• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

SamuraiX-

codecow said:
You can change the difficulty via the pause menu on DS2 during play. Go for it!

Yeah, I know but I hate to cheat like that. Whatever difficulty I go with I'll stick with. I'll just be sure to be just as cautious as I was in Dead Space about conserving ammo and scavenging all I can.

Snookie

I bought this game back in July or so when the greatest hits for PS3 was on sale for some dumb low price. I played through the first chapter and thought cool and never really touched it again. I guess I was busy with something else. So I got suckered into buying DS2 on amazon last week so I figured I'd better finish this one. I'm up to chapter 6 and god damn this game is awesome. I had to take a break from it because I was getting all worked up from it. lol.

LiK

Been replaying this on PS3. I beat it originally on 360. Still scary. I also got the turret trophy which I didn't get originally on the 360. That felt good.

Playing through this for the first time so I can play DS2. This game is scary and I'm loving it...because I'm playing on easy lol.

I hate the dumb "seated shooter" missions, but everything else is pretty fucking badass.

Baron

I'm replaying the game for the third time now - I think the scariest location of the game for me is the morgue. And it's not even what happens there, it's more what I imagine could and did happen there. Yikes!

SamuraiX-

Snookie said:
I bought this game back in July or so when the greatest hits for PS3 was on sale for some dumb low price. I played through the first chapter and thought cool and never really touched it again. I guess I was busy with something else. So I got suckered into buying DS2 on amazon last week so I figured I'd better finish this one. I'm up to chapter 6 and god damn this game is awesome. I had to take a break from it because I was getting all worked up from it. lol.

Your story is pretty much the exact same as mine. lol

I just finished the game over this past weekend now I'm going through my Plasma Cutter only run. Even though I'm used to everything, I still feel tense when I'm playing it again.

Baron said:
I'm replaying the game for the third time now - I think the scariest location of the game for me is the morgue. And it's not even what happens there, it's more what I imagine could and did happen there. Yikes!

Definitely. Chapter 2 and Chapter 5. The two chapters I hated the most to play through.

That said, Chapter 4 is my favorite because of the awesome location and you just feel more safe there than anywhere else on the ship, imo. :p

BeeDog

Sorry for bumping this topic again, but I repurchased the first game to replay it (since I love this IP so much). I need to clarify one thing though:

I recall that there were some issues pertaining to the suits. I have the Obsidian and Scorpion DLC suits, but I recall that if you chose one of them, you would lock yourself out of either damage resistance or inventory slots later on (since you can't then buy the regular suits or something). Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks in advance!

Deadly

I just read that it seems fixing the mouse sensitivity for this is not exactly achievable. I connected my 360 controller but the camera moves abit too fast, is there a way to change that?

SamuraiX-

Hey, guys. Quick question.

For the Maxed Out trophy. Do I need to be in possession of all the weapons and equipment, fully upgraded, to get the trophy?

What if I fully upgraded a weapon, and then sell it. Does it still count toward the trophy or would I have to buy it back and fully upgrade it again because the fully upgraded weapon actually has to be in my possession?

Edit: Never mind. I think I found my answer. It seems really hard because I'm on my 3rd playthrough on Hard now and I still need more nodes after blowing through my money.

Steroyd

How do you efficiently kill these things!?

"Head"shots isn't the golden bullet anymore or is that done on purpose to unnerve me everytime one pops up. :(

Roscoe

Neo Member
Steroyd said:

"Head"shots isn't the golden bullet anymore or is that done on purpose to unnerve me everytime one pops up. :(

I you are rocking the plasma cutter, orient it horizontally and then take out the legs. Once that is done you can dispose of them by cutting off the arms. If your frugal about ammo you can also hit them with stasis and stomp the crap out of them after step one.

Head shots at best will only serve to disorient nercros but once their blind they will attack more randomly and faster.

Steroyd said:

You mean you haven't gotten to the part where the game tells you "Shoot the limbs!" like five times within ten minutes? :lol

Steroyd

NEOPARADIGM said:
You mean you haven't gotten to the part where the game tells you "Shoot the limbs!" like five times within ten minutes? :lol

I must have subconsciously dismissed that or something, because my years of gamer logic states "shoot the goddamn head" lol.

I'm a hoarder by nature, so I try to spare as many bullets as I can in these types of games, but it sounds like I have to fight against my nature. ;_;

Gvaz

Banned
Once you upgrade your suit enough and you spend enough points in it, you shouldn't really have that much issue with space at the end of the game.

