• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

crispyben

I've owned Dead Space (PS3) for over two years, started it twice then chickened out in the first chapter... Since I read the sound design was amazing, I decided to break in my Astro A30s/MixAmp 5.8 combo with it (and a walkthrough). I'm on chapter 4 and got the "Don't Get Cocky Kid" trophy on my first successful attempt with 51% :D That goes to show how random that trophy/achievement is!

totowhoa

Banned
Just finally picked this up for the first time for 6 bucks on steam. Just finished chapter one. So far it's a really good mix of action and creepy. Already died once.. ran out of ammo for quite some time early on at one point and tried to punch my way to freedom through four monsters :lol Really enjoying the game a lot. Might look into checking out the Wii spin off or whatever soon.

TenshiOni said:
Hell yeah! Finally got that 1000/1000!

Beat Impossible with only the Plasma Cutter; it was such a rush! :D

Fucking love this game. That makes it the fourth time I've beaten it. <3

I actually think the Plasma Cutter is the best weapon in the game. It does a very respectable amount of damage for a starting weapon, there's never a situation in which it's not useful, and if you use it exclusively, you never have to worry about running out of ammo (since ammo has a higher chance of dropping if you're carrying the corresponding gun, ditching all other guns means that pretty much every ammo drop is for the Plasma Cutter). I actually got the achievement for beating the game with the Plasma Cutter on my very first playthrough (on Normal). I didn't start with that achievement in mind, but I just never saw any reason to use anything else.

Ben2749 said:
I actually think the Plasma Cutter is the best weapon in the game. It does a very respectable amount of damage for a starting weapon, there's never a situation in which it's not useful, and if you use it exclusively, you never have to worry about running out of ammo (since ammo has a higher chance of dropping if you're carrying the corresponding gun, ditching all other guns means that pretty much every ammo drop is for the Plasma Cutter). I actually got the achievement for beating the game with the Plasma Cutter on my very first playthrough (on Normal). I didn't start with that achievement in mind, but I just never saw any reason to use anything else.

I actually got the "One Gun" and "Epic Tier 3 Engineer" trophies on the same playthrough. I was dreading having to do it that way, but it was already my third time through and I couldn't stomach playing a fourth as great as the game is.

Point is, I think this is a design flaw, actually. I was pretty disappointed to find out I wouldn't be required to make use of all the weapons. It should be so that, if you're playing the "right way," you'll have to make proper use of all the weapons at your disposal. That way you're "forced" into seeing the whole package the game has to offer (which is the basic idea behind at lot of these trophies/achievements: they push us in directions we wouldn't necessarily go on our own).

It might sound like I'm saying I want a more scripted experience, but I just mean it's a shame that when tackling the game at it's hardest, I can use the same gun the whole time and get away with it. The plasma cutter should be too weak a weapon by the third or fourth level, for instance, and we should then be pushed into the direction of the flame weapon, and that's our primary for the next one or two levels, then the line cutter, etc.

valeo

Got this on PC recently - it's a good game but godamn my wrist hurts from turning the mouse. I can't play it for more than 30 mins at a time because of this - really annoying. I turned the mouse sensitivity up to max as well.

Duki

Banned
valeo said:
Got this on PC recently - it's a good game but godamn my wrist hurts from turning the mouse. I can't play it for more than 30 mins at a time because of this - really annoying. I turned the mouse sensitivity up to max as well.
have you turned off vsync

MoFuzz

valeo said:
Gamepad or bust for this game. As mentioned, in-game vsync also limits the framerate to 30fps, turn that shit off pronto and force it through D3D Overrider instead for 60 FPS goodness.

Replicant said:
How did you guys use plasma cutter only and not running out of ammo?
Look a few posts up.

Ben2749 said:
I actually think the Plasma Cutter is the best weapon in the game. It does a very respectable amount of damage for a starting weapon, there's never a situation in which it's not useful, and if you use it exclusively, you never have to worry about running out of ammo (since ammo has a higher chance of dropping if you're carrying the corresponding gun, ditching all other guns means that pretty much every ammo drop is for the Plasma Cutter).

valeo

Duki said:
have you turned off vsync

Yep

MoFuzz said:
Gamepad or bust for this game. As mentioned, in-game vsync also limits the framerate to 30fps, turn that shit off pronto and force it through D3D Overrider instead for 60 FPS goodness.

