• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Raistlin

gregor7777 said:
What causes that in the PS3 version but not any of the others?

Does that shadow banding show up in the PC version? That can't be right.

DeadSpace_04_PS3.png

I'm guessing its a bug? Other than that location, I haven't noticed it anywhere else (I'm currently on chapter 4).

Admittedly, I didn't really start looking for it until Chapter 3. I'll post if I see it anywhere else though. At this point, the only lighting issues I've seen are jagged shadows, but that appears to be the same in all versions.

RoH said:
Word from the EA Dead Space support forum agrees with you, it also has some bad bugs that can cause you to crash; the only bug I have experienced with Vista 64 are the mouse lag caused by 30fps frame lock and the settings bug that causes the game to fail to boot.
as i like to keep advising people, if you use the vsync in your graphics card drivers rather than the one in game, you will get at least 60 fps locked (though depending on your monitor you could get even higher) if your pc is up to it. doesn't seem a very demanding game at all either.

for how great it looks, it runs absurdly well. it's either awesome art covering for a game that isn't that technically impressive or ninja coding.

the team said EA were considering licensing the engine. they absolutely should.

kinggroin

Banned
Ok, I'm getting pretty damn frustrated here...

how do I solve the following area:

The one room in chapter 5 where it's you, 1 regenerator, and a bunch of necros. There's a locked door I'm suppose to head through, but the battery I inserted earlier in the game seems broken?

It's on the way to getting a
dna sample

thanks

somnific

kinggroin said:

The one room in chapter 5 where it's you, 1 regenerator, and a bunch of necros. There's a locked door I'm suppose to head through, but the battery I inserted earlier in the game seems broken?

dna sample

thanks

kill the other necros. save your stasis for the regenerator. after the others are dead, kendra will open the doors.

Zeliard

kinggroin said:

dna sample

thanks

Cripple the regenerator and slow him down with stasis so you can concentrate on the other creatures. Once you kill all of those guys, the door opens.

that room is still my only major annoyance with the game so far.

there is NOTHING to clue you into what you need to do to get out of there, and it doesn't make sense either really.

kinggroin

Banned
Zeliard said:
Cripple the regenerator and slow him down with stasis so you can concentrate on the other creatures. Once you kill all of those guys, the door opens.

oh lord, really? One of those?

Tell me, does the game degenerate into this kind of "gameplay" from here on out? In your opinion, is it worth sticking through (I've mostly had a great time so far, but the backtracking and recycled scares are giving me doom 3 flashbacks)?

edit: I just lol'd when I realized at one point, I had posted "Dead Space = GOTY" somewhere in this thread :lol

kinggroin said:
oh lord, really? One of those?

Tell me, does the game degenerate into this kind of "gameplay" from here on out? In your opinion, is it worth sticking through (I've mostly had a great time so far, but the backtracking and recycled scares are giving me doom 3 flashbacks)?
i'm midway through chapter 7. no one room has been as obtuse as that one since.

epmode

plagiarize said:
as i like to keep advising people, if you use the vsync in your graphics card drivers rather than the one in game, you will get at least 60 fps locked (though depending on your monitor you could get even higher) if your pc is up to it. doesn't seem a very demanding game at all either.

for how great it looks, it runs absurdly well. it's either awesome art covering for a game that isn't that technically impressive or ninja coding.

the team said EA were considering licensing the engine. they absolutely should.
QFT. I'm running at 2560x1600, full detail with a better framerate than WoW. Dead Space is awesome, awesome is Dead Space.

JUST FIX THE GODDAMN PC GAMEPAD CONTROLS EDITOR, OK?

epmode said:
QFT. I'm running at 2560x1600, full detail with a better framerate than WoW. Dead Space is awesome, awesome is Dead Space.

JUST FIX THE GODDAMN PC GAMEPAD CONTROLS EDITOR, OK?
buy a 360 gamepad. accept that it's the standard gamepad for PCs and you'll almost never have to fuck around with those annoyances ever again. even died in the wool PC shooters like Crysis 'just work' with a 360 pad.

i don't mind being stuck with enemies in a room that is a puzzle... so long as the solution isn't completely obtuse and makes some kind of logical sense. we'll see if this scenario you hint at annoys me or not when i reach it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zeliard said:
Refresh my memory. There's another regenerator that shows up after you freeze him?

Yep, in that area
with all the boxes you have to move (Chapter 9?). It's even worse because you trap yourself in with him and have to move boxes to get out, and then you have the 5 necros to deal with as well.

Danielsan

Zeliard said:
Refresh my memory. There's another regenerator that shows up after you freeze him?
It's the same one but yeah, you have to escape from him again at some point. Then you getm to kill him once and for all with a rocket engine.

Zeliard

Oh, right. :lol

Been a couple weeks since I've played it, since I got it the day it came out. I thought fighting the regenerator was honestly some of the best parts in the game. Yeah, the "puzzle" in that first room was pretty annoying, but you only have to figure it out once.

I thought that guy added a huge amount of tension to the proceedings, and he really isn't that bad if you abuse him with stasis. Cut off his legs, stasis him, when that wears off cut off his arms and stasis him again. He has to regenerate after that and he'll take a while and be fairly harmless if you do it that way, and you can destroy the other creatures pretty easily.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zeliard said:
Oh, right. :lol
I thought that guy added a huge amount of tension to the proceedings, and he really isn't that bad if you abuse him with stasis. Cut off his legs, stasis him, when that wears off cut off his arms and stasis him again. He has to regenerate after that and he'll take a while if you do it that way, and you can destroy the other creatures fairly easily.