Bulzeeb

I am at chapter 7 but the game have turned into a chore and a bit stale, so I haven't played it for a while. What really bothers me is how the game went form something scary yet fun to something repetitive and predictable =/ anyways I'll try to finish the game this month so lets hope I can find that charm that was lost somewhere in between chapter 4 and 6

Chris R

Somewhere in chapter 2, I ran across these little buglike things. They took a shitload of my health while I jammed on A as hard as I could... Any way to get them to not take 3/4 of my life???

Getting into the game more now though, now that I have the controls down, and know how to play the game.

Pneophen

Neo Member
rhfb said:
Somewhere in chapter 2, I ran across these little buglike things. They took a shitload of my health while I jammed on A as hard as I could... Any way to get them to not take 3/4 of my life???

Early on, your best bet is to try to pick them off from a distance or hit them with an explosive container. Later on you'll get weapons with a wider area range that can take them out easier.

I decided to do a no armor run and found out it kinda makes the game pretty easy since you can concentrate all your money on upgrades instead of new suits. Still fun though.

Chris R

Pneophen said:
Early on, your best bet is to try to pick them off from a distance or hit them with an explosive container. Later on you'll get weapons with a wider area range that can take them out easier.

I decided to do a no armor run and found out it kinda makes the game pretty easy since you can concentrate all your money on upgrades instead of new suits. Still fun though.
Ah I didn't even see them. I must have ran through them trying to make it back to the tram area. Next time I'll try to stomp them or shoot them with the gun. Good thing I had my suit already upgraded to +25 hp otherwise I would have been dead :(

Pneophen

Neo Member
Stomping is probably not the best idea, because even if you take out one the rest will jump on you. The other encounters with them aren't that bad because you can usually spot them before they get close to you. It's just that first time when you aren't expecting them where they are really annoying.

Chris R

Pneophen said:
Stomping is probably not the best idea, because even if you take out one the rest will jump on you. The other encounters with them aren't that bad because you can usually spot them before they get close to you. It's just that first time when you aren't expecting them where they are really annoying.
Well I hope my little pea shooter does decent damage then :)

Took awhile to get my bearings back after doing chapter 1 like a month ago, but after 10 mins I was back into the swing of things. Wish the menu in game had controller mappings though :(

SamuraiX-

rhfb said:
Well I hope my little pea shooter does decent damage then :)

Took awhile to get my bearings back after doing chapter 1 like a month ago, but after 10 mins I was back into the swing of things. Wish the menu in game had controller mappings though :(

Purchase the Line Gun if you haven't already. Incredibly useful.

I found the best strategy against the swarmers (before you get the Ripper anyway) is to stasis them when you see a wave and just plant a timed mine right on top of them with the Line Gun's secondary fire.

1 line rack and a whole pack of swamers are no more.

The whole idea is to tread carefully. Never rush through areas because those little bastards love trying to ambush you around corners.

Are there any weapons that I should avoid, and does the plasma rifle use the same gun as the cutter? I was going to purchase it until I realized I had never come across any ammo for it yet. I ended up upgrading my suit instead.

SamuraiX-

Jimmy Stav said:
Are there any weapons that I should avoid, and does the plasma rifle use the same gun as the cutter? I was going to purchase it until I realized I had never come across any ammo for it yet. I ended up upgrading my suit instead.

Always upgrade your suit before anything.

The only weapon I'd really tell you to avoid in this game is the flamethrower. It's just absolutely worthless and inefficient compared to the rest of the weapons, and it eats through ammo like no other.

And there's no plasma rifle. There's a pulse rifle, which does use different ammunition than the plasma cutter.

It's a decent weapon, but buy the line gun before the pulse rifle.

Chris R

Well I might be done with the game. Tried to pass the asteroids bit multiple times now, but I keep dying due to not being able to aim precisely with a thumbstick. Taking a break but I guess tomorrow I try to crank the sensitivity and treat the stick like a trackball :| Just bringing back all the reasons I fucking hate shooters on consoles. But I guess I can't complain too much since I'm just borrowing the 360 version from a coworker vs buying the PC version on steam or something. I'm liking some of the other stuff the game is doing though (the space/zero-g stuff is really really good, the tension is good, would be better with more scares and less combat imo but whatever :p) but if I can't get past this segment I'll just have to buy it on PC and ace the segment with a mouse :(

edit: Nevermind the above. Using BOTH triggers made the asteroids segment easy. No instructions going into it so yesterday I was only using 1 trigger and getting MESSED up. With both triggers it was a cakewalk.

krzy123

I'm on Chap 10, the game was pretty awesome up until now, but now its a chore to finish. I think the "revisit parts of the ship" levels should have been removed. I liked going to the new parts of the ship, so going back to an old section was disappointing (luckily they were the shortest chapters in the game). I'll probably finish it this week.