Can't justify buying a wired gamepad just for this, really - will have to put up with the RSI inducing turns

valeo said:
Yep

Can't justify buying a wired gamepad just for this, really - will have to put up with the RSI inducing turns

PS3 controller works well with MotioninJoy. If you play only on PC, you should really invest in a controller anyway.

valeo

Grimm Fandango said:
PS3 controller works well with MotioninJoy. If you play only on PC, you should really invest in a controller anyway.

Why should a PC gamer need to invest in a controller? It's like saying console gamers really need a keyboard. Kind of annoying, but I guess that's the reality these days.

Will probably see if I can borrow my brothers until I finish Dead Space and avoid any other crappy console port in the future..

valeo said:
Why should a PC gamer need to invest in a controller? It's like saying console gamers really need a keyboard. Kind of annoying, but I guess that's the reality these days.

Will probably see if I can borrow my brothers until I finish Dead Space and avoid any other crappy console port in the future..

Play Super Meat Boy on the PC with the keyboard and get back at me.

Massa

valeo said:

Not all PC games are adapted for KB/M. Some don't even support it.

It's part of the nature of the platform, there's no standard method for controlling games set by a hardware or software vendor. It's up to game designers to decide what's best, and several have decided on a gamepad controller.

It has absolutely nothing to do with being a "crappy console port". If you follow that mentality you're going to miss out on some of the best games available on PC that are best played with a gamepad.

Picked this up on Steam.

Anybody know a way to get rid of the giant analog dead zone with a controller (i.e. wired 360 pad in my case).

ArjanN

AnEternalEnigma said:
Play Super Meat Boy on the PC with the keyboard and get back at me.

I can play Super Meat Boy with keyboard just fine.

A better example would have been Devil May Cry 4.

Ben2749 said:
I actually think the Plasma Cutter is the best weapon in the game.
I agree

I went through the game with a "I'll buy another gun when the Plasma Cutter isn't enough to stop them anymore" and never got to that point.

I've had this since the day it came out and I finally beat it today! I kept getting stuck in places and putting it aside. It was pretty crazy, I had it on hard because I think I'd just coasted through Silent Hill right before I bought this and I didn't want to start over. Really cool game and freaked me out a bunch of times, hope it doesn't take me 2 years to finish Dead Space 2. :lol

Yasae

Banned
valeo said:

In some games analog sensitivity is nice. Analog triggers and thumbsticks in GTA IV, for example, make the driving a much better experience.

RedSwirl

valeo said:

Beer Monkey said:
Picked this up on Steam.

Anybody know a way to get rid of the giant analog dead zone with a controller (i.e. wired 360 pad in my case).

Just turning off Vsync didn't work for me either. I had to also force triple buffering, either through the video card control panel or through D3DOverrider. Made the whole game run much better.

As for controller vs Kb/M on PC games, some games aren't really PC games but console games that happen to have PC versions. Dead Space is one such game. Kb/M controls are workable for this game and mouse aiming is probably superior, but the overall UI is definitely better on a controller.

I keep around a 360 fight pad for games like Super Meat Boy. If I were to buy Devil May Cry 4 or Street Fighter IV on PC I'd probably use a 360 pad and a Fight Stick respectively. Those games were made for controllers, just like most first person shooters being made for Kb/M.

Ok guys, just got this one and will be trying to finish it before the 2nd hits. Problem is I'm not into horror games but this one was so heavily recommended that I just couldn't pass it.
Few questions:
1. How long is it?
2. Is it hard?
3. Any tips before I start?
4. Any way of fixing that sluggish mouse?

I hope I stay sane :)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Melhisedek said:
Ok guys, just got this one and will be trying to finish it before the 2nd hits. Problem is I'm not into horror games but this one was so heavily recommended that I just couldn't pass it.
Few questions:
1. How long is it?
2. Is it hard?
3. Any tips before I start?
4. Any way of fixing that sluggish mouse?

I hope I stay sane :)

1. Average, 8-10ish hours
2. Not really, but you can't go on and spend bullets like candy
3. Enjoy one of the best games of this generation ( and for me personally ; of all time )
4. Apparently running d3doverrider fixes the sluggish mouse

Disableing vsync did the trick with the mouse but is there a way to enable AA? Tried forcing it with Radeon Pro but I get all kinds of weird stuff on screen

mrpeabody

Started my fourth playthrough to get ready for the second game and to pick up the last couple of achievements (One Gun and both of the asteroids ones).

The graphics and sound are so satisfying. Especially any time you're looking out into space or in space (the bridge, those early zero-g segments), it's just jawdropping.