I wish they had used him more, like a Tyrant/Mr. X character that stalks you throughout the game.

epmode

plagiarize said:
buy a 360 gamepad.
I have one. I'm using it.

However, Dead Space apparently didn't like my XBCD custom drivers (which are pretty much required if you want the thing to work on any game not made in the last 12 months).

Don't worry, I fixed it. Even made a post about it a few page back.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I rented this out last night. Played it for about 20 minutes and took it back.

Then returned home with my own copy of it! So glad I didn't miss out on this game. It went totally under my radar. Its fantastic. Like playing Doom 3 in a parallel universe where Doom 3 isn't a pile of crap.

rj1v8x.jpg

RoH

plagiarize said:
buy a 360 gamepad. accept that it's the standard gamepad for PCs and you'll almost never have to fuck around with those annoyances ever again. even died in the wool PC shooters like Crysis 'just work' with a 360 pad.

i don't mind being stuck with enemies in a room that is a puzzle... so long as the solution isn't completely obtuse and makes some kind of logical sense. we'll see if this scenario you hint at annoys me or not when i reach it.

Or get somthing like this:

Best peripheral I have yet come across in a long while.

N52te

BeeDog

I hope someone can clear up something from the beginning of chapter 2 (since I wasn't paying enough attention at that moment):

After you get off the tram right at the beginning, is the chick dying on the ground that chick from the beginning of the game that was with you on the ship?

Saya

BeeDog said:
I hope someone can clear up something from the beginning of chapter 2 (since I wasn't paying enough attention at that moment):

After you get off the tram right at the beginning, is the chick dying on the ground that chick from the beginning of the game that was with you on the ship?

Nope.

RoH

gregor7777 said:
Yeah, I just moved on past that shit as quick as I could. Disturbing.

Before I went into that room I read the big billboard that said something to the effect of those babies where going to be used for spare parts; thats all the incentive I needed not to feel bad.

Kadey said:
Seeing those little babies in test tubes. :(

speaking of that:

why were there babies in test tubes in the first place?

RoH said:
Before I went into that room I read the big billboard that said something to the effect of those babies where going to be used for spare parts; thats all the incentive I needed not to feel bad.

oh... i must have missed that

RoH said:

:lol I missed that

Chiggs

Gold Member
gregor7777 said:
Yeah, I just moved on past that shit as quick as I could. Disturbing.

Honestly, that was one of the moments where I thought they had tried too hard, especially when I heard that nursery rhyme start playing. Puh-lease. That and the obnoxious British woman who constantly murmurs crap like "her father took a management position with the CEC" over the PA got on my nerves.

RoH

Kadey said:
They are soooooooooo cute!!! Wait, does that mean someone was manufacturing necromorphs then?

Humans made the Necromorphs using a code found on the original earth marker,
or so the lore goes.

Chiggs said:
Honestly, that was one of the moments where I thought they had tried too hard, especially when I heard that nursery rhyme start playing. Puh-lease. That and the obnoxious British woman who constantly murmurs crap like "her father took a management position with the CEC" over the PA got on my nerves.
You're going to hate Twinkle Twinkle Little Star by the end of this game, then.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Always-honest said:
chapter six now.
regenerator was fun in Ch. 5. boy does he fuck you up when he gets a hold of you

Seriously, probably the best death sequence in the game, barring some hilarious zero-g stuff. Holy moly, is he/she/it brutal.

Revolutionary said:
You're going to hate Twinkle Twinkle Little Star by the end of this game, then.

Oh, I beat it yesterday. You're right, that was a little obnoxious. I tried to play it off by thinking it was just some loon singing it, but I kept coming back to the lobby and it kept going and going.

Chiggs said:
Seriously, probably the best death sequence in the game, barring some hilarious zero-g stuff. Holy moly, is he/she/it brutal.

Oh, I beat it yesterday. You're right, that was a little obnoxious. I tried to play it off by thinking it was just some loon singing it, but I kept coming back to the lobby and kept going and going.

yeah,
and when he's done ripping you to pieces.. he looks you in the eye..

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Can anyone who's playing on pc take a screencap of the opening shot (ship heading to the Ishimura)? I'd like to use that as a wallpaper.

Chiggs said:
Oh, I beat it yesterday. You're right, that was a little obnoxious. I tried to play it off by thinking it was just some loon singing it, but I kept coming back to the lobby and it kept going and going.
Worst part is that during the course of that chapter, you HAVE to go to the lobby at least 4 separate times... and the count goes up every time you need to use the Store and/or Bench.

Ugh.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just beat it on Hard, 12h29m total time. Jesus fucking CHRIST what a game! Very, very intense. Also incredibly frustrating, but no matter how hard it seemed, there was always a way to pull through, if just by the skin of my teeth.

Enough can't be said about the audio, simply the most incredible bass ever in a game. There were parts toward the end that I though my roof was going to cave in. I very much look forward to playing through it again, and I can't wait to see where they take the series.

Bravo EA, bravo.

Top Bottom