You can tell some parts of the game were designed to for sluggish type controls (the Z-Ball game especially), I wonder if the PC controls were purposely defaulted like that. Game runs amazing though w/ D3DOverrider.

Mest30

Banned
I'm playing through this game for the first time. I'm not very far in
and I'm already about to call it quits. I'm at the first zero gravity part
and have no clue what to do or how to do it. Any help? The
first chapter was kick ass but this zero gravity shit sucks.

krzy123

Mest30 said:
I'm playing through this game for the first time. I'm not very far in
and I'm already about to call it quits. I'm at the first zero gravity part
and have no clue what to do or how to do it. Any help? The
first chapter was kick ass but this zero gravity shit sucks.

point your gun where you want to go, press ctrl (on pc) dunno about consoles. Use kinesis to grab items, supply boxes. zero-g is ok, no oxygen parts are annoying.

Chris R

For consoles it is left trigger plus Y (360, guessing L2 + Triangle for PS3) Just point and aim. You can't jump everywhere. And I actually like the zero-g stuff, and the no oxygen stuff too. Just don't like when that stuff is combined with shooting stuff.

Guys I just bought this game. DS2 looks so amazing that I have to play the first one.

But I suck at playing scary games. I'm really really terrified... Any tips on how to stomach it out, when you're a pu**y?:(

Scary movies don't bother me, but there is something about games.. I really wanna see were the story goes in DS1 and DS2 too.. It looks and feels amazing. I just need... help.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Guys I just bought this game. DS2 looks so amazing that I have to play the first one.

But I suck at playing scary games. I'm really really terrified... Any tips on how to stomach it out, when you're a pu**y?:(

Scary movies don't bother me, but there is something about games.. I really wanna see were the story goes in DS1 and DS2 too.. It looks and feels amazing. I just need... help.

Don't play at night, don't play with headphones (or even with the sound off or muffled although you would be missing out big time). Or play with someone.

BaronLundi said:
Don't play at night, don't play with headphones (or even with the sound off or muffled although you would be missing out big time). Or play with someone.

What about difficulty? When I played the demo, what scared me how easy you die. I guess that's also the appeal to see yourself get dismembered so insanely...

Vigilant Walrus said:
What about difficulty? When I played the demo, what scared me how easy you die. I guess that's also the appeal to see yourself get dismembered so insanely...

I don't remember the first Dead Space to be particularly hard on normal difficulty (well except for the infamous
asteroids pew-pewing part
) nor dying that easily (then again I'm playing Ninja Gaiden sigma 2 at the moment so my take on this issue might be blurry...).

Micius

Vigilant Walrus said:

It's not particularly hard once you get past the beginning where you have very limited inventory, weapons and armor. Once the shops open up and you can buy health packs, upgrade weapons and such it's pretty straightforward. There are a few frustrating bits here and there but nothing too bad.

Chris R

Vigilant Walrus said:
I played on easy (would have no problem on medium or hard now that I know how the game controls and how to defeat certain enemies) and the game was tough, but not cheap in any way. I did die plenty of times, but the check pointing is pretty good. Only time I died a bunch was on one of the puzzles (well, that and the asteroid shooting portion). Take it slow, learn the controls and how to defeat the enemies, learn to love your stomp early on, and enjoy.

Good story, but it starts slow and only really comes together towards the end. Will be picking up DS2 whenever I can get it for cheap though. Doubt I'll go back and play DS again on impossible/ect though. Once was plenty :)

I played through the first time on easy and enjoyed it. I liked taking in the entire game without always worrying about health and ammo. Now that I'm a total badass, I'm bumping up the difficulty and loving the combat. This game is solid.

CrankyJay

Banned
Real LTTP on this one. I wasn't too impressed with the demo but picked it up for $20 like 2 years ago and it has just been sitting on my shelf.

I'm sorry I waited. The game is simply incredible. I'm really enjoying it. Played like 4 hours straight.

Vard

LTTP as well. I'm on Chapter 9 now (normal difficulty). About halfway through the game it stopped being scary, and I think it's because I've fully upgraded my Plasma Cutter and can afford to keep 150 bullets + 3 medium med packs on me at any given time. Still, it is a pretty fun game and the sound design really is top-notch. I just wished I could care a little bit more about the story, which doesn't do much for me (and I really like The Thing).

