...just whoa. What an awesome game, the sound design, level design, aesthetics, even the UI is just top notch stuff. Amazing game and glad I got the plat for it on PS3.

Top Bottom