"Your lack of confidence in me *is* duly noted, Miss Daniels." :lol

I started tinker with the PC version, trying to figure out if I want to use a controller or keyboard and mouse. V-synch is off in the in game options and I'm using D3DOverrider for triple buffering and v-synch. The mouse controls still feel off but with the controller there's a huge dead zone in the analog sticks. I know people complained about the mouse controls but has anyone else noticed the large dead zone when using a Xbox 360 wired controller? Is there anything I can do?

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed the issue was mentioned on this same page.

Mesijs

Picked it up AGAIN and I'm near the end now. Thinking whether to play it on impossible or not.

So, some questions on impossible.
- Is it really hard...? For example, Crushing in the Uncharted games was fine for me, is it like that more or less?
- What's the best weapon strategy? ONLY the cutter or a sidearm as well?
- What about the upgrade strategy?

Thx guys. Just 3 chapters to go and then I'm done with the first playthrough of this game. A little late, I admit.

SamuraiX-

I've been trying to play through this game since it first came out and only recently I've finally muscled through the first 6 chapters. On Chapter 7 now and it feels like this game should be done and over with. Completing every chapter feels like such a damn accomplishment. My heart races whenever I turn a new corner or enter into a new room. The designers did such an awesome job of making everything about this game gruesome and horrifying.

Survival-horror game of this generation for sure. That'll probably change after I play Dead Space 2.

This game is what Resident Evil 5 should have been.

Drewsky

I feel the same way as Samurai. I've been trying to play through it to get ready for DS2 (never got past chapter 6 my first playthrough). Just started chapter 7 and I'm still enjoying the hell out of it but it's rough, man.

Can't wait to finish it and dig into DS2 though.

JohngPR

I decided to replay the game from the beginning. I was on Chapter 9 when I stopped playing it a few years ago.

This time I decided to bring my wife along for the ride since she likes watching me play scary games.

Holy shit, I've never heard her scream like that....like sheer terror type shit. LMAO

It sounded like someone was assaulting her ass in real life.

I'm glad that I started over despite the fact that I was close to beating it because I forgot a lot about the game (and the story) and I think it deserves it's due. I know I'm going to beat it soon since I just got DS2 CE delivered last Friday.

I've also been playing Dead Space Extraction with my Move controller when the wife is at work and save Dead Space for when we are together. She told me she literally couldn't handle me playing it anymore and needed a break the other nightbecause it was giving her anxiety. LOL

Smo21

Picked this up on Steam when it was on sale and i just beat it. Surprisingly it ran perfectly on my 2007 Macbook Pro. Great game, cant wait to pick up DS2.

JohngPR

joelseph said:
Box quote.

LOL

I know this is only 2+ years old, but the graphics still hold up exceptionally well, especially the
outer space
areas. I actually thought "whoa" to myself a few times. Good stuff.

This time around I'll be only using the Plasma Cutter, not only for the trophy, but also because I want lack of ammo to be at a minimum.

Drewsky

So I just beat this for the first time. I'd played it when it first came out till about chapter 6, but then something else came out and this kind of got lost in the backlog. But since the sequel just came out, I decided to give this the full play through before I picked that up.

And oh my god it was fucking awesome. The tension in the first 3/4 of the game is so well done. I wasn't ever really scared per se, but there was a constant sense of impending doom. Then I got to the last couple of chapters, with my line gun and plasma cutter pretty much fully upgraded, and just totally tore things apart. I've had very few experiences in game that much up to the satisfaction of just mowing through the armies of necromorphs the game throws at you in the last couple chapters. Soo fucking good. And the contact beam was absolutely amazing to use as well. (Those were the only three guns I used the whole game plasma cutter, line gun, and contact beam.)

So I'm gushing over this, sorry. I'm still buzzing from that final boss fight. Can't fucking wait to get the second game, but I'm snowed in damnit. Probably should have started a LTTP thread for this but I figured there were most likely a ton of those for a game like this, and the OT had been active recently so I just used this.

JohngPR

Just beat this for the first time. I liked that the supposed equipment used weren't actual weapons, but mining tools. Also liked the fact that your guy was a regular dude put into a shitty situation.

Like Drewsky said, the pacing in the game is great. The game isn't so much scary as it is very tense. I love this approach compared to straight up Survival-Horror.

The ending was pretty cool as well.
You can see from a mile away that Nicole was already dead, but I like the idea that Isaac might be going insane. Make me wonder who it as that was helping him along the way...was the Hivemind really taking physical shape to help him out or did Isaac just imagine someone helping him while he was doing everything?

By the end of the game, when you finally got to see his face when he takes off his mining helmet, he looks totally broken...poor guy.