Clott

Vard said:
LTTP as well. I'm on Chapter 9 now (normal difficulty). About halfway through the game it stopped being scary, and I think it's because I've fully upgraded my Plasma Cutter and can afford to keep 150 bullets + 3 medium med packs on me at any given time. Still, it is a pretty fun game and the sound design really is top-notch. I just wished I could care a little bit more about the story, which doesn't do much for me (and I really like The Thing).

Strange, I got really caught up in the story, but I am a sucker for the stuck in a hostile place lets get out alive scenario.

krzy123

Finished it yesterday, loved the atmosphere/setting + sound design. Finding out bits and pieces from video/audio/txt logs was nice. Outside of the first several chapters ammo wasn't an issue. Finished w/ about 20-30 medium med. packs, several hundred plasma shots,hundred line gun shots and about 100k unused credits. Only used two weapons (plasma cutter/line gun). Played on normal.

Game leveled off around Chapter 8/9. Bosses were somewhat disappointing
here comes another tentacle monster!
. But I still enjoyed myself.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just finished. Awesome, awesome game. A game I like so much, I might just attempt to platinum it. But that might require another 2+ playthroughs. Not sure my nerves can take it. =)

Vamphuntr

CrankyJay said:
Just finished. Awesome, awesome game. A game I like so much, I might just attempt to platinum it. But that might require another 2+ playthroughs. Not sure my nerves can take it. =)

I just finished my Dead Space marathon. Played both games back to back for the first time. I have to say I loved the second one much more than the first so you're in for a treat if you get part 2. Both are really great games.

As for the posts above I have to say the only disappointment I have in both games is that most of the times I died because of environment hazards (turret sequence, gravity floor, decompressed trying to vacuum enemies, crushed by some piece of equipment or died in those flying sequences in part 2) and not because of the enemies. The games are not really scary but they will sure make you panic when you are overrun with enemies.

CrankyJay

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
I just finished my Dead Space marathon. Played both games back to back for the first time. I have to say I loved the second one much more than the first so you're in for a treat if you get part 2. Both are really great games.

My backlog is so big Dead Space 2 will have to wait a while. By the time I get around to playing it, I hope it's $20 like Dead Space was when I bought it.

The sound in this game was amazing, and that's only off the TV speakers. I can only imagine how fucking scary it is with full surround.

Vamphuntr

CrankyJay said:
My backlog is so big Dead Space 2 will have to wait a while. By the time I get around to playing it, I hope it's $20 like Dead Space was when I bought it.

I think it will be 20$ pretty soon. It's now 40$ but I only paid 30$ for it since I had a 25% off discount at the EA store. It's really worth it if you liked the first.

CrankyJay

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
I think it will be 20$ pretty soon. It's now 40$ but I only paid 30$ for it since I had a 25% off discount at the EA store. It's really worth it if you liked the first.

To be honest, I downloaded the demo for it back in 2008 or 2009 and disliked it, but still bought the game because of the solid recommendation GAF gave it. When they're right they're right.

CrankyJay

Banned
Aw fuck, I got thru 5 chapters on hard before realizing to get the Epic Tier 3 Engineer you need to play on impossible. Fuck that.

scitek

Yes the 360 pad works fine.

CrankyJay said:
Aw fuck, I got thru 5 chapters on hard before realizing to get the Epic Tier 3 Engineer you need to play on impossible. Fuck that.
Once you know the game well enough, Impossible is actually pretty easy.

Ledsen

CrankyJay said:

Impossible is really easy if you do it with only the plasma cutter (getting One Gun in the process). You'll annihilate everything with your fully upgraded weapon and have tons of health because you'll be able to upgrade the suit.

Meier

Got through the first two stages.. wow, really solid thus far -- I was actually shocked I was only done with the 2nd chapter and not much further along in the game. Had a few jump moments when one of the seemingly dead aliens turned out to be alive and attacked me as I walked by and then just general shit! type moments when getting swarmed. Graphics are great on high with max resolution -- I so rarely play PC games so you kinda forget how much better they can look than console titles.

My only complaint is related to the 360 pad on the PC since it has some "dead zones" if you will while trying to adjust your view/aim. The controls work fine although I couldn't figure out how to run initially since I think the on-screen prompt was incorrect but once I got the controls down it was all good.

Top Bottom