You can see from a mile away that Nicole was already dead, but I like the idea that Isaac might be going insane. Makes me wonder who it was that was helping him along the way...was the Hivemind really taking physical shape to help him out or did Isaac just imagine someone helping him while he was doing everything?

By the end of the game when he takes off his helmet and you finally get to see his face, he looks totally broken...poor guy.

Also it was pretty cool that (slight Dead Space Extraction spoilers):
the setting at the end of Dead Space 1 took place in the introductory setting of Dead Space Extraction.

Rickard

bPod said:
what's the easiest way to kill those things that are stuck to the wall that spew out babies with tails

1 Alt fire with the line gun, 1 alt fire with the force gun, tk an explosive or catch one of the tailbabies and fling it back.

SamuraiX-

Recently got to Chapter 9.

Damn, those fuckers with stasis modules fused into their bodies are a pain. I'm playing on Hard and I just happen to be short on ammo. I have enough money buy more ammunition, but I want to challenge myself to only use what I can scavenge.

Stasis only sticks on them for like a second and they hit you quick and hard. I've tried the Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, Force Gun, and Contact Beam on these bitches and I felt like the Force Gun alt. fire has been most effective. Contact Beam takes too long to charge and I feel like they dodge it easily.

Any tips for these guys? I'm having a bitch of a time getting past the cargo hold area where you first encounter them.

Drewsky

SamuraiX- said:
Recently got to Chapter 9.
I didn't have that many problems with them. What difficulty are you on? They normally make a b-line at you once they've got you in their sites, granted they are pretty fast, but I never had any trouble hitting them with a line gun across the legs. At least that was normally my strategy.

SamuraiX-

Drewsky said:
I didn't have that many problems with them. What difficulty are you on? They normally make a b-line at you once they've got you in their sites, granted they are pretty fast, but I never had any trouble hitting them with a line gun across the legs. At least that was normally my strategy.

Playing on Hard and short on ammo. Trying not to "cheese" by buying any from the Shop.

Don't have many line racks on me.

They kill me in like 2 or 3 hits too. Pretty crazy.

I'm sure I'll get past them eventually, but I hate dying and restarting because it takes the suspense away from these situations. And I just was wondering if there was anything special about how I should tackle them.

JohngPR said:
Have you upgraded your stasis via power nodes? You can increas the duration of it via benches.

Ahhh, never even considered this. I always thought upgrading stasis was useless. This scenario has definitely proven me wrong. :p

The Line Gun was generally my favorite gun to use, not just on Stasis slashers but on most enemies. Something very satisfying about cutting off the legs and watching it start crawling around.

SamuraiX-

I finally beat it. Wooh!

Damn, what a trip. The lore and world of the game's universe is really amazing. I love the originality the developers went with. I really want to attempt to run through it again on Impossible difficulty and then also back through on Hard to try only using the Plasma Cutter... but damn, man, I feel hesitated. I've played through all the Resident Evil games and never did I still feel like too much of a pussy to jump back in and run through the game again if I wanted to.

I took advantage of that Amazon deal this past week and Dead Space 2 should be in transit to me right now. I'm worried about playing that because of all the complaints I'm hearing about the final stages.

So, yeah. Bravo Visceral Games. Truly a magnificent game through and through. A standalone at the top of the survival-horror genre, in my opinion. Sorry I'm so late to the party, but I'm grateful to have finally played through it.

So for those that have done it already, how is it playing through on Impossible and running through it using only the Plasma Cutter (any difficulty)? Any tips? What parts of the game aggravated you guys the most?

Drewsky

Don't be hesitant to play DS2, it's fantastic. The last few chapters are kind of a grind, but it's a great game no matter what.

SamuraiX-

Heh thanks man. I'm definitely excited to play Dead Space 2, but I'm just worried about playing through that end game because Dead Space gave me some difficulty in some areas on Hard already.

SamuraiX- said:
So for those that have done it already, how is it playing through on Impossible and running through it using only the Plasma Cutter (any difficulty)? Any tips? What parts of the game aggravated you guys the most?

Anyone willing to offer their stories? :)

I feel more willing to play through Dead Space again. lol

codecow

SamuraiX- said:
Heh thanks man. I'm definitely excited to play Dead Space 2, but I'm just worried about playing through that end game because Dead Space gave me some difficulty in some areas on Hard already.

Anyone willing to offer their stories? :)

I feel more willing to play through Dead Space again. lol

You can change the difficulty via the pause menu on DS2 during play. Go for it!

Top Bottom